PDA

View Full Version : anyone been to northern trailhead port clinton?

navy111588
04-06-2008, 17:58
i am going to go there just for the weekend was wondering wether to go north or south for the best view/hike/shelter

saimyoji
04-06-2008, 18:04
If you can hike up to the Pinnacle, its worth it. Don't stay at the Windsor Shelter...keep going north towards Eckville, then take the side trail off to the left that leads back towards Port Clinton down to Rambling Run, much better campsite, makes for a great loop hike. Can be done in one day if you take the blue blaze trail up to the Pinnacle, but a great overnighter as well.

Hangman
04-06-2008, 18:06
I would go north for the best view. The pinicle is probaly the best view in pa. and pulpit rock is also a nice stop.

navy111588
04-06-2008, 18:13
ok good stuff i once saw this link i think on here that had a shelter to shelter list with pictures going north and south does anyone know where i can find that or something similar

fiddlehead
04-06-2008, 20:54
Nothing wrong with going south also.
There's a few good lookouts. Maybe not as good as the pinnacle but way less people. (the pinnacle can get crowded especially on weekends)
Eagles nest shelter is nice (maybe 6 miles south of Port clinton) and there is a lookout above the small town of Auburn also.
I grew up on that section hiking it in the boyscouts in the 60s. Still go up there for a run or hike or cross country ski jaunt when i'm back home.

Blissful
04-06-2008, 21:13
I would go north for the best view. The pinicle is probaly the best view in pa. and pulpit rock is also a nice stop.

Geat views from there. Enjoyed that section of PA.