PDA

View Full Version : Edward Abbey

Frosty
01-29-2004, 17:10
The discussions on a couple of threads are fascinating, especially the strict admonitions to obey all the rules and regualtions of all corporations and state and federal organizations.

So, I have to ask, those of you who have read Edward Abbey, what do you think of him?

Hiker Hero or Common Criminal?

Tom

Lone Wolf
01-29-2004, 17:12
Ed is my God and Jesus Christ. He ain't resting in peace either! :D

chris
01-29-2004, 18:08
Just a man, albeit a dead one now. I've liked, mostly, what I've read. I suspect that he would very much dislike being labeled a hero. I also think he would revel in being called a criminal.

buddha small b
01-29-2004, 19:16
I just read Desert Solitaire and was surprised that he was neither the hero of the environment that I suspected, nor was he any more criminal than most.
I am grateful for his insight. While not profound, he seemed to have a flair for making the "powers that know what's in our best interest" look like the short sighted idiots and morons that they really are. Anybody can do that..... Mr. Abbey did it with style and a sledgehammer. I will miss his razor sharp wit.
I suspect he's resting out in the desert somewhere, but not quite "in peace".

funkyfreddy
01-29-2004, 21:12
Ed Abbey was an *******, very little doubt in my mind about that. That being said he was also a GREAT WRITER, and the world is a better place for him having traveled upon it. He left us 2 great books that I know of - "The Monkey Wrench Gang" and "Desert Solitaire". I haven't read his whole catalogue but what I liked most about him was his SENSE OF HUMOR, which is rare among nature writers nowadays in these fashion driven, PC times. We need more like him!

smokymtnsteve
01-29-2004, 21:38
I would say that eddie abbey was a criminal though not very common.

"I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." says edward abbey

since killing both man and snakes is illegal eddie would be a criminal

he was also a litter bug..

"Nature, like Miamonides said, is mainly a good place to throw beer cans on Sunday afternoons." says edward abbey

and had no respect for private property
"always pull up survey stakes, anywhere you find them. anywhere."

he was also anti- social and anti religious..anti government

"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."
says edward abbey

"The missionaries go forth to Christianize the savages--as if the savages weren't dangerous enough already" says ed abbey

"Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and the hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward." says eddie

again eddie abbey says "Christian theology: nothing so grotesque could possibly be true."

and he liked mormons a little hanging out west I guess he had too

"Mormonism: Nothing so hilarious could possibly be true. Or all bad."
or so eddie says

eddie was also concerned about his health

"How to Avoid Pleurisy: Never make love to a girl named Candy on the tailgate of a half-ton Ford pickup during a chill rain in April out on Grandview Point in San Juan County, Utah." says eddie

I wonder if Candy was mormon...

he could be violent and had violent thoughts:

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. Is this Abbey?"

yes it is abbey... one of my heros

smokymtnsteve
01-30-2004, 00:44
listen abbey said it not me.

http://www.abbeyweb.net/quotes.htx

Frosty
01-30-2004, 09:10
I suspect that he would very much dislike being labeled a hero. I also think he would revel in being called a criminal.

This is my thought of him, also.

Tom

warren doyle
02-02-2004, 14:12
Good thought-provoking writer. I like his ability to make people think about important themes. He was an 'agitator' in the constructive sense of the word.
He was an enemy to the folks who wear brown shirts but who actually are in great need of an enema.

smokymtnsteve
02-02-2004, 14:53
criminal i'm sure of it....

"Filling out the form: Race? Human. Religion? Paiute. Occupation? Criminal anarchy. Hobbies? Survival with honor." says ed abbey

veteran
02-02-2004, 16:16
I Kinda like this one.

Cold morning on Aztec Peak Fire Lookout. First, build fire in old stove. Second, start coffee.
Then heat up last night's pork chops and spinach for breakfast. Why not? And why the hell not?

blackgrass
02-03-2004, 12:18
Abbey is great...Read a bunch of his stuff and keep looking for the hard to find books.

RESIST MUCH, OBEY LITTLE!
E.A.

I sort of think he is the outdoor Bukowski....

RedneckRye
02-03-2004, 16:31
Check out abebooks.com for rare/out of print stuff. They are a compendium 0f thousands of book stores stuff. I tracked down a couple of photo books Abbey wrote text for from there for not too much$$$

smokymtnsteve
02-03-2004, 16:46
beyond the wall