PDA

View Full Version : trail chili recipes

saimyoji
04-06-2008, 19:33
got any good ones to share?

sofaking
04-06-2008, 20:01
that's the problem with chili...everybody wants to share it. before and after supper time.:clap

woodsy
04-06-2008, 20:58
JAK must have some good ones, he knows about everything.:rolleyes:

Ashman
04-06-2008, 21:01
I use Winton Fowler's Texas 2 Alarm Chili spice kit. Good stuff but makes a heavy batch o chili. I like to make some for the firs night on the trail

warraghiyagey
04-06-2008, 21:01
JAK must have some good ones, he knows about everything.:rolleyes:

Actually, he doesn't. :( His recipes have never been able to account for the wind-chili factor.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing021.gif

woodsy
04-06-2008, 21:03
Actually, he doesn't. :( His recipes have never been able to account for the wind-chili factor.

troublemaker:p

BuckeyeGRRL
04-06-2008, 21:06
The Fantastic Foods Veggie chili is great and packed with protein. Its good on its own but I add dried tofu and some tabasco and ketchup for a little extra zing. :)

warraghiyagey
04-06-2008, 21:06
troublemaker:p

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/angelic004.gif

sofaking
04-06-2008, 21:07
The Fantastic Foods Veggie chili is great and packed with protein. Its good on its own but I add dried tofu and some tabasco and ketchup for a little extra zing. :)
tvp+ tofu = tnt!:eek:

Tinker
04-06-2008, 21:09
I LOVE good chili - can't cook it, my wife can, and anytime I get into it I become public enemy #1 on a hike. :p

woodsy
04-06-2008, 21:17
I like Chili too. Recipes vary from one end of the country to the other. Some use beans and some do not. I do the grd beef and red kidney beans in tomato sauce along with gr peppers, onions, cayenne peppers(dried) chili powder, cumin etc., made at home and eaten 1st night out.
Heat factor depends on wind chill factor...winter chili is x-tra hot.

warraghiyagey
04-06-2008, 21:34
Heat factor depends on wind chill factor...winter chili is x-tra hot.

And rightly so.

sofaking
04-06-2008, 21:42
i think the term 'wind' is being used a little too loosely in this thread. the only wind that factors into the chili equation has nothing to do with temperature that i know of.

warraghiyagey
04-06-2008, 21:46
You're JAKs new hero.:D

woodsy
04-06-2008, 21:49
Yeah, JAK knows all about wind too :D

Lone Wolf
04-06-2008, 21:54
http://www.staggchili.com/default.asp?req=varieties/

sofaking
04-06-2008, 21:54
you guys are trying to be mean, huh?..i'm gonna take my toys and go home.

woodsy
04-06-2008, 21:57
you guys are trying to be mean, huh?..i'm gonna take my toys and go home.
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

sofaking
04-06-2008, 22:07
just messin'

saimyoji
04-06-2008, 22:37
just messin'

'specially after some really hot chili

sofaking
04-06-2008, 22:41
'specially after some really hot chili
:rolleyes: rimshot!

Wilson
04-06-2008, 22:45
When you have too add liquid to the chili, use Coca cola.
I know, I thought the guy was crazy too, but it was good.

saimyoji
04-06-2008, 22:46
bubbly or flat coke?

Wilson
04-06-2008, 22:49
It was bubbly, straight out of the can...I don't know if it makes a diff.

Wilson
04-06-2008, 22:51
It was bubbly, straight out of the can...I don't know if it makes a diff.

While it's still cookin.

chili36
04-08-2008, 18:58
I have tried several times to develop a chili recipe for the trail. No luck. Closest I have been able to get has been using the Wick Fowler's spices (mix them all together, then divide into thirds for three batches). I used packet ketchup for the tomato product and used dehydrated ground beef (and I wasn't enthused with it either).

Second best was using a half a packet of the Bear Creek Chili mix with some tomato powder (check Pendreys.com) and a foil pouch of chicken.

Having cooked in the International Chili Championship for several years (chili.org) I am pretty particular about my chili.

Thoughtful Owl
04-09-2008, 12:03
I LOVE good chili - can't cook it, my wife can, and anytime I get into it I become public enemy #1 on a hike. :p

Quote from Stinker not Tinker! lol:D

envirodiver
04-09-2008, 12:10
I make chili at home then dehydrate it. Add water and it is just as good as it started.

I use coffee in my chili instead of water...don't tell anyone though cause it's my secret ingredient. I know I can trust you folks.

Cherokee Bill
04-09-2008, 18:46
:-? Any O yall got a chilli recipe that could be used in Freezer Bag cooking :rolleyes:

envirodiver
04-10-2008, 15:40
:-? Any O yall got a chilli recipe that could be used in Freezer Bag cooking :rolleyes:

Mine is used in freezer bag. I dehydrate fresh chili at home, put in freezer bag. Add hot water to the bag on the trail and put in cozy for 10-15 min then eat.

Cherokee Bill
04-10-2008, 15:51
Mine is used in freezer bag. I dehydrate fresh chili at home, put in freezer bag. Add hot water to the bag on the trail and put in cozy for 10-15 min then eat.

