PDA

View Full Version : GoLite Cave 1 or 2?

BrianMitchell
01-29-2004, 19:11
In the very near future, I plan to buy a GoLite Cave and possibly Nest. My only question is which one? The Cave/Nest 1 or the Cave/Nest 2? Does anyone have experience with either of these setups? Could you compare them to any experiences you have with a 5'x7' tarp? The 5'x7' tarp is all I've got right now and I was wanting to upgrade a bit for bug protection and to have some more room. I mostly will sleep in it solo, but wouldn't mind having extra room.

MedicineMan
01-30-2004, 00:23
Have used the Cave2 and Nest2 for many hikes and paddle trips...it is a good system especially if there are 2 of you to loadshare...if single then the Cave/Nest2 are too big because as you will discover the Cave2 is actually big enough for 3 people to sleep under or 2 with all their gear....the Nest2 however is only big enough for 2 snug people (emphasizs snug)....the Nest2 entrance is interesting in that no zipper is employed and therefore no zipper to ever fail-maybe some weight savings..but you will have to almost crawl to enter the Nest....
Currently I am using the Cave2 as a fly over an HH and have plauded that arrangement to much to repeat here.
MedicineMan

BrianMitchell
01-30-2004, 00:55
Medicine Man,

You wouldn't happen to know if a Nest 2 would fit underneath a Cave 1, would you?

MedicineMan
01-30-2004, 01:01
I'm betting that a Nest2 will fit under a Cave1, might be tight but when we put the Nest2 under the Cave2 there was huge amounts of room all around the Next2 for gear or even 2 more sleepers who might have gotten splatter rain....

gforce
01-30-2004, 22:50
Just a word of caution . . . the Cave 1 or 2 has lots . . . and I mean lots of guy lines (at least 12). I've got the Cave 1 and, being 6'-2", wish it was a little longer. I purchased the GoLite Lair 2 last summer, and I am much happier with it. It's a much easier set-up, three-sided protection, and lots of room for the same weight. I have not encountered high winds while using it, but I would guess that it would not hold up in as high of winds as the Cave 1/2 would.

MedicineMan
01-30-2004, 23:54
but remember the tangle of strings can be tamed with a pair of scissors!

gforce
01-31-2004, 12:27
Ok, I forgot about two of the guy lines . . . so make that 14. :D If you want a taut pitch you need all 14 too! Oddly enough, you would think that it's a tangled mess, but with the cord that's supplied with the Cave 1/2 it's never been a problem. The cord slides apart very easily. Also, when you buy the Cave it comes without the guys attached, so you can attach only those you feel are necessary. The only problem I've found is the overnight sagging that occurs (with the Lair also). It helps to taut the tarp right before going to sleep, but it still sags overnight.

Actually the Cave and Lair both work very well, but I really like the simplicity of the Lair (only 2 guy lines). I've also heard that GoLite has some new models coming out this year too.

Footslogger
01-31-2004, 19:19
I bought the Cave I and used it in the Shenies. Set up was fast the the space underneath was more than adequate for me and my backpack. Instead of the "nest" I bought something called the "Bug Bivy" from OR and used that underneath the shelter. The bug bivy weighed around 11 ounces and the nice thing was that I could use it by itself to sleep under the stars or inside a shelter if the bugs were bad.