PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiking

TrialsKing007
01-29-2004, 14:31
While reading former thru-hikers journals, it seems like they all hitchhiked regularly. Is it necessary to hitchhike on a thru-hike?

Lone Wolf
01-29-2004, 14:36
I would say it's definately necessary. The majority of towns for mail/resupply are 5-15 miles off the trail. Hitching is just one of those things you gotta do on a thru-hike.

Peaks
01-29-2004, 19:12
Well, there are places where hitch hiking sure is convienent. The answer all depends on your resupply plan. Myself, I tried to minimize the hitching. Sometimes, I carried extra days food so I could walk through rather than go off the trail. I used the shuttle at Fontana Dam. I hitched a ride back to the trail at Davenport Gap, I got a ride into and out of Waynesboro. I skipped Glasgow, Gatlenburg, Front Royal and several other towns.

Up north, I carried enough from Glencliff to get me over to Pinkham Notch. So, I didn't go into North Woodstock. However, I did hitch into Gorham and Rangley. I skipped Andover and Stratton. I bummed a ride out of Baxter State Park. Pretty hard to do Maine without hitching.

I also hitched and caught rides otherplaces, but from what I have posted, I hope you can get an idea of what I did.

Some people seemed to hitch at almost every road crossing. So, it all depends on your preferences.

Pabst
01-29-2004, 19:18
Do anyone know if it is illegal to Hitchhike is certain areas?

sienel
01-29-2004, 20:31
It's illegal to hitchhike along Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia (though people still do it, of course). Can't think of anywhere else off the top of my head.

Cedar Tree
01-29-2004, 20:47
I had never hitch-hiked a time in my life before my hike. I hitched over 50 times on my hike and never had a problem. In fact, several hitches turned into some of the best parts of my hike. People who pick up hikers along the AT often know they are dealing with Thruhikers, and they love to help. The hitching experience is a big part. Be careful, but don' worry.
Cedar Tree

Smooth03
02-07-2004, 01:18
I think that it is illegal to hitch-hike in almost all states through out the country but its not really a problem. I never had any problems but did hear that the troopers in NY were somewhat picky. Actually had a friend get picked up by a trooper while attempting to hitch but the trooper didn't hassle him at all.

Skeemer
02-07-2004, 08:19
Yeah, they do sometimes hassel you in NY. A couple I was hiking around last summer got stopped and "warned" by a trooper. I guesss he wasn't very nice and told them he would arrest them if he caught them again.

I myself hitched all the time...even into and out of towns for meals and lodging but never to yellow blaze. Most recognized me as a hiker and did it to help out. A couple of times I would strike up a conversation in a cafe with someone who would then give me a ride back to the Trail.

Almost half the time I got picked up by guys who had dogs in their vehicles with them...very friendly ones. And, being a "dog lover" I thought that was kinda neat...met some nice people and great dogs too.

Easiest place to get a ride was around Erwin...I wasn't even hitching...just walking along the road and a guy yelled over and asked if I wanted a ride.

Youngblood
02-07-2004, 10:07
I was thinking that hitching was illegal only inside city limits where they sometimes have ordinances against it. I think one of the "Hiker to Town/Hiker to Trail" bandanas might work out pretty well, see http://www.lwgear.com/lwg-misc.html for one. Has anyone ever used one?

Youngblood

Grampie
02-07-2004, 10:45
It would be some what difficult to do a thru-hike without hitchhiking. That is if you want to go into towns along the way. Many are just too far to walk to.
During my 2001 thru I never gave it thought... Especialy down south, most folks would pick you up, without a second thought, especialy if you have your pack with you. I soon found this out..after a stop at the Blueberry Patch. I got all cleaned up and got a ride into town. When I got ready to go back I :) :) stood by the road with my thumb out for a good half hour before I got a ride. I guess I didn't look like a hiker.
Some woman I hiked with were very relunclent to hitch. One gal I met asked me to hitch into town with her so she could go to a drug store. I think that is one of the reasons woman usually team up and hike with a partner.
My advise would be; hitch into town, try to go with someone else, always take your pack and be causious as to who you take a ride from.
Happy trails.
Grampie-N->2001

Peaks
02-07-2004, 17:05
I'd say that almost no one hikes Maine without hitching. With the exception of Monson and Carratunk, all towns (Andover, Rangely, Stratton, Millinocket) are too far off the trail to do otherwise.

Kozmic Zian
02-09-2004, 01:43
Yea, Hitchin'.....There's times when you're dogged and on The Trail, when you come to the road it's like, " wow! The Road....'Trail Majik'. If you have a mind, or need resupply, or whatever....hitch in, hitch out. Just come back, if you can, to where you got off. Don't 'Yellow Blaze'. Too much of that is done. I used to really get peeved, when I'd walk past a certain hiker on Da Trail, only to find them sittin' in the Shelter when I got there....seems I busted my butt gettin' dar and they flew in! Oh, well....hitchin', you usually get some pretty interestin' rides with folks who really are nice and excited to meet you. The ones who see a Thousand-Million Hikers each year, usually, won't give you a ride anyway....less they're 'Trail Angels'.

-----------------------------------
I Grow Old Learning Something New Every Day.......~Solon, Valerius Maximus~