PDA

View Full Version : Leg Chafing

austinlowes17
04-06-2008, 21:29
Is there anything I can do about leg chafing?

Lone Wolf
04-06-2008, 21:30
lose weight?

Blissful
04-06-2008, 21:31
Body glide.

sofaking
04-06-2008, 21:32
i took a newb on an overnight to tinker cliffs years ago, and he was worried about chafing. we were loading up at the mac caffee trail head and he pulls out a jar of vaseline and announces 'it's time to slather the boys!'...
i didn't know quite what to make of it. but he had his own tent, so it was all good.

Tinker
04-06-2008, 21:33
I'll second body glide, and don't use cotton underwear, or maybe not ANY. Some folks find relief wearing "compression shorts" like I wear for cycling, but without the chamois liner. Seems hot to me.

Losing weight is possibly one way to minimize it, but castration would probably end all problems. :p

austinlowes17
04-06-2008, 21:50
"lose weight"

I'm not fat at all. I wrestled for 8 years, and I have really muscular thighs because of it.

Lone Wolf
04-06-2008, 21:52
"lose weight"

I'm not fat at all. I wrestled for 8 years, and I have really muscular thighs because of it.

sorry. i was just being a smart-ass. i don't have an answer. body glide is good though

sofaking
04-06-2008, 21:52
"lose weight"

compression shorts and gold bond. and try not to burn up the trail with your muscular piston driving get- a- long sticks...:clap

Tinker
04-06-2008, 21:55
Allow those thighs of steel to atrophy and they won't chafe any more. :)

From my end, the "weight" thing was in jest, as was the castration and the above comment.
Bodyglide - lots and lots of it (before chafing). It works.

Lone Wolf
04-06-2008, 21:56
http://www.drugstore.com/templates/brand/default.asp?brand=32602&aid=336064&aparam=body_glide

austinlowes17
04-06-2008, 22:04
Thanks.

Wags
04-06-2008, 22:07
what kind of pants/shorts are you wearing when this happens?

austinlowes17
04-06-2008, 22:09
Northface Paramount Zip Offs

bigcranky
04-06-2008, 22:13
Compression shorts under your hiking shorts or pants. Golite makes a good pair. Body Glide also works.

As noted above, never wear cotton underwear. (Learned that lesson the hard way.)

orangebug
04-06-2008, 22:49
Body glide or similar to prevent.

Compression boxers once it happens.

This is one thing that duct tape can't help.

sofaking
04-06-2008, 22:58
Body glide or similar to prevent.

Compression boxers once it happens.

This is one thing that duct tape can't help.
mmm.... well, maybe if you put it on before...:-?

PJ 2005
04-06-2008, 23:17
Body glide is too heavy to justify its usefulness. You're probably going to be wearing underwear anyway, so just get some athletic boxer-briefs (underarmor or similar) and you'll be fine.

Lone Wolf
04-06-2008, 23:21
Body glide is too heavy to justify its usefulness. You're probably going to be wearing underwear anyway, so just get some athletic boxer-briefs (underarmor or similar) and you'll be fine.

BS :rolleyes:....

ChinMusic
04-06-2008, 23:29
Buy some of these and the problem is history. Body glide works but must be reapplied. These boxers solve the problem.

http://www.rei.com/product/739771

They are kinda expensive for "just underwear" but they are WELL worth it.

http://media.rei.com/media/792460.jpg

Gaiter
04-06-2008, 23:40
another vote for body glide

Lyle
04-07-2008, 00:15
Not knocking the suggestion of Body Glide or compression shorts, I've heard they work well.

For me, however, on the occasions when chafing has been a problem, frequent washing and rinsing (2 or 3 times during the day - and definitely each evening) and liberal applications of Gold Bond solved the problem quickly.

Tennessee Viking
04-07-2008, 00:32
Loose boxers
Loose shorts/pants

tomsawyer222
04-07-2008, 06:15
If you wear jogging shorts the type that are real short they manage to keep your legs from rubbing..

orangebug
04-07-2008, 07:01
mmm.... well, maybe if you put it on before...:-?Well, for guys there is a downside to compression shorts, regardless of brand (I like UnderArmor). I have used diaper creme as my version of body glide, and it has worked quite well. Before I learned about using a creme, I almost had a section hike ended. Walking spread legged doesn't make for very good mileage.

