PDA

View Full Version : City boy goes camping.. uh oh.

ToyYoda
04-07-2008, 17:51
So I decided this is my summer to sleep in the dirt and get bit by small obnoxious animals. No, really, I've been camping before but I'm a through and through city boy.

I do want to hit the AT at least 4 times (3-4 nights each) this summer. So I headed to my not so local REI. I came out with a REI Quick UL 45 backpack. It's not very big, but it's comfortable and if I can't fit it than I probably shouldn't be taking it. 99 bucks seems you cant beat it.

That said.. I can fit my solo tent in it, but my sleeping bag and thermarest is another story all together. This is going to be a really stupid question.. but I can't figure out how to strap those two to my pack? :(

I threw the therma on there with some carabiners and it swings a bit.. but possibly managable.

There are loops all over the pack (6 I think- 3 each side) but no loops to tighten things i with, they are literally just non-adjustable loops.

Please tell me I'm not a complete idiot.

Jimmers
04-07-2008, 17:59
Sounds like you're trying to pack the UL45 like it's an external frame pack. Everything you have should really go inside the pack, especially for REI's UL series. They're not meant or built to have heavy objects like tents and bags strapped onto the outside of the pack body. You may have to consider trying a different pack if your gear is too bulky for this pack otherwise.

A-Train
04-07-2008, 18:00
Well, i'm not very familiar with that pack, but I'm assuming it's 45 litres. You're not an idiot, it's just not a very big pack. Most light weight backpackers use a pack closer to 60 liters. Still, with some work you should be able to squeeze.

Couple ideas:

-buy some compresion stuff sacks. This will shrink the volume of stuff like sleeping bags, clothes, etc.
-bring very few clothes. If you're doing 3-4 day summer trips in the mid-atlantic you'll need very little spare clothing besides a long sleeve shirt and a rain coat.
Ditch the therma rest and buy a cheapo foam pad you can lash onto the outside of the pack.

good luck and have fun

sofaking
04-07-2008, 18:03
what kind of sleeping bag and thermarest do you have?

ToyYoda
04-07-2008, 19:33
Yeah, I think I underestimated the gear I would be bringing and went with the smaller pack.. I was going to get the Osprey Atmos 65 as its on sale for 165.00, but they only had SM. So I was SOL.

I dont know what thermarest it is, as it was a hand me down. Its in a EMS stuff sack, which i can measure and it keeps it pretty tight and compacted (width anyways.. still about 18-20" long). Its not heavy by any means. Lets say 5x18ish in the sack.

I don't have a bag yet. I'm looking at the Crystal 30 by Big Agnes (pack size of 8x7, easily could put in the bottom.)

It's down to the thermarest.. I dont have the tent yet either, but I looked at it while at REI and visually I believe it will fit fine, even with sleeping bag in there too.

I'll ditch it if I have to, but would hate to. lol

Blissful
04-07-2008, 20:04
Good choice. That should be plenty of volume for summer backpacking. Go with a marmot pounder (they have been on sale on the Internt recently and you can easily get that in your packhould be straps as well on the outside to put a thermarest or go with a ridge rest or z rest. You won't need much in clothing either.

sofaking
04-07-2008, 20:14
sounds like you've got a full length pad. i like 3/4 b/c they're easier to get inside of my pack.

bigcranky
04-07-2008, 20:46
It's so easy to walk out of an outfitter with a sleek, smooth, small, sexy pack, isn't it? They look great on the wall, and feel good on your back.

The UL 45 is a nice pack, but it's not very large. It's designed for a light or ultralight hiker, by that I mean someone who has pared down their gear choices to a 15-pound base load or less. (Base load = everything except food and water.) This means things like a compact, light down sleeping bag. (Down is much more compressible than synthetic insulation.) A tarp or tarptent rather than a double wall traditional tent. An alcohol stove instead of a big white gas stove. A simple aluminum mug or pot instead of a giant gourmet cook kit.

(A traditional kit might have a 20-F synthetic bag, 2-man 3-season double wall tent, extra large inflating pad, big white gas stove, multiple pots, plates, bowls, full set of cooking and eating utensils, plenty of extra clothing, etc.)

There's nothing wrong with a traditional kit -- it just won't fit in your pack <grin>.

A couple of ideas:

1. The sleeping bag needs to go inside the pack.
2. Your shelter should go inside, just due to the design of this pack. There's no place to put it outside.
3. Your sleeping pad can be rigged to hang vertically along the front of the pack (the part farthest from your back when wearing the pack.) Buy some bungee cord material and run it through the 6 little black loops on the pack front. Make a couple of X shapes, then finish with a cord lock. This will hold your pad in place vertically. (You might use a mini carabiner to make sure it doesn't fall out.)
4. Everything else needs to go inside -- clothing, food, cook kit, personal items.

Finally, you might check the UL 60:

http://www.rei.com/product/747520?vcat=REI_SEARCH

Larger version, but basically the same design. (That said, if you have a huge bag and a heavy tent, it's still going to be difficult.)

Your best bet is to take your gear back to REI with you and try putting it in various packs.

Good luck.

sofaking
04-07-2008, 20:49
yeah, what big cranky said.

ToyYoda
04-07-2008, 20:52
blissful, you mean straps on the bottom of my pack? no, thats what it lacks. I may sew some on.. I know I'm not supposed to be strapping much outside of an internal, but man this thing is super lite.. weighs nothing really. It's just the length. is an issue.

I measured it, its roughly 20".

Maybe I'll skip the tent and thermarest and get a HAMMOCK!! ha ha.

Bob S
04-07-2008, 20:57
So it’s not perfect, don’t think any experienced backpacker got it right the first time, because they didn’t.

The important thing to do is get out and try what you have (shorter trips to start) to see what does and doesn’t work for you. Hike in a place that you will have an option of cutting the hike short if you feel the need to.

By the end of a few trips you will have a much better idea what you need & want.

Hooch
04-07-2008, 20:58
.......Finally, you might check the UL 60:

Larger version, but basically the same design....... I have that pack and love it. It's great with plenty of room for a few day's worth of gear. I can get my sleeping bag, hammock, clothing, food, chow kit, full hydration bladder and "junk bag" in the pack with room left over if I pack tight. If I don't, then the space is utilized, but not too tight. In the outside front pocket I keep my water filter, first aid kit and rain jacket. In the outside pockets, I keep my tarp on one side and an extra water container in the other along with a pack cover. The Cruise UL 60 is a great pack for only about $30 more. If you haven't used the UL 45 yet, it may be worth your time to head back to REI and exchange it for the larger pack, IMO. :)

Hooch
04-07-2008, 20:59
Maybe I'll skip the tent and thermarest and get a HAMMOCK!! ha ha.Smart man! :D

ToyYoda
04-07-2008, 21:02
It's so easy to walk out of an outfitter with a sleek, smooth, small, sexy pack, isn't it? They look great on the wall, and feel good on your back.

