PDA

View Full Version : Cozy Recipes

firefly
01-28-2004, 18:54
Anybody have any good recipes for cooking in a cozy? I just got the antigravity cookset with the cozy's and would love some ideas.

sakkit
01-28-2004, 19:57
What are good cozy recipes? What I like you may not like. ;) Well I do all my cooking in a Antigravity pot cozy! My pot is a Evernew .9Liter. One of my favorite recipes is Tamaki rice (this is a Japanese rice). Add 1 cup of rice, 1/2 cup dehydrated mixed veggies, 1 cube vegan bouillon, 1TBLS dried onion, 1/4 tps dried garlic, 1 TBLS dried mushrooms. and dried chives. Add 2 cups water. Place pot on stove. Cook til boiling. I use a alcohol stove (Brasslite), 3/4 oz of fuel will do the trick for me. Remove from stove place in cozy for 20 min. After 20 min eat! YUMMY!! :D

Sakkit

Cehoffpauir
01-28-2004, 21:29
Quinoa (pronounced "KEEN-wah") is an excellent and versatile grain, easy to cook fully in a cozy after boiling for a couple of minutes. It goes well with nearly every common spice, and once cooked is 5 times larger than when dry (raw). The tiny white grain bears a texture similar to corn grits, with a slight crunch. High in protein, B-vitamins, complex carbohydrates, and calcium, cook 1-part quinoa to 2-parts liquid (broth, tamari and water, etc).

"Because quinoa is high in protein and complex carbohydrates, low in fat, and richer in vitamins and minerals than other grains, the Andean people consider it an endurance food and include it as a daily staple."

"Two ounces of cooked quinoa offers 14% of the RDA for B6."

quotes taken from http://www.vegparadise.com/highestperch36.html

deeddawg
01-29-2004, 10:10
Quinoa's good -- a mix of quinoa, green chili peppers, and black beans is really tasty.

As for "cozy recipes" -- pretty much any recipe which calls for bringing the contents of the pot to a boil then simmering for a few minutes is a "cozy recipe". Bring to a boil and then place in the cozy.

The point of the simmer is to keep the food temperature near boiling so the food cooks. That is what a cozy does, only with less fuel. :banana

CanoeBlue
02-09-2004, 14:17
:clap

[QUOTE=Cehoffpauir]Quinoa (pronounced "KEEN-wah") is an excellent and versatile grain, easy to cook fully in a cozy after boiling for a couple of minutes. It goes well with nearly every common spice, and once cooked is 5 times larger than when dry (raw)........ "

Thanks for the tip. I had never heard of Quinoa, but after reading your post I picked some up at a health food store and started experimenting with it. The stuff is amazing (!) and will be a staple in my food planning.

Tabasco
03-04-2005, 13:51
OK, made a cozy today. 2 layers each side of 3/16" foam wrapped both sides with foil tape (honest to God DUCT TAPE) not the stuff most people call duct tape. Sealed all the edges, and put a velcro closure in the top and I was ready to go.

I had Lipton's Pasta Sides "Chicken Broccoli", 1 tbsp olive oil, and one tbsp Nido brand dried whole milk (that stuff RULES by the way), plus a Chicken of the sea tuna pouch. Deposited all the above in a quart ziploc freezer bag.

Boiled 2 cups water in TREK 700, poured into the ziploc, mixed, sealed, then sealed inside the aforementioned cozy. Let it sit for 20 minutes. Opened up the ziploc and it was way too watery still, and not enough residual heat to cook the mixture to thickening point.

Do I use less water and get crunchy noodles or what? Please help me Cozy Masters!

jlb2012
03-04-2005, 14:13
Boiled 2 cups water in TREK 700, poured into the ziploc, mixed, sealed, then sealed inside the aforementioned cozy. Let it sit for 20 minutes. Opened up the ziploc and it was way too watery still, and not enough residual heat to cook the mixture to thickening point.

Do I use less water and get crunchy noodles or what? Please help me Cozy Masters!

What I do is a combination of things - 1.) generally I use only 1.75 cups of water for a Liptons 2.) I use more Nido - typically 3 heaping tablespoons full 3.) I let it sit longer - more like 30 minutes 4.) if it is still watery after thirty minutes I'll toss in some instant mashed potatoes - the instant spuds will thicken up anything and the extra starch is all to the good.

Also note the cozy I use keeps the meal warm for a long time - old Army closed cell pad and duct tape. I use sandwich sized ziplock bags for whatever that may affect things.

PiperJon
03-04-2005, 15:32
What I do is a combination of things - 1.) generally I use only 1.75 cups of water for a Liptons 2.) I use more Nido - typically 3 heaping tablespoons full 3.) I let it sit longer - more like 30 minutes 4.) if it is still watery after thirty minutes I'll toss in some instant mashed potatoes - the instant spuds will thicken up anything and the extra starch is all to the good.

Also note the cozy I use keeps the meal warm for a long time - old Army closed cell pad and duct tape. I use sandwich sized ziplock bags for whatever that may affect things.

Definitley, let me second both the use of the Ziplocks and mash'd taters! I actually like to use the quart-sized ziplock *freezer* bags in my cozy; they are heavier, true, but will take a bit more abuse, multiple uses, extra hot water, etc. By the time they are puny from use, they can still be used to hold stuff for packing out, etc.

I cut my cozy from the end of my closed-cell pad, and used duct tape. I don't mess with velcro much, I made the top a bit taller and just tuck it in at the top, which holds the inner bag upright. I'll also wrap mine in my bag if it's cold, and if my feet are cold too... :p

You can make an interesting polenta-thing with corn meal, dehydrated veggies, some stock, sunflower seeds, almonds, and whatever else you can think to throw in. Eat it with a fork! I wonder if Boca Crumbles dehydrate well...hmm...

I'm going to try the quinoa, though, I like the sound of that.
Pj

TDale
03-04-2005, 16:33
Haven't I introduced y'all to the queen of freezer bag cooking yet? Shame on me!

http://www.freewebs.com/freezerbagcooking

Fiddleback
03-04-2005, 18:52
And don't forget that great cozy the Lady Sarbar uses...a WalMart outdoor faucet insulater. I've worked on others but, darn, I like this one. A great size for a quart freezer bag and works as a holder for the bag once the cookin' is done. Super efficient.:clap

FB

Nightwalker
03-04-2005, 19:44
Put all the stuff in before you start heating it up. That's the main trick. You may not have the cozy insulated enough as well, but try that first.