An outfitter in Franklin diagnosed the problem as I walked in (the one near the bypass, across from the Winn Dixie) and took very good care of me. Hike saved.

mrc237
04-07-2008, 07:12
Ask any bartender, waiter, people that walk alot for their job and most will tell you CORN STARCH prevents and dries any chafing quickly and keeps it that way. I always have a small pouch of it in my pack light and inexpensive. Just don't get it confused with pancake mix:). (Another story)

Toolshed
04-07-2008, 07:19
I now wear nothing but REI underwear (http://www.rei.com/product/746694?vcat=REI_SEARCH)... :D:D:D OH Wait - Wrong Link....TRY HERE!!!! (http://www.rei.com/product/722396?vcat=REI_SEARCH)
Seriously, I started wearing the REI men's boxer along with Body Glide and have cut down any problems tremendously. If I do end up with a painful problem (usually in long hot dry summer days) I carry a small tube of Beaudreaux's butt paste (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=152557&catid=26108&brand=7475&trx=PLST) to stop the pain. Beaudreaux doesn't smell all cod-oil-fishy like Desitin does (I need no raccoons sniffing my butt.)

zoidfu
04-07-2008, 07:27
Walmart Armour has some nice compression shorts that were 10 or 11 bucks.

mudhead
04-07-2008, 07:41
FYI. Under Armour boxer jocks are not like a jock. They have more of a pouch cut, and run a tad smaller than Under Armour boxer briefs.

Expensive. Might buy one to try to make sure none of the seams line up in a bad spot.

bigmac_in
04-07-2008, 10:12
It's funny - but this stuff actually works.

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/images/_home/home_01.jpg (http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/index.html)

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/index.html

sherrill
04-07-2008, 10:41
I too have muscular legs from football weightlifting and I have a problem with chafing when I hike.

I use Vaseline (small amount as possible) and my personal preference is compression shorts made by New Balance (for runners, which I am as well).

I also try to use Gold Bond powder and wipes at the [U]first[U] sign of chafing.

Lots of good suggestions here, some of which I'm going to try myself. I think it's (unfortunately) a matter of experiencing which works best for you, which sometimes leads to a Monty Python funny walk! :D

Bob S
04-07-2008, 11:08
What works for me is Avon’s Vita Moist hand cream with Aloe. I only need to apply it once a day to have it work all day.

Captn
04-07-2008, 12:06
The problem with Petroleum jelly is that it blocks your pores as well, and can/will result in infected hair follicles. If you haven't experienced this in a normal chaffing area .... well ..... you just haven't lived!

It works well for monkey butt, however.

Body glide can do the same thing during the long term.

Hydropel is a bit different in that it has an anti sweat agent in the mix.

I use the compression shorts myself.

sly dog
04-07-2008, 12:17
Just do what I do, walk on your hands!:p

ThrashHammer
04-07-2008, 12:23
Vaseline is the best answer. I've worn it for roofing, playing softball all week in July, with compression shorts that didn't help. Mine were old and wore out though. Vaseline is great, put it on before it gets to the point of chafing. Just assume that it will happen if you're walking all day. It could be a great "going away" activity for your girlfriend. She'll have something to remember you by.

Wags
04-07-2008, 13:10
i'd suggest ditching the hiking pants and trying some track pants (nylon or poly running pants)...

LIhikers
04-07-2008, 14:29
Something else that no one has mentioned yet. Periodically rinse down your thighs, or whereever you're chaffing, to get the built up salt and sweet off.

sofaking
04-07-2008, 14:31
Something else that no one has mentioned yet. Periodically rinse down your thighs, or whereever you're chaffing, to get the built up salt and sweet off.
i think he's telling you to pee in your pants to rinse off sweet and salty bar snacks?:eek:

tlbj6142
04-07-2008, 14:49
Going without underwear did not work for me, in fact "top of the thigh" chafing seemed to happen sooner.

Body Glide works, but after a few days on the trail, that area can get downright funky. Sometimes I think Body Glide is the same as that "red stuff" in petri dishes without the red dye.

Compression shorts worked for me; however, it introduced another problem. Butt cheek chafing, as they tend to squeeze your butt checks together. Not sure what is worst. Both suck.

For the past 3-4 trips, I have used a pair of semi-loose boxer briefs (smartwool) and that seems to have solved all of my issues. Prevents "top of the thigh" chafing as well as not causing "butt cheek" chafing.

