PDA

View Full Version : Two Favorite Lunch / Cold Dinners?

jhomeresq
04-05-2008, 16:07
Hi Whiteblaze!

My wife and I are just getting ready to start our first three week AT adventure, and we're down to our last thing to figure out: Food. And, so a query:

What are your two favorite things to eat for lunch?

(These will actually probably be our dinner as we like the idea of a nice break / hot lunch mid-day.)

Thanks!
John

Bulldawg
04-05-2008, 16:09
My two favorites are tuna w/ a packet of mayo in a flour tortilla and then an apple with peanut butter to dip it in.(has to be the first day as apples are heavy, but GOOD)

A close third is chicken fixed exactly like the tuna above.

sofaking
04-05-2008, 16:11
snickers, various dried fruits, granola bars, nicotine and red wine...rocket fuel.

Bulldawg
04-05-2008, 16:13
Mmmmm red wine, I almost bought one of them leather botas the other day.

sofaking
04-05-2008, 16:18
Mmmmm red wine, I almost bought one of them leather botas the other day.
no no no-perhaps one of modern mans best inventions, wine in a box...take out the bag of vino and your golden! sometimes it'll even last a couple of days...:D

Bulldawg
04-05-2008, 16:20
Is that wine in the box any good? How well does the bag hold up in your pack? PLease explain more or even open a new thread???

sofaking
04-05-2008, 16:25
Is that wine in the box any good? How well does the bag hold up in your pack? PLease explain more or even open a new thread???
the stuff is brilliant...the bag has a leak proof tap built in, guaranteeing that the wine stays air free and doesn't oxidize. franzia is probably the most popular brand, i enjoy mountain burgundy or chillable red varieties. after the bag is empty, you can reuse it as a pillow for the rest of the trip. and wine is wonderful, jesus said so.:sun

bigcranky
04-05-2008, 17:29
Bulldawg beat me to it.

#1: I like the sweet and spicy tuna packet in a large flour tortilla, with three slices of American cheese, three or four mayo packets, and one or two mustard packets. Mmmm, good lunch.

#2: A big handful of Hormel sliced pepperoni, with cheese sticks, wrapped in a tortilla, also with a few mustard packets. You can substitute any good salami if you like.

sofaking
04-05-2008, 17:32
Bulldawg beat me to it.

#1: I like the sweet and spicy tuna packet in a large flour tortilla, with three slices of American cheese, three or four mayo packets, and one or two mustard packets. Mmmm, good lunch.

#2: A big handful of Hormel sliced pepperoni, with cheese sticks, wrapped in a tortilla, also with a few mustard packets. You can substitute any good salami if you like.

sudden hunger pangs...must. eat. early...dinner

Bulldawg
04-05-2008, 17:52
the stuff is brilliant...the bag has a leak proof tap built in, guaranteeing that the wine stays air free and doesn't oxidize. franzia is probably the most popular brand, i enjoy mountain burgundy or chillable red varieties. after the bag is empty, you can reuse it as a pillow for the rest of the trip. and wine is wonderful, jesus said so.:sun

Hmmm, so no worries with leaks are nicks with the bag? I might just try this stuff on my short overnighter next weekend. Skids, TS...... you guys help me drink a bag of wine??

J5man
04-05-2008, 17:57
Fun size snickers are as important in my bag as water! (not a total lunch like you asked about but it is basically gorp that is easer to eat!) The fun size is perfect for a little pick me up between meals.

winger
04-05-2008, 18:00
Best suggestions for packing peanut butter?

sofaking
04-05-2008, 18:02
Hmmm, so no worries with leaks are nicks with the bag? I might just try this stuff on my short overnighter next weekend. Skids, TS...... you guys help me drink a bag of wine??

the plastic is very thick guage, and i keep it in the top of pack everytime, never had it leak...
i end up with more wine down the front of my shirt at home than i ever would on the trail :banana

sofaking
04-05-2008, 18:03
you realize it's usually about 5 liters in the bag, yeah?

Bulldawg
04-05-2008, 18:03

Jif makes small supposedly single serv tubs that sell four at the time. Just found them here recently. I find one or two will get me through several days.

Before then, I carried small amounts in small tupperware bowls.

mudhead
04-05-2008, 18:22
you realize it's usually about 5 liters in the bag, yeah?

Also 3L, 1.5L and for small people, 500ml.

Bulldawg
04-05-2008, 18:28
Hmmm, they do make small bags or no? If I carried 5L I couldn't carry any water. I don't know if it would be a good idea to replace my water with strictly wine.

sofaking
04-05-2008, 18:28
Also 3L, 1.5L and for small people, 500ml.

where have you found these? i'd like to get some 3l for day hikes...:D

mudhead
04-05-2008, 18:39
Hannaford. Shaw's. SuperWalmart.

Some upscale labels, too.

sofaking
04-05-2008, 18:43
Hannaford. Shaw's. SuperWalmart.

Some upscale labels, too.
i need to move north...

boarstone
04-05-2008, 19:03
Please! NOT IN ZIP LOCK BAGS! Keep in original plastic jar....I've had a few resupplies come apart w/this stuff....yuck!

kayak karl
04-06-2008, 10:05
Hmmm, they do make small bags or no? If I carried 5L I couldn't carry any water. I don't know if it would be a good idea to replace my water with strictly wine.
could it make the Ramen noodles taste any worse? :D

chknfngrs
04-06-2008, 10:10
I've seen PB "Squeezers" made byh JIF, which is basically peanut butter in a long straw-like wrapper. I haven't seen it in a while, but it is the perfect solution to your peanut butter ills.

