PDA

View Full Version : Button up shirts

10-K
04-06-2008, 16:04
Does anyone ever hike in button up shirts? I've always worn Armor-All type t-shirts when hiking and have no experience with button ups and hiking.

I was in our local Sam's Club and they've got Pacific-Tech 100% synthetic button up shirts for $15. The back is completely vented via a slit with mesh behind it (make sense?). I think they're officially called "Fishing shirts". They're made out of the same material as my convertible pants... They look to be extremely breathable and I bet they'd dry in no time when wet.

Anyway, I bought an extra large and it just weighs a few ounces and will compress smaller than a softball.

My concern is that being a button up it won't have the stretching ability of a t-shirt and thus may be uncomfortable.

Lyle
04-06-2008, 16:08
Haven't used em for backpacking but have used a light cotton button-up work shirt for doing trail building/maintenance. I find it very comfortable. Not sure why i never take it backpacking, just the weight I guess. Wouldn't think it would be a problem comfort wise - actually quite versatile and better bug protection.

hnryclay
04-06-2008, 16:12
I like them, they keep the bugs off, and are usually spf 25 or above. Can be worn over base layer short sleeve Under armor type shirt, or worn by themselves. The only problem I have with this style of shirt is that it is usually pricey. $45 dollars or more, so your $15 sound great.

Hooch
04-06-2008, 16:15
I got a similar type shirt from REI with my dividend this year. It's great, comfortable, well vented and doesn't bind at all. Definitely a good use of my dividend, IMO.

10-K
04-06-2008, 17:12
That's great to hear - I kinda thought it'd work but wanted to get some firsthand reports.

I'm going to pack mine with me next week when I do the Erwin-Damascus section. I'm debating on going back and grabbing a few more.

Anybody else want a few while I'm there? :)

Jim Adams
04-06-2008, 17:22
I have a Columbia, an Exofficio and a North Face and wear them as street clothes and have used them on the trail. Retail is usually $45-$70. I would buy a few more at $15. They are very handy for backpacking especially with bugs. They vent pretty good if it's hot and the arms can be rolled up and fastened. They are light and do dry quickly if you have the nylon ones (also made in cotton). I think that you will like it this time of year on that section of trail.

geek

mudhead
04-06-2008, 17:28
I have a Sears button up that is great. Old and thin! Cuts wind and dries fast. No good during black flies.

Jim Adams
04-06-2008, 17:38
I have a Sears button up that is great. Old and thin! Cuts wind and dries fast. No good during black flies.

Very true, gotta have it pretty baggy to be good against black flies.

geek

Footslogger
04-06-2008, 17:45
[quote=10-K;587638]Does anyone ever hike in button up shirts?

===================================

Wouldn't backpack without one. I have a couple of the Columbia nylon shirts. Bought them a little large so they allow a little ventillation between me and the shirt. Don't actually hike in them much but generally keep one handy (strapped across the top/outside of my pack) and pull it on when I take a break or at night. Amazing how much body warmth they contain.

'Slogger

JAK
04-06-2008, 17:48
A wool shirt would be nice.

sofaking
04-06-2008, 17:53
maybe try washing it in bean-o...:eek:

Toolshed
04-06-2008, 18:17
I have REI, TNF, Columbia and Campmor modesl of nylon buttondown shirts. I got my first in 1992 and I love them. Much easier to get in and out of in a tent. Roll up the sleeves on hot days, unbutton the front on really hot days. Wear a Synth T-shirt underneath and the long sleeve buttondown over it and unbottoned (or not) on cooler days.
Keep a compass in the shirt pocket when bushwacking. Doesn't cling like a t-shirt does.

10-K
04-06-2008, 18:31
I have REI, TNF, Columbia and Campmor modesl of nylon buttondown shirts. I got my first in 1992 and I love them. Much easier to get in and out of in a tent. Roll up the sleeves on hot days, unbutton the front on really hot days. Wear a Synth T-shirt underneath and the long sleeve buttondown over it and unbottoned (or not) on cooler days.
Keep a compass in the shirt pocket when bushwacking. Doesn't cling like a t-shirt does.

Another thing that these shirts have is 4 pockets. There are the normal breast pockets and then underneath them are 2 smaller pockets that close via velcro. I'm a big fan of pockets.