Really you have to find what works for your body. Good luck!

Blissful
04-07-2008, 14:50
I know Paul Bunyan and others we talked to went commando for a while til the weight came off and then he wore Ex Officio under the convertible pants. My hubby likes his kilt.

Ramble~On
04-07-2008, 15:10
I now wear nothing but REI underwear (http://www.rei.com/product/746694?vcat=REI_SEARCH)... :D:D:D OH Wait - Wrong Link....TRY HERE!!!! (http://www.rei.com/product/722396?vcat=REI_SEARCH)
Seriously, I started wearing the REI men's boxer along with Body Glide and have cut down any problems tremendously. If I do end up with a painful problem (usually in long hot dry summer days) I carry a small tube of Beaudreaux's butt paste (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=152557&catid=26108&brand=7475&trx=PLST)to stop the pain. Beaudreaux doesn't smell all cod-oil-fishy like Desitin does (I need no raccoons sniffing my butt.)

Exactly! REI boxers work! I imagine Patagagonia, Mountain Hardware or any other non cotton hiking specific boxers would do as well.
The only item made of cotton that is worth a damn is the trusty, multi-use bandana...although if you live in Arizona cotton is a great fiber "because" it's hydrophilic. Cotton underwear hold sweat.
Chaffing is largely caused by the salt crystals in your sweat accumilating in an area of friction (thighs) and rubbing you like sand paper.
I have suffered from chaffing and vowed then that I would never suffer like that again.
I wear REI boxers, and carry a smal tube of Beaudreaux's Butt Paste and a small thing of medicated Gold Bond powder ( both contain zinc oxide )
I live in the south and the heat and humidity make chaffing a real PITA:D.
I started carrying "Nice & Clean" individual antibacterial wipes and use them for cleaning my hands and they're nice to wipe the funk off when it's hot..another use is to keep the nether regions free of built up sweat salts.
They're pretty lightweight and it's nice to atleast feel clean.
Anyway...I haven't suffered again from chaffing.

Bob S
04-07-2008, 15:26
Body Glide works, but after a few days on the trail, that area can get downright funky. Sometimes I think Body Glide is the same as that "red stuff" in petri dishes without the red dye.

This is nature’s way of telling us to wash ourselves. :eek: It’s easy to do, even on the trail.
A squirt bottle of water and some soap is all one needs.

As Nike says. Just do it.

Captn
04-07-2008, 17:26
This is nature’s way of telling us to wash ourselves. :eek: It’s easy to do, even on the trail.
A squirt bottle of water and some soap is all one needs.

As Nike says. Just do it.

You can use one of the extra fine push/pull caps for your platy and do wonders with what's left of your water just before a water source.

One other thing .... you can carry an extra chapstick, the medicated one I believe ..... it works wonders as well.

Jim Adams
04-07-2008, 17:53
body glide worked for me but is messy.
normally I never wear underwear anyway but decided to try Patagonia briefs from REI on the PCT, they are expensive and...they lasted 8 days! replaced them with body armor briefs and they are still going strong.
I use a kilt on the AT.
wash off the salt and sweat often.
All of the above works for me every time.

geek

Skidsteer
04-07-2008, 19:27
Try going without underwear.

Works for me and I'm a wrestler with muscular thighs. :D

orangebug
04-07-2008, 19:40
I had a pair of Patagucci's that were sewn with a single filament nylon thread. Something about it cut like a knife and made the chafing far worse. It is worth the time/money to check out the construction before plopping down the cash. Never had a problem with Doubleknits and UnderArmor

FeO2
04-07-2008, 20:46
Dump the skivies!
"FreeBall" is the only way to go!
Let 'em hang and find there natural swing!
If your good, you can get 'em into synch with your pace.

:banana
Everybody now.....

Do your twins hang low, can you swing 'em to and fro,
can you tie 'em in a knot, can you tie 'em in a bow,
can you throw 'em over your shoulder like a continental soldier,
do your twins hang low....
:banana

hmmm... too much info?

Summit
04-07-2008, 21:27
This thread has got to win the prize for the most mis-information I've seen on WB. Apparently, many of the commenters have never had this particular type of chaffing, and/or their anatomy doesn't cause it to any significant degree. That is the only logical explanation for those suggesting going without underwear or using boxers. That absolutely is the worst thing one with this problem could do. Washing at every stream? That's just plain inconvenient and I doubt it will work in the long run. Lose weight? Has nothing to do with crotch chaffing. I'm not overweight at all and used to get it real bad.

