PDA

View Full Version : Best Convertible Pants.....?

88BlueGT
04-08-2008, 03:34
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some good recommendations for convertible pants. Some obvious things that I am considering are pocket size, weight, durability and reliability (of material & zippers, etc.), etc. Any recommendations for me? Money isnt too much of a concern. I rather pay the extra cash if I can get a better product that will be lighter or more durable, etc.

RedneckRye
04-08-2008, 03:41
Find the ones that fit your body best and disregard whatever the internets tell you.
Just my $.02 as a guy that has worked at a gear shop for the last decade and puts people into clothing and gear so that they can wear it, touch it and compare it and not rely solely on whatever they have "learned" on the internets.

Doughnut
04-08-2008, 07:25
I am very pleased with Columbia Brand - I bought 2 pair at Bass Pro in Macon on sale.

DoughNut

rpettit
04-08-2008, 08:23
I have had a pair of REI Sahara's for 8 years. They have held up through a lot of bushwacking. I know that they cost $55, but I think that after 8 years and still going, I definitely got my money's worth out of them.

Kerosene
04-08-2008, 08:33
I'll second the Columbia convertibles I bought probably 7 years ago. At 11 ounces for a men's Medium they're the lightest I've found by far.

Alligator
04-08-2008, 08:59
I'm going to follow up on what Redneckrye said and foremost make sure the pants fit. While the pants have a range of waist sizes, the inseam lengths are often fixed. Be careful if you are an odd size. You may need to hem them. Also, keep on eye on materials, I've seen quite a few of brands made with cotton.

bulldog49
04-08-2008, 09:09
I have had a pair of REI Sahara's for 8 years. They have held up through a lot of bushwacking. I know that they cost $55, but I think that after 8 years and still going, I definitely got my money's worth out of them.

I also wear the REI Saharas. Fit me well and dry extremely fast.

Jim Adams
04-08-2008, 09:12
I have TNF, REI, campmor cheap model, campmor expensive model, Exofficio and Columbia.
Definitely buy what fits and feels best to you. All of the above fit me fine but I really like the cheap campmor and the Columbia the best...don't know why...they just "feel" the best. All of them have held up very good.

geek

wakapak
04-08-2008, 09:17
I have TNF, REI, campmor cheap model, campmor expensive model, Exofficio and Columbia.
Definitely buy what fits and feels best to you. All of the above fit me fine but I really like the cheap campmor and the Columbia the best...don't know why...they just "feel" the best. All of them have held up very good.

geek

are those what you have used during your thru's??? i have to retire the old shorts i used both in 99 and 02!! :eek:

Hooch
04-08-2008, 09:32
I'll give a third nod to the REI Saharas. In my experience, they fit true to size, the zippers work well, the pocket space is more than most folks need and they don't break the bank. But, recommendation aside, you're better off going to an outfitter and trying on pants to see what fits and works best. If you have an REI near you, I definitely give them a thumbs up.

Uncle B
04-08-2008, 09:47
I've personally had good experiences with Ex Officio's Amphi™ Convertible Pants. They are made of extremely fast-drying Nycott -- 100% Nylon, treated with Teflon® for water and stain resistance. They are very light 3oz/sq yrd and hold up well.

http://www.exofficio.com/product_details.aspx?item_cd=1022-6503&key=53fb5f1e-a48f-49de-9248-772567ad3d7b

take-a-knee
04-08-2008, 09:58
Find the ones that fit your body best and disregard whatever the internets tell you.
Just my $.02 as a guy that has worked at a gear shop for the last decade and puts people into clothing and gear so that they can wear it, touch it and compare it and not rely solely on whatever they have "learned" on the internets.

I agree, and having said that the REI Sahara's fit me better than anything else I've tried (North Face and ExOfficio). They go on sale a few times each year for less than $40.

mudhead
04-08-2008, 10:16
Don't most convertibles have a long inseam?

I have always felt they might be cool, but do not tolerate stuff on the thigh well.

88BlueGT
04-08-2008, 10:46
Unfortunately, I don't have an REI thats close to me so I'm going to have to shoot for an EMS and see what they have. If I don't like anything there I'll take a ride to an REI somewhere to try out the Saharas.

Ashman
04-08-2008, 10:47
I'm a bit of an REI junkie but the pants I am using right now I bought from the Great Outdoor Provision company. They are "fly fishing pants" The legs zip off got great pockets, made of "swimsuit" like material dries real fast. Got them on clearance at the "end of season" right before a hike last fall.

