PDA

View Full Version : Day Section hike shuttle partner

kizzybean
04-08-2008, 21:08
:-? Looking for someone for a week of day hike sections of the AT. Hope to hike Duncannon PA north mid-May. Mass in June, NH in July & August, NJ in Oct. As I'm driving from Maine I want to hike for 5 - 6 days in a row. Sections are flexible but easier for my travel to be PA & north for now, Northern VA is a possibility too. I generally hike 10 - 13 miles a day but can do longer miles if necessary. Have completed Harpers Ferry to Duncannon and most of Maine except 100 mile woods (saving that for later). My work is flexible but generally like to hike Thursday – Monday or Tuesday, that way I work a little each week. Would like to find someone willing to work together shuttling, parking one car at end and other at start. Don't have to hike together during the day, go your own pace but need to end together to shuttle around the cars. I've done over-night hikes of 6 days but really enjoy the slack packing better with my comfortable bed at night. Willing to adjust hiking to up to 2/3 nites backpacking on the trail then off for 1 nite if that works better for someone else. I hike with my yellow lab, he's a gentleman and well mannered. If backpacking I carry a tent for he and I to sleep in.

Dirigo
04-16-2008, 15:33
Let me know your dates and I will see what we can do. I talked to you earlier in the year about hiking.

Dirigo/raftingirl

fredmugs
04-21-2008, 09:49
My last section started at the Blue Rocks campground heading southbound. If you get to where you are starting a section there heading north I would be interested in shuttling with you from there in May. Duncannon to Blue Rocks is about 80 trail miles.

Sunshine
04-22-2008, 21:37
I'd like to hike in May as well, starting around rt 501 going north. Can you bump up the trail a bit? I've already done Duncannon to 501. Would be willing to slack pack as much as we can. Maybe overnighters on the trail

rubyvermonter
04-23-2008, 12:26
I am section-hiking, heading south from the Delaware Water Gap. I am thinking about day-hiking the week-end of May 17th because a local AMC chapter is scheduled for a dayhike in northern PA on that Saturday. I am definitely backpacking Memorial Day week-end in northern PA. Do you plan to be that far north by then?

Phyllis/Rubyvermonter

kizzybean
04-23-2008, 23:13
Thanks everyone that's replied to my inquiry.

Dates I'm planning to hike are May 22th - 27th. Might be able to stretch one day on either side.

Fredmugs - not sure where Blue Rocks Campground is. :o Couldn't seem to find it on my map. If it falls into any of the sections below would appreciate the company and shuttle help if needed.

Sunshine - I'm not commited to starting below Duncannon, it was just where I'd left off in PA last year. If it works out that we can hook up here's a suggestion for a 5 days of "day hikes" nobo from 501: :)
Day 1 - 501 to Rt 183 9.3
Day 2 - Rt 183 to Schuylkill River 14.4
Day 3 - Schuylkill river to Eckville Game Prking lot 14.3
Day 4 - Eckville to Rt 309 12. 4
Day 5 - Rt 309 to Rt 873 Lehigh Gap 13.3
I don't hike fast, rather steady pace all day. Last year averaged around 12 - 13 miles/day with full pack, slack packing should be able to do 14 with good daylight in May. Things are always flexible and I've learned all plans can go astray with weather, injury or just plain sore feet. Let me know if that looks interesting to you at all. My thoughts are to set up a base camp, tenting at a commercial campground where there are showers each night.

Dirigo - nice to hear from you. I had your email saved from earler and was going to check in if closer to Harpers Ferry hiking this spring. If any of those dates above work with you might grab you for a ride if you're in the PA areas. My plans for hiking Northern VA didn't workout where I was hoping to hook up with you. Are you coming to ME this summer at all?:D

Phyllis - Don't think I'll be as far north as you are Memorial day weekend. If I can't hook up with Sunshine I'll be hiking Duncannon nobo for 5 days. If you have any sections north you might get out on I haven't done anything between PA and Maine. Maine is almost complete as that's where I live so easier for me to do on day or weekend hikes. :)

Happy trails everyone

Kizzybean (aka - Pokey)

Sunshine
04-24-2008, 07:16
Kizzybean, The route looks good. We'd be going by Blue Rocks Campground the middle of the second day. Problem is I don't think I can start until the 27th. I have to be at work the week of the 19th and have a family function in Newport (north of Duncannon) on the 26th. Are your dates flexible? Fredmugs, I might be able to stay out longer. I'm also probably 13 with full back, 15 slack packing although I don't mind pushing that.

kizzybean
04-24-2008, 23:24
Sunshine,

I am sort of committed to starting around the 22/23rd for dates. Fredmugs has suggested hiking northern PA to DWG which fits into sections he hasn't done and can hike the dates I've planned.