I haven't tried Gold Bond or Butt Paste - they may do the job also, but what has worked flawlessly for me, someone who was about ready to give up backpacking because chaffing was so bad, is:

PREVENTION - Spandex or other compression underwear - must be long like the pair pictured earlier in the thread. I wear them underneath shorts or long pants - summer and winter.

Cure - Once chaffing has occurred, Body Glide is absolutely phenomenal at healing the damage. Too heavy to consider (someone said)? If .45 oz. is too heavy to carry, you haven't ever had crotch chaffing bad.

http://www.rei.com/product/745878

I haven't had to actually use the .45 oz. Body Glide I carry in a long time, since I started wearing the spandex shorts. But I carry it just in case! ;)

Skidsteer
04-07-2008, 21:32
Apparently, many of the commenters have never had this particular type of chaffing, and/or their anatomy doesn't cause it to any significant degree. That is the only logical explanation for those suggesting going without underwear or using boxers. That absolutely is the worst thing one with this problem could do.

Have you tried it?

take-a-knee
04-07-2008, 21:35
Buy some of these and the problem is history. Body glide works but must be reapplied. These boxers solve the problem.

http://www.rei.com/product/739771

They are kinda expensive for "just underwear" but they are WELL worth it.

http://media.rei.com/media/792460.jpg

These things ROCK! Some people who hit the iron and deadlift and squat are gonna build some thighs, and I think some folks are just built that way anyway. I used to weigh 150# and have 11-12% body fat and I got chaffed then. It is the old "ounce of prevention" thing. Better to not get chaffed in the first place.

sofaking
04-07-2008, 21:37
:eek:someone posted pics of their chafing!:eek::eek: i am glad i missed that post.

take-a-knee
04-07-2008, 21:38
I didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if anyone mentioned washing your drawers. After a couple of days of sweating a lot of salt will build up, once you chafe, you'll be literally rubbing salt into a wound. Keep 'em rinsed out.

Summit
04-07-2008, 21:51
Have you tried it?Duh, yes. Worse chaffing than with briefs.

Skidsteer
04-07-2008, 21:57
Duh, yes. Worse chaffing than with briefs.

Fair enough.

Just checking 'cause it sure did the trick for me.

Summit
04-07-2008, 22:05
There are probably a number of factors at work here . . . size of testicles, hang, size of thighs, gap (or lack of) between thighs, texture/toughness of one's skin. I'm sure our lady friend hikers are enjoying the heck out of this thread! :eek: Although inner thigh chaffing is not limited to the male species. ;)

Wise Old Owl
04-07-2008, 22:11
compression shorts and gold bond. and try not to burn up the trail with your muscular piston driving get- a- long sticks...:clap

Folks we have a winner! correct answer ! He wins the Cookie!http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/hottietrophy.jpg

I just saw the post above me... Hang??? Whhhooooo?

orangebug
04-07-2008, 22:14
Our lady friends get this also.

The problem is friction against skin. Presence or absence of specific forms of external genitalia isn't all that important. What is important is the specific area on the specific person that gets rubbed the wrong way.

The examples noted above all deal with friction in their own strategy - reducing clothing via commando, removing rubbing with spandex, removing friction with lubricants like Body Glide or other choice. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bag Balm or Udder Creme. For me Bag Balm works but Udder Creme is a waste of weight.

I've helped a young lady with this problem near Standing Indian. She had planned to go into town for treatment of "poison ivy". Her gait and description made the diagnosis without a direct exam. She was very grateful for the diaper creme I carried back then.

Wise Old Owl
04-07-2008, 22:20
Ask any bartender, waiter, people that walk alot for their job and most will tell you CORN STARCH prevents and dries any chafing quickly and keeps it that way. I always have a small pouch of it in my pack light and inexpensive. Just don't get it confused with pancake mix:). (Another story)

Oh can we add that moment in history to the Humor Section? Inquiring minds Do Tell!-- You suddenly found my funny bone!

sofaking
04-07-2008, 22:22
dude! i won... oh wow, i mean ,phwew! i just would like to say thank you to everyone at........

Wise Old Owl
04-07-2008, 22:24
Our lady friends get this also.

The problem is friction against skin. Presence or absence of specific forms of external genitalia isn't all that important. What is important is the specific area on the specific person that gets rubbed the wrong way.

