PDA

View Full Version : Whisperlite International

JWren
04-04-2008, 20:47
I just bought a Whisperlite International for my first backpacking stove and i just wanted to see if i should have bought just the basic whisperlite, and is the only difference is that the international can take more types of gas

Panzer1
04-04-2008, 21:34
You can't go wrong with the whisperlite international. Its a classic backpacking stove. For the addition of 1 ounce in weight you have the option of using multiple fuels.

Panzer

CrumbSnatcher
04-04-2008, 21:45
You can't go wrong with the whisperlite international. Its a classic backpacking stove.

Panzer
panzer is right this stove is bomb proof,and will last for along time.i have a bakepacker that makes great pizza and baked goods and fits this stove well. for long/thru hikes i carry a pocket rocket now,but on my first thru i carried the same stove you bought. never hurts to own more than one stove.

fiddlehead
04-04-2008, 21:53
Well, i can't agree. I tried one and it was a bit of a pain compared to other stoves.
First of all, it's heavy.
2nd/ it's very loud
3rd/ it requires cleaning which means taking it apart and cleaning many small pieces that can be easily lost especially if you are out in a wind/snow/rain storm while attempting it.
4th/ yes it burn the diesel fuel we used in it in Nepal but we also had to filter the fuel first before putting it in as well as cleaning the stove every few days.

Did i mention expensive? bulky?
All that being said, propane/butane stoves are much simpler/quieter/lighter/cheaper
Alcohol stoves and propane seem to be the way of the future and the whisperlite the way of the past. IMO

Panzer1
04-04-2008, 22:26
All that being said, propane/butane stoves are much simpler/quieter/lighter/cheaper

As far as lighter is concerned: if your comparing it to other MSR stoves:
The MSR reactor canister stove weights 21.6 ounces compared to the MSR whisperlite international multi fuel which weights 15.5 ounces.

Panzer

CrumbSnatcher
04-04-2008, 22:26
I just bought a Whisperlite International for my first backpacking stove and i just wanted to see if i should have bought just the basic whisperlite, and is the only difference is that the international can take more types of gas
as fiddlehead said, it is heavy,and bulky stove...but i've only had to clean the stove before long trips. once a year maybe. WRENMAN,what kind of trips will you be carrying your stove on. (thruhike,section,weekend?) anyway if you decide to carry this stove some people leave the pump attached,if you do make sure you release the pressure in the fuel bottle. in 1999 a guy was hiking along,and the bottom of his fuel bottle blew off. its better to take the pump off and put the cap back on the fuel bottle,and pump the pump a couple times to clear the fuel out of the pump. fiddle head makes some good points,depends on your uses.

Sly
04-04-2008, 22:28
I used a Whisperlite Internationale on both the AT and PCT and never had a problem. Even using an 11 oz bottle I never ran out of fuel. It would last a week or more morning and evening. I did have to use regular unleaded on a couple occasions which burnt sooty but real cheap.

Two tips, after pumping just crack the valve until you hear a hiss and shut it off before priming, allow it to almost burn out before opening the valve again; and tap the stove for the shaker to clean the jet it if it not burning right.

Panzer1
04-04-2008, 22:39
I agree with Sly that you just crack the pump loose a bit to let the pressure out, you don't remove the pump completely.

Panzer

Panzer1
04-04-2008, 22:48
We could talk about the advantages and disadvantages of stoves all night long. I think in the end you hike with whatever stove you want to. I myself have 5 different stoves. I like them all.

Panzer

PJ 2005
04-04-2008, 23:15
Actual quote:

"Whisperlite international? I was going to bring one of those... til I pulled my head out of my ass."

For the record, I own one :)

fiddlehead
04-05-2008, 01:08
Here's a link to my blog article about my backpacking stove collection in my garage.

