PDA

View Full Version : DIY hammock line?

johnnyblisters
04-06-2008, 18:48
I have been using 1" polypro webbing up until last nights SNAP :eek:. (2 years of HARD use, they had to break sometime..)
It has worked great but wanted to see what everyone else is using. I want to convert to a cord like the HH's and some tree straps, but I don't know what to go with. Any suggestions?

SGT Rock
04-06-2008, 19:19
I used some climbing accessory cord. I think it is rated to about 1200 lbs. I used that with tree straps and some light carabiners to attch the rope to the cords.

MoBill122
04-06-2008, 19:35
You might visit the local phone company construction office, or CATV, etc.. and ask for some used " mule tape ". Its a flat poly weaved material, with a pull strength of up to 6000lbs, although most is maybe 1800lbs.
Just do a search on Google and give it a look.
Phone companies, etc only use it once... they throw 1000's and 1000's of feet of this stuff away all the time.

Tinker
04-06-2008, 21:28
6mm climbing accessory cord works for me (210 lbs). It stretches the first half dozen times you set up, then it tends to become more static. It will stretch a bit, like all nylon, every time it gets wet. I use it because I think a nick in a cord would have less of an effect on the overall strength than the same nick in a flat webbing.