The examples noted above all deal with friction in their own strategy - reducing clothing via commando, removing rubbing with spandex, removing friction with lubricants like Body Glide or other choice. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bag Balm or Udder Creme. For me Bag Balm works but Udder Creme is a waste of weight.

I've helped a young lady with this problem near Standing Indian. She had planned to go into town for treatment of "poison ivy". Her gait and description made the diagnosis without a direct exam. She was very grateful for the diaper creme I carried back then.

Your diaper creme is also known as Zinc Oxide creme. - Udder Cream? oh boy I can see a admin kikin this thead to the wind....

orangebug
04-07-2008, 22:32
Bag Balm and Udder Creme are vetinary products for those who milk cows. The name appeals to adolescents and city folks alike.

Bag Balm is more akin to petroleum jelly and seems to be s/w antibiotic. Udder Creme is more of a nice hand moisturizer, sort of a Nozema lotion. Bag Balm comes in several sizes in metal canisters, the smallest about a cubic inch. It can and does leak when hot.

You will find them in pharmacies and places that sell manicure supplies.

For a fun read, try WWW.BAGBALM.COM (http://www.bagbalm.com)

sofaking
04-07-2008, 22:42
well, maybe if i got to know you a little better...

warraghiyagey
04-07-2008, 22:57
It hurts my beaver. He always complains about leg chafing.

tlbj6142
04-07-2008, 23:49
That is the only logical explanation for those suggesting going without underwear or using boxers. That absolutely is the worst thing one with this problem could do. That's because we are talking about 2-4 different (but very close) regions that can have chafing. It can occur from your where your thighs rub, in the folds behind your scrotum and along the sides of your scrotum. 3 different locations each can have different solutions.

I get the first 2 from time to time and compression shorts help (as does Body Glide), my brother gets the last type, and going without underwear and a bit of boby glide seems to help him.

Plus there is the 4th area where you get chafing, that would be between your butt cheeks. This doesn't happen from poor hygine (though that may make it worst), but from sweat and friction of your butt cheeks rubbing together. Compression shorts are the worst thing to wear to prevent this type of chafing. In fact, from my experience, compression shorts can actually lead to butt cheek chafing.

I often find it odd that chafing isn't as much of an issue for me on long metro park like trails, but is on narrow trails. I think the fact that your normal gate is affected when you have to hike like a fashion model on a runway has a lot to do with it.

NorthCountryWoods
04-08-2008, 09:41
I often find it odd that chafing isn't as much of an issue for me on long metro park like trails, but is on narrow trails. I think the fact that your normal gate is affected when you have to hike like a fashion model on a runway has a lot to do with it.

Interesting. Could it be the grade as well? Lifting your leg higher may be causing more friction?

Chaffing is another reason for stealth camping.....you can keep the nethers clean and allowing time to air dry at camp. :cool:

take-a-knee
04-08-2008, 10:01
That's because we are talking about 2-4 different (but very close) regions that can have chafing. It can occur from your where your thighs rub, in the folds behind your scrotum and along the sides of your scrotum. 3 different locations each can have different solutions.

I get the first 2 from time to time and compression shorts help (as does Body Glide), my brother gets the last type, and going without underwear and a bit of boby glide seems to help him.

Plus there is the 4th area where you get chafing, that would be between your butt cheeks. This doesn't happen from poor hygine (though that may make it worst), but from sweat and friction of your butt cheeks rubbing together. Compression shorts are the worst thing to wear to prevent this type of chafing. In fact, from my experience, compression shorts can actually lead to butt cheek chafing.

Interesting points, having only had a problem with my inner thighs rubbing together the Underarmor boxer briefs solve all chaffing problems for me.

mudhead
04-08-2008, 10:12
And there's the rub.

I think it varies by gait and body type.

Bag Balm rules. Some people don't like the smell. They buy the fancy stuff.

tlbj6142
04-08-2008, 10:48
Interesting. Could it be the grade as well? Lifting your leg higher may be causing more friction?Could be. Hadn't thought about the grade issue. Regardless, backcountry trail hiking does affect your normal ("city") gate, so folks that may not have chaffing issues around town (running, sports, etc.), my find it becomes an issue on the trail.
Chaffing is another reason for stealth camping.....you can keep the nethers clean and allowing time to air dry at camp. :cool:Sometimes I do that when I use my hammock (as a chair), it would probably surprise someone if they stumbled across my camp when I'm in that pose.:eek:

Symbol
04-08-2008, 13:26
UnderArmor

Hydrocortizone cream or ointment

sherrill
04-08-2008, 14:00
One of the things that I had found (personally) before I started using the New Balance compression shorts is that the hip belt of my pack pushed my hiking pants/shorts down to where the seam would rub against my thighs in addition to them rubbing against each other. The compression shorts helped with that.