The UL 45 is a nice pack, but it's not very large. It's designed for a light or ultralight hiker, by that I mean someone who has pared down their gear choices to a 15-pound base load or less. (Base load = everything except food and water.) This means things like a compact, light down sleeping bag. (Down is much more compressible than synthetic insulation.) A tarp or tarptent rather than a double wall traditional tent. An alcohol stove instead of a big white gas stove. A simple aluminum mug or pot instead of a giant gourmet cook kit.

(A traditional kit might have a 20-F synthetic bag, 2-man 3-season double wall tent, extra large inflating pad, big white gas stove, multiple pots, plates, bowls, full set of cooking and eating utensils, plenty of extra clothing, etc.)

There's nothing wrong with a traditional kit -- it just won't fit in your pack <grin>.

A couple of ideas:

1. The sleeping bag needs to go inside the pack.
2. Your shelter should go inside, just due to the design of this pack. There's no place to put it outside.
3. Your sleeping pad can be rigged to hang vertically along the front of the pack (the part farthest from your back when wearing the pack.) Buy some bungee cord material and run it through the 6 little black loops on the pack front. Make a couple of X shapes, then finish with a cord lock. This will hold your pad in place vertically. (You might use a mini carabiner to make sure it doesn't fall out.)
4. Everything else needs to go inside -- clothing, food, cook kit, personal items.

Finally, you might check the UL 60:

Larger version, but basically the same design. (That said, if you have a huge bag and a heavy tent, it's still going to be difficult.)

Your best bet is to take your gear back to REI with you and try putting it in various packs.

Good luck.

I tried the UL 60, and swear it just didnt fit the same. It sure does look like the same design and everything, but it wore different for me.

Good idea on the bungee cords.

I guess back to the drawing board.. I will take this back and probably order the atmos 65 in MED online..

ToyYoda
04-07-2008, 21:05
Smart man! :D

The ultralite a-sym from hennessy looks cool. But I'm a big dude and worried it will snap on me at 2am or something.

saimyoji
04-07-2008, 21:11
How does the internal cord compression work on that? Do you like it? Seems like it would get in the way of packing it.

Hooch
04-07-2008, 21:12
I tried the UL 60, and swear it just didnt fit the same. It sure does look like the same design and everything, but it wore different for me.

Good idea on the bungee cords.

I guess back to the drawing board.. I will take this back and probably order the atmos 65 in MED online..If you're not too far, just have it shipped to the store, no shipping charge like that.

The ultralite a-sym from hennessy looks cool. But I'm a big dude and worried it will snap on me at 2am or something.How big? The Ultralite holds up to 250#. If you need larger, go with the Explorer Deluxe, which holds up to 300#. Personally, I like my Eagles Nest Outfitters DoubleNest. But that's just me.

Two Speed
04-07-2008, 21:14
Just to stir the pot I'm gonna say that I think a 45 L pack is too big.

sofaking
04-07-2008, 21:15
Just to stir the pot I'm gonna say that I think a 45 L pack is too big.
go weigh your stove or time some water or something...;)

Two Speed
04-07-2008, 21:16
Already done that.

ToyYoda
04-07-2008, 21:18
How does the internal cord compression work on that? Do you like it? Seems like it would get in the way of packing it.

It doesnt get in the way, but it doesnt do much either. It could have been much better designed.

ToyYoda
04-07-2008, 21:33
If you're not too far, just have it shipped to the store, no shipping charge like that.

How big? The Ultralite holds up to 250#. If you need larger, go with the Explorer Deluxe, which holds up to 300#. Personally, I like my Eagles Nest Outfitters DoubleNest. But that's just me.

I would have to get the explorer deluxe lol. I'm about 280.

Bearpaw
04-07-2008, 21:39
I would have to get the explorer deluxe lol. I'm about 280.

You can get away with the Expedition A-Sym. I've ranged from 220 to your weight in the last 4 years and used the Exped A-Sym on a number of occasions during that time.

By using an Integral Designs Silponcho instead of the diamond fly that comes with the hammock, I keep my shelter weight almost as low as I do by using a tarptent.

Two Speed
04-07-2008, 21:56
FWIW the REI UL 45 is well regarded by many of the folks on this site. Gotta be "efficient" with gear choices but it's definitely in the running in the lightweight category.

Lellers
04-07-2008, 22:30
I have that pack and really like it. I pack my tent (MSR Hubba) in separate compression bags. Poles go down the side of the pack inside, fly in a small compression bag, and main body of tent in another small compression bag. It takes up less space than when it's all packed together. I keep saying I'll camp with just the fly, but I really hate bugs. Are you camping in the summer? I generally don't bring a bag at all in the summer, just a twin size sheet that I cut down a bit for length and width. I carry a very small therm-a-rest, can't remember the name of it. It folds in half lengthwise and then rolls up, only about 1/2 to 3/4 length. Much smaller. I have two herniated disks and an old pelvic fracture, so I prefer a self-inflating pad to closed cell foam. I only use this pack for 3-4 day trips, but am considering lightening my load just a bit more and might use it on my SNP trip in August -- 10 days, AT and blue blazed trails. I'll have to depend on the Big Meadows store to resupply, but it might be doable. If not, well, I guess I'll find out.

Wags
04-08-2008, 00:19
have you tried folding your thermarest in half before you roll it? lifetime warranty :D

Jimmers
04-08-2008, 00:58

I have this pack myself, and the internal compression cord doesn't honestly help much. All it really does is cinch things down nice and tight when I'm out for just a weekend. Otherwise it really just sits there and looks pretty.

tlbj6142
04-08-2008, 09:03
FWIW the REI UL 45 is well regarded by many of the folks on this site. Gotta be "efficient" with gear choices but it's definitely in the running in the lightweight category.45L * 61ci/L == ~2800 ci. That is plenty of space for all but a winter trip. So, 45L is more than enough space to hold gear for a multi-day trip as long as you don't bring too much and don't bring the bulkiest type of each item.

