PDA

View Full Version : Wood stoves

EMAN
04-08-2008, 08:53
I am reading one of the Ed Garvey books and he speaks of using a wood stove yet I have not really noticed much about those here. Are these things just not popular? Not practical? Anyone used one and found it to be a PITA? Is it because it's a bad idea? Too much smoke? Soot? Black pots?
Just curious as it seems fuel would be more or less abundant and available. Wouldn't have to tote fuel cans or alcohol bottles.
Thanks.

weary
04-08-2008, 09:03
I am reading one of the Ed Garvey books and he speaks of using a wood stove yet I have not really noticed much about those here. Are these things just not popular? Not practical? Anyone used one and found it to be a PITA? Is it because it's a bad idea? Too much smoke? Soot? Black pots?
Just curious as it seems fuel would be more or less abundant and available. Wouldn't have to tote fuel cans or alcohol bottles.
Thanks.
I've used a wood-burning Zip Stove for years, and wouldn't use anything else on a long walk. It has a battery-powered fan, which makes starting easy and eliminates all the worries about fuel.

Most people don't like them because they can't stand a little soot on their pot. I never found the soot a problem. I just keep the pot in one of the plastic bags that every store gives you whenever you buy something.

My Zip is especially good for cooking generic rice and other foods with a long cooking time. My practice is to pick up a few good pieces of wood during the day so that I'm ready to cook as soon as I set up camp.

The smoke is useful on buggy evenings to keep the mosquitoes at bay.

Weary

EMAN
04-08-2008, 09:04
Ok...now that I'm awake, I searched for, and found, a thread on this. DUH!

fiddlehead
04-08-2008, 09:07
I used one for years and had no problem with it (Zip Stove)
I guess i switched (for convenience) to a pocket rocket.
Depending on what hike it was, i would bring it back again.
Like Weary said, some people don't like the soot. to me it was never a big deal, just keep your pot in a sack.
I learned to find good dry wood in hollow logs or underneath logs and got good at building fires.
Carried it around the world with me too and made a lot of friends by providing the hot water (all they wanted)
Nothing wrong with it. Simply "up to you"

4eyedbuzzard
04-08-2008, 09:10
Zip Zstoves and others like the caldera cone have been discussed at length here on WB. Some people love 'em for the cheap and unlimited fuel and don't find the smoke and soot a problem. Others like me find them better suited to shorter fishing/camping trips or more camping than hiking type hikes where you want to do some real cooking. Some absolutely hate 'em. It's definitely a HYOH thing when it comes to stoves.

Personally, I've come to the opinion that on a long hike I would want the convenience of a gas canister stove, and would build a regular wood campfire if I wanted to cook a complex meal requiring lots of fuel. But, that's just my opinion. I've had a Zip since '91 and modified it to make the fan variable speed. It has its place. I wouldn't take it if I was expecting to have to cook a lot in wet rainy weather, as the smoke makes it impossible to cook in a tent or most shelters. Only once was I told I couldn't use it do to a fire ban(in NJ), but that is a possibility even though it is a contained stove fire.

Here's one thread I remembered, there are many others. Search WB on zip stoves, zip zstoves, wood stoves, etc.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28752&highlight=zip+stove

88BlueGT
04-08-2008, 11:03
I'm pretty sure that you can use a wood stove in NJ. And even if its "technically" not legal, I could almost gaurantee that you wouldnt have a problem with a ranger telling you to put out your little wood stove while cooking a meal.

envirodiver
04-08-2008, 13:09
I have a zip stove also and like it a bunch. It is a bit heavier than I like so the Ti version is interesting, expensive but interesting (7 oz and that includes your fuel). The zip also has a learning curve associated with it, so if you go that route don't get frustrated early on. Just keep working at it. Main thing that I learned is to not put to much wood in it. Start small and get a good fire going, then feed it as you go along. You can actually sort of control temperature by how much fuel you add.

Sometimes I carry my pocket rocket, sometimes alcohol. I'm still pretty low on the learning curve regarding alcohol.

Mine has a 2 speed fan.

SGT Rock
04-08-2008, 14:12
You can make a hobo stove - which is basically what a Zzip stove is, the Zzip just adds a fan. I would reccomend playing around with one before totally converting to it. A wood stove is a good idea, it only takes a handfull of pencil sized twigs to get a pot of water to boil with a good one. BUT you have to have some skills in getting a fire going. I think in the end it would come down to preference. I like playing with them, I've had some good experiences with them, but in the end I like a stove I can just light and start cooking on right away like an alchohol and canister stove. What I find myself doing is using alchohol most of the time, but when I am in a campsite where I can start a fire and feel up to the chore - then I'll use a wood fire. If you think about it, you really don't need a specialized stove for that, just a little practice in setting what I call a "bank fire" which is a small fire off to the side of the main fire. You make a space ahead of time that will support a pot with some airflow and space for a small stick fire. The beauty of that is there is no weight to carry.