Although i bought one once, a whisperlight is not in the collection (i sold it)

http://fiddlehead.wordpress.com/2008/02/05/my-backpacking-stove-collection/

Peaks
04-05-2008, 07:07
Well, i can't agree. I tried one and it was a bit of a pain compared to other stoves.
First of all, it's heavy.
2nd/ it's very loud
3rd/ it requires cleaning which means taking it apart and cleaning many small pieces that can be easily lost especially if you are out in a wind/snow/rain storm while attempting it.
4th/ yes it burn the diesel fuel we used in it in Nepal but we also had to filter the fuel first before putting it in as well as cleaning the stove every few days.

Did i mention expensive? bulky?
Alcohol stoves and propane seem to be the way of the future and the whisperlite the way of the past. IMO

But, when the whisperlites came out, it was a big improvement over the Svea's in all the aspects you mentioned.

But, getting back to the orginal question, I'd say that the "international" version is unnecessary for most of us because how many of us are going to remote parts of the world where unleaded gas is not available.

take-a-knee
04-05-2008, 08:15
But, when the whisperlites came out, it was a big improvement over the Svea's in all the aspects you mentioned.

But, getting back to the orginal question, I'd say that the "international" version is unnecessary for most of us because how many of us are going to remote parts of the world where unleaded gas is not available.

I don't see how leaky O-rings are an improvement over a SVEA 123, it is six or so ounces lighter and works better in the wind with the supplied windscreen but it needs more maintenence. Those parts kits they sell, buy one, you'll need it. As for cannister stoves, I think the MSR Wind Pro has them all beat.

JWren
04-05-2008, 08:22
Thanks, I first off really do not care about the noise, that is also a psycological boost that it is working and cooking, and i am only going for 3-4 night hikes, i do agree with peaks that i probably will not use it but for a 16 year old who is just starting out i went with old reliable

Two Speed
04-05-2008, 08:25
While I'd recommend an alkie stove I think you've got the right attitude, wrenman. Take the gear you've got, go hiking and have fun.

Lyle
04-05-2008, 08:34
I don't see how leaky O-rings are an improvement over a SVEA 123, it is six or so ounces lighter and works better in the wind with the supplied windscreen but it needs more maintenence. Those parts kits they sell, buy one, you'll need it. As for cannister stoves, I think the MSR Wind Pro has them all beat.

I agree about SVEA vs Wisperlite. Have had both, prefer the SVEA. My nephew and his wife bought a Wisperlite, but later asked for a SVEA for Christmas a few years back, because he was tired of the constant fiddling required. He had used my SVEA when he was younger and knew that it just simply worked, no fiddle involved other than priming, which is simple and a non-issue once you know how.

Wrenman, nothing wrong with your purchase, it may not be the "best" in some of our opinions, but perfectly fine for your use. It will serve you well, and last a long time, or at least until you develop your own opinion. You might as well get used to changing your opinion about gear now, it is never-ending. :-) Use it and ENJOY!

woodsy
04-05-2008, 08:36
Thanks, I first off really do not care about the noise, that is also a psycological boost that it is working and cooking, and i am only going for 3-4 night hikes, i do agree with peaks that i probably will not use it but for a 16 year old who is just starting out i went with old reliable
Its a good stove, mine is 10 years old and have never had a problem with it, works great in cold temperatures too, where many other stoves fail the test.

Lyle
04-05-2008, 08:49

You are right about the noise. For some reason that I have never analyzed, and it has never just dawned on me why, the moment of shutting down my old SVEA, with it's Roarer Burner, and the contrasting silence, is still a very powerful and pleasant memory of my earlier days of backpacking. I have now changed to alcohol except in winter, and I do miss that experience. It did give you a warm, comfortable feeling. Sounds kinda stupid, but it is a fond memory.

Toolshed
04-05-2008, 08:51
I graduated many years ago from an 8R to a Whisperlite and then years later to an International when they came out. I've noticed that some people simply cannot stand a W-lite and prefer simplicity, quietness and ease of use.
Give me a -20 morning in 10'feet of snow and listening to the reassuring roar of my whisperlite over the deafening silence of an alcy stove.