I use a homemade 30L pack for 5-day trips and I have room to spare. But I don't bring bulky items (I use a Prolite 3 S rather than a closed cell pad) and don't carry unnecessary or duplicate items. I have a real shelter (tarptent) and a real bag (WM) and use a canister stove. Nothing special, nothing odd or freakishly UL. Just a well planned out gear list.

Frankly, I have no idea what folks carrying in their 60L packs that fill them up, cannonballs (http://www.rayjardine.com/papers/cannonballs.htm)?

ToyYoda
04-08-2008, 10:05
Ok, I think I got it figured out and it will work.

I packed it up last night, but since I dont have a few items had to sub in some similar shaped/sized items. I was left with about half a bag empty, but no tent in it. So I think I will be left with room once I figure how to pack the tent in. I guess put it somewhat in the middle and pack clothes around it?

I had "sleeping bag" (read: can of whey protein) in the bottom, then my clothes... 4 underwear, 4 pr socks, 3 shirts, one shorts. I'm buying the MSR pocketrocket, so I can put that in the top pocket w/ first aid or something.

Basically I just need room for a water purifier. Oh, and pots and pans the 2 i have fit inside each other and really dont take up much room so I can put that in between the clothes and still be left with quite a bit of bag left.

So then really I just need some bungees for the pad and I'll go with bigcranks suggestion on putting it on the back of the pack.

So yeah... all is well in the city again.

ToyYoda
04-08-2008, 10:09
Oh, and does anyone think I'm missing anything?

This will be what I have when I leave..

pack
tent
sleeping bag
sleeping pad
msr stove
2 pots and pans (might can both of these and get the jetboil???)
1 fuel can (2 all together, my buddy can carry the other)
water purifier
first aid, leatherman

This would be for probably 3 nights, 4 days. I feel like I'm missing something essential.

Lellers
04-08-2008, 10:27

This will be what I have when I leave..

pack
tent
sleeping bag
sleeping pad
msr stove
2 pots and pans (might can both of these and get the jetboil???)
1 fuel can (2 all together, my buddy can carry the other)
water purifier
first aid, leatherman

This would be for probably 3 nights, 4 days. I feel like I'm missing something essential.

In the post before this you listed a lot of clothing. I would ditch most of your clothes. :D For a 3/4 day hike in spring/summer, I usually have a pair of convertible pants, a long sleeved wicking shirt, something in the way of rain gear, 2 maybe 3 pairs of socks at the most, maybe another pair of underwear. Depends on how much I care 'bout the stench. And I wear most of those and just take off layers during the day as temps warm.

Also, I go with just a pot and plan my food so that I can do everything in one pot. My cook kit includes my pocket rocket, fuel, a small pot, a lighter, a small square of green scrubbie to clean out the pot and a spork. I've also used home-made alcohol stoves and like those. I'm out about 50/50 of the time with the pocket rocket or alcohol stove. I may be completely converted to the lighter alcohol stove eventually, because I like not carrying the fuel cans or knowing for absolutely sure how much fuel I have left.

The leatherman's pretty heavy, and I never seem to need more than a sharp blade, so I go with a lighter knife.

ToyYoda
04-08-2008, 10:48
I'll ditch 2 shirts and the pair of shorts, but I refuse to ditch socks and underwear. :P

I'm thinking I may get the jetboil anyway, and that would eliminate the pocketrocket+pots. Still have fuel, but at least the jetboil will take up less space than the pots. Weight too, not sure how much each weighs but pickup up the jetboil in the store it was pretty light.

By raingear, you mean like poncho/rain jacket?

I think my buddy has some more hand me downs, I'll see what he's got.

unl1988
04-08-2008, 11:01
If your happy with the pack and like the way it fits, stick with it. With more trail experience, you'll figure out a way to get your volume to match your pack, especially for your goal of 3-4 days, summer, etc.

I have a ULA Catalyst and it is about the same capacity as the REI pack (4600 vs. 4500 cc, I believe). I have found that by using stuff and compression sacks, I can get everything in the pack with room to spare. This past summer, I took it on a two week trip to Philmont (they don't allow hammocks there), and found that there was plenty of room for my gear, clothes and a big bulky tent that I borrowed.

The only thing I had on the outside of the pack (besides the things in the pockets) were the poles for the tent. Instead of rolling my thermarest, I folded it up so it rested inside the pack, closest to my back, compressed my sleeping bag, clothes and the tent (a 3 man BSA approved monster with a fly), when compressed down, those three things sat in the bottom 2/3's of the pack, leaving the top 1/3 for food and such.

4500 cc is plenty of room for a 3-4 day trip. I think that just working with the rest of your gear and paring down what your carrying to the essentials will help you out.

jesse
04-08-2008, 12:04
I wear 1 pair of socks, t-shirt, and underwear, and carry 1 pair of socks, t-shirt, and underwear. each night i wash the dirty clothes hang to dry in my tarp and put on the clean ones next day. I sleep in long underwear, except in the heat of summer.
BTW, i'm not a long distance hiker. I go out on weekends.

Symbol
04-08-2008, 13:42
MSR has a new lightweight filter out this year that is worth checking out.

Hyperflow (http://www.rei.com/product/767564)

Alligator
04-08-2008, 14:33
...I have a ULA Catalyst and it is about the same capacity as the REI pack (4600 vs. 4500 cc, I believe). ...

4500 cc is plenty of room for a 3-4 day trip. I think that just working with the rest of your gear and paring down what your carrying to the essentials will help you out.It's 45 liters, 50l if it's the large, so ~2800 or 3000 cubic inches. The catalyst is 4600 cubic inches, 75 liters.

I just bought this pack too. I usually use about 60 liters, but I was figuring if I didn't have the room, that the lower four loops below the back pocket could hold a T-rest. The back pocket sort of bulges out above that space. A cord with cordlock through the two loops on each side would hold it. I would include a small biner or clip though in case it pops out. I lost a T-rest like that once.

Drewbooty, you didn't list a light.

quasarr
04-08-2008, 16:02
I had "sleeping bag" (read: can of whey protein) in the bottom, then my clothes... 4 underwear, 4 pr socks, 3 shirts, one shorts. I'm buying the MSR pocketrocket, so I can put that in the top pocket w/ first aid or something.

Basically I just need room for a water purifier. Oh, and pots and pans the 2 i have fit inside each other and really dont take up much room so I can put that in between the clothes and still be left with quite a bit of bag left.

A sleeping bag (especially synthetic) will probably be bigger than a container of whey protein, unless you have a huge jar that I haven't seen!