:eek: What! Don't want to have to buy a dehydrater or go thru dehydration :(

Looking for a chili mix using dry-stuff off the shelf. I do have a 1-lb can of store-bought hamberger to start :D Freezerbag cooking & no mess at camp (except the freezer-bag to pack out. No washing pots ;)

RollingStone
04-10-2008, 16:19
This is part of an article from my website. Thought I would share the base I use as chili for the trail. We mainly like to make Chili Mac from it using whole wheat pasta. It is one of our favorite recipes.

One of our favorite freeze dried meals from Backpackers Pantry was the "Chili mac w/ Beef" - Current retail price on a portion that supposedly serves two is around $6.50. The truth is, it serves one. It's good, but its all the stinking sodium that tricks your mind into thinking its good. So, how would you like to make your own chili mac, or even just chili for trail use? What do you think the cost will be? Well what I am going to do is give you my personal recipe that I make at home. It's a very large batch so you may want to cut it in half. However, my recipe will give us several meals PLUS - 16 quart sized freezerbag meals. That's right. 16! On to the recipe....

3 pounds of lean ground beef, or ground venison (we use venison we hunt ourselves, too many bad things in beef these days)
1 - #10 Can of Bush's Chili Beans (mild sauce) - Can usually find these at Wal-Mart
2 Large Sweet Onions, chopped - Yellow sweet works better
2 - 46 Ounce cans of Tomato juice
1/2 Tomato juice can of water (optional - we generally do not add water to ours)
Ground Cumin
Dark chili Powder
Garlic Powder
Mortons Lime salt
Sugar This really is the easiest base chili recipe to start from. Brown your meat with HALF of one onion. Add a light coat of chili powder, an even lighter coat of cumin and some Lime Salt (not a lot). You can omit the salt if you want. It wont make that much of a difference.

In a large stock pot, combine your beans, tomato sauce and optional water. Start it on low heat for a small simmer.

When your beef has finished browning, it is important to remove all of the excess water (if using Venison you wont have this problem) and remove as much of the fat as you can from the pan. DO NOT GIVE YOUR BEEF A HOT WATER RINSE! You want the beef to retain a small amount of fat as that helps drive the flavor of the chili. Add in your beef and the rest of the onion to the stock pot. Cover and let LIGHTLY simmer for 90 minutes while giving it a stir once in awhile.
At this point, give the chili a taste. If you want a little stronger, add more chili powder and cumin. Additionally, add about a 1/2 to one cup of sugar to help kill some of the acidity (your stomach will thank you on the trail). (Reader Submitted Tip: Alternatively you can use baking soda to cut the acid of the tomatoes as opposed to Sugar)
Again, most spicy foods will come back twice as strong when rehydrated so go easy on the spices. Your goal here is to make a tasty meal and trust me, it will taste good on the trail. Once you have added your additional spices, simmer another 90 minutes. Test again. if it needs a little more, add it and simmer another 30 minutes. You should be done cooking within 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

Ok, here's the secret. Set this pot on the counter, covered, for several hours to cool down. Once it has cooled most of the way, refrigerate for no less than 24 hours. After your 24 hours are up, get the dehydrator out and on parchment paper, or fruit roll trays, you are going to gently spread 5 ladle fulls (standard soup ladle) on the trays. Make sure it flows evenly around the tray.
Turn the dehydrator on to 145 degrees. At two hours in, rotate your trays even though your manufacturer says you don't have to. At 4-5 hours in, you should be able to see some pliability in the chili. At that point, you want to turn the chili over on the tray. if it is still pretty wet, let it dry a little longer. By about 6-8 hours in your chili should be dried and crunchy on both sides. Pull trays and let sit on the counter until cooled. Your ratio for putting in the freezerbags will be one half tray to one quart freezerbag.
As for Macaroni, you can add about a half cup of precooked and dried macaroni to the chili. In camp, you'll cover with boiling water, put in a bag cozy and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. Open the bag and prepare to have your mouth water.
Of course you can add other things to this chili as you please. Generally I enjoy diced tomatoes and green chilies in my chili. But on the trail there are many of us who suffer from acid stomach more than at home. So for us I have omitted those kinds of things. Sugar cuts down on the acidity of tomatoes. Another good way to make the chili tasty is with BBQ sauce and sugar. Adds a whole nother dimension :)
For the final cost........

3 pounds of burger (if I were to buy it) - 85% lean at Costco - $2.59 a pound = $7.77
Onions - .69 cents a pound - roughly 2 pounds of onions = $1.38
Tomato Juice - WalMart house brand - $1.12 a can = $2.24
Water - Free
Garlic Powder, Chili Powder, and Ground Cumin - All purchased in 14 ounce bulk containers, about 6 bucks each? So I guess every use probably costs me 15 cents per batch - so total is .45 cents for spices
Sugar? - 25 cents for a 1/2 cup?
Ziplock Quart Freezerbags - I buy these at Costco - 216 bags for $8.00 - Equals about 4 cents a bag
Bulk Macaroni --- cannot remember the pricing but I know it is dirt cheap. I'll guess to say about 10 cents a freezerbag. Soooo... when you look at the basic ingredient and packaging costs our homemade Chili Mac runs us --- $1.20 a bag ----- And you pay how much for Freeze Dried? :)
Now I am certain some will say, yeah but you have electricity or gas costs.... Well true you do. A 500 watt dehydrator running at full blast will consume on average in most markets about 5 cents per hour. Lower the temperature, the less consumption.