Hooch
04-08-2008, 10:50
Don't most convertibles have a long inseam?

I have always felt they might be cool, but do not tolerate stuff on the thigh well.The REI Sahara pants come in 28, 30 and 32 inch inseams. The extended sizes also come in 34 and 36 inch inseams.

PJ 2005
04-08-2008, 11:54
Why on earth would you need pants?

88BlueGT
04-08-2008, 12:21
Because its still pretty cold, especially during the night. And I would like to have them for next year also :)

Hooch
04-08-2008, 12:34
Why on earth would you need pants?Because hiking equipment and clothing is not a "one size fits all" endeavor. What works for you may not work for others. 'Nuff said.

Sly
04-08-2008, 12:36

When it's cold out, ticks, mosquitoes, etc? :rolleyes: They're not just pants, they're also shorts.

envirodiver
04-08-2008, 12:44
I also wear the REI convertibles and like them a lot. The Columbia and Ex-Officio look good also. The Ex-officio have a built in mesh underwear, I believe. TNF convertibles may be good for winter, but seem a little heavier.

If you don't find what you want from EMS. You can order a pair from REI. They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. So they are easy to send back. Probably cheaper to pay shipping than buy gas to drive to a store.

ChinMusic
04-08-2008, 12:51
REI Sahara gets my vote as well. I wear these things most of the time even when off the trail.

The Cheat
04-08-2008, 13:03
These are the ones I have:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39171843&memberId=12500226&catalogId=40000000226

Nice and light, dry fast. I have two pairs, and I buy the child sizes for my kids. They feel like they will rip easy or wear out, but bushwacking through prickers and kneeling on rocks/dirt haven't worn them out yet.

88BlueGT
04-08-2008, 13:17
^^^ Those look nice, like the design, like the colors and I really like the weight.

I was looking at the TNF Paramounts or whatever but they were like 1lb 3 or 4oz's. I'm really not trying to carry pants that heavy you know. I think with the good prices of the campmor ones, I'm going to try them out for now and see how I like them. If I like em, I'll keep them. If not, I'll send them back and get the Sahara's. Thanks alot guys for all the help. Still open to durable, lightweight suggestions :)

4eyedbuzzard
04-08-2008, 13:31
Mountain Hardware Mesa http://www.rockcreek.com/products/listing/item11166.asp?ref=RCO_googlebase

REI has them also I think. The shorts inseam is a couple inches longer than most. Depends how long you like your shorts. Not the cheapest either.

FlimFlam
04-08-2008, 13:54
http://www.kuhl-usa.com/mconvertible.html

I know they sell them at Hudson Trail Outfitters. Not sure if you have a HTO near you.

Obviously you want to try them on before you plunk down some cold hard cash.....but I have a pair and they're very versatile. Hiking, biking, camping, standing, sitting, lying down, they work. I've never had them fall off or spontaneously combust on me. Unlike my last pair of pants.

+ Lightweight (haven't weighed them though)
+ Durable (have had mine for several years in all sorts of conditions and they're still going strong)
+ Comfortable (that's my #1 priority when I get pants)

- Price

StepChld
04-08-2008, 14:05
REI Sahara gets my vote as well. I wear these things most of the time even when off the trail.I must say I really like REI's return policy, although I've never returned anything. Two weeks ago or so, REI had their "garage sale" and I picked up a pair of these exact pants for an incredible sum of $9 and some change. On the tag was written, "Customer didn't like the fit". Well I sure like the fit...and the price!:banana

rpettit
04-08-2008, 14:20
I must say I really like REI's return policy, although I've never returned anything. Two weeks ago or so, REI had their "garage sale" and I picked up a pair of these exact pants for an incredible sum of $9 and some change. On the tag was written, "Customer didn't like the fit". Well I sure like the fit...and the price!:banana
I'm jealous.

88BlueGT
04-08-2008, 14:30
Yea, ME TO! :) Nice find!

bkrownd
04-08-2008, 14:47

That might work in the big city, but those of use who live in remote rural areas do rely on the "internets" to get our infos and our stuffs.

