PDA

View Full Version : There is a new Hiking Social Network!

X-LinkedHiker
04-04-2008, 14:30
http://www.hikersjournal.org is a pretty new network just for us outdoor enthusiasts. I just joined recently and it is quickly becoming my favorite hiking site. These forums are better for information and experiences but the journal is a great place to talk to other people that enjoy doing what you do.

Just thought I should share the new find.

Frosty
04-04-2008, 16:53
Mebbe, but I think I'll pass. My experience with hiking sites where you can't see what you are getting into unless you sign up has not been good.

They should allow the forums to be read as visitors, and if you want to participate then you can sign up.

http://www.hikersjournal.org is a pretty new network just for us outdoor enthusiasts. I just joined recently and it is quickly becoming my favorite hiking site. These forums are better for information and experiences but the journal is a great place to talk to other people that enjoy doing what you do.

Just thought I should share the new find.

Lilred
04-04-2008, 17:03
Good Grief, I spend too much time on this site, I don't need another, I'd never get out and hike.

X-LinkedHiker
04-04-2008, 18:17
He he, yeah I know what you guys mean. I go between quite a few sites when I am not actually out there on the trails or something. Hikers journal is more of a social network like a face book affiliate or something. The good thing is, it is pretty active outdoors people and not just internet stampers. You know, most people actually know what they are talking about and it is proving very useful for my trip out west. I didn't mean spa, just wanted to spread the word.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-04-2008, 18:44
Went over and registered. Not a very active site and the three threads I read were not very good.

First was recommending TV shows like Survivor Man and Man Against Wild for tips on what to do when you get lost in the woods.

Second thread recommended a facebook Kelty gear group - most of what was discussed in that group wasn't suitable for BPing IMO, but to each his own.

Third thread was about someone burning an 8" hole in a "circus size' tarp and how to fix it.

Where did you find good info on that site, X-LinkedHiker.

X-LinkedHiker
04-04-2008, 18:48
From the other members. It isn't really a forums as much as a social network. And it is brand new. Like just a couple of weeks or months i presume. But I have gotten some good information from other member out in Oregon and the rockies. To each is own.

By active I meant, physically active in the outdoors, not so much computer active.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-04-2008, 19:11
From the other members. It isn't really a forums as much as a social network. And it is brand new. Like just a couple of weeks or months i presume. But I have gotten some good information from other member out in Oregon and the rockies. To each is own.

By active I meant, physically active in the outdoors, not so much computer active.OH, I didn't realize you were looking for info on trails out west. You might want to join the PCT-email list (http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l) to meet active people out west.

X-LinkedHiker
04-04-2008, 19:13
Well thank you, this is why people like you need to share your information with the people on that site. He he. If you have knowledge, help people out. I will do that, but I am also looking for information across the whole country because I will be heading westbound on my bicycle in a month. I am the user Kevin on there that sent you a comment.

Skidsteer
04-04-2008, 20:05
Um, Welcome to WB! :welcome

Heater
04-04-2008, 22:56
Well thank you, this is why people like you need to share your information with the people on that site. He he. If you have knowledge, help people out. I will do that, but I am also looking for information across the whole country because I will be heading westbound on my bicycle in a month. I am the user Kevin on there that sent you a comment.

Also look at the "Other Long Trails" forums on this site for info on the PCT, CD. Long Trail, etc...

Heater
04-04-2008, 23:00
He he, yeah I know what you guys mean. I go between quite a few sites when I am not actually out there on the trails or something. Hikers journal is more of a social network like a face book affiliate or something. The good thing is, it is pretty active outdoors people and not just internet stampers. You know, most people actually know what they are talking about and it is proving very useful for my trip out west. I didn't mean spa, just wanted to spread the word.

Are you biking the American Discovery Trail?

ADT1 (http://www.discoverytrail.org/)

ADTonWB (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=419)

Jaybird62
04-05-2008, 00:30
If you need info on hiking, WB is kinda like the NY Giants.......number 1 baby!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:banana;)

Jaybird62
04-05-2008, 01:23
Dont be hatin!!!!!!(u patriot,packer,cowboy,buccaneer fans......u always got next year:p:p:p:p):cool: