PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Packing

sleeman13
04-05-2008, 11:00
I am having a lot of trouble fitting my sleeping bag into my backpack. My bag is a Katahdin 20* bag, while my pack is an Aether 60 by Osprey. My question is should I upgrade to the Aether 70 or should I get a smaller, less bulky bag that doesn't take up 70-80% of my packs room. And what are some sleeping bags I should check out that aren't too bulky?

SGT Rock
04-05-2008, 11:05
Have you thought about going with a larger sack and just packing it loose - push it in then let the rest of your stuff pack it down once it is already in the pack.

Blissful
04-05-2008, 11:35
Did you try a compression sack?

Paul Bunyan could get his Cats Meow fairly small in one. A down bag will pack the smallest. But they are making even synthetic nowadays that are packing smaller.

fiddlehead
04-05-2008, 11:42
Have you thought about going with a larger sack and just packing it loose - push it in then let the rest of your stuff pack it down once it is already in the pack.

I was about to say get a smaller stuff sack. I have a 3300 cube pack and my sleeping bag (Hummingbird) takes up about 15-20% of the pack. I pack it tight in a small stuff sack. I don't think you could pack it much smaller by putting stuff on top of it.

JAK
04-05-2008, 11:49
That's a fairly big pack. That's also a fairly big bag but does it really take up that much space? I would do as Rock says and drop it in first, but alone or inside a garbage bag, then squish it down with your food.

jaiden
04-05-2008, 13:35
I'm having trouble finding info on that bag. What's the stuff size? And while you're at it, what's the weight?

88BlueGT
04-05-2008, 14:08
Granite Gear compression sack....... Not sure what size you need but I easily fit my Marmot Helium (15 degree) down bag in a small and than compress it down more than 50%. I can get my marmot bag to the length of a remote and thickness of a little wider than a nalgene bottle. I've tightened my granite gear comp sack so hard I thought the seams were going t split, but it holds up perfect every time. Highly recommend it.

I have the air compressor.
http://granitegear.com/products/packing_systems/air_line/air_compressor/index.html

sleeman13
04-05-2008, 17:28
the link to my bag: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=katahdin-climashield-sleeping-bag&categoryId=48801&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=500148&cat4=1097&shop_method=pp&feat=500148-tn

the bags weight is 3lbs 2oz. by i'm not sure of the stuff size. overall, it's quite a bulky bag.

my pack's size is 3800 cu. in. and weights 4 lbs 2 oz.

also, my bag hasn't been used, so i would really appreciate suggestions on smaller, les bulkier 20* sythetic bags. thanks.

SGT Rock
04-05-2008, 17:29
The problem is most synthetics that claim to be a 20F bag without a lot of bulk will probably dissapoint you.

mudhead
04-05-2008, 17:34
That bag has alot more loft than a Cat's Meow. Can't vouch for the 20*F.

Air compressor should smash it down.

sleeman13
04-05-2008, 17:36
i'm considerning return for the cat's meow. does anbody have any experience w/ this bad good or bad?

Hooch
04-05-2008, 17:42
The problem is most synthetics that claim to be a 20F bag without a lot of bulk will probably dissapoint you.Agreed. My bag is a Slumberjack Ultimate. It's rated to 20*, but I get cold with it at 30 or so. My liner is a good thing. Can't wait to be able to afford an underquilt and a top quilt for my hammock. :-?

bluelight
04-05-2008, 19:26
I have an Aether 60 and use a WM Badger(long) sleeping bag. I had the same problem but now I stuff the bag in its stuff sack then put that inside a Sea To Summit dry bag. I sit on the bag and most of the air goes out and it compresses fairly small. I put the bag sideways in the bottom of the pack.

Philippe
04-05-2008, 20:07
I am having a lot of trouble fitting my sleeping bag into my backpack. My bag is a Katahdin 20* bag, while my pack is an Aether 60 by Osprey. My question is should I upgrade to the Aether 70 or should I get a smaller, less bulky bag that doesn't take up 70-80% of my packs room. And what are some sleeping bags I should check out that aren't too bulky?

When are you going to be hiking? Do you need to be in a 20 deg. bag? If you are an early season hiker maybe a bigger pack, but if you hike in warmer weather, maybe a lighter, less bulkie bag. Hope you have a great hike either way.

wakapak
04-05-2008, 20:26
i'm considerning return for the cat's meow. does anbody have any experience w/ this bad good or bad?

i also have an aether 60 (its' about 6 years old now, and a smaller one since i'm smaller in size) and had a cats meow on my last thru. I used a compression sack for it and then put it in the bottom sideways...seems to work well for me! this year, i switched to a down bag from REI that packs a lot smaller and is lighter. good luck with it all!!