PDA

View Full Version : Swamp is dry.

Cuffs
04-05-2008, 12:03
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/outdoors/article439840.ece

Cuffs
04-05-2008, 12:12
Video related to above article... http://video.ap.org/v/Default.aspx?partner=en-ap&g=f94c497f-fe07-498d-9e09-448c258c55c4&f=FLPET&mk=en-ap

slow
04-06-2008, 00:42
A gallon in feb is a joke.Never drank a gallon in july while mowing 20 lawns in the 70's.

MagicSFK
06-15-2008, 21:15
May 15th and it's still dry! I hiked in a couple miles from the Southern Terminous on Loop Rd. today and didn't see even a puddle anywhere on the trail.

MagicSFK
06-15-2008, 21:19
Oops, I'm calendar-challenged....today is June 15th! :eek:

wahoo
06-16-2008, 08:53
Man, everything is so dry right now. I was out in Richloam/Green Swamp and places that always have water are bone dry.
Hopefully we'll get some good soakers in the coming weeks.

The article about Big Cypress says that it is 2,400 acres, when it's really 720,000 acres. When you read it knowing the correct acreage, you can better see the magnitude of the problem with there being no water in Big Cypress. When it's dry in places like that (and Green Swamp), then we've got a big problem on our hands.

BumpJumper
06-22-2008, 14:24
Hey cuffs....hey slow....how are yall doing? We need to hook up. I need to do some hiking. Have had a bad month...really bad so I need to get out and do something....:D

Cuffs
06-22-2008, 15:04
Man, everything is so dry right now. I was out in Richloam/Green Swamp and places that always have water are bone dry.
Hopefully we'll get some good soakers in the coming weeks.

Dang, I used to live right near there... too bad I didnt find hiking/bp'ing til I moved away!

wahoo
06-22-2008, 17:27
It's raining right now, so hopefully some spots will get a little water back in them.

Cuffs, you used to live near Richloam? Dang, there ain't no hikers out here...!

MagicSFK
06-22-2008, 17:50
Yeah, it's been raining here the last couple of days too (South FL). The rivers, err, I mean trails should be back to normal soon.

Knocky
07-06-2008, 09:08
Its pretty much bone dry up in the swampy areas of Osceola National Forest as well.
The Big Gum Swamp wilderness area, and Pinhook Swamp are both pretty dry.
The "Turkey Run" part of the FT runs just to the South of Big Gum.

mister krabs
07-06-2008, 09:26
Hey, what ya'll really need is a hurricane!!
Just kidding, kinda.

Here in GA, we get most of our summer rain from petered out florida hurricanes. You get "mild hurricane seasons" we get drought.

MagicSFK
07-06-2008, 20:56
There's one brewing in the Atlantic...let's hope it peters out.

Did our monthly 9-miler this morning at Jonathan Dickinson Park and there's water back where it's supposed to be, and even some on the trail!

Hammock Hanger
07-07-2008, 08:46
I don't know about the big swamp down south but there is more then enough water up here in North FL. It has rained, and rained hard every day for weeks. My flower beds are all rotting because there is just too much water. I have drained the pool every other day. Better then the alternative, drought and high fire warnings.

I'll pass on the hurricane, thank you very much.

Hammock Hanger
07-07-2008, 08:49
There's one brewing in the Atlantic...let's hope it peters out.

Did our monthly 9-miler this morning at Jonathan Dickinson Park and there's water back where it's supposed to be, and even some on the trail!

Did you do this privately or with the FTA group. If with the FTA group, who leads it now? When I lived down in PBG it was Sunny P. Unfortunately my friend has passed.

MagicSFK
07-07-2008, 21:44
HH - it was with the Loxahatchee FTA group. Lately, Mary & Lois have been leading the trip, especially to the Dune Dog Cafe afterwards. LOL A couple of us may try to slog through Corbett this Saturday.