I second the idea of rinsing them out if possible, please don't do it upstream...:D

Again, I really think that to combat chafing, you have to try different solutions until you find what works best for you.

envirodiver
04-08-2008, 14:02
Inner thigh to thigh friction is my chafing type. For those that say don't worry about it they obviously have never had the problem. I started wearing the compression shorts several years ago and they help. Sometimes that's all that I need. When I feel a hot spot developing I immediately apply some petroleum jelly and bad problems do not develop. I have heard (but not tried) that KY jelly works well. The problem with petroleum jelly is that everything gets so greasy (pants and/or underwear I mean). I'll give the body glide a try.

sofaking
04-08-2008, 14:04
Inner thigh to thigh friction is my chafing type. For those that say don't worry about it they obviously have never had the problem. I started wearing the compression shorts several years ago and they help. Sometimes that's all that I need. When I feel a hot spot developing I immediately apply some petroleum jelly and bad problems do not develop. I have heard (but not tried) that KY jelly works well. The problem with petroleum jelly is that everything gets so greasy (pants and/or underwear I mean). I'll give the body glide a try.
kentucky jelly? what part of the trail goes through kentucky. that's just crazy talk...

Ashman
04-08-2008, 14:12
kentucky jelly? what part of the trail goes through kentucky. that's just crazy talk...

No silly you see when two people love each other very much and one needs some help giving the other a "special hug" they will sometimes use KY jelly..... oh nevermind why don't you just go hike some more.

envirodiver
04-08-2008, 14:38

You my friend are sofaking funny.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

envirodiver
04-08-2008, 14:47
Yeah, yeah I know. That's one reason for not trying the KY Jelly.

It is less greasy because it's water soluble. However, breaking out a big tube of KY around a campsite, might make some folks a bit jumpy. So maybe Body Glide would be a better choice.

sofaking
04-08-2008, 14:50
i wish my tent would hurry up and be delivered, i want to go outside and play...my eyes have become bloodshot and my fingers are bleeding from spending so much time here these past few days...kentucky jelly and pb2 sammich? one to rehydrate the other...hmm:-?

Ramble~On
04-08-2008, 15:33
Alright... Here's another option...this stuff works for manly pursuits like chainsaw juggling so it has to be good...they even recommend it for hiking.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=172067&aid=336064&aparam=monkey_butt_powder

http://www.drugstore.com/popups/largerphoto/default.asp?pid=172067&catid=9353&size=300&trx=29888&trxp1=172067&trxp2=1 <---Larger image

Have a nice day:sun

Ramble~On
04-08-2008, 15:37
Yeah, yeah I know. That's one reason for not trying the KY Jelly.

It is less greasy because it's water soluble. However, breaking out a big tube of KY around a campsite, might make some folks a bit jumpy. So maybe Body Glide would be a better choice.

:eek: Banjos! For a minute there I thought I heard banjos...

Blissful
04-08-2008, 15:48
Going commando worked for Paul Bunyan very well. But once he lost weight in his thighs and back end, he could wear the ex officio underwear we had gotten him. Same with my hubby who has a bad problem with chafing in any underwear but he went with a kilt and likes it very much.

And no, it not only affects men. I had my brush with it too early on in the hike wearing tights, but went to a looser fitting convertible pant at Neels Gap and did fine.

mudhead
04-08-2008, 16:07
KY sweats off. Works for awhile.

envirodiver
04-08-2008, 16:10
KY sweats off. Works for awhile.

Wondered about that, because of the fact that it is water soluble.

mudhead
04-08-2008, 16:12
Your wonder is comfirmed. It does work for awhile.

Summit
04-08-2008, 17:00
Going commando worked for Paul Bunyan very well. But once he lost weight in his thighs and back end, he could wear the ex officio underwear we had gotten him. Same with my hubby who has a bad problem with chafing in any underwear but he went with a kilt and likes it very much.

