PDA

View Full Version : lost my ride to amicolola

will_flacid
04-07-2008, 10:35
hey guys.
so i had this great plan to have my cousin, who lives in atlanta, shuttle me to amicolola this friday, but there has been an unexpected death in her family and she will be in connecticut for the funeral this weekend.
this has thrown a considerable wrench in my plans. my bus ticket is already purchased, and i really just don't think i can wait any longer. i have placed a call to the hiker hostel to see if i can get a thru hiker special, but only got the machine so have no idea if i can get one.
so here's the kicker, would anyone be interested in offering me shuttle service from the atlanta area to amicolola this friday april 11th? i would be more than happy to compensate any involved parties, and am very flexible about time/location of pickup.
anyway, hey thanks for the help it's appreciated.

bigmac_in
04-07-2008, 10:48
From the Georgia Appalachian Trail club website -

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/directions.html

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/images/gettingheader.jpgOut-of-state hikers who come to Georgia will probably arrive in either Atlanta or Gainesville, GA. Gainesville, about 50 miles northeast of Atlanta, is the closest town to the trail served by public transportation. AMTRAK and Greyhound Bus Lines operate between Atlanta and Gainesville. The easiest and least expensive way to get from Hartsfield Atlanta airport to the bus station in downtown Atlanta, or to the Amtrak station in Midtown Atlanta is to use the Atlanta public transportation, MARTA (Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority). There are also possible car shuttles from Atlanta to the Approach trail at Amicalola Falls State Park. See below, volunteers willing to provide car transportation for hikers.
Getting from Atlanta Airport to Gainesville
By Greyhound Bus:
Atlanta Airport to Atlanta Greyhound Depot:
• Take the MARTA train from the airport to Garnett Station (S1). Go out Garnett Station, turn left to Forsyth St. The bus depot is to your right on Forsyth St.
• OR take Atlanta Airport Shuttle bus to bus depot.
• OR take taxi to bus depot.
Call Greyhound at 1-800-231-2222 to confirm the latest schedule and fare information.
By AMTRAK train:
Atlanta Airport to AMTRAK station:
• Take MARTA train to Arts Center Station (N5), transfer to MARTA bus #23 at the Arts Center Station and get off at the AMTRAK station; or walk to left uphill on 15th Street to Peachtree Street and walk one mile north (left) on Peachtree Street to AMTRAK station. The small AMTRAK station is on your left just after crossing over Interstate 85 on Peachtree Street;
• OR take Atlanta Airport Shuttle bus to AMTRAK station.
• OR take taxi from airport to AMTRAK station.
Call AMTRAK at 1-800-872-7245 to confirm the latest schedule and fare information.
Getting from Gainesville to Approach Trail
When you get to Gainesville, a taxi driver will probably be at the bus or train station and will be more than happy to take you to the trailhead for the Approach Trail at Amicalola Falls State Park. Otherwise, try these companies:
Gainesville Taxicab (770) 287-3221 and Uni Taxi (770) 297-0255.
Getting a car ride from Atlanta or Gainesville to the Approach Trail:
Several “friends of thru hikers” are willing to drive from various locations in Atlanta and Gainesville to Amicalola Falls State Park and other access points to the trail. See below volunteers willing to provide car transportation for hikers.
Driving to the Approach Trail:
From Dahlonega, Georgia (about 60 miles north of downtown Atlanta via GA Hwy. 400) take GA Hwy. 52 west approximately 20 miles to Amicalola Falls State Park. Parking is available near the visitor center. Cars should be registered with the park. There is no additional charge for parking a car there for an extended hike, but there is a small entrance charge to the Park.
Point-to-point taxi or car rides:
Due to legality and liability, there is no official volunteer shuttle service available at this time. There are taxi services that will pick up from locations along the trail:
Shakespeare’s Taxi - 800-312-5357.
Uni Taxi in Gainesville, (770) 297-0255
Appalachian Transportation Taxi & Shuttle in Hiawassee (706) 896- 8294 (serving 150 mi. radius)
See below volunteers willing to provide car transportation for hikers.
Parking:Available at the major paved road crossings: Woody Gap (GA Hwy. 60), Neels Gap (US Hwy. 129/19), Tesnatee Gap (GA Hwy. 348), Hogpen Gap (GA Hwy. 348), Unicoi Gap (GA Hwy. 75/17) and Dicks Creek Gap (US Hwy. 76). Limited parking is available where the A.T. crosses Forest Service roads: Springer Mtn. (USFS 42). For extended backpacks, cars may be registered and parked at Amicalola Falls State Park. Contact the park for more details.
Trail Approaches To Springer Mountain
The usual approach is to start at Amicalola Falls State Park off paved GA Hwy. 52 and walk the 8.3 mile blue-blazed Approach Trail to Springer Mountain.
A shorter approach is to intercept the Approach Trail at Nimblewill Gap on USFS Road #28 and walk 2.5 miles north to Springer. NOTE: This section of USFS Road #28 is usually very rough, particularly after storms in the spring.
The shortest approach involves driving north of Springer to where the A.T. crosses USFS Road #42, then hiking south on the white-blazed A.T. one mile to the summit of Springer Mountain.
Directions: From GA Hwy. 52, 9.5 miles east of Amicalola Falls State Park or 8.5 miles west of Dahlonega, turn north at Grizzle's old store (closed, sign for store is damaged). Go 2.0 miles and turn right on USFS Road #28 (look for sign that points to Georgia Wildlife Management Area on left and sign to Jones Creek Road on right). After 2.2 miles, bear left at fork onto USFS Road #77 and go 5.1 miles. Take hard left onto USFS Road #42 and go 2.7 miles to A.T., passing a Benton MacKaye Trail crossing (diamond blazes) along the way. There is a large parking area along north side of road.
Alternate directions: From GA Hwy. 52 in Cartecay (12.1 miles west of Amicalola Falls State Park or 7.4 miles east of Ellijay), turn north on Roy Road between Methodist Church and Stanley's Grocery and go 9.7 miles to end of road. Turn right and go 2.2 miles to Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church (these are paved roads). Turn right onto gravel USFS Road #42 and go 6.8 miles to the parking area on north side of road.
NOTE: These Forest Service roads can be quite rough, and may be impassable by car or van in winter or very wet weather. Contact the Chattahoochee National Forest Toccoa Ranger District in Blue Ridge, Georgia (706) 632-3031 for current road conditions.
Transportation in the North Georgia Area:
(updated 1/2008)
Dial-A-Bus / Lumpkin County Transport
Dahlonega, GA
(706) 864-6900 – or – 1-888-808-5021
Specifics: Provides service within Lumpkin County only: Dahlonega to Woody Gap or Neels Gap. – about $1/mile.
Pat Roberts
Dahlongega, GA
(706) 864-3229 – or – [email protected] ([email protected])
Specifics: All of N. Georgia shuttle – Vehicle storage available.
Bob & Mary Swift - Chattahoochee Ridge Lodge
Helen, GA
1-800-476-8331 / (706) 878-6396 (cell) - or - [email protected] ([email protected])
Specifics: Provides shuttle services, but NOT to/from Atlanta Airport. Call for rates.
Ron Brown
Ellijay, GA
Home: (706) 636-2825 – or – [email protected] ([email protected])
Cell: (706) 669-0919
Kelly Fields
Ellijay, GA
(706) 635-6730
Specifics: Taxi or Shuttle service to Springer Mtn., Atlanta & Knoxville airports. Call for rates.
Sabin Wes Wisson
Suches, GA
(706) 747-2671 – or – [email protected]
([email protected])Specifics: Atlanta airport or Marta Station. Will shuttle gap-to-gap - year round.Will go as far as Fontana (and anywhere in between) to help a hiker in need. NO National Forest Land. Call for rates.
Darlene Swofford
Franklin, NC
(706) 201-7719 (cell) - or – where2@mac,com (where2@mac,com)
Specifics: Springer Mtn – Hot Springs, NC Call for rates – rate depends on time & distance.
Dave Keller
Roswell, GA
(770) 993-5583.
Specifics: Willing to take hikers from Atlanta to Springer or Amicalola. Call for rates.

