PDA

View Full Version : need help with trip just north of GSMNP

derek
04-08-2008, 17:33
Hey everyone, I am from florida and have done a lot of the AT south of Fontana, but want to plan a trip a little farther north soon. From around may 5-10 some friends and I will be looking to do about 60 -70 miles of hiking, probably in the section just north of GSMNP, davenport and north i guess. Any helpful tips or recommendations for shuttle service, exact starting and ending locations, or anything else that we should consider when planning this trip? Thanks

joec
04-08-2008, 17:58
Go to Hot Springs and get Bluff Mountain Outfitters to take you to I40 (north edge of GSMNP). Hike back into Hot Springs, have a bath and meal and then have Bluff Mountain take you out (north) to Devils Fork Gap, and hike back into Hot Springs. It is approx 70 miles and you get a resupply/break in the middle.

SGT Rock
04-08-2008, 18:09
You may also want to contact Curtis at Standing Bear which is just north of the Smokies. I think he may do you a good deal - 423-487-0014

Hooch
04-08-2008, 18:18
I hear Ronnie McGaha (http://www.bellsouthpwp2.net/m/d/mdron/mcgahahome.htm) runs a pretty good shuttle service with resonable rates. Try contacting him as well.

SGT Rock
04-08-2008, 18:31
You could park your cars at Standing Bear and get a shuttle to Sams Gap. It would be 80 miles, or you could get to NC Rte 212 which would be about 67 miles. Those are the best put-in options for that section you want. The next closest shorter mileage would be Allen Gap which would only be about 50 miles. But with that plan there is a place to park and a shower waiting for you at Standing Bear when you get done. If you finish on the right day too, you could go over to Maria's resturaunt in Cosby.

chili36
04-08-2008, 18:49
Or you could go to the Bean Tree Cafe in Hartford.

10-K
04-08-2008, 19:13
Go to Hot Springs and get Bluff Mountain Outfitters to take you to I40 (north edge of GSMNP). Hike back into Hot Springs, have a bath and meal and then have Bluff Mountain take you out (north) to Devils Fork Gap, and hike back into Hot Springs. It is approx 70 miles and you get a resupply/break in the middle.

Joe -- that is a great idea. It'd be a chance to walk over Max Patch on the southern side of HS and the views going from Devil's Fork Gap back to HS are fantastic.

10-K
04-08-2008, 19:14
I hear Ronnie McGaha (http://www.bellsouthpwp2.net/m/d/mdron/mcgahahome.htm) runs a pretty good shuttle service with resonable rates. Try contacting him as well.

Sure enough - I used him and everything worked great. Good prices, right on time, good conversation - heck of a nice guy.

Even took a photo of me and sent a copy to me in the mail a few weeks later.

derek
04-09-2008, 04:53
thanks a lot guys. appreciate it.

Kirby
04-09-2008, 12:40
Hot Springs to Erwin is a nice section of trail, no idea how long it is though.

Kirby

SGT Rock
04-09-2008, 12:58
68 miles