And like others have said, there's no need to bring more than one pot. Pans are pointless too. you're a backpacker, not a gourmet chef!! ;)

deeddawg
04-08-2008, 17:16

What are you carrying your water in? I'm not familiar with the pack, does it have a reservoir & tube or do you need to add that?

ToyYoda
04-08-2008, 17:48
A sleeping bag (especially synthetic) will probably be bigger than a container of whey protein, unless you have a huge jar that I haven't seen!

And like others have said, there's no need to bring more than one pot. Pans are pointless too. you're a backpacker, not a gourmet chef!! ;)

But I might be! :D

stuff size on the crystal 30 big agnes says 8x7"- its a 3lb whey container.. damn close at least. lol

What are you carrying your water in? I'm not familiar with the pack, does it have a reservoir & tube or do you need to add that?

it has a reservoir pocket. I will put my camelback 3L res in there.. I'm kinda worried about it getting smashed and busting though.

powderbank
04-08-2008, 18:11
reservoirs are usually pretty durable. I've landed on them many times(knock knock) without much trouble. I have a jet boil pot very compact and light. The fuel, cooking container/bowl, and element are all contained in the size of a coffee can. One set of clothes is good (socks and underwear good for stuffing into corners. Have fun, consider tablets or boiling for water purification if little space is left for a filter. Just some thoughts.

quasarr
04-08-2008, 19:12
[quote=Drewbooty;589511]But I might be! :Dquote]

well let me know when your next trip is, I'd love to have some foie gras for dinner out on the trail!!! :banana:banana

ToyYoda
04-08-2008, 20:31
[quote=Drewbooty;589511]But I might be! :Dquote]

well let me know when your next trip is, I'd love to have some foie gras for dinner out on the trail!!! :banana:banana

bring the truffles and wine, I'll bring the duck.

in all seriousness though, I'm no tree hugger but it's awful how the ducks are fattened.

ToyYoda
04-08-2008, 20:33
reservoirs are usually pretty durable. I've landed on them many times(knock knock) without much trouble. I have a jet boil pot very compact and light. The fuel, cooking container/bowl, and element are all contained in the size of a coffee can. One set of clothes is good (socks and underwear good for stuffing into corners. Have fun, consider tablets or boiling for water purification if little space is left for a filter. Just some thoughts.

I sweat like a beast, I really think multiple shirts and underwear is needed for me. ha ha.

maybe I'll just rock wifebeaters everyday.. they are super small rolled up.

I like the jetboil and think it might be in my pack in the very near future. for now I may just pickup the pocket rocket as I saw it at sports authority for 25 bucks on sale.

Hooch
04-08-2008, 20:42
in all seriousness though, I'm no tree hugger but it's awful how the ducks are fattened.But it sure makes for some good foie gras. :rolleyes::D I've only had it a couple times, but man is it good!

Wags
04-08-2008, 23:31
i think jetboil is a waste of funds, personally - cooking is cooking, for the most part. i'm personally glad i tried out .35 cent alcohol stoves before i spent 35 bucks on a snow peak canister (thanks to the advise i got here), let alone drop the 90 or 100 bucks for teh jetboil and all it's "extras"... i'd suggest putting that money into a really good sleeping bag and pad.

Bob S
04-08-2008, 23:50
While I don’t like canister stoves, and I don’t see myself buying one. I don’t see anything wrong with someone buying a Jetboil as it will likely last for years. If it does cost $100.00 (never looked up the price) that price will be spread over several years of use. Also the price of a camping item (to me anyway) should never be the first thing you think of. How well it will fill your need is more important then a low price.

Price shoppers usually get what they pay for.

Alligator
04-09-2008, 08:42
While I don’t like canister stoves, and I don’t see myself buying one. I don’t see anything wrong with someone buying a Jetboil as it will likely last for years. If it does cost $100.00 (never looked up the price) that price will be spread over several years of use. Also the price of a camping item (to me anyway) should never be the first thing you think of. How well it will fill your need is more important then a low price.

Price shoppers usually get what they pay for. Some people start out with a low budget. If there's not enough left over to buy all their needs, they won't get out the door.

ToyYoda
04-09-2008, 14:14
I'm trying to get geared up for under 350-400. So far I think I'm doing reasonably well. That's why I passed on the jetboil for now, and picked up the pocketrocket since it was on sale.

so far:

rei ul 45 pack: 99.00
thermarest stuff sack: 10.00
granite gear UL #3 stuff sack (for dirty socks, underwear): 8.00
spork/fork/knife thing: 2.00
MSR miniworks (bought here used): 60.00
msr pocket rocket from sports authority: 28.00
2 msr isopro canister: 8.00

free stuff from friends:
thermarest: 0
ems compression pack: 0
2 pots w/ lid and mesh bag: 0

total so far: 215.00

projected purchases:

mt hardwear lamina 35: 100.00

then I just need a tent, headlamp, and some woods???

Blissful
04-09-2008, 15:20
I'm trying to get geared up for under 350-400. So far I think I'm doing reasonably well. That's why I passed on the jetboil for now, and picked up the pocketrocket since it was on sale.

Well, a little more than that... :) Like clothes, shoes, pack cover, etc.

Marta
04-09-2008, 18:44
If you google "Lightweight backpacking lists" or similar, you will come up with comprehensive packing lists, such as:

http://www.backpacking.net/inventry.html

ToyYoda
04-10-2008, 02:10
Well, a little more than that... :) Like clothes, shoes, pack cover, etc.

I got clothes and shoes :P

some hiking boots would be nice, but I think I will be ok with my goretex new balance 950's. best shoes evAr.

I do need a pack cover and a rain jacket though.

man, I cant wait.. i'm ready to go now!! :eek::sun

Wags
04-10-2008, 09:44
pack cover can be a garbage bag inside your pack

Bob S
04-10-2008, 10:07
Canister stoves are the most expensive stoves to run, if you are on a limited budget, why buy a stove that runs on the most expensive stove fuel out there?

If you are on a tight budget, make some of your own gear. An alcohol stove is very easy to make and work very well. In fact many of us prefer them. There are web sites that tell you how to make all kinds of homemade camping gear.

I play around all the time making stoves, I don’t know why because I must have 15 of them and don’t need any more…

jesse
04-10-2008, 10:23
some hiking boots would be nice, but I think I will be ok with my goretex new balance 950's. best shoes evAr. I:eek::sun

Go with the new balance. A new pair of hiking boots will only give you blisters.

