PDA

View Full Version : Yay!!

EZ4300
04-07-2008, 22:46
Greetings all!

I just wanted to share my good news. I just got a job that will be in Shenandoah National Park, and will be right next to the AT. I have been wanting to thru-hike for years now, but just could never make it work. But I am happy to say that this season I will be able to meet some of you as you make your way into that section. My goal is to do the whole section within the park(at least). I may only be able to do it on my weekends, but I guess I cant be too picky. At least I will be hiking. Thanks for reading, I was to excited not to share the news.:banana

Well thats it really, happy hiking and safe travels.

Montego
04-07-2008, 22:52
Congratulations! Let the dreams begin http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs082.gif

Lyle
04-07-2008, 23:10
Congratulations. Sounds like a fantastic way to spend you summer, or is this a permanent-type job? Either way you have some great hiking to look forward to.

I've hiked most or all of the park on several occasions and always enjoyed it. Once to test out my back after a very severe injury. Another time I got into one of the worst blizzards I've been out in while hiking Shenandoah one November, holed up at the Gravel Springs Hut for two days, then hiked the Skyline Drive out as the trail was impassable (2 feet of snow and low/broken branches due to snow and ice). A couple times it was just a "walk in the park". :-)

You'll enjoy.

Philippe
04-07-2008, 23:37
When the dancing banana comes out, it's always good news. What a great opportunity for a young man. Will you be somewhere that we can stop in and say hi? Have a great time while you can.

sofaking
04-08-2008, 00:47
what is the job? you got all excited and didn't mention it...

Mini-Mosey
04-08-2008, 06:43
That is really cool.

EZ4300
04-08-2008, 09:45
Oops, sorry I didn't tell ya, my laptop battery was going dead. I will be working as a ranger in the park. Fee collection when people enter the park. I am pretty sure I will also be registering AT hikers as they come into the park on some days. I am going to be stationed at Rock Fish gap (I am pretty sure) and will be staying near the Loft Mt. Campground, I will not know exactly where I am living until I get there. This will be the first year I am working in this area so I don't know whats all around, but I am up for meeting all ya folks and hanging out. Only 3 weeks left till I get there.

When should I expect to see some hikers?

See ya on the trail!

Thoughtful Owl
04-08-2008, 11:43
Nice! So you are going to be at the southern end. You should start see some hikers when you arrive in 3 weeks. I have met a couple on the trail here in central VA. Maybe I see you out there.

X-LinkedHiker
04-08-2008, 11:44
Yeah, sounds great. Hopefully I can snag a job like that when I get out west somewhere. Oregon, Washington?

Lyle
04-08-2008, 12:01
Met a seasonal ranger on Isle Royale one year. He would work his summers there and in the Winter he would work in the Everglades. Had been doing that for several years and loved it.

Best of Luck.

Whoa Bear
04-08-2008, 12:02
I am going to be stationed at Rock Fish gap (I am pretty sure) and will be staying near the Loft Mt. Campground, I will not know exactly where I am living until I get there.
See ya on the trail!

That's my end of the park. I expect that I will see you a bunch of times over the summer since my wife and I do a lot of hiking in the southern end of the park.

TOW
04-08-2008, 12:03
Greetings all!
Thanks for reading, I was to excited not to share the news.:banana
Well thats it really, happy hiking and safe travels.
I am happy that you are happy............:sun

sofaking
04-08-2008, 12:21
congrats, sounds like you'll have an interesting summer.