PDA

View Full Version : what is the best place to go to in the phili area

navy111588
04-06-2008, 14:48
hey i will be in the philidelphia are visiting my girlfriend and i want to go for the weekend to a good spot any ideas?

Lellers
04-06-2008, 14:54
what exactly do you want to do in Philly? Are you talking about camping, or do you mean in town?

If you want to camp, I'd suggest the Pine Barrens in New Jersey. It's not far away, and it's a very unique environment. So unique, in fact, that it enjoys international environmental protection. Belhavencanoe.com 800-445-0953 can set you up for an overnight kayak or canoe trip on one of the four rivers that meander through the area. I happen to like the overnights on the Batsto staying at the Lower Forge campsite.

If you're talking about downtown Philly, young folks always seem to like South Street. Lots of interesting things go on down there. There's the historical stuff, of course.

Be a bit more specific, and I might be able to give you a really spot on recommendation.

navy111588
04-06-2008, 15:00
sorry i did mean camping and hiking how far is the at from there? see, i used to live 1 mile from the ten-mile lean too so thats where we would always go for just overnights but now we are not really close to anything

Lyle
04-06-2008, 15:09
Could go to Blue Rocks Campground, North of Hamburg. They used to let you leave your vehicle parked there, hike up their Yellow blaze trail to the AT just south of the Pinnacle, catch the view from there, then hike south to Windsor Furnace Shelter, spend the night, then bactrack to the Blue-blaze trail back down to Blue Rocks Campground. Makes a nice almost loop. I used to do this hike when I lived in Reading and Honeybrook. About a two hour drive from Philly I would guess.

http://www.bluerockscampground.com/hiking.htm

navy111588
04-06-2008, 15:11
what about around the delaware river?

camojack
04-06-2008, 15:16
what about around the delaware river?
If you're looking for the A.T. around the Delaware River, it's quite a ways upstream from Philly...but a very nice area.

modiyooch
04-06-2008, 18:31
is this an oxymoron (sp?) ? I don't relate the two. I would either go to the city; or go elsewhere for camping. Lots of pavement in phillie. Do get a cheese steak.

88BlueGT
04-24-2008, 01:37
You can have the best of both worlds. There is a little park right across from Gino's Steaks, pitch your tent, hope it doesnt get stolen, walk over to Gino's and get yourself two cheesesteaks, go back and than do it all over again a few times. Would be the best weekend ever. And if you get lucky, you might be able to catch a celebrity there! :)

Lyle
04-24-2008, 10:40
I used to live across the river in NJ. If I had the opportunity, on Sunday mornings I enjoyed getting up early, catching the train into Downtown, then walking around Independence National Park. The area was virtually deserted but with plenty of explanatory displays . Was very easy in the quiet solitude to mentally take yourself back to the 1700's and imagine our founding fathers wandering these streets and entering these buildings.

Obviously, you couldn't enter the buildings at that time of day, but for the outdoor experience, it can't be beat.

Maybe I'm just an early American History nut or something, but this was always a relaxing and moving way to spend a nice morning.

X-LinkedHiker
04-24-2008, 11:02
Yeah, anywhere along the AT. :) Then about a 45 minute drive north you have Blue mountain (White Hall)

emerald
04-24-2008, 12:28
I used to do this hike when I lived in Reading and Honeybrook.

Sometimes I learn something interesting when reading post. Not often, but it encourages me to continue reading.