PDA

View Full Version : Camping Rules-Springer-Hot Springs

Toolumpy
04-05-2008, 11:11
Loking for camping regulations on the trail from Springer to Hot Springs. I know GSNP rules.

Lone Wolf
04-05-2008, 11:12
Loking for camping regulations on the trail from Springer to Hot Springs. I know GSNP rules.

you can pretty much camp where you want in national forest

Blissful
04-05-2008, 11:14
There are none that I know of. Lots of established campsites though. I'd look for those and not make a new one.

max patch
04-05-2008, 11:18
no fires blood mountain area

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-05-2008, 11:18
Basically, you need to be at least 100 yards from a water source and 200 yards from a paved road. Some areas will have signs indicating camping is not allowed in ecologically sensitive areas.

Lone Wolf
04-05-2008, 11:20
Basically, you need to be at least 100 yards from a water source and 200 yards from a paved road.

not between georgia and hot springs

Bulldawg
04-05-2008, 11:26

Yeah, I saw a bunch of Boy Scouts one morning camped literally in the ditches at Wolfpen Gap on the CBT.

Lone Wolf
04-05-2008, 11:27
Cbt?.....

Bulldawg
04-05-2008, 11:29
Coosa Backcountry Trail.

http://georgiatrails.com/trails/coosa.html

emerald
04-05-2008, 13:36
Click on the links below for general information pertaining to Georgia. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of specific restrictions on where you can camp. I would think it prudent then to refer to LNT guidelines.

Georgia Appalachian Trail Club (GATC) (http://www.georgia-atclub.org)

Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests (http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/)

Chattahoochee-Oconee NFs - LNT Principles (http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/rec/wilderness/lnt.htm)

See also ATC's Hike the Trail (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.715465/k.9731/Hike_The_Trail.htm) for general information and ALDHA's Thru-Hiker's Companion (http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm) for more details.

Toolumpy
04-05-2008, 15:34
thanx for all the helpfull info. Happy Hiking

Speer Carrier
04-05-2008, 16:16

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, there is a sign at Three Forks in Georgia that mentions no camping.

emerald
04-05-2008, 16:38
GATC might consider verifying exceptions listed here and adding them to their website so that hikers will know in advance of their hikes what restrictions can be expected.

emerald
04-05-2008, 16:56
Basically, you need to be at least 100 yards from a water source and 200 yards from a paved road. Some areas will have signs indicating camping is not allowed in ecologically sensitive areas.

Can you provide a citation to the applicable federal code, USFS reg or a digital image of a regulatory sign posted on the AT?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-05-2008, 17:19
Can you provide a citation to the applicable federal code, USFS reg or a digital image of a regulatory sign posted on the AT?I'm glad you asked me to look this up because I got the distances wrong:

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 36, Volume 3]
[Revised as of July 1, 2007]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 36CFR1002.10]

[Page 211]

TITLE 36--PARKS, FORESTS, AND PUBLIC PROPERTY

CHAPTER X--PRESIDIO TRUST

PART 1002_RESOURCE PROTECTION, PUBLIC USE AND RECREATION--Table of Contents

Sec. 1002.10 Camping and food storage.

(a) The Board may require permits, designate sites or areas, and
establish conditions for camping.
(b) The following are prohibited:
(1) Digging or leveling the ground at a campsite.
(2) Leaving camping equipment, site alterations, or refuse after
departing from the campsite.
(3) Camping within 25 feet of a water hydrant or main road, or
within 100 feet of a flowing stream, river or body of water, except as
designated.
(4) Creating or sustaining unreasonable noise between the hours of
10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., considering the nature and purpose of the
actor's conduct, impact on visitors or tenants, location, and other
factors which would govern the conduct of a reasonably prudent person
under the circumstances.
(5) The installation of permanent camping facilities.
(6) Displaying wildlife carcasses or other remains or parts thereof.
(7) Connecting to a utility system, except as designated.
(8) Failing to obtain a permit, where required.
(9) Violating conditions which may be established by the Board.
(10) Camping outside of designated sites or areas.
(c) Violation of the terms and conditions of a permit issued in
accordance with this section is prohibited and may result in the
suspension or revocation of the permit.
(d) Food storage. The Board may designate all or a portion of the
area administered by the Presidio Trust where food, lawfully taken fish
or wildlife, garbage, and equipment used to cook or store food must be
kept sealed in a vehicle, or in a camping unit that is constructed of
solid, non-pliable material, or suspended at least 10 feet above the
ground and 4 feet horizontally from a post, tree trunk, or other object,
or shall be stored as otherwise designated. Violation of this
restriction is prohibited. This restriction does not apply to food that
is being transported, consumed, or prepared for consumption.

10-K
04-05-2008, 17:20
Can you provide a citation to the applicable federal code, USFS reg or a digital image of a regulatory sign posted on the AT?

