PDA

View Full Version : Scouts invade the AT in NY this weekend!

Tin Man
04-08-2008, 22:05
I don't know what I did, but I got 20 boys in our Scout Troop (out of 24 registered), plus 7 adults to sign-up for backpacking this weekend. We usually get 10-12 boys and 3 adults. This is their first non-car camping trip for all of these boys and most of the adults. I made everyone buy the food and pack everything up, gear and all, at our regular meeting this week. It was a very different process and we had to scale back in quite a few areas as you could imagine. But, it seemed like everyone had fun squeezing it all in and they are very excited to get going. So, we are ready...I hope. And I hope we don't get the rain that is predicted.

Anyone hiking the AT near NY's Fahnestock State Park this Saturday may want to take note - we are coming through! Not to worry though, we are camping at nearby Durland Scout Reservation (formerly Clear Lake).

I am pretty sure I am going to wish I never talked about hiking or the AT by the time this weekend is over. :)

grquinn
04-08-2008, 22:12
I don't know what I did, but I got 20 boys in our Scout Troop (out of 24 registered), plus 7 adults to sign-up for backpacking this weekend. We usually get 10-12 boys and 3 adults. This is their first non-car camping trip for all of these boys and most of the adults. I made everyone buy the food and pack everything up, gear and all, at our regular meeting this week. It was a very different process and we had to scale back in quite a few areas as you could imagine. But, it seemed like everyone had fun squeezing it all in and they are very excited to get going. So, we are ready...I hope. And I hope we don't get the rain that is predicted.

Anyone hiking the AT near NY's Fahnestock State Park this Saturday may want to take note - we are coming through! Not to worry though, we are camping at nearby Durland Scout Reservation (formerly Clear Lake).

I am pretty sure I am going to wish I never talked about hiking or the AT by the time this weekend is over. :)

Good for you! Isn't that what the Appalachian Trail is all about? Have fun!

The Weasel
04-08-2008, 22:35

Tin ---

Speaking as a Scouter since 1970 who has done over 100 of those trips, by the end of this weekend you'll be planning the next one! Not only that, you'll have 90% of the boys who went, 90% of the boys who didn't, most of their sisters, many of their dads, more of their moms than you think, and a huge bunch of kids who will start joining your Troop after seeing that you do "the real stuff", all of them saying, "Mr. Tin! PLEEEEEASE can we do that again soon!!!!"

Good for you, man.

TW
>---WWW--->

4eyedbuzzard
04-08-2008, 23:02
I don't know what I did, but I got 20 boys in our Scout Troop (out of 24 registered), plus 7 adults to sign-up for backpacking this weekend...
...I am pretty sure I am going to wish I never talked about hiking or the AT by the time this weekend is over. :)

No good deed ever goes unpunished.:D

It's great that you are doing overnight outdoor stuff with the scouts. No matter what, hiking, camping, and outdoorsmanship will always be at the core of scouting in most of our minds.

The Weasel
04-08-2008, 23:24
No good deed ever goes unpunished.:D

This is known, in Scouting, as "The Baden-Powell Corollary to Murphy's Law." :D

RITBlake
04-09-2008, 00:04
bring your ear plugs!

Nearly Normal
04-09-2008, 01:44
Bless you for it. Children need it more now than ever. Even us big kids.

Hoop
04-09-2008, 06:26
Scouting = good memories

NICKTHEGREEK
04-09-2008, 06:58
I applaud your efforts and dedication, but a group of 20 is too big.

gsingjane
04-09-2008, 07:40
Tin, you're gonna have a blast! I stayed at Clear Lake with my sons' BSA troop, oh, about six years ago, and a different group of Scouts did exactly what you are planning, hiked the AT through Fahnestock and then camped at Clear Lake. I was really jealous, they looked like they were having a blast, even though it was raining buckets! We swam in that fabulous lake where you can see right to the bottom (watch the leeches tho).

This must be the weekend for Scouts, I'm taking a bunch of Girl Scouts out this weekend for a day hike on the AT in CT, as prep for an overnight in May. We'll both pray for sun.... dunno though...

