PDA

View Full Version : Foil pouches for food

barrin
04-06-2008, 15:57
I have previously used some of the mountain house foods in foil pouches and the ease and weight of these was a big plus. I recently got a good deal on some #10 cans of freeze dried foods, was wondering if all foil pouches can withstand boiling water? I found some on e-bay, but they don't say about boiling water, just fda approved. Does anyone know about these pouches or any easy way to carry & prepare foods that come out of big cans?

Hooch
04-06-2008, 16:00
I have previously used some of the mountain house foods in foil pouches and the ease and weight of these was a big plus. I recently got a good deal on some #10 cans of freeze dried foods, was wondering if all foil pouches can withstand boiling water? I found some on e-bay, but they don't say about boiling water, just fda approved. Does anyone know about these pouches or any easy way to carry & prepare foods that come out of big cans?Go with freezer bags. Or just contact the seller on ebay and see what they have to say about it.

Appalachian Tater
04-06-2008, 17:46
FDA approved for what?

If you identify the pouches, someone might be able to give information.

I would probably just put the stuff in a gallon freezer bag and rehydrate it in my pot.

boarstone
04-10-2008, 17:52
Try it(boil in a bag) at home first...use your own test kitchen...

RollingStone
04-10-2008, 18:00
Freezer bags are far more economical and they are recyclable. They're made from #2 plastic. At Costco we get them in bulk, 4 boxes, 54 bags each box, for 8 bucks. That works out to 4 cents a bag.

Utilize those and easy to make cozy from reflectix insulation and you have yourself the perfect cooking setup for the freeze dried products you bought.

Ether
04-13-2008, 20:59
Freezer bags, especially ones that say they are safe for cooking sous vide.

Most vacuum seal bags (foodsaver, etc.) are also safe for boiling water, as they too can be used for sous vide cooking.

X-LinkedHiker
04-13-2008, 21:19
I have a mess kit that I use for almost all my cooking and eating. The only thing I really would cook in it's package are the ramen noodle cup of noodles. Why don't you buy one, try it out by putting a flame to it and see what happens? Sorry I couldn't be of any help pertaining to the bags directly, but a steel/aluminum mess kit is the way to go if you are worried about that kind of stuff.