I got Columbia silver ridge convertibles. Nice light fabric, though the belt buckle needs some rework to be grippy enough to keep the belt tightened under load.

weary
04-08-2008, 15:29
I'll give a third nod to the REI Saharas. In my experience, they fit true to size, the zippers work well, the pocket space is more than most folks need and they don't break the bank. But, recommendation aside, you're better off going to an outfitter and trying on pants to see what fits and works best. If you have an REI near you, I definitely give them a thumbs up.
I'm not much for "convertible" things. But a few years ago I bought two pairs from an LL Bean factory store for $7 each. I've worn them nine months a year ever since. They are still going strong. The stretchy waist sizes were a bit underminant -- small, medium, large and extra large. But the inseam is labled 34 inches, which is why I bought them. Most outdoor manufacturers don't make stuff for us odd shaped people.

In general, I've had good luck with LL Bean clothing, though I never pay top price. Good Will stores in Maine get stuff from the company from time to time. My favorite jacket is from LL Bean/Good Will. I've worn it for 10 years. It cost $5 -- 50 cents a year so far. It probably has a few more years in it, though it needs washing badly.

Weary

Ramble~On
04-08-2008, 15:47
North Face Paramount. I mention them becuase they hold up forever and if you can find them in "New Taupe" they hide being dirty. I have a couple pairs of zip offs and like them all but the NF Paramounts seem to be my favorite.

88BlueGT
04-08-2008, 16:02
Yea, they did look nice. But I'm trying to lighten up my load and I'm honestly not willing to carry pants that are 1lb 4oz. Thats why the EMS Surplus's are appealing to me right now at 13oz.

mountain squid
04-08-2008, 16:25
Check these (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_52017_600005004_600000000_600005000_600-5-4) out. I think that is the pair I have. I like them, dry very quickly, lots of pockets for snacks, maps, etc. I just weighed mine at 13 oz.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Wags
04-08-2008, 16:31
track pants w/ zippers on the ankles. get enough ventilation (if not a safety pin makes these convertible clam diggers), no gay 2 inch inseam, and lighter than most 'convertible hiking pants'

i looked into convertibles, but seems like all the new products are getting terrible reviews. i'll just stick to my nike pants from marshalls, 10 bucks

peakbagger
04-08-2008, 16:45
Anyone ever notice that the threads wear out on these types of pants long before the fabric does? I have a couple of brands (sportiff that makes a lot or private labels and beans) of these that are 10 to 15 years old and I have to resew the seams every few years. Nylon tent reapir tape with a few stiches makes takes care of any rips (which happen very rarely)

Summit
04-08-2008, 17:41
I have REI convertible pants, probably the Sahara, but not sure. I have tried on a number of different brand convertibles, including some high-end expensive ones, only to find that the seam/zipper combination around the knee area really bothered me. Not so with the REI ones. They feel, fit, and work super! The front hand pockets could be deeper, but the cargo pockets and zippered back pockets (Correction: velcro closure back pockets) are great. I like the built-in belt which is very light and works great.

Skidsteer
04-08-2008, 18:01

Because I hike year round.

4eyedbuzzard
04-08-2008, 18:10

Beats hiking in open red oozing sores during black fly season.;) I'll put 'em on in the evening once it cools off as well.

Foyt20
04-08-2008, 18:49
Unfortunately, I don't have an REI thats close to me so I'm going to have to shoot for an EMS and see what they have. If I don't like anything there I'll take a ride to an REI somewhere to try out the Saharas.

Hey Man, head to MArlton, its not that bad of a ride :D

Mooselook Marty
04-08-2008, 19:29
I like the Ex Officio Amphi convertibles best, because:

They are very comfortable
They are extremely durable
They have lots of practical pockets
They have a nice mesh liner in the crotch (like a bathing suit), so I can skip wearing underwear and stay cooler in that region
The zippers are very easy to use, even after 6 years of hard use
They weigh 14 ounces for size large men's
Windproof, dry fastHere is a link: http://www.backcountry.com/store/EXO0266/Ex-Officio-Amphi-Convertible-Pant-Mens.html. You might be able to find a better price on line somewhere, of course.

Regards,
Marty

Summit
04-08-2008, 19:52
If price is a deciding factor, these Columbia ones at Campmor might do the trick:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?TM20080408&ctm=1-C200347448&catalogId=40000000226&categoryId=200347448&&storeId=226&langId=-1&memberId=12500226

Although I got my REI Sahara ($55) ones on sale for $35.

OutdoorsMan
04-08-2008, 23:05
Here are two alternatives not yet mentioned - find a local Boy Scout supply store in your area. These are usually a corner or a back room of some business that supports Scouting. Try on the "Switchback" pants. They are very durable, quick drying and light weight. i think they are about $40. You don't need to be a Scout to buy/wear them. These also include a belt that is nice/lightweight.

