PDA

View Full Version : Trail in south PA

HIPOCKETS
04-08-2008, 18:23
I plan to section hike starting in Waynesboro Va and ending near Harrisburg PA. In the past several years I have averaged 15- 20 miles per day. What is the trail like south of Harrisburg PA? Were do the rocks start?

Yahtzee
04-08-2008, 18:38
You gots no problems in Southern Pa. Md. has a few stretches of rocks, and there is one stretch of note a few miles south of Duncannon but other than that you're fine. For my money, the real rocks start once you leave Port Clinton. But Southern Pa is prime prime mile-making territory. 15 miles is a no problem day for someone who hikes your average.

X-LinkedHiker
04-08-2008, 18:59
Most of the rocks don't start until North of the Lehigh Valley.

Pootz
04-09-2008, 17:57
There are about 6 miles of rocks just north of Duncannon, other than that the trail is great in southern PA. Stop in Pine Grove State Park and spend the night at the Iron masters hostel, great experience in thru hiker season (June). And you cant beat the Doyle hotel in Duncannon for an At in town experience.

Enjoy your hike.

Undershaft
04-12-2008, 13:01
MD and S. PA are great sections of trail. The MD section is fairly level ridgeline walking with only a few big climbs/descents. Like Yahtzee said, a few streches of rocks, but not difficult. Plus MD has lots of cool history: C & O Canal, Gathland State Park and the Civil War Correspondents Memorial, Civil War battlefields and monuments at Reno Monument road, Dahlgren Chapel, the Washington Monument, Pen-Mar Park (be sure to check out the little museum there, very neat stuff). Maryland also has some really great views: Weaverton Cliffs, White Rocks, Washington Monument, Annapolis Rocks, Black Rocks, Raven Rock, High Rock, and Pen-Mar. I wound up taking a full four days to hike across Maryland because I enjoyed it so much.

PA continues with pretty easy terrain. None of the climbs and descents are too challenging on their own (a few got to me in the heat of afternoon). Antietam Creek is pretty with a nice little park nearby. Chimney Rocks was a really nice place to hang out and soak up the sun with some nice views of the Turkey Vultures soaring aroung on the thermals rising from the valley. The trail going into and out of Caledonia State Park was very pretty. The area around Birch Run stream was very nice and there were some cool stone ruins right on the trail as you head down into Pine Grove Furnace State Park. Take a pit stop at the general store, they have excellent cheeseburgers. The furnace itself is very impressive, it's worth stopping and reading the interpretation boards. After the park, take the side trail to Pole Steeple. It's not long or steep and you'll be rewarded with nice views of the terrain you just hiked over. I really enjoyed hiking across the Cumberland Valley. Miles of rippling fields in every direction, a unique part of the AT. Boiling Springs is a lovely little town and the people I met there were very nice and hiker friendly. Southern PA dished out some really great hiking. There are are few short rocky areas, but nothing to worry about. Just watch your step, one of the rocks in the middle of the trail moved and made me stumble resulting in a nasty sprained ankle. Also, some joker routed the trail through a big stone maze just south of the Alex Kennedy shelter. Fun, but draining at the end of a long, hot day.

I hiked Harper's Ferry to Carlisle last spring and it was one of my favorite section hikes of the AT so far. Have fun on your hike and take time to enjoy the scenery!