Jane in CT

Lone Wolf
04-09-2008, 07:41
I applaud your efforts and dedication, but a group of 20 is too big.

no it's not

cannonball
04-09-2008, 08:18
Funny how I have never heard of Boy Scouts smoking pot in non-smoking rooms at hotels nor showing thier *** at the place in Damascus:D

notorius tic
04-09-2008, 08:24
Enjoy even when it hurts its worth the trip those kids an moms an dads will long live the memories TY 4 being a Leader our youth needs more people like you..GOT 4 STARS IN MY BOOK...Keep UP THE GOOD WORK

rpenczek
04-09-2008, 08:51
Last August, my boys ("heavy weight" car campers) planned a weekend backpack in the Hoosier National Forest for mid November. My jaw dropped when we ended up with 35 people (about 25 boys). Afterall, I did not expect the video game crowd to be into carrying heavy stuff on their backs and walking in the woods.

We managed to gather up enough "light weight" tents for all but two boys who managed to lug one of our 12 pound 4 man tents. Several of our adutls are backpackers, so we had enough other gear (stoves, cook pots, etc...) We also worked on finding grocery store food that backpacks well rather than using Mountian House or Richmor ("A Scout is Thrifty").

Our first year Scouts did not join us until Saturday and they only hiked 5 miles in and 5 out, while our older boys did about 17 miles total with the first 5 miles in the pitch black on Friday night (we did not get on the trail until 8 PM). The boys were asleep Friday night as soon as we got tents up (they have never been soooo quiet.

Everyone had a blast and all but 2 of the boys had never been backpacking before. I am certain that this August, our youth leaders will plan another backpacking trip. I am also certain they will begin to raise the funds to replace some of our cast iron with Ti and coleman stoves with MSRs.

Keeping my fingers crossed that we become "light weight" walking campers rather than "heavy weight" car campers.

Enjoy the walk in the woods.

Tin Man
04-09-2008, 08:59
Thank you for all the kind replies. I have booked a youth campsite at Mohawk Mountain State Park in CT for a weekend in May. This is part of the old AT through CT and we will hike over to the AT and do a few more miles there. It will be interesting to see if we get as big a turnout after this weekend.

These are 10-mile weekend trips and I would like to get a 30-mile trip in this summer - perhaps VT or NH. The more they hike, the more I get to hike. ;)

Tin Man
04-09-2008, 09:04
Regarding gear and food, I managed to get the boys weighed in between 23-30 pounds, mostly proportional to the size of the boy, including food for 4 meals. The troop gear is heavier than I like to carry, but manageable.

sixhusbands
04-09-2008, 09:06
My hat goes of to you! you are creating the future hikers and caretakers of our natural world. I hope you have a great trip.

tazie
04-09-2008, 09:27
Oh Tin, that's wonderful! Have a great trip, you are making memories of a lifetime for those boys. As a mom of a Boy Scout (who's now 18 and still loves to hike and camp) I say thank you. All the best to you & your troop.

Time To Fly 97
04-09-2008, 09:29
Boy Scouting was my first introduction to backpacking. We had great times that I still remember and am thankful for. It is a great thing to give kids confidence from knowing how to do it right (LNT, etc.) and the leadership skills that evolve from that...not to mention all the skill awards you can earn : )

Hope your trip is great and the first of many.

Happy hiking!

TTF

gold bond
04-09-2008, 09:36
Tin, We had a group of 12 Scouts and adults this past weekend that is going to Philmont this year on trail. We hiked from Sams Gap to the other side of Big Bald and camped then back to Sams Gap the next morning.
Alot of the boys had been following the weather and as we pulled into Sams Gap it was raining, I mean a real frog starngler! The boys wanted to cancell. We waited untill the rain was managable and set off. We had several gear shake downs as well as this was our second "shakedown" hike. Still some of the boys were not prepared for that type of conditions.After we got back to the scout hut we had a "thorn and roses" type discussion. All the boys had a great time and could not stop talking about how they were ready to get out again as we have one maybe two more hikes. All the boys have to make two out of three hikes and we will have another one just for the fun of it. We told the boys that the reason we went on with this hike is once your on trail....you have got to keep going.We can't change the weather just learn how to be prepared for it and deal with it.
We all had a great time and thanks to all the trail maintainers in that section as it was immaculate!

Ashman
04-09-2008, 10:06
Good for you Tin, enjoy your hike! One of my hiking partners this week is a Scout Dad. He tells me about the logistics and rules that BSA requires as far as buddy systems, adult to kid ratios and what not, you are to be commended. Give us a report when you get back.