And no, it not only affects men. I had my brush with it too early on in the hike wearing tights, but went to a looser fitting convertible pant at Neels Gap and did fine.Hmmm, to kilt or to Body Glide . . . I think I'll Body Glide! (and I'm Scotch/Irish even :D ).

In experimenting with other powders, they are a pain to get to adhere to where you want, whether the inner thighs, under the scrotum, or butt. Body Glide, which applies like a deodorant stick, works very well and easy. You don't have to get your fingers all greasy, powdery, messy, let alone have to stick them where you'd rather not! :eek: It's healing is phenomenal. I've been bleeding raw and applied Body Glide at the end of the day in camp and again before going to sleep and the next morning could hardly see any signs of chaffing at all. At .45 oz. for the smaller stick, you won't find a lighter per application anywhere. It's not greasy like jellies. Try it and you'll likely abandon other solutions (which may very well work).

Summit
04-08-2008, 17:02
BTW, my local REI can hardly keep the product on the shelf. I believe it's exceptionally beloved by the biking crowd.

sofaking
04-08-2008, 17:33
the stick application of body glide sounds like the best feature of any of these remedies...i'm going to try it. only took 5 pages of discussion to glean this little nugget, ha!

Summit
04-09-2008, 23:06
Here's the solution to chaffing for backpackers:

http://www.campman.com/images/SINGING%20ROCK%20ECHO.jpg
:D :p

Captn
04-10-2008, 12:35
the stick application of body glide sounds like the best feature of any of these remedies...i'm going to try it. only took 5 pages of discussion to glean this little nugget, ha!

Chap stick will work in a pinch .... just don't use it on your lips after that!

mudhead
04-10-2008, 12:42
Or gouge a hunk of chapstick off with the cap, and apply with finger. If you are trying to avoid...

Easier to apply with the tube, if you can...

Sounds gross, but it works in a pinch.

sherrill
04-10-2008, 12:54
I've used Body Glide before and it works well, but it's expensive and gets hard to apply when the stick gets to the bottom. By that time you're using your fingers to apply anyway...

hopefulhiker
04-10-2008, 13:38
GOLD BOND, the gold bottle!

nyushka42
04-10-2008, 13:45
I'd never thought how much more chaffing guys have to deal with...
For women though, I found applying Body Glide in the mornings & washing off with wet wipes at night worked quite well, and I was pretty dang heavy 2 years ago so there was lots of possibilities for chaffing. Also found that not shaving my legs helped a bit.

High Altitude
04-12-2008, 01:41
I am definitely going to give bodyglide a try.

Whats weird is that I always experience chaff the very first day. Apply some vaseline ONCE and the chaff never comes back. Even days later and I like to wash my bod everyday/clean my socks and shorts that I alternate daily.

I don't get it but I am not complaining.

tina.anderson
04-15-2008, 11:34
Bodyglide looks pretty good. I will suggest it to one of my friends I hike with that complains about leg chafing. I have never experienced it myself.

mrc237
04-17-2008, 08:01
http://clothing.search.ebay.com/under-armour-boxer-briefs_Clothing-Shoes-Accessories_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQsacatZ11450

Locutus
04-23-2008, 16:48
I also have a problem with chaffing, I chafe after about 6-7 miles. So before my day hike last weekend, I stopped by Walmart and picked up some Jockey Life Lycra Euro Style shorts, they were $4.96, buy one, get one free. I did about 10 miles Saturday, not a bit of chafing, but it took a little while to get used to the "snugness" on the boys.

orangebug
04-23-2008, 20:39
How much does it weigh?

mudhead
04-23-2008, 20:42
Try those at home first. I deem them boymashers. (I have too much buttchub I think.)

tlbj6142
06-16-2008, 09:41
That's because we are talking about 2-4 different (but very close) regions that can have chafing. It can occur from your where your thighs rub, in the folds behind your scrotum and along the sides of your scrotum. 3 different locations each can have different solutions.I need to add one more to this list....

On a recent (returned yesterday) hike in Allegheny National Forest on the NCT in stupid humid and raining conditions, I got chafing on the front/inner sides of my tights about 2-3" below the tops of the thighs from the seams of my underwear and/or hiking shorts. It was (is) really bad. I actually have some scabbing from the rubbing. This happened on the 2nd day (first full day) of a 4 day trip. I was either dripping from sweat or dripping from rain the entire day. The 3rd day (same weather) I wore my UL man-tights instead of my underwear (smartwool boxer briefs). That seemed to help for most of the day, but the last hour or so (after a hard down pour) I could feel it coming back. The 5-mile 4th day was a bit rough, but knowing a cold can of Dr. Pepper was waiting for me the car got me through the pain/discomfort.