While in Atlanta last week i went into a KOHL's store for the first time ever. They have convertible pants for $25. They don't have they ankle zippers so if you buy some that are too long, they should be easy to hem (unlike the Scout Switchbacks that have ankle zippers and can't be hemmed).

Wags
04-08-2008, 23:17
heard bad things about the columbias and TNF's new convertibles. supposedly really crappy material/construction

88BlueGT
04-08-2008, 23:27
No, money really isnt a factor. I never have a problem paying extra for quality. I rather buy them once for $70 than buy them twice for $35.

88BlueGT
04-08-2008, 23:28
I forgot that there was a store in Marlton. I'll have to check them out sometimes, never been there.......

Sly
04-08-2008, 23:31
No, money really isnt a factor. I never have a problem paying extra for quality. I rather buy them once for $70 than buy them twice for $35.

I try to get Ex Officio on sale but you're probably better off buying two pair of the Campmor brand at the same time.

88BlueGT
04-09-2008, 22:44
I ended up going to EMS and picking up a pair of their EMS Profile's. After trying on a few pair I found these, comming in at 14.2oz its not that bad. They seem to be pretty comfortable also. Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it.

Summit
04-09-2008, 22:58
Hope they work out well for ya! ;)

Skidsteer
04-09-2008, 23:05
While in Atlanta last week i went into a KOHL's store for the first time ever. They have convertible pants for $25. They don't have they ankle zippers so if you buy some that are too long, they should be easy to hem (unlike the Scout Switchbacks that have ankle zippers and can't be hemmed).

The Kohl pants are 70% cotton. Fair warning.

Seeker
04-09-2008, 23:09
I've never had them fall off or spontaneously combust on me. Unlike my last pair of pants.

ok... i've waited long enough for someone else to take the bait... here's a quarter... now what's the rest of the story?!:D

88BlueGT
04-10-2008, 00:09
Thanks for the heads up with the Kohls pants. This is my first pair of full nylon pants and to be completely honest they felt a little wierd and seemed as if the material was sticking to the lower half of my legs from static energy or something lol but I can live with it. I was going to get the EMS Surplus pants which felt a little better but they were well over a lb and like 60% cotton so I passed. Im pretty sure Ill be happy though, they feel really nice just as shorts though.

Cherokee Bill
04-10-2008, 16:07
I am very pleased with Columbia Brand - I bought 2 pair at Bass Pro in Macon on sale.

DoughNut

Amen. I have a bunch of Columbia items, including a few pair of convertable pants, worth every penny I've spent :D Columbia is my prefered brand ;)

Skidsteer
04-10-2008, 17:40
Bass pro carries a brand called World Wide Sportsman. They usually have two, sometimes three models ranging in price.

About four years ago I bought six pair of the high end convertibles made from Supplex. They're still going strong. Unfortunately WWS seems to have altered the cut of these pants and the latest version doesn't fit me near as well. Too tight in the thighs.

They still seem to be a quality product however so I thought I'd throw it out there.

NorthCountryWoods
04-13-2008, 08:17
North Face Paramount. I mention them becuase they hold up forever and if you can find them in "New Taupe" they hide being dirty. I have a couple pairs of zip offs and like them all but the NF Paramounts seem to be my favorite.

I have the older TNF ones, not sure the name, but they gotta be 10 years old and are still going strong. They are a light grey tho so look dirty all the time. They also are longer than most as shorts. I don't do daisy dukes.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-13-2008, 08:43
I have Campmor, REI, and Columbia lighter-weight - of the three Campmor is the best IMO. The Columbia are cut in a way that makes them ride up on women with some 'junk in the trunk' and the REI zippers jam a lot. The Campmor never rides up, zippers work reliably and they come in size Fluffy Dino :D

wakapak
04-13-2008, 08:51
i've been trying on some convertible pants the past week, and the annoying thing to me is that when i zip off the leg, the shorts seem to be shorter than i'd like (i'm picky about this!). the only ones i was able to try on so far were two different types at EMS and TNF (didnt like the feel of the material of the TNF ones). The longer EMS ones weren't too bad, but they seemed a bit bulky due to more zippers and velcro on the thighs with more pockets than i need!!
I'm looking for Columbia ones to try on...hopefully i find em soon!!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-13-2008, 09:19
The Campmor women's pants (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39171885) have a longer shorts inseam than most - hit me about 2/3 of the way to the knee in the long length (I'm 5'10" and have a 32" inseam) These come in 29" 31" and 33" inseams with shorts inseam 6.5"

Sly
04-13-2008, 10:15
The Campmor women's pants (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39171885) have a longer shorts inseam than most - hit me about 2/3 of the way to the knee in the long length (I'm 5'10" and have a 32" inseam) These come in 29" 31" and 33" inseams with shorts inseam 6.5"

Is that good or bad?