Thoughtful Owl
04-09-2008, 10:37

Been there and had no regrets. Most of the scouts loved it and enjoy backpacking more than the car camping. It was quite entertaining when the scouts came to the troop meeting before the outing with their bp's all loaded up and we started the pack inspections. I weighed each scouts bp before inspecting and then again after we pulled a ton of unnecessary gear out. Although I had given them a list of what they would need, there was much unnecessary gear added. Everyone got a good laugh and an excellent lesson that evening.

Hope you have great weather and like someone else mentioned, remind the young men they are scouts and a scout is supposed to "be prepared" even for inclimate weather. And like Ashman mentioned, give us a report when you get back.

envirodiver
04-09-2008, 10:47
Regarding gear and food, I managed to get the boys weighed in between 23-30 pounds, mostly proportional to the size of the boy, including food for 4 meals. The troop gear is heavier than I like to carry, but manageable.

Good for you Tin Man. That's a decent weight for a newbi. I have so many kids and parents coming in to the REI where I work, with no concept that the stuff they buy is going to be carried on their back and what that feels like. The parents are the worst, wanting to make sure the kids have clean underwear and multiple changes of clothes. Pick out a lot of uneccessary, yet cool stuff. I try to talk to them about the pleasure of not carrying the kitchen sink. Some listen, some don't. They will all learn.

Wish my scout troop had been a backpacking troop, instead of just car camping. I might have begun earlier to backpack myself. I still kick myself that I missed out on those college years when I did actually have the time to do long extended hikes, no bills, etc.

Enjoy.

deeddawg
04-09-2008, 10:53
Although I had given them a list of what they would need, there was much unnecessary gear added. Everyone got a good laugh and an excellent lesson that evening.

In my experience in many years of Scouting, the worst offenders of adding gear are the boys' mothers. "Here, honey, you need to take this additional warm coat. Oh, don't forget to spare pairs of jeans. Better take a couple cans of stew."

When planning a backpacking outing, we'd run two parallel discussions in separate rooms. One for the boys, the other for the parents. The second would focus on not adding unnecessary items, where to get good deals on gear, what to get and not to get, and basically how to best ensure Junior's first backpacking trip was something he'd enjoy.

StepChld
04-09-2008, 11:17
As an ASM of a troop that hasn't done much more than car camping, I'm actively listening to all the advice here. This year/season I think will be the turning point in our troop. Up until this summer, we've had two distinct age groups in our troop...older boys of 15+ and a really large group of younger boys that are all turning 13 in the next couple of months. Our older boys have done Philmont (last summer) and only now are our younger boys getting the bug to backpack. We've been so busy doing TFC, that backpacking has been secondary...until now. We're to late to take any serious trips here in Texas (from June until late September it's way to hot for a "first time" backpacking experiance) but this fall I do believe our PLC will come up with some good events for the troop.
So please, give us an After-Action Report!;)

Thoughtful Owl
04-09-2008, 11:23
This is really a good thread. I hope everyone will keep it going. There's a lot we can learn from one another. After all, that's why I joined WB to begin with.

Tin Man
04-09-2008, 11:33
I did invite the parents for a packing class a couple of weeks ago. I told them to target 15-20 pounds for pack, sleeping bag/pad and personal gear. The mothers still put in too much stuff and additional clothing. I took out all but one change of clothes. The boys rarely change anyway. I told them they only need to change if they get wet and rain is predicted this weekend. I also told them to get a headlamp or a flashlight that takes only triple-A batteries and still I saw some d-cells. But they are learning.

deeddawg
04-09-2008, 11:35
One other thing I remembered. There's nothing that drives the point home quite as well as showing a comparison of lightweight backpacking vs. heavyweight backpacking. We'd also bring in a lightweight pack setup with stuff like a lightweight tent, small cannister stove, single pot, etc. -- what most here would consider a middle of the road setup. Also have a "bad example" setup with the giant dome tent, 5lb sleeping bag, half a dozen nalgene bottles, stainless steel 5-pot&pan set, etc. What you might end up with if you did all your outfitting at Walmart and didn't know any better. ;)

Then get the mothers to hoist the two different packs and walk around with them a little bit. ;)

Tin Man
04-09-2008, 11:36
Wish my scout troop had been a backpacking troop, instead of just car camping. I might have begun earlier to backpack myself. I still kick myself that I missed out on those college years when I did actually have the time to do long extended hikes, no bills, etc.