4eyedbuzzard
04-08-2008, 14:13
I'm pretty sure that you can use a wood stove in NJ. And even if its "technically" not legal, I could almost gaurantee that you wouldnt have a problem with a ranger telling you to put out your little wood stove while cooking a meal.

My incident was many years ago and there was a fire ban at the time. Attitudes and awareness may have changed. But the smoke got me a NJ ranger visit and a warning not to use the stove again after finishing my meal. NY had a similar ban at the time.

Normally they aren't a problem, but the use of wood and twig burning stoves was specifically banned in the midwest(Michigan) and at least one western state as recently as last year during high fire danger periods. So it is a possibility, and yeah, they could literally order you to extinguish your stove, cite you for using it, and even confiscate it. Not saying it will happen, just that it could.

88BlueGT
04-08-2008, 14:57
Well, I guess you never know though.........

envirodiver
04-08-2008, 15:05
Don't know about some of the other twig stoves, but with the zip I just leave the fan running until all of the wood has burned to ash. There are no pieces of partially burned wood left and no hot coals.

Frosty
04-08-2008, 15:27
You can make a hobo stove - which is basically what a Zzip stove is, the Zzip just adds a fan. Well, yeah, but that's like saying a cruise missile is basically a box of explosives, the cruise missile just adds a motor and guidance system.

The fan is what makes the Zzip burn darn near everything, though charcoal from an old fire ring is best.

And the Zzip I have (admittedly old) is more than a can with a fan. It is triple-walled (air goes in at the bottom, up and over a midwall, then down and out into the combustion chamber), both to heat incoming air and to keep walls from getting too hot.

I carried it for years as a Scoutmaster, not so much anymore. Nice for cold weather camping.

SGT Rock
04-08-2008, 15:35
Well, yeah, but that's like saying a cruise missile is basically a box of explosives, the cruise missile just adds a motor and guidance system.

The fan is what makes the Zzip burn darn near everything, though charcoal from an old fire ring is best.

And the Zzip I have (admittedly old) is more than a can with a fan. It is triple-walled (air goes in at the bottom, up and over a midwall, then down and out into the combustion chamber), both to heat incoming air and to keep walls from getting too hot.

I carried it for years as a Scoutmaster, not so much anymore. Nice for cold weather camping.
Yes there are tripple walls and all that, but I've seen other designs and played with some. IMO the tripple walls only add weight without really increasing efficiency. A forge system of any type of air forcing will do that. But the added weight for the extra walls as well as the need for a fan, battery, controler, and all that other jazz really isn't needed unless you absolutly feel the need to render all wood in the thing into ash. Otherwise people have been making the same basic idea for years with just coffee cans. Nimbilwill Nomad has a knock down version of a hobo stove. I made a few prototypes, and BPL sells a stove that uses the heat of the fire to create the vortex (sort of) without the need for a fan.

But in the end, it is still just a stick fire.

SunnyWalker
04-16-2008, 23:13
I use a Stratus Trailstove (wood stove). I send a box before me with Esbitt tabs in it. If I am going to enter a burn ban area I use the Esbit tabs and then I leave the burn ban area revert back to the wood aspect of the stove. Works for me. And no liquids to hassle with.

astrogirl
04-20-2008, 18:39
I use a bush buddy ultra. I like it, but it's a bit fussy to get it started. Once going, you can cook for a loooong time which allows for a lot of tea and bug chasing. :D

whitefoot_hp
04-20-2008, 20:03
what are some tricks to getting a fire going in wet conditions?

russb
04-20-2008, 20:16

I carry birchbark as tinder. The inside of wet wood is dry. Use a knife to get to it. Evergreen trees are natural umbrellas, look under them for some twigs which may be drier. This wood burns hot and fast too. Other tips include knowing what types of wood to use.

Bob S
04-20-2008, 20:27

Wet wood is usually only wet on the outside, split it open with a knife using a piece of wood (if needed) as a hammer to drive the knife to split it. Put the blade across the end of the wood, not the point, or carry a small axe. Also have some fire starters (homemade or store-bought, both work) and a zip-lock bag that you have filled with dry wood while you walked. A candle would also be a nice thing to have.

Once you have a good fire going, wet wood will burn. It burns a little slower and smokes more then dry wood, but it works ok.