I now use either a PR or an alcy for warm weather trips, as the Whisperlite is heavy and bulky, but I love the stove and it was my buddy for many years. I still use it in cold weather as well as for the boyscouts when we need a blowtorch.

CrumbSnatcher
04-05-2008, 09:42
I agree with Sly that you just crack the pump loose a bit to let the pressure out, you don't remove the pump completely.

Panzersly was reffer to pre-cooking prepping of the stove?. i was talking about afterwards when packing the stove(but i used a external backpack,with the stove in a side pocket.i wacked it up against trees to often.some people broke the pumps handle off while hiking)IMO the pump was safer not hooked to the bottle while hiking.

CrumbSnatcher
04-05-2008, 09:46
Actual quote:

"Whisperlite international? I was going to bring one of those... til I pulled my head out of my ass."

For the record, I own one :)good post,lmao LIKE I SAID. I KEEP MINE FOR MY BAKEPAKER(WHICH RELIES ON A STOVE WITHOUT A INTERNAL FUEL BOTTLE)but there are better choices for thruhiking now.

Sly
04-05-2008, 10:16
sly was reffer to pre-cooking prepping of the stove?. i was talking about afterwards when packing the stove(but i used a external backpack,with the stove in a side pocket.i wacked it up against trees to often.some people broke the pumps handle off while hiking)IMO the pump was safer not hooked to the bottle while hiking.

Yeah, I was speaking of priming but I always kept the pump in the bottle without having any problems. Also, In 5 years of use I only used one o-ring.

I've since sold the Whisperlite (got $60 for it on Ebay!) , and just use an alcohol stove, but IMO it was a good stove.

DavidNH
04-05-2008, 10:31
I have never used the MSR Simmerlite, but from reading the website it sounds like you get the advantages of the whisperlite for almost 1/2 pound less weight. Any thoughts on this?

Weight aside, I love the whisperlite. I have used it on almost all my backpacking trips. It almost never fails, the noise I consider to be power heating my water.. and a hungry hiker doesn't like to wait for his food!

David

JWren
04-05-2008, 13:53
Except for the added 1oz and More Fuel Varities is there any difference between the regular and internationale

Sly
04-05-2008, 14:05
Except for the added 1oz and More Fuel Varities is there any difference between the regular and internationale

With the later you can use kerosene, autogas, and/or jet fuel otherwise they're the same..

woodsy
04-05-2008, 14:05
This review (http://www.twohikers.org/Gear/SimmerliteReview.htm) sums up some of the differences between the models

Panzer1
04-05-2008, 16:12
Yea, your right about what Sly was saying. My bad.

However, I also hiked with an external frame for 20 years and carried my fuel bottle in a side pocket but never had any problems with the bottle pump hitting anything. I just think it would be a hassle to have to remove a dripping wet pump from the bottle everytime you use it while on the trail.

But I will say that I do remove the pump for home storage.

Panzer

saimyoji
04-05-2008, 16:32
under what circumstances would you use jet fuel?

Toolshed
04-05-2008, 16:45
I learned on the Flight line 25 years ago that JP4 was something like Kerosene and AvGas mixed together and JP5 was closer to a deisel fuel/Kerosene/HomeHeating Oil #2 base.
Either way, I think it is just a cool way of saying it will burn pretty much anything.

Panzer1
04-05-2008, 17:14
I don't think the international will burn alcohol. Too bad.

Panzer

Thrasher
04-05-2008, 17:32
As far as lighter is concerned: if your comparing it to other MSR stoves:
The MSR reactor canister stove weights 21.6 ounces compared to the MSR whisperlite international multi fuel which weights 15.5 ounces.

Panzer

I think it's good to point out that the MSR reactor stove also includes a 1.7 L pot.

CrumbSnatcher
04-05-2008, 17:40
Yea, your right about what Sly was saying. My bad.

However, I also hiked with an external frame for 20 years and carried my fuel bottle in a side pocket but never had any problems with the bottle pump hitting anything. I just think it would be a hassle to have to remove a dripping wet pump from the bottle everytime you use it while on the trail.

But I will say that I do remove the pump for home storage.