How about a polygraph?

emerald
04-05-2008, 17:44
How about a polygraph?

The point of my post was to determine the correct information, to perhaps assist GATC in improving its website and to make this information more accessible to everyone.

I have better things to do with my time than engage in silly banter! Have a nice day.:)

Panzer1
04-05-2008, 17:55
Wow, FD knows what she's talking about.:banana

Panzer

Tennessee Viking
04-05-2008, 18:15
If a forest ranger catches you building an unestablished fire ring, do you get lectured?

10-K
04-05-2008, 18:23
The point of my post was to determine the correct information, to perhaps assist GATC in improving their website and to make this information more accessible to everyone.

No problem.

Lone Wolf
04-05-2008, 18:24
If a forest ranger catches you building an unestablished fire ring, do you get lectured?

forest rangers don't hike. i've never seen one on the trail. only at road crossings

emerald
04-05-2008, 18:41
How much effort USFS personnel expend on enforcement shouldn't bear on how AT enthusiasts conduct themselves. We should do the right thing regardless of whether we're being watched or not out of respect for others who follow us.

Lone Wolf
04-05-2008, 18:57
How much effort USFS personnel expend on enforcement shouldn't bear on how AT enthusiasts conduct themselves. They should do the right thing regardless of whether they're being watched or not out of respect for others who follow them.

there's nothing wrong with building a fire ring then tearing it down the next day. i do the right thing. get off your high horse

Dances with Mice
04-05-2008, 19:08
FD - Aren't those regulations only for the Presidio Trust (http://www.presidio.gov/trust/)?

Same, or similar, regs may apply to National Forests in GA but I don't believe the specific regulations you quoted apply to GA.

Alligator
04-05-2008, 19:11
FD, those regs apply if you are in San Francisco, on the Presidio of San Francisco (http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/ua0212/pdf/ua021241.pdf).

Alligator
04-05-2008, 19:11
Ooops, DWM beat me to it.

emerald
04-05-2008, 19:19
there's nothing wrong with building a fire ring then tearing it down the next day. i do the right thing.

Campfires can cause lasting impacts to the back country. Use a lightweight stove for cooking and enjoy a candle lantern for light.
Where fires are permitted, use established fire rings, fire pans, or mound fires.
Keep fires small. Only use sticks from the ground that can be broken by hand.
Burn all wood and coals to ash, put out campfires completely, then scatter cool ashes.What appears above is from Chattahoochee-Oconee NFs LNT page linked from Post #10 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=586780&postcount=10). See also LNT items #1 and #7.

Lone Wolf
04-05-2008, 19:24
Campfires can cause lasting impacts to the back country. Use a lightweight stove for cooking and enjoy a candle lantern for light.
Where fires are permitted, use established fire rings, fire pans, or mound fires.
Keep fires small. Only use sticks from the ground that can be broken by hand.
Burn all wood and coals to ash, put out campfires completely, then scatter cool ashes.What appears above is from Chattahoochee-Oconee NFs LNT page linked from my 1st post to this thread. See also #1 and #7.

some sniffer wrote that. i leave no trace. i don't read that drivel

emerald
04-05-2008, 19:36
People who invent their own LNT guidelines sometimes invent their own code too.:rolleyes: I never cease to be amazed how no one leaves a trace, but yet I see traces of those who have been there before everywhere I go.

Lone Wolf
04-05-2008, 19:38
People who invent their own LNT guide lines sometimes invent their own code too.:rolleyes: I never cease to be amazed how no one leaves a trace, but yet I see traces of those who have been there before everywhere I go.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: yourself

emerald
04-05-2008, 19:40
I'm not even sure how to respond.:-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-05-2008, 21:58
FD - Aren't those regulations only for the Presidio Trust (http://www.presidio.gov/trust/)?

Same, or similar, regs may apply to National Forests in GA but I don't believe the specific regulations you quoted apply to GA.Darn it - I quoted the wrong one. There is a list of the regs for all the parks in that sections of the register. They pretty much all say the same thing about where to camp (except for the eco-sensitive areas)

emerald
04-05-2008, 22:07
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: yourself

I never cease to be amazed how no one leaves a trace, but yet I see traces of those who have been there before everywhere I go.

Next time before you get in your truck, you might want to do an about-face and see what you can see.:p:rolleyes:;):)

Toolumpy
04-06-2008, 09:43
Again thanx for all the info. I cant believe a question like this can start so much bickering! Was not planing on having a fire or creating a campsite, just wanted to set my tent for sleeping without getting in trouble. I sure hope I don't meet some of you on the trail.

10-K
04-06-2008, 12:36
I cant believe a question like this can start so much bickering!

Stick around.. ;) It's a regular "Clash of the Type A's".