Bob S
04-10-2008, 10:38
Also don’t forget to look at thrift stores, I just bought a Kelty external frame backpack for $3.00. Lots of ways to save money.

envirodiver
04-10-2008, 10:49
it has a reservoir pocket. I will put my camelback 3L res in there.. I'm kinda worried about it getting smashed and busting though.

I put my bladder on the very top of my pack, outside of the rolled up trash compactor bag. Just lay it across everything and then pull the top compression strap across it. I like it there, cause I don't worry about leaks and it doesn't take up any interior room in my pack. It's also easier to get at in case you need to refill it, which I usually do over the course of the day since I carry a 1.5 L bladder.

I have a pocket rocket and they work just fine. I have used a canister for a week, boiling water in the morning and each night (freezer bag cooking) and there was still fuel left at the end of the week. Don't know how long the canister may last if you are actually cooking. You may want to use a canister up at home cooking just to get a feel for it.

Regarding your clothing. I sweat like a beast also and I have 2 lightweight synthetic quick drying t-shirts for my trips. 1 to wear and 1 to sleep in. Hey, for us sweaters it doesn't matter if we put on a clean dry shirt each morning. It's going to be soaked within an houre anyway.

I got the idea on here somewhere. It works great for me, maybe not everyone.

Sly
04-10-2008, 11:03

For now, just get a cheap tarp (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=88642&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1) and a head lamp (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=26634964&memberId=12500226&catalogId=400000002) on sale at Campmor.

ToyYoda
04-10-2008, 20:39
For now, just get a cheap tarp (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=88642&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1) and a head lamp (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=26634964&memberId=12500226&catalogId=400000002) on sale at Campmor.

For that price I might as well get the eureka solitaire 1 for 10 bucks more.

sofaking
04-10-2008, 23:59
For that price I might as well get the eureka solitaire 1 for 10 bucks more.
guide gear bivy tent @ sportsmanswarehouse, 2 1/2 lbs(less when you get rid of half the stakes) about $35...and it's camouflage...;)

Wags
04-11-2008, 00:13
as far as the tent goes, i'd suggest you keep an eye on the "selling gear" forum, here and other hiking websites. a couple of these guys buy new gear before they have a chance to really abuse their present gear. some good deals to be had :D

ToyYoda
04-16-2008, 21:26
alright.. update if nobody minds.

I switched packs. I realized it just wasn't going to kick it. It was very tight just trying to get my bag in there. I went to go get the Cruise UL 60, and came out with a behemoth of a pack. Its about 77L for 20 bucks more than the UL 60. It's also like 2lbs heavier. However.. I think if I ever do some colder/winter camping it will help to have the bigger pack. It also has a TON of extra padding and tweakability-is that a word?

I walked around REI w/ 30lbs in it for about 2hrs killing time cause of DC/rockville traffic.. so I'm very satisfied with this purchase and settled on the pack situation. I can definitely fit everything in it too. Ha.

so far:
Kelty coyote 4750: 150.00
thermarest stuff sack: returned cause it was too big.. decided to use massive rubber band I stole from my father. 0.00
granite gear UL #3 stuff sack (for dirty socks, underwear): 8.00
spork/fork/knife thing: 2.00
MSR miniworks (bought here used): 60.00
msr pocket rocket from sports authority: 28.00
2 msr isopro canister: 8.00free stuff from friends:
GF bought ultralight cheapo 40deg mummy sleeping bag: 0.00 - actually packs up really small.. maybe 14" x 5" I'll have to measure but its really light.
thermarest explorer deluxe: 0
ems compression pack: 0
2 pots w/ lid and mesh bag: 0 - maybe sell for one TI pot? Not sure yet.total so far: 256.00

I'm still about 150.00 under budget. I think I may exceed budget, since I bought the heavier pack I want to go lighter on the tent and I'm now looking at the MSR Hubba or Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1. Both are about 250.00

So I will go over by 100.00, not bad I think. I'll continue to watch the used gear go up and see what I can grab in the next few weeks, but if I don't find anything soon I think I will just break down and order the tent online.

4eyedbuzzard
04-16-2008, 23:37
45 liters was a bit too small, so you went just a bit bigger and bought a 78 liter pack? :-? :confused:

The problem is now you're hauling 2 extra lbs, and even worse, now you have the room to fill that monster with even more stuff you don't need and won't use to weigh you down further. Plus it gets harder to distribute weight properly in a pack when it''s only half full.

I could see going 55 to 60 liters...but 78?

Bob S
04-16-2008, 23:47
Get out and camp & hike with it. If you find it’s too big of a pack, sell it and buy another one. No big deal. It’s not like we all have always bought the perfect item the first time, every time. Heck I have lots of camping gear on shelves that was not what I thought it was or didn’t work like I wanted it to. I would guess lots of us have unused gear like this.

Lyle
04-16-2008, 23:47
45 liters was a bit too small, so you went just a bit bigger and bought a 78 liter pack? :-? :confused:

The problem is now you're hauling 2 extra lbs, and even worse, now you have the room to fill that monster with even more stuff you don't need and won't use to weigh you down further. Plus it gets harder to distribute weight properly in a pack when it''s only half full.

I could see going 55 to 60 liters...but 78?

Ahh...
He's 23 and just starting out. Better he hoof some extra weight around for a year or two and be comfortable and safe while learning what he needs/wants. :)

That being said, 4eyedbuzzard makes a good point. You will be tempted to fill that big pack with really unnecessary "stuff" - keep up your guard against that.

Have a great summer full of adventures.

Bearpaw
04-16-2008, 23:52
Kelty coyote 4750: 150.00

I know this one well. We call it the "scout pack" at my REI because so many scouts get it due to its easily adjustable torso and the options for pockets.

Don't worry if it's a bit big for now. If you enjoy backpacking and go a great deal, you'll be ready to make the investment to buy lighter/smaller as time goes by. For now, get out there and use your gear. And enjoy!

4eyedbuzzard
04-17-2008, 00:05
Not trying to be mean with my previous comment Drewbooty. Trust me on this point though, you will be very tempted to bring more "stuff" simply because you have the room.

envirodiver
04-17-2008, 01:05
Not trying to be mean with my previous comment Drewbooty. Trust me on this point though, you will be very tempted to bring more "stuff" simply because you have the room.

Everyone starts somewhere. Trick is to find your comfort level and get gear that works that you can afford.

ToyYoda
04-17-2008, 01:10
Oh, nah, I hear you. I'm really going to try to not add fluff. Honestly, with this huge thermarest, so much of this packs space is eaten up you cant imagine. Tightly packed its like 7" x 25".