PS> Nevermind: Read the previous two posts.

tiptoe
04-13-2008, 11:38
I've been real happy with the EMS convertibles. Light, dry fast, roomy and secure pockets.

Panzer1
04-13-2008, 13:04
The 16 ounce REI Sahara convertable pants I have now are fine for warm weather but I would like to get a heavier pair for colder weather.

Can anyone recommend a heavier convertible pants that would be good for colder weather?

Panzer

Wags
04-13-2008, 15:55
really, one of the biggest drags of convertibles to me is that ALL the shorts come about halfway down the knee. like, that was fine in 1981, but i prefer my shorts to hit my knee at least, if not a few inches below. may as well just put on a pair of boxer shorts and be done w/ it

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-13-2008, 16:20
HikingPA, if you are not a large fellow, you might try some of the adjustable-waist women's hiking pants in capri zip off styles (zip off just below the knees). They come in most of the same colors as men's pants.

Panzer, I got the He-Dino some really nice heavy poly-nylon zip-off pants at Target last year. They are a winter item so likely not available right now.

Sly
04-13-2008, 17:03
The 16 ounce REI Sahara convertable pants I have now are fine for warm weather but I would like to get a heavier pair for colder weather.

Can anyone recommend a heavier convertible pants that would be good for colder weather?

Panzer

I think the Mountain Hardware pants are heavier.

I ordered a pair of the Campmor pants from the link posted earlier. Nice pants for only $30 (on sale). Nice and light. Velcro closes a baffle in the lower leg instead of a zipper, as well as the cargo and back pockets. Hopefully, they'll work well in the desert.

Sly
04-13-2008, 17:05
read it wrong (delete)

mudhead
04-13-2008, 17:10
I notice people seem to like long inseam shorts. My issue with convertibles is too long an inseam. I have those 2" inseam shorts, wicked comfy. I prefer baggies. Can't be much more than 4", if that. Probably less.

Now, I know I am odd, but why would anyone want long inseam shorts? Doesn't it bind your stride? Step up?

I dislike stuff in the pockets when moving, too.

Am I the only one?

4eyedbuzzard
04-13-2008, 18:18
really, one of the biggest drags of convertibles to me is that ALL the shorts come about halfway down the knee. like, that was fine in 1981, but i prefer my shorts to hit my knee at least, if not a few inches below. may as well just put on a pair of boxer shorts and be done w/ it

The Mountain Hardware Mesa convertibles have a longer inseam than most and come to about the top of the knee. Longest inseam convertible I've found.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-13-2008, 18:26
.....why would anyone want long inseam shorts? Doesn't it bind your stride? Step up?I like them because the longer shorts help prevent thigh chafing. Also, having a zipper higher up is uncomfortable for many girls. We are shaped a little different from you fellows. :D

Wags
04-13-2008, 21:38
i just feel better w/ longer shorts. no it doesn't effect my stride :D think i'll just stick to my track pants and/or swim trunks :D

88BlueGT
04-14-2008, 00:35
Just as a little FYI: I took some of my new gear out this weekend on a small trip and I love the EMS Profile's that I bought. These are my first pair of convertible pants so I have nothing to compare them to but from my eyes they are HEAVEN.

PROS: Lightweight, 100% nylon, 6 pockets (2 front pockets, 2 cargo, and 2 other zip pockets that are behind the cargo pockets, I believe the side zips are actually vents but they can be used to store things (I used mine for garbage)), easy removal of lower half, elastic waist AND a belt, etc.

CONS: Probably wont effect alot of people but for me, I'm 5'7-5'8, and wear a size 34. My Profiles are 34 in regular length. In the waist they fit perfect but the length is pretty long and sometimes they fall below my shoe which can cause them to get wet, scraped, torn, etc while under the boot. I could of gotten the 34 short but then the inseam is really short (in my eyes anyway). Thats about it.

High Altitude
04-14-2008, 17:10
Does anyone make convertible pants that are streamlined with out a bunch of pockets?