PDA

View Full Version : No Business Knob shelter

cascader
04-04-2008, 08:58
I spent the night here on March 30, at the end of a long 20 mile day. Nice, simple 3-sided single platform shelter with a cooking ledge in front of the sleeping platform. Room for 6. Good water source that day. No privy--this is where the privies stop as you go N (till I think N of Damascus?) Somone said, "that's why they call it No Business Knob, cause you can't do your business there." Not true--plenty of accomodating spots in the woods. Said her hiking friend would only use privies, and would hold it till he got to one. Told her he'd have to hold it for at least 100 miles north--

Tennessee Viking
04-04-2008, 12:36
We got one at Overmountain Barn. Our section is still strong with Forest Service shelters before privies become popular.

10-K
04-25-2008, 10:49
There are some good places to pitch a tent at this shelter too.

And from here it's pretty much downhill all the way to Erwin - but man, it seems like it takes *forever* to get off the mountain. I've done this section twice and both times I couldn't help but notice how long it seemed to take to get from the shelter to Uncle J's - the longest 6ish miles I've found yet.

Tennessee Viking
04-26-2008, 00:16
Thats one reason why its called No Business. It navigates through every little hollow. Then when you get to Temple Hill Ridge. You then have to take all those switchbacks.

Personally I didn't care for the climb up from Temple Hill Gap. After all those down hill miles, you have to go 500 up in less than half a mile.