It was more of an impulse... 20 bucks more than the 60 UL for the extra space and comfort.

Oh well.. this past week I was telling a friend I may take a month off and amtrak around the country, hitting national parks and getting drunk with locals. Or another country.. or something... who knows. The city is too fast for me some days, I just want to wind down.

So maybe I'll end up loading it up more than I think.

Bearpaw
04-17-2008, 01:15
The city is too fast for me some days, I just want to wind down.

Having been in Annapolis for four years, I can vouch that downtown Baltimore can definitely be too fast for more than an Orioles game, stroll of the inner harbor, and running as quickly as possible from The Block. Enjoy your time out there.

ToyYoda
04-17-2008, 01:22
But the block is my favorite. :eek:
Just kidding! :banana

Doesn't it blow your mind that the police station is literally a 3-4 second walk from the peep shows, strip clubs, and on occasion, hooker?

For those who don't know... its on the next block, across the street. You can throw one of those girls and hit a police cruiser.

I saw a guy get picked up by 2 undercovers 3-4 days ago on president and pratt. Maybe a block and half from the aquarium. One of them had full sleeve tattoos, cargo shorts, a band t-shirt, and was driving an explorer or something. I heard him shout out to the radio he was smoking a crack pipe while his buddy cuffed him.

ToyYoda
04-17-2008, 01:24
Sorry for double post.. can't edit.

Your location says TN, is that where you are now?

Bearpaw
04-17-2008, 01:44
Sorry for double post.. can't edit.

Your location says TN, is that where you are now?

Yep, Nash Vegas...

Wags
04-17-2008, 12:30
hey bro sounds like you're well on your way! i've heard many great things about both tents you're looking at. imo you won't go wrong w/ either one. keep your eyes peeled for good deals (steepandcheap.com, etc) and pick one up. honestly, with a big shift from tents to tarps and hammocks over the past few years, you may be able to get a used one for a really good price!
*side note on tent: is your girl planning on coming w/ you on any of these adventures? if so you should look into a 2 person tent imo. you can always pick up a 1 person for solos later on, when budget allows it...

have you considered just strapping your thermie on the outside of your pack? you'd have to have it in some kind of protective sack (to keep it from getting mini-holes by jaggers and such), but it may really free up a lot of room in your pack for stuff you really don't want exposed to the elements. if it fits fine in your new pack then disregard the suggestion...

i lived at UMD for a year back in 2000. i can definitely relate to the traffic :o

twosticks
04-17-2008, 13:41
I walked around REI w/ 30lbs in it for about 2hrs killing time cause of DC/rockville traffic..

Just for future reference, you should go to the REI in college park. You won't have to fight the beltway. Plus it's almost never busy.

Blissful
04-17-2008, 13:59
You're looking at two good tents.

budforester
04-17-2008, 14:19
Oh well.. this past week I was telling a friend I may take a month off and amtrak around the country, hitting national parks and getting drunk with locals. Or another country.. or something... who knows. The city is too fast for me some days, I just want to wind down.

Ahh, to be 23 again...

SteveJ
04-17-2008, 16:52
The ultralite a-sym from hennessy looks cool. But I'm a big dude and worried it will snap on me at 2am or something.

How big? I've been hammocking in mine for almost 5 yrs, and I weigh around 215.....

MamaCat
04-17-2008, 18:39
I'm still about 150.00 under budget. I think I may exceed budget, since I bought the heavier pack I want to go lighter on the tent and I'm now looking at the MSR Hubba or Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1. Both are about 250.00

I wanted to add -- really consider a tarptent. There has been a really good thread lately on them. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35536&highlight=tarptent . Both tent options you listed are good. I have a Big Agnes Emerald Mtn 3 for hubby and me. Lots of room for a good pack weight and no condensation. But if I had it to do again, I think I would tarptent for less weight. And, I still might get one after my cost per backpack is lower on the tent. I also want to try hammocks :-)

ToyYoda
04-17-2008, 20:01
I'm worried about getting soaked :P

and, well... creepy crawlers. :)

ToyYoda
04-17-2008, 20:08
guess I had the wrong idea about tarp tents..

this one seems nice.

http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html

tlbj6142
04-18-2008, 09:58
and, well... creepy crawlers. :)Obviously, you had tarps and tarptents mixed up (which is understandable). But, I will say that once you get past the fear of "creepy crawlers", tarps are really nice. Nothing beats having that ever so slight breeze blowing past your face while you are sleeping on an otherwise still night. That is one of the things I always look forward to on my trips. You just don't get that from an enclosed shelter (tent, tarptent, hammock with sewn-on netting, etc.).

Ronnie Motrose
04-21-2008, 06:28
heres what you need to do ....... go down and and hang out at the des plaines river, cuddle with the cougar family and live wild ....... then take the huge leap to the applachian trail and get ready for a funtastic month while you smoke dope for the first time. After about 3 weeks you will want acceserories (which I won't get into here) but they usaully have insertion qualites. Such as inserting food in your mouth, un tangling braids, insert food in your mouth, twisting braids etc.....

ToyYoda
04-21-2008, 14:49
heres what you need to do ....... go down and and hang out at the des plaines river, cuddle with the cougar family and live wild ....... then take the huge leap to the applachian trail and get ready for a funtastic month while you smoke dope for the first time. After about 3 weeks you will want acceserories (which I won't get into here) but they usaully have insertion qualites. Such as inserting food in your mouth, un tangling braids, insert food in your mouth, twisting braids etc.....

:-?

:confused:

:banana

Blissful
04-21-2008, 14:51
If you are worried about creepy crawlies, don't stay in shelters for sure.

ToyYoda
04-21-2008, 14:54
If you are worried about creepy crawlies, don't stay in shelters for sure.

spiders.. cant do spiders.

the rest I can deal. just... spiders.......

I blame my mother for this. Who takes their young child to see arachnophobia in theater???

Damn you Jeff Daniels... damn you to hell.

Bare Bear
04-21-2008, 15:07
I used shoelace thick (1/16 inch ???) streachy cord to loop/tie through the six strap attachment points on the back. TIE the top loop of the tent to the top comprssion strap. Hang the tent vertically. Then use the streach cords to keep it from swinging around or it will drive you nuts cathcihing on trees, brush etc.