If you're interested in hiking in June I was thinking of hiking in MA then but can adjust my schedule to hike the sections I mentioned before in PA. I'm just trying to work in hiking all the sections north of Harpers Ferry before starting on the southern AT sections. Living in Maine it's simply a travel time thing.

Kizzy

Trillium
04-24-2008, 23:39
Hi Kizzybean,
I am interested in doing 3-4 days of hiking in Massachusetts, possibly into southern Vermont July 9 - 12. Would that possibly work into your schedule? I would much prefer to hike with another person. My rate is very similar to yours.

I will be coming from eastern Mass where I will be visiting my daughter then returning home after the hike.

Thanks!

kizzybean
04-27-2008, 11:15
Trillium

Your dates just might work for me. I'm waiting to get some of the family, work and other interests on the calendar for the summer to see what dates are then free for hiking. I haven't done any hiking in MA or VT so open to any sections. A 3 - 4 day hike would be perfect for me. I'd be driving down from Maine.

Lets keep in touch to try and work out a hike. I'll look over my maps and notes and you do the same to think of a section that would fit into our plans.

Kizzy

juma
04-28-2008, 13:01
KB - I am hoping to get in on this hike as planned above. you can google the blue rocks campground. It looks good and well located for the hike. I'll be watching to see which campground is gonna be the base camp.

juma

fredmugs
04-28-2008, 17:19
The itinerary listed previously has changed a little bit. Kizzybean and I have the following hike planned beginning on May 23rd:

Eckville Rd/Shelter to PA Hwy 309 11.5m
PA 309 to PA 248 (Palmerton) 13.6m
PA 248 to Smith Gap Rd 12.3m
Smith Gap Rd to PA 191 (Fox Gap) 16.7m
PA 191 to DWG 8.2m finish early on May 27th

As a side note: I have left a vehicle at Blue Rocks before. There is about a 1.5 mile blue blaze trail and it is VERY ROCKY. And by rocky I mean boulders. Not a lot of fun for miles that don't count.

Skyline
04-28-2008, 18:01
Ditto that about Blue Rocks CG.

I've hiked up to the AT from there two different ways:

1) Following a foot trail from the camping area, but culminating in a straight-up hand-over-hand traverse that reminded me of Albert Mt. in NC.

2) Up a gradually ascending blazed "trail" which was actually a long, long boulder field.

Either one's do-able. Neither is much fun.

juma
04-28-2008, 20:25
The itinerary listed previously has changed a little bit. Kizzybean and I have the following hike planned beginning on May 23rd:

Eckville Rd/Shelter to PA Hwy 309 11.5m
PA 309 to PA 248 (Palmerton) 13.6m
PA 248 to Smith Gap Rd 12.3m
Smith Gap Rd to PA 191 (Fox Gap) 16.7m
PA 191 to DWG 8.2m finish early on May 27th

As a side note: I have left a vehicle at Blue Rocks before. There is about a 1.5 mile blue blaze trail and it is VERY ROCKY. And by rocky I mean boulders. Not a lot of fun for miles that don't count.

looks good. where ya gonna meet the first day and what time? where ya gonna campground?

juma

kizzybean
04-30-2008, 12:42
Juma,

Fredmugs and I have talked about meeting at the Ecksville Game parking lot the morning of May 23rd. (Exact time not set yet ) We're planning on hiking in opposite directions, I will be hiking nobo and Fredmugs will drive my car around and hike sobo for each section daily, swapping keys. I hike slower so that way Fredmugs won't be waiting for me at the end of the day. I am planning on camping in a campground which I'll use as my base, driving to the trailhead each morning. Haven't booked it yet, looking on-line for a central location that isn't too expensive. I only want a shower for amenities. Fredmugs is planning on hiking another longer section after we complete this section and I will be dropping him off on my way back to Maine at a trailhead.

Great to have more joining us on the trail if it works with your plans.

Kizzy

juma
05-01-2008, 07:49
Juma,

Fredmugs and I have talked about meeting at the Ecksville Game parking lot the morning of May 23rd. (Exact time not set yet ) We're planning on hiking in opposite directions, I will be hiking nobo and Fredmugs will drive my car around and hike sobo for each section daily, swapping keys. I hike slower so that way Fredmugs won't be waiting for me at the end of the day. I am planning on camping in a campground which I'll use as my base, driving to the trailhead each morning. Haven't booked it yet, looking on-line for a central location that isn't too expensive. I only want a shower for amenities. Fredmugs is planning on hiking another longer section after we complete this section and I will be dropping him off on my way back to Maine at a trailhead.