Josh and Leigh Saint
Suches, GA
(770) 312-7342 - or – http://www.hikerhostel.com (http://www.hikerhostel.com/)
Specifics: Complete shuttle and hostel service.

Scott Dowling
Atlanta, GA
(404) 362-1271 - or – [email protected] ([email protected])
Specifics: Will pick up at the Atlanta Airport, Amtrak Train Station, or Greyhound bus Station and will take to Amicalola Falls State Park or to Springer Mtn., (USFS 42). Will also transport to other trail heads, but only from Atlanta. (For example, I can't pick up at Neels Gap and drop off at Woody Gap).
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE INFORMATION STATED HERE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE AND IS BEYOND THE CONTROL OF THE GEORGIA APPALACHIAN TRAIL CLUB (GATC). THE GATC CAN NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION OR THE PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICES LISTED ABOVE. ALL TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION SHOULD BE CONFIRMED AHEAD OF TIME WITH THE CARRIER.

will_flacid
04-07-2008, 10:54
thank you. that is most helpful

Sly
04-07-2008, 10:55
i have placed a call to the hiker hostel to see if i can get a thru hiker special, but only got the machine so have no idea if i can get one.
Josh or Leigh should be able to take care of you, but you'll probably have to meet them at the MARTA in north Atlanta. How are you getting here?

MoBill122
04-07-2008, 11:07
Need to take MARTA out of Atlanta, or you're looking at 80-90 miles to Trailhead at Fall's.
Most of us wouldn't want to drive downtown to get you ! <S>

Bulldawg
04-07-2008, 18:15
I think you might be able to get on Gwinett Transit to the park and ride in Buford. Buford is REALLY close to the start of the trail. Check with MARTA's website to see if you can transfer from the end of the NE Line onto Gwinett Transit to Buford Park and Ride.

Mad Hatter 08
04-07-2008, 23:20
If Josh/Leigh haven't called back yet try again. They do alot to accomodate hikers. If they are full up for the night you get in they may be able to shuttle you up to dohlonega (sp?) even if they don't have a space for you at the hostel there are a few places in town to stay and they can shuttle you the next morning to the falls (they did alot of that type of stuff to accomodate ppl when I was there.)