ToyYoda
04-22-2008, 15:04
I've again switched packs. I couldnt pass up the osprey aether 60 for sale in used gear for 135... back to REI... shame they dont sell tarptents. I'd just swap the bag for a contrail. I may order the contrail this week, and try to hit an overnighter next weekend. I think I got about everything.
pack
sleeping bag
sleeping pad
headlamp
stove (picked up zelph's starlyte, will try this and the pocketrocket to see which I like before I head out, should have the starlyte by thursday)
pot
msr dromedary 10L w/ hydration hose
msr filterclothes for overnighter:
2 underwear
2 socks
1 shirt
1 shorts
1 light wind breaker
1 long johns/thermal underwear (i generally sleep warm, but if I get cold I'll stay cold)misc:
knife
map of route
lighter
TP
toothbrush / paste
duct tapeFood:
gorp
2 freezer bag dinners (i will get back to my car pretty late so i will just cook dinner in the parking lot lol)
2 eggs for breakfast.. I get them from an amish food market so they will go a LONG time un-refrigerated since they are so fresh.
not sure what to do for lunch
need:
nylon rope to hang food in stuff sack
compass
waterproof matchesprobably missing something..?

Wags
04-22-2008, 16:01
i'd just hang it in a stuff sack for now. you can always pick up something fancy later on. local army/navy surplus stores are good places to find cheap parachord.

walmart for compass. there's other ways to tell which general direction you are going if you don't get this right away

shovel for what? - knife should be able to cover anything you need a shovel for, if not a rock or stick.

don't forget your food (and something to eat it w/. didn't see any utensils)! hehe. i'd bring a backup fire starter. just incase you lose your lighter or it fails to work for w/e reason. bug spray maybe, they're out already around here. also a simple 1st aid kit would be recommended. also recommend a trash bag/compactor bag for inside your pack. the spring is notorious for being unpredictable around yours and my parts of the woods...

ToyYoda
04-22-2008, 20:22
shovel to dig a hole to dump in? haha, guess a stick would work. can knock that off the list.

I have bug spray and a 1st aid kit, just forgot to list it. I will line my bag with a trash bag.

Mercy
04-23-2008, 15:57
Don't forget the duct tape!

Toothbrush?

Mercy

RuffianPoet
04-24-2008, 13:07
Toy Yoda,
I also have the REI UL45. I love it. That said, it does take some finagling to get stuff packed properly. Some things I do to get everything to fit:
1. down sleeping bag in small stuffsack
2. small single-wall tent (I hate the idea of bugs/other creepies crawling over me as would happen in with a tarp)
3. water bottles in outside pockets--not carrying a dromedary bag (what do you need 10L for anyway?? lighten that up!)
4. not using a stuffsack for extra clothes--just stuff them down into the pack where ever they fit
5. folding my sleeping pad against my back; not rolling it up (i have a BA air core--it folds nicely)
6. taking less-bulky foods and no excess packaging
7. fitting stove, pot holder, fuel canister & lighter inside my pot (take the small fuel canisters if using a canister stove)
8. using the external and lid pockets for small, misc. items (1st aid kit, notepad, TP, etc.) instead of stuffing them all into a stuff sack and trying to fit *that* into the pack

I was out in PA last weekend and found that I didn't need long johns. Take a look at the local forecast and make a judgment call. (also, if you're going to cook dinner at your car, don't carry the extra dinner--that should save some weight & bulk too!)

ToyYoda
04-24-2008, 14:15
The 10L I got in the used gear forum for 17.00, cheaper than the smallest one new. I just wont be filling it all the way. What's that like 3gallons? Yeah, no way I'm carrying like 25lbs of water. Ha ha.

Yeah, I will be leaving the extra food in my car for when I return. The long johns are super light, I dont mind carrying them.

I think later once I really get used to my gear and everything I may go smaller on the pack, but I think the 60L will be perfect for me to go weekends/multiple nights with. I kinda like having the extra padding of a not so UL pack too.

Don't forget the duct tape!

Toothbrush?

Mercy
Whats a toothbrush?

JK. I am definitely forgetting to list some MISC items. Deoderant, duct tape, toothbrush/paste....

ToyYoda
05-05-2008, 11:14
Ok... I got a tent!

I wanted the seedhouse sl2 or a tarptent, but yesterday when I was at REI I saw the half dome 2 hc on sale for 109, even though 1.5-2lbs heavier, I figured at that price I could deal and it was decent sized. My buddy and I fit fine in it.. with enough room for packs and etc we think. It will be tight overall, but we are only sleeping in it so whatever.

The pack is a little big, but I compressed it a little bit and was much more manageable, just have to slide the poles down the side of my pack.

It setup really quick, but I have a few complaints.. the rainfly vents suck, theres no way to keep them open and out, and I dont think it comes with enough stakes/guylines. Well, it works, but if I had like 2 more I could have gotten the rainfly really nice and taut.

sofaking
05-05-2008, 11:19
set your tent up taut and hose it down on a nice sunny day and let it dry...see if it sags noticeably, it shouldn't.

ToyYoda
05-05-2008, 11:36
I'll give that a go.

Next night I have off work I'll spend the night in it. lol

The footprint is on sale for 18 bucks, should I pick it up or find some tyvek and cut a piece to fit? where would I get tyvek? lowes/home depot?

sofaking
05-05-2008, 12:32
tyvek- constuction site, ask nicely, hablo if you have to...

Odd Thomas
05-05-2008, 13:05
spiders.. cant do spiders.

the rest I can deal. just... spiders.......

I blame my mother for this. Who takes their young child to see arachnophobia in theater???

Damn you Jeff Daniels... damn you to hell.

Fear of snakes and spiders are a sign of an evolved brain according to many researchers. Our brains hit an evolution spurt about the same time in history that snakes and spiders were a great threat, and much of our intelligence is believed to have evolved to facilitate extreme nesting behaviors, domestic hygiene, and advanced shelter construction and engineering, to deal with this threat.

http://www.amazon.com/Enchanted-Loom-Mind-Universe-Touchstone/dp/067147068X
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/10/1004_snakefears.html
http://www.primatesociety.com/Into/survival/timeline/textEvol.html

ToyYoda
05-05-2008, 13:27
I always knew I was destined for greatness.

I'm not afraid of snakes though.

Odd Thomas
05-05-2008, 13:42
I'm not afraid of snakes though.

Caveman. :p

ToyYoda
05-05-2008, 15:37
Caveman. :p

http://www.johnlehr.com/images/caveman-comm.jpg

:banana

Wags
05-05-2008, 23:42
hey bro nice score of the half dome! can't argue w/ a solid shelter for ~$110... i think it's probably best you didn't get the seedhouse. i've heard they're quite crammed for 2. i ended up getting a different series of BA tent b/c of that.