Great to have more joining us on the trail if it works with your plans.

juma

Kizzy

got it. right now I'm planning to go up on the 5/22 and hike a short section a little north of duncannon where I left off before and then head for campground (whichever is chosen). I'd plan to meet ya in the morning at the parking lot on 4/23 and ride out with FM and give him a 20 minute headstart and then hike. I plan to hike 5/23-25 and head home. this will really give me a good start on finishing Pa. so I look forward to it.

fredmugs
05-01-2008, 09:17
Here's my plan for the 22nd:

Drive to Eckville area parking lot. Hike southbound to Pulpit Rock, take picture, hike back to my vehicle. I plan to start noon-ish (I will have a 200 mile drive to get there) with the intention of completing before it gets dark. Not sure yet when Kizzy plans to roll into town yet. Evening of the 22nd I can either car camp, go to the Eckvile shelter, or do whatever. I'm a hammock guy and avoid shelters like the plague but I don't have a problem setting up camp near one to be around others.

kizzybean
05-01-2008, 12:52
Being Memorial Day weekend, campgrounds filling up fast. Did manage to get a tent site at Evergreen Lake in Bath. Went with it as it was the first one I found along the section with openings. http://www.evergreenlake.net/

Kizzy

juma
05-01-2008, 21:09
Here's my plan for the 22nd:

Drive to Eckville area parking lot. Hike southbound to Pulpit Rock, take picture, hike back to my vehicle. I plan to start noon-ish (I will have a 200 mile drive to get there) with the intention of completing before it gets dark. Not sure yet when Kizzy plans to roll into town yet. Evening of the 22nd I can either car camp, go to the Eckvile shelter, or do whatever. I'm a hammock guy and avoid shelters like the plague but I don't have a problem setting up camp near one to be around others.

Oh well, that sections is as good as any on the 5/22 - I can meet you at the park lot, swap shuttle, and we both walk it only once. that is if you don't mind parking my car just south of the windsor furnace shelter?

I think I'll shoot for the blue rocks campground as it will be well located for my hike and commute.

juma

juma
05-19-2008, 07:55
Weather is looking very good after these last few weeks of rain every other day. The weather and family festivities has kept me off the trail for a few weeks so I am ready to hike!

juma

kizzybean
05-19-2008, 09:08
I'm ready to go too. I've been hiking around the trails here trying to get back into hiking shape after the winter, or at least my hiking shape. Glad to hear the weather looks good. I've been busy getting things set so I can take off so haven't even looked at the weather at all.

See you on the trail Friday AM bright and early. I'll be at the Eckville parking area between 6am and 7am depending on how I do driving down from Maine. I'm hiking sections nobo and fredmugs will be hiking sobo. I'm a slow hiker so you may pace yourself better with him and I'll see you both at the start and end of the day.

Kizzy - aka trail name: "Pokey"

rubyvermonter
05-19-2008, 17:14
Hi all, I day hiked this past Saturday from Little Gap to Wind Gap and Sunday from Wind Gap to Water Gap. So my plans for Memorial day week-end are that a friend and I will leave my car at Little Gap and get down to the Hamburg Reservoir Road to hike into the AT at Windsor Furnace (especially after reading Skyline's description of the trail to the AT from Blue Rocks, which had been my other choice). We can't get to Little Gap until about 1 p.m. on Friday so I don't think I can even suggest I try to do a car shuttle with any of you. But, if our schedule would suit someone's needs, let me know. Otherwise, we plan to hire someone to shuttle us and look forward to meeting some of you on the trail. We plan to spend Friday night either at Eckville Shelter or somewhere on the trail outside Gold Spring or Panther Spring, Saturday night at Tripoli Campsite and Sunday night at George W. Outerbridge Shelter.
Rubyvermonter

kizzybean
05-20-2008, 22:07
Rubyvermonter,

Look forward to seeing you on the trail this weekend.

Kizzy (Trailname: Pokey)

juma
05-27-2008, 12:29
It was a heck of great hike! Met up with Fredmugs and Kizzy for four days of really nice weather and hiking part of the pennsylvania AT. I finished sunday and they went on to hike some more. Thanks to them for sharing! This board really works and gets you to folks with the same goals!

juma

kizzybean
05-28-2008, 10:41
I just got back to Maine last night. Dropped Fredmugs off at Bear Mt in NJ for him to hike south to the DWG. It was a great hike and thanks to Fredmugs and Juma for being great hiking partners for the time. I'd recommend either to hike with for anyone. They made me feel very comfortable and didn't push my limits with miles, adapting down to lower miles per day. Hoping to get a chance for similar day section hikes next month here in New England.

Juma - still need to bang out that center section of PA so if you're planning it anytime drop me an email and I'll join you if possible.

Happy Trails

Kizzy