Panzerpanzer do you release the pressure in the bottle after the meal?
before you pack it back up.

Panzer1
04-05-2008, 20:29
panzer do you release the pressure in the bottle after the meal?
before you pack it back up.

Yes, that I do. I don't hike with pressure in the bottle.

Panzer

Panzer1
04-05-2008, 20:32
There are an awful lot of good stoves out there. It doesn't make a lot of difference which one you pick as long as it works and you're happy with it and of course you take it on the trail.

The main thing is not what stove you have but where you take your stove.

Panzer

JWren
04-05-2008, 21:16
I'm just scared that i wasted $10 of my mom's money because i told her it would be only $70 and then i bought the Internationale and now i realize that i will probably not use that feature until about 10-12 years, mainly when i have some money of my own, senior year then college under and grad and then some time to settle in, i may not use the multi fuel feature ever

CrumbSnatcher
04-05-2008, 21:45
any good outfitter will take it back,if you used it clean up nice. think about buying a msr pocket rocket 35.00 bucks

Panzer1
04-05-2008, 22:13
I'm just scared that i wasted $10 of my mom's money because i told her it would be only $70 and then i bought the Internationale and now i realize that i will probably not use that feature until about 10-12 years, mainly when i have some money of my own, senior year then college under and grad and then some time to settle in, i may not use the multi fuel feature ever

W,
Hiking gear is expensive and $10 isn't a whole lot of money when you look at the total cost of hiking. I would not worry about $10. And who knows,10 to 12 years from now the multi-fuel option may save your life.

Panzer

saimyoji
04-05-2008, 22:20
A tried and true stove, one that will not let you down. Its easy to second guess yourself about gear purchases.

IMO 10-12 yrs from now there will be better lighter options.

fiddlehead
04-05-2008, 23:26
A tried and true stove, one that will not let you down. Its easy to second guess yourself about gear purchases.

Unless it gets clogged, or you lose a small part when cleaning, or the fuel bottle leaks into your food (seen it happen)

I know these stoves were the norm back in the 80's and early 90's. I didn't like them then, and i don't know having experienced one.

For the poster who wondered where you might encounter a need for jet fuel.
I believe jet fuel is very similar to diesel fuel. You never know when you are going to be traveling to some strange place and perhaps an airport is the only fuel source around. Probably would have other fuels than jet fuel but you never know.

When we took ours, we ended up using a HUGE (5lbs?) version of a Svea that the Sherpas rented. They were used to it and it burned the dirty kerosene that was available. They still had to filter the fuel through coffee filters (paper). The Sherpas were much more used to their stoves although the whisper lite probably would've been ok. (i hate that kerosene smell and also bought a GAZ stove there as there were many fuel canisters left over from expeditions)

take-a-knee
04-05-2008, 23:53
Unless it gets clogged, or you lose a small part when cleaning, or the fuel bottle leaks into your food (seen it happen)

I know these stoves were the norm back in the 80's and early 90's. I didn't like them then, and i don't know having experienced one.

For the poster who wondered where you might encounter a need for jet fuel.
I believe jet fuel is very similar to diesel fuel. You never know when you are going to be traveling to some strange place and perhaps an airport is the only fuel source around. Probably would have other fuels than jet fuel but you never know.

When we took ours, we ended up using a HUGE (5lbs?) version of a Svea that the Sherpas rented. They were used to it and it burned the dirty kerosene that was available. They still had to filter the fuel through coffee filters (paper). The Sherpas were much more used to their stoves although the whisper lite probably would've been ok. (i hate that kerosene smell and also bought a GAZ stove there as there were many fuel canisters left over from expeditions)

The military calls diesel JP4 and aviation fuel JP5, we used to use JP5 in our diesel generators in Haiti and they didn't want to shut off, presumably because it contained more BTU's/#, so I'm assuming aviation fuel is simply more highly refined diesel.

I believe climbers like the MSR/GK and Int, Whisperlites because kerosene/diesel contains more BTU's/#. That means fewer pounds to tote up the mountain.

