PDA

View Full Version : reflective push pins and the like

sloopjonboswell
04-04-2008, 18:23
i guess i first started seeing them in virginia when i was night hiking last year. sometimes there would just be two, or one. looked like somebody was playing a joke or something, trying to make someone think the reflectors were eyes? sometimes there would be different kinds of reflectors leading off like markers for another trail intersecting with the AT. i was always curious as to who knew what about them. somebody spent a good deal of time putting those things all over the trail here and there..... oh and i think theres a couple ghosts right before you get to penn marr park. anyway, i know they werent figments of my imagination. anybody?

sofaking
04-04-2008, 18:38
reflective tacks are used to mark trails , usually by hunters so they don't wander around in the dark all morning

Roland
04-04-2008, 18:46
I've seen them in NH, though they were more like thumb-tacks, than push-pins. The white, reflective heads were about 3/8" diameter.

I followed a winding trail of them, leading off the AT. They ended a few hundred yards off the Trail, in the middle of nowhere. There was no spring, campsite, viewpoint, survey marker, or anything of significance, at that spot.

I still have no idea why these reflective pins were there. I, too, am curious to hear if anyone knows.

Seeker
04-04-2008, 18:46
very useful for finding your way to/from your deerstand in the dark.

Roland
04-04-2008, 18:49
reflective tacks are used to mark trails , usually by hunters so they don't wander around in the dark all morning

I missed your post, before I started composing.

Your explanation is as good as any I could think of. Come to think of it, the area I visited was prime deer country.

mudhead
04-04-2008, 18:52
very useful for finding your way to/from your deerstand in the dark.

Ding! de Ding!

Or someplace you want to get to/from in the dark, quietly.

Roland
04-04-2008, 18:52
Ah ha!

What I saw, looked very much like these (http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0004836410471a.shtml).

Mystery solved. Thanks sofaking and Seeker.

Cuffs
04-04-2008, 19:56
I use them for several things... 1. as stated above, finding the shooting house in the dark. (these thumb tacks are sold in the sporting goods/hunting dept). 2. Geocaching. Huh? Caching? Yes, I have put out some night-time only caches in the woods. They are sooo much fun! I have seen some that give me the creeps tho, they put them up in the form of eyes! Really weird seeing that at night!

sloopjonboswell
04-04-2008, 20:01
i was always hoping for a bo.be field. thanks though, mystery revealed.

J5man
04-05-2008, 21:36
Hikerhead and I have seen some here in the Roanoke section of the AT while hiking at night. Our guess was they were used by hunters.