Marta
05-06-2008, 06:39
Snakes, spiders....and yet another reason to have an enclosed shelter--slugs!

In my Tarptents, I can see their silhouettes from the inside, give 'em a flick, and away they fly.

ToyYoda
05-06-2008, 08:55
hey bro nice score of the half dome! can't argue w/ a solid shelter for ~$110... i think it's probably best you didn't get the seedhouse. i've heard they're quite crammed for 2. i ended up getting a different series of BA tent b/c of that.

yeah, the ba is dope but a bit smaller in terms of width at the bottom, I didnt think it would be an issue until we both laid down in the half dome.. then I realized the decreased foot area we would have been screwed. lol

ToyYoda
05-06-2008, 19:32
Alright folks, looks like I'm at 19lbs pack weight.. maybe 19.5 or 20- my scale sucks. but anyhow, somewhere in there. Thats all my gear, plus 3 days clothes and 1 day of (real) food... including a few protein bars and some clif shots.

w/ 2 more days food I'm thinking another .5lb? I'll weigh my food later and do the math, or just make up 2 more days worth and weigh it all. 2litres of water is 4lbs I believe.

So I guess I'm looking at 25-26lbs ready to rock for a few days worth of clothes and food. How does that seem?

Blissful
05-06-2008, 20:48
Sounds good. Have fun!

theinfamousj
05-10-2008, 21:25

I rented the Half Dome from REI before purchasing the Seedhouse SL2. After using both with the same companion, I have to say that they are equally cramped-inducing, though due to different amounts of squish. In other words, you are shoulder to shoulder with your mate in both tents, but in one of them, your shoulders overlap (Seedhouse) and in the other they barely touch (Half Dome).

:: thinks :: Or am I thinking about the quarter dome? Anyone know what tent REI rents you when you say that you need a tent for two people?

@ OP - To get those vents to stay open, there is a velcro strip with a bit of metal in it. You have to velcro-prop it open using the metal as a mini pole. I discovered that by saying, "I wonder what this piece of velcro does." It doesn't look like there is metal inside. You'll understand what I mean once you find it.

sofaking
05-10-2008, 21:29
i used to have the half dome. it was great for me, my girl and our two dogs in the winter...i didn't particularly care for the vent or the plexi window, but they weren't a problem

ToyYoda
05-10-2008, 22:51
I rented the Half Dome from REI before purchasing the Seedhouse SL2. After using both with the same companion, I have to say that they are equally cramped-inducing, though due to different amounts of squish. In other words, you are shoulder to shoulder with your mate in both tents, but in one of them, your shoulders overlap (Seedhouse) and in the other they barely touch (Half Dome).

:: thinks :: Or am I thinking about the quarter dome? Anyone know what tent REI rents you when you say that you need a tent for two people?

@ OP - To get those vents to stay open, there is a velcro strip with a bit of metal in it. You have to velcro-prop it open using the metal as a mini pole. I discovered that by saying, "I wonder what this piece of velcro does." It doesn't look like there is metal inside. You'll understand what I mean once you find it.
Hmm... I saw the velcro, assumed that was for it to stay closed. I didn't inspect it too closely, just finagled with it for a minute or two and deemed it unusable. I'll look at it closer. Maybe I"m thinking of the wrong velcro.

Wags
05-12-2008, 01:36
should be a stiff piece of velcro on the fly. it'll prop open a little triangle of the fly to allow some airflow :D

hopefully there's at least 2 of these

Captain
05-12-2008, 10:00
personaly ( and i realize this might havebeen settled 6 pages ago BUT) what im doing is putting my mat inside my bag and my bag inside my tent and my tent on its foot print and rolling it all up together strapping it to the outside of the pack and using a large pack cover to compensate the "larger" size from the bulky roll whats the purpose of the roll you say? oh gee its starting to rain SWOOSH ::pulls roll from the back and in one heave it all unfurls together throwing his pack inside before staking the tent down and dives inside mere seconds before it starts to down pour:: WWWWWWWIIIIZZZAAARRD!!!

ToyYoda
05-12-2008, 10:15
well, i'm selling the thermarest to a buddy, I picked up the big agnes yampa 40 in the buy/sell, and went out and grabbed a insulated air core to go with. way more comfortable than the therma. so that folds up very small and will fit inside. nothing will be on the outside now.

I shaved like 2lbs with this switch of bag/pad. however, i kept forgetting to weigh my camera in my pack weight, so just toss that 2lbs back on.. maybe even add a lb. I'm going to decide on one lens to take to minimize weight, but the body is heavy as hell anyway. I can get by 2-3 days w/ one battery thank god.

OwlsRevenge
05-13-2008, 20:56
personaly ( and i realize this might havebeen settled 6 pages ago BUT) what im doing is putting my mat inside my bag and my bag inside my tent and my tent on its foot print and rolling it all up together strapping it to the outside of the pack and using a large pack cover to compensate the "larger" size from the bulky roll whats the purpose of the roll you say? oh gee its starting to rain SWOOSH ::pulls roll from the back and in one heave it all unfurls together throwing his pack inside before staking the tent down and dives inside mere seconds before it starts to down pour:: WWWWWWWIIIIZZZAAARRD!!!

I haven't laughed so hard in a week.

( Oh, and you can bet I'm trying this next time I'm out...:))

Captain
05-13-2008, 22:24
I haven't laughed so hard in a week.

( Oh, and you can bet I'm trying this next time I'm out...:))

only works with solo tents im also thinking of perm. sewing the stakes into the loops to make set up even faster

sofaking
05-13-2008, 23:00
only works with solo tents im also thinking of perm. sewing the stakes into the loops to make set up even faster
no.no.no...

Captain
05-14-2008, 19:07
maybe i should also get an epi-pen

Hooch
05-14-2008, 19:33
So the stakes can puncture holes in the tent while in carry mode. Good thinking, Honcho. :rolleyes:

SunnyWalker
05-15-2008, 19:52
The HH all have indicators as to weight limits. No fear of snapping or breaking if you purchase one that will be able to handle your weight.

Ender3D
12-03-2008, 22:52
Frankly, I have no idea what folks carrying in their 60L packs that fill them up, cannonballs (http://www.rayjardine.com/papers/cannonballs.htm)?

Better/ more food???

I'm loving the UL 60 (only think the compressing cord is a bit lacking)after switching from an ATI 90L pack. In my early foolishness I was packing in close to 60 ponds of gear. Then I met some through hikers down in Shenandoah and realized that I'd never be packing that much weight around again.