I'm not saying the Whisperlite is a bad stove, it just needs periodic maintenance just like MSR reccomends. The SVEA's big draw for me is it's simmer, I'm not aware of any other stove as light that will simmer like a SVEA. It was Colin Fletchers' choice so that isn't bad company to keep.

JWren
04-05-2008, 23:59
Even though it is a Whisperlite i still feel like that i do not have a whisperlite, but then again i still have not used it, i did not know the bottles did not have fuel, i thought they were like the canisters

fiddlehead
04-06-2008, 00:09
The military calls diesel JP4 and aviation fuel JP5, we used to use JP5 in our diesel generators in Haiti and they didn't want to shut off, presumably because it contained more BTU's/#, so I'm assuming aviation fuel is simply more highly refined diesel.

I believe climbers like the MSR/GK and Int, Whisperlites because kerosene/diesel contains more BTU's/#. That means fewer pounds to tote up the mountain.

I'm not saying the Whisperlite is a bad stove, it just needs periodic maintenance just like MSR reccomends. The SVEA's big draw for me is it's simmer, I'm not aware of any other stove as light that will simmer like a SVEA. It was Colin Fletchers' choice so that isn't bad company to keep.

I too liked the SVEA. Until i tried burning unleaded in it instead of Coleman and after a few weeks of doing that, it blew up.
I think Colin Fletcher was the great. But was (or is he) he around when the Pocket Rocket (or similar) or alcohol stoves started being the norm? (I also could picture him as a Zip stove man)

He liked heavy boots too.

Most mountaineers i saw in Nepal were using Butane/Propane GAZ stoves. Of course, i haven't been there since 2004.

Bob S
04-06-2008, 01:19
I too liked the SVEA. Until i tried burning unleaded in it instead of Coleman and after a few weeks of doing that, it blew up.
I think Colin Fletcher was the great. But was (or is he) he around when the Pocket Rocket (or similar) or alcohol stoves started being the norm? (I also could picture him as a Zip stove man)

He liked heavy boots too.

Most mountaineers i saw in Nepal were using Butane/Propane GAZ stoves. Of course, i haven't been there since 2004.

I have a Svea, had it for coming up on 30-years. Never have I burned anything but gasoline in it. Never a flare up, never a clogged jet, never have I had the slightest problem with it. I use it a lot, 3-seasons worth of camping and also I light it up in the winter just to get my fix and have a cup of hot chocolate while working in the garage. It gets a lot of use. I do 2-things to my stove. I put gasoline in it and I cook with it. I don’t think you can buy a more reliable liquid fuel stove.

I have trouble understanding why it would “blow up” from using gasoline.

I had a Whisperlite and it clogged numerous times and required a field teardown and cleaning. A repair kit is a good idea to have with you.

I sold it for $10.00 at a flee market and thought to myself that the guy buying it was getting screwed.

I learned my lesson; MSR will never get any of my money again.

fiddlehead
04-06-2008, 02:32
I have a Svea, had it for coming up on 30-years. Never have I burned anything but gasoline in it. Never a flare up, never a clogged jet, never have I had the slightest problem with it. I use it a lot, 3-seasons worth of camping and also I light it up in the winter just to get my fix and have a cup of hot chocolate while working in the garage. It gets a lot of use. I do 2-things to my stove. I put gasoline in it and I cook with it. I don’t think you can buy a more reliable liquid fuel stove.

I have trouble understanding why it would “blow up” from using gasoline.

Not sure what i was doing wrong. I know it was burning with more smoke when i'd use the unleaded vs coleman. I think perhaps it got slightly clogged and i didn't clean it and then this huge flame started spurting out the top and i kicked it away from me and let it burn itself out. Took a while and yeah, that's not really blowing up but it was then ruptured (side seam split)
I did buy another one a few years later and used it once or twice but by then it was just too heavy to compete with my GAZ which later turned into my Pocket rocket.

Good to hear you had such good luck with yours. Perhaps i'll break my new one out again one of these days and use it.