When I was a kid Campor used to sell (and probably still does) a squeezable container designed for peanut butter.

But, some folks love the stuff so much they just carry the jar.

mrc237
04-06-2008, 10:15
glass a watta and a toothpick

mrc237
04-06-2008, 10:19
I've seen PB "Squeezers" made byh JIF, which is basically peanut butter in a long straw-like wrapper. I haven't seen it in a while, but it is the perfect solution to your peanut butter ills.

When I was a kid Campor used to sell (and probably still does) a squeezable container designed for peanut butter.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13532&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1 Great item use'em all the time

take-a-knee
04-06-2008, 10:39

Partially hydrogenated poison, try this instead:

http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=8078

fiddlehead
04-06-2008, 11:07
bagel with cream cheese
black beans (dehydrated by me) and cheese on tortilla (i make em spicy)

4eyedbuzzard
04-06-2008, 11:41
Cold lunch?

Tuna(chunk white/albacore in oil) on a wrap or pita with some mayo(packets). Buy the canned tuna, the cans weigh very little empty and I like the oil variety when hiking for the extra calories and texture. IMO, the pouches are a rip off at the price and don't weigh much less than the cans. You can carry some fresh tomato, onion, celery, etc for a few days out as well depending upon taste.

Summer sausage with cheese and crackers is also a standby, as is PB on english muffin with either honey or jam. Hard boiled eggs are also a good one.

Hot lunch?

Anything I'd normally cook for dinner, even including frozen meat that I might carry for the first day or two out. I'll freeze a small rib eye or pork chop and carry them in styrofoam inside a ziplock - they'll stay frozen/cold for up to 48 hours. Cook 'em up with some instant mashed potatoes, some fresh or dehydrated veggies and you're set.

Also like (canned or pouch) salmon with a mustard sauce over minute rice, canned or pouch chicken, tuna, ham, spam:eek: and ..., etc. works too. Pre-packaged mac and cheese(variety with freeze dried beef is available), pasta meals or regular pasta with dehydated sauce mix or with oil and grated cheese, etc. Instant potatoes are a favorite of mine. Biggest objective is to keep the heat requirements to a minimum to save on fuel usage, time, and fussing with regulating the heat output of your stove. Avoid regular rice and stuff that needs to simmer for long periods of time. Boil and done should be the objective.

Stock up on those packets of condiments at take out places(ketchup, mustard, honey, sweet and sour, barbeque, etc) and carry some salt, pepper, Mrs Dash, freeze dried garlic, dehydated onion, etc. Spices don't weigh a lot and can relieve the boredom of the typical hiker fare you'll be eating. You can make lots of tasty sauces with just a few simply condimments.

I like instant pudding for dessert, and carry a plastic container(chinese soup) to shake it up in. Just add the pudding mix, powdered milk, and water and shake like hell for a few minutes. The colder the water the better - and go a little light on the amount of water. Doesn't always get as thick as at home but it's still a nice treat. Some people have had luck with the instant cheesecake/pudding as well.

Also go to http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/ for some great tips on lots of easy trail meals.

angewrite
04-06-2008, 11:55
Sandwiches are great whether you use a bagel, hotdog bun or tortillas. I like the foil packs of bbq chicken or flavored tuna. You can use regular tuna and mayo. Pepperoni and cheese is yummy and full of necessary salt. Then there are always the only standbys like energy bars, handfulsof GORP and dried fruit

Uncle B
04-06-2008, 11:55
BBQ chicken breast (in a foil pack) with crackers.
http://www.bumblebee.com/chickenbreast/barbeque/

When the chicken is gone i pour the reaming sauce into a mouth full of crackers.

I also like their teriyaki salmon steak in a foil pack.

Disclaimer: Just about everything tastes good to me on the trail.

88BlueGT
04-06-2008, 23:59
BBQ chicken breast (in a foil pack) with crackers.
http://www.bumblebee.com/chickenbreast/barbeque/

When the chicken is gone i pour the reaming sauce into a mouth full of crackers.

I also like their teriyaki salmon steak in a foil pack.

Disclaimer: Just about everything tastes good to me on the trail.

How exactally would you make that on the trail? I have a hard time remembering that theres alot of options when it comes to what food to bring but everytime I end up with a pack full of energy bars, ramen, mac and cheese and hot dogs (which I eat the same day). I'm sure my girlfriend would come with me more often if I packed something appealing lol

chili36
04-07-2008, 09:53
Favorite lunch....ramen noodles crushed up with Salad Toppers (vegetables, nuts) on in it rehydrated with pepperoni in it and mixed up with a packet of Ranch dressing.

Neat little pasta salad and it's a little different for the trail.

Long Island Ice Tea
04-07-2008, 10:05
Chick fil a sandwiches I like taking a whole bag of em with me B, L, and D

Uncle B
04-07-2008, 10:11
How exactally would you make that on the trail? I have a hard time remembering that theres alot of options when it comes to what food to bring but everytime I end up with a pack full of energy bars, ramen, mac and cheese and hot dogs (which I eat the same day). I'm sure my girlfriend would come with me more often if I packed something appealing lol

There's no "making" involved. The chicken and the salmon are precooked and are in foil pouches, just rip open the pouch and enjoy. I eat it cold, but I've seen folks heat it up in a pan over a stove.

88BlueGT
04-07-2008, 10:42
hmm...... they look prettty good. Guess I'll try em out :)

chili36
04-07-2008, 11:31
Make a pouch out of black cordura or other similar material, and put the foil pouch in it and lay it out in full sun. Won't heat it up to nuclear temps, but it will warm it up enough to get past the "cold tuna" stage.