Believe it or not, right now I wear a (dont laugh) fly fishing vest (http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=1835&dir_id=758&group_id=781&cat_id=5138&subcat_id=6037) to keep my camera, map, snacks, etc. handy. I hate to take off my pack to get at something.

mudhead
04-06-2008, 19:55
That looks hot.

All that matters is that you like it.

10-K
04-06-2008, 20:07
That looks hot.

All that matters is that you like it.

Thanks - it probably will be hot when the weather warms. I got it February so that hasn't been an issue - yet. :)

Fiddleback
04-06-2008, 20:13
I've always worn button up shirts and, the last couple years, wore the 'fishing' shirts. But this season I've going to try the fishing vest. The one I have is made of the same material, and has the same basic construction, as the fishing shirts...it just doesn't have the sleeves. Underneath it I plan to wear a long-sleeved performance shirt such as a Zyflex or, in cooler weather, a SmartWool.

Maybe...just maybe...the extra pockets of the vest, combined with the pockets of cargo pants, will get rid of the need for a day hike waist pack and I'll be able to have my survival kit on my bod at all times.

FB

JAK
04-06-2008, 20:14
Another thing that these shirts have is 4 pockets. There are the normal breast pockets and then underneath them are 2 smaller pockets that close via velcro. I'm a big fan of pockets.

Believe it or not, right now I wear a (dont laugh) fly fishing vest (http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=1835&dir_id=758&group_id=781&cat_id=5138&subcat_id=6037) to keep my camera, map, snacks, etc. handy. I hate to take off my pack to get at something.Makes me think of the Daily Show. That alone makes it a really cool idea. :banana

BR360
04-06-2008, 20:43
I like button-down shirts. Wear them all the time on the trail. The buttons and long sleeves allow quite a bit of adaptation to temps/weather changes.

I have both synthetic (Columbia and Mountain Hardware) and silk. The synthetics stink after a couple of days, but are more durable, esp. when bushwhacking.

Last year I bought some $5.00 silk short-sleeve Hawaiian style shirts at the thrift store. VERY pleased with them as far as wicking, feel on skin in muggy (Southern) weather, and they don't stink after 5 days on the trail!

10-K
04-06-2008, 20:43
That looks hot.

BTW, did you mean "That looks hot" - as in Paris Hilton

Or hot - like the sun?

;) :) :)

JAK
04-06-2008, 20:46
BTW, did you mean "That looks hot" - as in Paris Hilton

Or hot - like the sun?

;) :) :)I took it as hot like Samantha Bee. :banana :banana :banana

Tinker
04-06-2008, 20:51
I used to hike in anything I normally wore for landscaping, including Dickie's brand button down polyester/cotton shirts. They were fine for warm to cool weather, but, obviously, the cotton slowed down the drying times (but that's not the reason not to use them, really).
I found that blackflies could very easily crawl through the space between the buttons and chew up my stomach and chest. Now I use polyester pullover shirts (tee shirt style) or a bicycling windbreaker which is totally uncoated nylon with a short neck zipper and long sleeves.

unl1988
04-06-2008, 21:01
what part of walmart did you find them in? I think I will go shop around, sports area, or clothing?

10-K
04-06-2008, 21:08
what part of walmart did you find them in? I think I will go shop around, sports area, or clothing?

Don't know about Wal-Mart... I found these at the Sam's Club in Wilmington. Had a couple hundred of 'em easy. I'm thinking they were $14.98 - definitely in that range and less than $20.

jay590
04-07-2008, 04:58
ive got a long sleeve button up shirt. its made by shimano and its great for hiking. i love it because it drys quickly, is light and stops my arms from getting sunburnt because i'm to lazy to put on sunscreen.

Mags
04-07-2008, 11:23
I backpack with a button down, polyester thrift store shirt. $4.

sun and bug protection, pockets, buttons up and down for easy ventilation.

Works for me anyway.

When I do an Eastern hike again, I'd forgo the long sleeves and use a short sleeve polyester shirt.