Hammock Hanger
07-14-2008, 22:06
HH - it was with the Loxahatchee FTA group. Lately, Mary & Lois have been leading the trip, especially to the Dune Dog Cafe afterwards. LOL A couple of us may try to slog through Corbett this Saturday.

Did you hike in Corbett this Sat?? I miss the Lox/FTA. I use to hike a lot in Dupuis.

notorius tic
07-14-2008, 22:27
NOT DRY HERE IN BRADENTON.. Heck I live on the ocean.. I have been watching Bay New 9 on a semi Religous factor because My grandma an Granpa live in Lakeland.. Got more rain than they handle.. It has some what returned to normal acctiveted afternoon showers.. Hey this global climate change has semi-reversed-natures coast here.. I Remember playing out at the PhosTASTE pit behind my house an like clock work RAIN at 3 oclock on the dot...: Hey dont Just sit an watch it RAIN PLAY IN IT" an thank ho ever you want fore just "THANK "EM"

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2008, 22:31
Hey cuffs....hey slow....how are yall doing? We need to hook up. I need to do some hiking. Have had a bad month...really bad so I need to get out and do something....:D

Lookin at that wonderful picture, the smile, the accent, the personality, I just want to go south a 1000 miles and go Hikin.....:D

notorius tic
07-14-2008, 22:32
I thimk we got this forum started here FTH good jog to theAdvisors fore keeping this 1 alive <: No sniveling here.. TY to the Moderators fore keeping this thread alive.. Also I will donate an become a OFFICIAL WB Member.. LOL I Belong to a OUTDOORS PERSON SOCIETY.. (Mountaians Move Me I Due Not Move Mountains)

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2008, 22:35
Tic.. Did you just studder??? what was that.....

U are a donating member.

notorius tic
07-14-2008, 22:40
Sry I keep getting a blue name a Donor Tag on the top of my screen?

notorius tic
07-14-2008, 22:45
Any one help me please I have lost my LED an Pack an get UP.. CLAP ON CLAP OFF.. Hey KIT were are you.. Smile I Know you are..

notorius tic
07-14-2008, 22:47
Check put my PICS... Yea saddleback.. Stayed until the SunSet Gee wish I wa there..

MagicSFK
07-16-2008, 19:05
HH - Yes, about 7 of us slogged through a short 5 mile section of Corbett last Saturday including the Bowman's Campsite and the "Hole in the Wall". Fun trip...wet, but fun! I did a loop hike at Dupuis about 2 months ago...first time there. I liked the area and aside from one section of the trail being ripped up by wild hogs, it was in great shape.

Hammock Hanger
07-16-2008, 19:45
HH - Yes, about 7 of us slogged through a short 5 mile section of Corbett last Saturday including the Bowman's Campsite and the "Hole in the Wall". Fun trip...wet, but fun! I did a loop hike at Dupuis about 2 months ago...first time there. I liked the area and aside from one section of the trail being ripped up by wild hogs, it was in great shape.

The Hole in the Wall is beautiful when the bromeliads are in bloom.

Dupuis surely has it's fair share of hogs. When camping and they come thru at night the little ones are cute. My son use to love to watch them.

Two Winds '97
07-29-2008, 02:40
Hey all! I'm thinking of thru-hiking the FT this winter and would love to hear reports come Sep. and Oct. Does the trail seem to be less wet in the winter, vs. the summer, on average?

Hammock Hanger
07-29-2008, 07:02
Hey all! I'm thinking of thru-hiking the FT this winter and would love to hear reports come Sep. and Oct. Does the trail seem to be less wet in the winter, vs. the summer, on average?

The winter is the drier season, but there will always be pockets of watery trail and swampy areas. (Did you get my PM with the info you requested??)

Two Winds '97
07-29-2008, 23:17
The winter is the drier season, but there will always be pockets of watery trail and swampy areas. (Did you get my PM with the info you requested??)

I did, thank you very much. Sorry if I didn't respond. I've got a lot of thinking to do and questions to formulate, so...