PDA

View Full Version : Helen, GA Hiking Options

FIRFTR911
04-07-2008, 11:49
I'm a city guy from Chicago that will be spending a week in the Helen area at the end of June, and would like to go on at least 1 day hike on the AT while we are there. What are my options as far as pick up and drop off locations? Tray Gap to Dick's Creek seems a bit long/rough. Is Tray Gap to Unicoi Gap a decent hike? Thanks for any tips and info.

Dances with Mice
04-07-2008, 13:32
There is a loop from Unicoi: Unicoi Gap north to Indian Grave Gap, return by taking a left on the FS road at Indian Grave and following the road to a return trail that will leave the road, again on the left. It's blue-blazed & easy to find.

You could extend the loop by taking the AT north awhile then backtracking to Indian Grave and returning via the other trail. You could check out the Cheese Factory site or climb Tray Mtn.

FIRFTR911
04-07-2008, 13:41
Thanks Dances. Does the Blue Blaze trail come out near the Unicoi Gap parking area?

Dances with Mice
04-07-2008, 14:09
Thanks Dances. Does the Blue Blaze trail come out near the Unicoi Gap parking area?It rejoins the AT above the parking area. You may see where it rejoins as you hike up from Unicoi. The blue blaze is a pretty little trail, with a little mountain stream crossing. It bypasses the peak of Rocky Mtn (the mountain you climb north from Unicoi Gap).

Bulldawg
04-07-2008, 15:29
I would definitely try to summit Tray. Not much in the way of views up there in the summer, but they are somewhat OK. And if you have time, you have to summit Blood Mountain. I guess it all depends on how far away from Helen you are willing to get.

Mother Nature
04-07-2008, 17:00
Since you are going to be in the Helen area for a week you could do several hikes from Unicoi Gap.

1) As suggested hike up Rocky Mtn on the AT (heart thumper) to the blue blazed Rocky Mountain Trail junction. When the Rocky Mountain Trail reaches the Forest Service Road bear right for 1/2 mile to rejoin the AT at Indian Grave Gap. You would then bear right again to climb the back of Rocky on the AT and back to Unicoi Gap. Nice views from the top of Rocky.

2) If you drive about 2 miles further north of Unicoi Gap on the pavement you will reach FS 283. Watch for a very sharp right turn onto the FS road. You will reach High Shoals Falls Trailhead in 1.4 miles. A 2.4 mile round trip hike to cute waterfalls.

3) Continuing another 1 or 2 miles further along this same Forest Service Road you will reach Indian Grave Gap. You can head left this time on the AT and walk past the Cheese Factory to Tray Gap Parking Lot (1.9 miles of trail). You can then climb .9 mile to the beautiful summit on Tray Mountain. Another .5 mile or so further to the Tray Mountain Shelter.

goose1
04-07-2008, 18:05
FIRFT911 The loop hike from Unicoi is called the Rocky Mountrin loop. It's about 5 miles and a great hike. If you can get a copy of 50 Hikes in the North Georgia Mountains By Johnny Molloy You will find several Hikes in the Helen area. With directions and maps. I think I got my copy at Mountain Crossing. Oh This is my first post but I have been geting a lot of great info. from White Blaze since January. Thanks to every one. This is the first time I felt that I could give something back. I hope it helps.
Goose 1

Bulldawg
04-07-2008, 18:16
Please continue to post goose1. And WELCOME!!

Skidsteer
04-07-2008, 18:50
Welcome to WB, goose1.

Dances with Mice
04-07-2008, 19:13
FIRFT911 The loop hike from Unicoi is called the Rocky Mountrin loop. Welcome, Goose. Great info.

Fair warning - Someday I am going to use the term "Rocky Motrin" to describe that climb north of Unicoi and not credit your typo.

take-a-knee
04-07-2008, 19:18
I would definitely try to summit Tray. Not much in the way of views up there in the summer, but they are somewhat OK. And if you have time, you have to summit Blood Mountain. I guess it all depends on how far away from Helen you are willing to get.

IIRC there is an overlook looking south on a sidetrail (to the right as you are headed north/east) before you get to the turn off to the Tray Mountain shelter.

Skidsteer
04-07-2008, 19:21
IIRC there is an overlook looking south on a sidetrail (to the right as you are headed north/east) before you get to the turn off to the Tray Mountain shelter.

There is. There are also some nice non-Summer views on the side trail to the shelter. Good camping spots, too.

Mother Nature
04-07-2008, 19:30
Welcome goose! Jump in the conversation anytime!

Are the Vidalia onions ready? Been checking my grocery but nothing new yet! They are so GOOD when they are dehydrated. Yummy good plain or rehydrated in sauces.

bloodmountainman
04-07-2008, 20:14
Ravin Cliff Falls is a nice 5 mile in and out hike just outside of town on Hwy. 348 ( Richard Russell Scenic Highway):D

Bulldawg
04-07-2008, 20:39
Yeah, I forgot about Raven Cliffs, but it isn't on the AT, but it is an awesome hike.

Skidsteer
04-07-2008, 20:46
Yeah, I forgot about Raven Cliffs, but it isn't on the AT, but it is an awesome hike.

Not on the AT but you can get from one to the other.

Not for the faint of heart though.

Bulldawg
04-07-2008, 20:53
Not on the AT but you can get from one to the other.

Not for the faint of heart though.

The terrain is running through my head as I read this and I'm thinking only a foolish soul would attempt this???

Oh wait, who said that, not me!!:eek:

Bulldawg
04-07-2008, 20:54
Pick up the 50 hikes book or the North Georgia book by Tim Holman. Both of them are good books for somebody looking for a hike. Some weekends I just throw the book open and that's where I hike. (Except now that gas is so high I don't always go with my first choice when I land in the Cohuttas)

goose1
04-07-2008, 22:27
Welcome, Goose. Great info.

Fair warning - Someday I am going to use the term "Rocky Motrin" to describe that climb north of Unicoi and not credit your typo.
Sorry about the typo. You sure need the motrin after that first mile.

goose1
04-07-2008, 22:29
Welcome goose! Jump in the conversation anytime!

Are the Vidalia onions ready? Been checking my grocery but nothing new yet! They are so GOOD when they are dehydrated. Yummy good plain or rehydrated in sauces.
The onions will be ready by the end of April.