At this point, I'm not sure what the solution is for this type of chafing? No underwear and pants? I know the conditions (hot humid and rainy) played a large role in this scenario. I don't normally backpack when it gets that bad (I'm a fall/winter/spring backpacker). I'm not sure body glide would have helped since it was the wet (saltly??) seams that caused the issue, not skin-on-skin rubbing. I have used this underwear on several other trips (including a long trip in Oly NP) without issue. But never with this much sweat/rain. Even today, at work, wearing compression shorts under my street shorts I can feel my shorts rubbing on the area. So, I don't think compression shorts would have helped. Maybe I need different hiking pants/shorts?

MOWGLI
06-16-2008, 09:47
Body glide is too heavy to justify its usefulness.

Is 2.5 ounces too heavy? Where have all the backpackers gone?

I've had chafing, and for me, it's well worth the weight. I also wear under armor compression briefs. They help. A lot. Losing weight helps too. :o

http://www.bodyglide.com/

Wake
06-16-2008, 10:53
Is 2.5 ounces too heavy? Where have all the backpackers gone?

Ahhh, I find that very comforting. :) I was starting to feel like a freak for carrying a few extra pounds.

ChinMusic
06-16-2008, 11:08
It this point, I'm not sure what the solution is for this type of chafing? No underwear and pants? I know the conditions (hot humid and rainy) played a large role in this scenario.
I used to get it there also. Under Armor LONG boxers (make sure it is the long leg version) has totally solved my problem there. A dab of Body Glide as an added precaution wouldn't hurt.

I cannot overstated the benefit of the Under Armor long boxers. The regular boxers can bunch up a bit and still cause a problem. The long version will stay in place

cutman11
06-16-2008, 21:10
I have tried many, many different suggestions made by many, many whiteblazers. The answer is a quite simple nearly mathematical equation:

Underarmor compression boxerbriefs + Bodyglide in all the right places = NO CHAFING

Incahiker
06-16-2008, 23:29
I didn't feel like reading through all the posts, so if this has been mentioned, disregard.
Walmart sells Life boxer briefs that are as long as compression shorts. They are made out of microfiber polyester, wick sweat away, and completely prevent chafing. They only cost about $6 a pair. I also have thighs that rub together, and if I don't wear something like compression shorts, after a mile of hiking my legs will be extremely sore from rubbing together.

Mike.C
06-17-2008, 00:07
I had the same problem in college when I was on the soccer team and my legs were huge!! It didn't matter the style of shorts and underwear but I must admit I never tried biker shorts.

I used lotion in the eve too soothe and gold bond in the morn. But neither realy helped much.

Now I just run distance and my legs have shrunk quite a bit.

Locutus
06-17-2008, 14:47
I didn't feel like reading through all the posts, so if this has been mentioned, disregard.
Walmart sells Life boxer briefs that are as long as compression shorts. They are made out of microfiber polyester, wick sweat away, and completely prevent chafing. They only cost about $6 a pair. I also have thighs that rub together, and if I don't wear something like compression shorts, after a mile of hiking my legs will be extremely sore from rubbing together.

Posted on the previous page:

I also have a problem with chaffing, I chafe after about 6-7 miles. So before my day hike last weekend, I stopped by Walmart and picked up some Jockey Life Lycra Euro Style shorts, they were $4.96, buy one, get one free. I did about 10 miles Saturday, not a bit of chafing, but it took a little while to get used to the "snugness" on the boys.

:)

Incahiker
06-18-2008, 09:24
LOL, I must agree with the O.P.s statement. They do compress the boys into a tight little package, but you get used to it.......:rolleyes:. But they are very effective at wicking moisture away and keeping the area down there "cool."

Chance09
06-18-2008, 12:21
I was looking through the gear pictures and someone had a lip balm like jar of something pink that was labeled "runners salve"? any idea what that was?

Fannypack
06-18-2008, 12:59
I used some "Body Glide (http://www.bodyglide.com/)" after I got some chafing on inner upper legs and it worked great. Haven't tried it on butt cheeks or feet yet!