PDA

View Full Version : 3 Days in PA??

AGatto37
04-04-2008, 19:29
Any suggestions on a good 3 day hike in PA? Doesn't have to be on the AT. We're looking to camp as we go and initial research looks like this could be a limiting factor. My crew's hiking experience is pretty limited but we're up for a challenge and our ignorance is bolstered by blind enthusiasm.

X-LinkedHiker
04-04-2008, 19:42
I responded to your other thread.

gumball
04-05-2008, 05:51
Which part of PA--Oil Creek State Park is very nice. Its in NW PA, and has two sets of shelters on its 36 mile trail. Very nice and easy 3 day hike.

Toolshed
04-05-2008, 09:01
.... our ignorance is bolstered by blind enthusiasm.
Hey Welcome to WB. You'll find a lot of people like that on this board, including me!!!! :D
Seriously, are you looking for a circuit (no car shuttle needed loop hike with 1 trailhead) or something linear, where you have 2 cars at each trailhead? This option opens up a weealth of trails.
There are many many great 3-day trails out there, both on and off the AT. You could give the Pinchot Trail up in the Poc's a twirl it is around 25 miles or so of relatively easy hiking with a summit and plenty of water, and enough service roads around so you can drag your butts out if you do get in over your head. It can easily be done in 2 days, but what the heck - sleep in.
How far you want to drive is another factor. Great trails in NorthCentral PA. Black Forest and Susquehannock are a bit longer, 44 and 72 miles respectively, but with many old loggin roads, tote roads and ROWs crossing, can easily be made into smaller trips. The West Rim (Ansonia) and Old Loggers Path are other incredible 3 day trails.
PM me if you want some specific anecdotal info.

Deerleg
07-29-2008, 22:58
Here is one more possibility just off I 80 north of Clreafield PA. I took my first real long distance hike on this 75 mile loop...it also has connectors to make shorter loops and I went back with my son when he was about 12 and did one of the shorter loops in 3 days. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/hiking/quehanna.aspx

X-LinkedHiker
07-30-2008, 03:49
I highly suggest Rickett's Glen State Park. the park is huge with more than enough to do for 3 days. Over 100 Waterfalls, a couple lakes, many great sites and a lot of acreage to cover.

Hoop Time
08-05-2008, 18:06
You might consider a section of the Mid State trail that is ideal for beginner/inexperienced hikers. You could start at Weikert/Cherry Run (there is a parking area just outside of Weikert0, hike to Poe Paddy State Park, which is a rustic (privies and water spigots but no electricity, etc.) camping area, slacpack from there the second day ... maybe up the mountain to Penns View, an awesome vista, camp back at Poe Paddy the second night and hike out the third day.

The trail from Weikert to Poe Paddy is a rail trail, very easy hiking. Slight upgrade, but barely noticeable on foot. The trail passes through an old rail tunnel and crosses a tressel converted to a footbridge near Poe Paddy.

There are a lot of sites in Poe Paddy with tent pads, and two small Adirondack shelters.

I'm thinking this would give you easy terrain with your packs, and a day to hike a more challenging terrain with a lighter load. Might be a good introduction type trip.

wannabeoutdoors
08-09-2008, 22:01
how far is it from weikert to poe paddy. sounds like something i might try.

banksville
01-08-2009, 18:32
One of my favorite trails is the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail. Its a 70 mile trail runing the ridgeline from Johnstown to Ohiophyle. The are very nice aderondak shelters every 10 miles or so with water, toilets and usually firewood. Great for entry level hikers.

LT MAC
02-24-2009, 07:51
I did this trail for the first time when i was 14. This is the trail that got me hooked.

It is a great way to build confidence in a new hiker, and it is full of beautiful vistas.

The fact that water and shelter are found every 10 or so miles, it makes packing easier (no tents)

Also, if you hike durring blueberry season, bring pancake mix!!

Spirit Walker
02-24-2009, 13:25
How far are you planning to hike each day? Loggers Path is a good 3 day hike of about 8 miles a day. Chuck Keiper is good if you want to do longer days (there are two loops of 24 and 30 or so miles or a single loop of about 45 miles). You can do several short loops in the Black Forest trail system or the main loop is about 50 miles. Same with the Susquehannock or Quehanna Trails. All of these are in north-central PA. Black Forest has the best views. If you have two cars the Bucktail Path is a challenging three day hike and the West Rim Trail has good views and is also good for three days.

Leon Smith
02-27-2009, 21:33
The Mid State Trail in Northern Pennsylvania is a great experience. If you want to see game in abundance try the Quehanna and Susquehannok Trails. On a three day hike (hiking alone) I had the pleasure to see Bear, wildcat, eagles, elk, deer, gobblers, etc. Along the way I kept a diary. It worked into an article - published in Mountain Home Magazine in Feb. 08

Tinker
02-27-2009, 23:31
Grand Canyon of the East?
Check this one out. I haven't hiked it, only heard that the scenery is very nice.
http://www.fallinpa.com/fallinpa/drivingToursNorth.jsp?section=canyon

Tinker
02-27-2009, 23:34
From a link found on the same site, possibly more helpful:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/recreation/backpack.aspx

I hiked with relatives through a park with shelters just like this, but it was so long ago I don't recall the location. I did a few miles of the Laurel Highlands trail with my father-in-law in the 1990s, and it was very nice and peaceful.

ki0eh
03-05-2009, 21:27
I hiked with relatives through a park with shelters just like this, but it was so long ago I don't recall the location.

Possibly Oil Creek State Park in northwestern PA?

The "Grand Canyon" (Pine Creek Gorge) has 2 linear and 1 loop backpack trail systems - West Rim and a portion of Mid State, and Black Forest Trails respectively. Each of the 3 has a different approach to the area but none have shelters.