PDA

View Full Version : Slackpack NOC to Fontana Dam

xnav
04-04-2008, 19:12
I'm a section hiker and just finished the section between Dick's Creek Gap and the Natahala Outdoor Center (NOC) in four days. I usually hike between 12 and 15 miles per day but did a 20 and a few 16s on this hike in order to finish in four days. I was thinking of attempting the section from the NOC to Fontana Dam in one day. Its about 30 miles and the profile looks like a roller coaster. Has anyone done this and can they give me any advice?

rob123ufl
04-04-2008, 19:30
yea, its pretty rough. 28.8 in one day is no walk in the park. i met a guy at NOC, he is a guide by the name of Austin (i think...). He said he was thinking of helping people slack from NOC to Fontana for somewhere in the range of 30 dollars. You could get a hold of him probably by calling rentals (i think his name is austin, but if not he is short with curly blond hair, glasses, his aunt worked there previously and he has been guiding for about 4 years. if this doesnt help, private message me and ill help you get a hold of him). keep in mind, 30 would be for a car-full, not a single individual. so if you can find others to join up, it would defray the costs a bit. good luck.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-04-2008, 20:01
I've hiked it and it is pretty rough - you mostly climb for about 8 miles to Cheoah Bald, then descend rapidly for a couple of miles. It then 'roller-coasters' over the next eight miles and then descends pretty steeply to Fontana Dam. Even at my best (back when I could do 20 to 22 mile days) I couldn't have hiked that stretch in a day.

xnav
04-04-2008, 20:14
I'm talking about only carrying water, few energy bars, and minimal emergency/first aid supplies. Total of about 5 to 7 pounds.

Blissful
04-04-2008, 20:37
Boy, that is a tough section. I hate it, actually.... The notorious Stecoah. Ugh.

CrumbSnatcher
04-04-2008, 21:16
i hiked that section in a day once,so have alot of others. start early (even if you only hike 2 miles per hour)X15 hours.doable... but believe everyone that posted here! it is a tough section. carry a rain jacket or some warm close,lot of the hikers come in real late on this one(to the hilton)

astrogirl
04-04-2008, 21:16
I'm a section hiker and just finished the section between Dick's Creek Gap and the Natahala Outdoor Center (NOC) in four days. I usually hike between 12 and 15 miles per day but did a 20 and a few 16s on this hike in order to finish in four days. I was thinking of attempting the section from the NOC to Fontana Dam in one day. Its about 30 miles and the profile looks like a roller coaster. Has anyone done this and can they give me any advice?

Do it SOBO. Decending off Cheoah is a much easier way to end your day than *climbing* up to Cheoah is to start it.

The section around Sweetwater Gap/Stecoah Gap is no picnic, but with day hiking stuff, it would certainly be easier.

Lone Wolf
04-04-2008, 22:09

i've done it with a full pack. it ain't no biggie. have fun.

CrumbSnatcher
04-04-2008, 22:32
i've done it with a full pack. it ain't no biggie. have fun.
i too would just carry your whole pack,if you end up a little short you'll have everything you need. wolfs right it ain't s***