10-K
04-07-2008, 12:18
I'm going to go pick a few more up this afternoon. Thanks to everyone for the feedback and experience.

sly dog
04-07-2008, 12:27
I picked one up on sale at JC Penny, it advertised moisture wicking but not sure of material. It is deff. not cotton but it is also not silk, some kind of poly but not sure what kind, it is comfortable. My brother thru'ed in 06 with a button up the whole way and now i am hooked on them, love it for the quick ventilation and the pocket comes in handy. I want to try a silk this year, his silk didn't fair that well but what do you expect, it was a thru hike.

hobbit
04-07-2008, 15:09
I own one of those nylon "fishing shirts" that button down and have long sleeves and it has been one of the best hiking decisions that I have ever made (apart from switching to a hammock haha)
up here in Maine it is one of the most versatile pieces of clothing you can use
when backpacking I used to carry 2 short sleeve and one longsleeve "under armor" shirts even into the warmer months now I will usually just carry that fishing shirt and one short sleeve under armor shirt to go underneath it if it gets chilly... if its really warm sleeves buttoned up and unbuttoned makes it really vented but buttoned up and worn over an under armor shirt its comparable to a light fleece its also wind/bug/sun resistant and doesn't weigh much to boot it also dries out very quickly

its definitely my first choice coupled with nylon pants for wet periods and spring hiking where you are very likely to get wet

LIhikers
04-07-2008, 15:12
My wife hikes in synthetic, long sleeve, button down shirts year round. She is very sensative to both poison ivy and sun burn. She says the shirt protects her from both of those problems.

jhick
04-07-2008, 15:23
I have 2 nylon North Face shirts that I got on clearance for $20 each, great deal. I love them for hiking. They dry real fast and are very comfy. I'm gonna have to go check out Sam's for the ones you have.

Wags
04-07-2008, 15:33
i don't like to hike in anythign that reminds me of work. no boots, no button up shirts, etc :D

Bob S
04-07-2008, 15:38
I use button up shirts all the time, I find them more comfortable then pull over shirts. They allow for more free movement without the material stretching to pull you back. I also find them cooler when it’s hot and warmer when it’s cold. .

jhick
04-07-2008, 15:53
i don't like to hike in anythign that reminds me of work. no boots, no button up shirts, etc :D

I'm pretty lucky... I work in an office and can wear t-shirts. I guess if I was really lucky, I'd be out on the trail and not in an office 'working'. :-?

StepChld
04-08-2008, 14:24
I was in our local Sam's Club and they've got Pacific-Tech 100% synthetic button up shirts for $15. Oh great...only yesterday I received my order from Campmor w/that exact same type of shirt but it cost me double. I too wanted to try it as I'm really not a fan of T-Shirts, especially in warmer weather. Perhaps I'll go buy one from Sam's and hem it to short sleeves...I think the wife wouldn't mind that to much, especially if it kept me from doing that to the one I just bought at Campmor!:rolleyes:

Johnny Swank
04-08-2008, 14:43
I wore a Columbia fishing shirt all the way down the Mississippi. Hadn't planned on wearing it so much, but it was one of the best pieces of clothing I took. Totally changed the way I pack clothes now.

Fall, Spring - Long sleeve shirt, Marmot Driclime, some insulating jacket for camp. Maybe one pair thermal pants, socks, hat, fleece mitts. That's it.

Winter - same as above, with one l/s thermal shirt if it's going to be consistently below freezing.

Summer - long sleeve shirt, Marmot driclime. Those two things, with a fleece hat/gloves and silnylon rainsuit, cover 90% of what I get into now. I really wish I'd gone this route when I thru-hiked.

taildragger
04-08-2008, 14:48
I've got an old ugly teal nylon one. Man those things are nice on the venting, and pockets are always nice. I had to cut the collar off of mine, it was rubbing my neck raw.

leeki pole
04-08-2008, 15:01
I've got three, a TNF long sleeve, Columbia short sleeve and a cycling shirt (not sure of the brand, Hind maybe) that's a full zip, long sleeve, all of them poly and they're all great. The only problem with the cycling shirt is that the pockets are under my pack. Good for camp, though, you just stick your stuff you need and your bottles in the back pockets. Handy when you need to camel up.

10-K
04-08-2008, 16:12
Oh great...only yesterday I received my order from Campmor w/that exact same type of shirt but it cost me double. I too wanted to try it as I'm really not a fan of T-Shirts, especially in warmer weather. Perhaps I'll go buy one from Sam's and hem it to short sleeves...I think the wife wouldn't mind that to much, especially if it kept me from doing that to the one I just bought at Campmor!:rolleyes:

Even better, they are short sleeved.