PDA

View Full Version : Handful Cooking

mkmangold
04-08-2008, 00:54
Summarizing many of my earlier posts, I am really interested in "Handful Cooking." Let me explain: it would involve boiling 2 cups of water with a "base ingredient." After boiling, remove from heat, wrap in cozy, and add "dry ingredient(s)." Wait 20 minutes, add the "finishing touch" and chew away. For example, 2 handfuls of oatmeal in 2 cups of water. Boil. Add raisins or craisins. Cozy on up. After 20 minutes, add powdered milk and powdered honey or sugar. Eat. Again, macaroni noodles, beef jerky, parmesan cheese, and salt.
I'd really like to make a cookbook of Handful recipes. I'm also looking for a source of powdered tomatoes. I figure that lugging around powdered anything is better that carrying the liquid, whether oil or water. Also, think of the environmental implications of this: if we can sustain ourselves on handfuls of anything from ziploc bags instead of instant that or single-wrapped that...

crinklroot
04-08-2008, 08:55
You might take a gander at freezerbagcooking.com and Linda Yaffe's book on dehydrating meals.

Toolshed
04-08-2008, 09:49
Summarizing many of my earlier posts, I am really interested in "Handful Cooking." Let me explain: it would involve boiling 2 cups of water with a "base ingredient." After boiling, remove from heat, wrap in cozy, and add "dry ingredient(s)." Wait 20 minutes, add the "finishing touch" and chew away. For example, 2 handfuls of oatmeal in 2 cups of water. Boil. Add raisins or craisins. Cozy on up. After 20 minutes, add powdered milk and powdered honey or sugar. Eat. Again, macaroni noodles, beef jerky, parmesan cheese, and salt.....
Been doing it for a lota years - Especially in winter. First time I've heard if called Handful cooking?? Are you trying to copyright this or something? :D

Shadowmoss
04-08-2008, 09:53
Tomato powder, check Harmony House, Be Prepared, or any of the other places folks get dehydrated and/or freeze dried bulk ingredients.

Lyle
04-08-2008, 10:36
Tomatoes are fairly easy to dry with a dehydrator. Once they are dry, place them in a blender - wah-la, powdered tomatoes.

Strategic
04-08-2008, 10:43
For tomato powder, check out Walton Feed (http://waltonfeed.com/) (also known as Rainy Day Foods.) They have a lot of interesting dry ingredients in bulk, not just vegetables but dairy products, cheese (including 100% dry cheddar powder!), meat substitutes and a lot else. They pack the foods well, for long term storage (good for those of us who make trailfood for one all the time) and are very easy to deal with. They also have organic pasta in bulk. Their vegetables are interesting too; they have things that are hard to find elsewhere and they largely do their own production of dried ingredients.

The website is a bit convoluted and weird to navigate, but you can find a wealth of stuff there. They even have a nutritional calculator and all their FDA food labels online (and the calculator is fantastic for working out just what you're getting from your food.) Don't be put off because they're survivalists, they're nice folks and won't send you anything weird (or sell your name to anyone.)

X-LinkedHiker
04-08-2008, 11:42
Ramen noodles!

envirodiver
04-08-2008, 13:01
Tomatoes are fairly easy to dry with a dehydrator. Once they are dry, place them in a blender - wah-la, powdered tomatoes.

And much tastier than the store-bought versions.

sarbar
04-08-2008, 21:23
Harmony House Foods online would be your friend. Their precooked beans and veggies are easy and the best around :) Not a big fan of store bought dried tomatoes - but wow, theirs are good!

chili36
04-09-2008, 14:07
Penderys.com is a good source for dehydrated veggies.

mkmangold
04-09-2008, 14:14
I'm much obligated for all of the info. Still trying to make a list of recipes. And NO I am not looking to copyright the name...
although now that you mention it, it can be!