Don't kick yourself too much. I loved backpacking as a scout, then quit around 17 and didn't start again until I turned 30.

envirodiver
04-09-2008, 11:46
That's about the same age I got going. First trip I thought to myself, why have I not been doing this forever?

It's good to show these kids the outdoors and do it with personal experience and in the proper manner.

Great idea Deedawg to get the Mom's to actually hoist and carry the different packs. The cotton concept is also one that's hard to get across for winter trips.

RevLee
04-09-2008, 13:43
Our troop has also been evolving from the strictly car camping mindset for a couple of years now. In the fall we have a hiking/backpacking campout with the younger scouts day hiking carrying a small pack, while the middle scouts get their introduction to backpacking. Then for the older scouts we have a couple of 3-4 day trips, one over spring break and another in the fall.

It can be challenging getting the middle scouts moving on the trail. We do a shakedown before the trip, but they always show up with extra stuff hanging (and swinging and dragging) on the outside of the pack. Keeping them moving is definitely an experience. One time the front of the line stopped to rest before the back of the line even got moving.

I don't know what your options are for locations, but we prefer national forests to national parks. The parks are more restrictive on where you can camp and group sizes on the trail.

The meetings before the campout, we cover gear, clothing, cooking, sanitation, and LNT, but the favorite is the "What not to bring" demonstration by the older scouts. They will come in with packs full of cotton clothes, huge flashlights, shovels, electric fan (with extension cord), boombox, bowling ball, etc.

Thoughtful Owl
04-09-2008, 13:50
Our troop has also been evolving from the strictly car camping mindset for a couple of years now. In the fall we have a hiking/backpacking campout with the younger scouts day hiking carrying a small pack, while the middle scouts get their introduction to backpacking. Then for the older scouts we have a couple of 3-4 day trips, one over spring break and another in the fall.

It can be challenging getting the middle scouts moving on the trail. We do a shakedown before the trip, but they always show up with extra stuff hanging (and swinging and dragging) on the outside of the pack. Keeping them moving is definitely an experience. One time the front of the line stopped to rest before the back of the line even got moving.

I don't know what your options are for locations, but we prefer national forests to national parks. The parks are more restrictive on where you can camp and group sizes on the trail.

The meetings before the campout, we cover gear, clothing, cooking, sanitation, and LNT, but the favorite is the "What not to bring" demonstration by the older scouts. They will come in with packs full of cotton clothes, huge flashlights, shovels, electric fan (with extension cord), boombox, bowling ball, etc.

Neat idea. I think I will share this with my SPL and see about them doing something like this with our newly bridged scouts. Will include the parents in this meeting, as I am sure it will be a roar.

SM T37

cannonball
04-09-2008, 14:29
Actually AT treks are a very economically feasable alternative to Philmont. It appears to me that an AT section hike could be pulled off from almost any state in the east to mid west for a fraction of the cost of going to philmont.

Tin Man
04-09-2008, 14:35
Actually AT treks are a very economically feasable alternative to Philmont. It appears to me that an AT section hike could be pulled off from almost any state in the east to mid west for a fraction of the cost of going to philmont.

That may be true, but Philmont is the big Kahuna for Scouts.

cannonball
04-09-2008, 15:01
I fully agree that philmont is "mecca" for scouting. This year a trek from Tallahassee, Fl. is in excess of 2,200 beans. Plus our council wants to skim 10 per cent of in addition.
As a parent of 3 kids in Parochial schools there is no way I could ever take my son or send him alone to philmont.
In all my days as a scout leader there has always been the fact that places like Philmont and Northern teir are for the afluent.
My stance is purely an economic one. I have no doubt that Philmont is the crown jewel. Just sorry that alot of us in scouting will never be able to "grab the golden ring".

Blissful
04-09-2008, 15:06
Rats.

My hubby is taking out his troop this weekend backpacking Big Schloss on the VA / WV border. Right now he has three scouts and one assistant signed to go. The assistant and his son will likely cancel if they hear it's projected to rain this Saturday. But I told him to take the other 2 anyway. He can't get his troop to backpack to save their lives. And cold weather or rain? Forget it.

cannonball
04-09-2008, 15:09
Rats.

My hubby is taking out his troop this weekend backpacking Big Schloss on the VA / WV border. Right now he has three scouts and one assistant signed to go. The assistant and his son will likely cancel if they hear it's projected to rain this Saturday. But I told him to take the other 2 anyway. He can't get his troop to backpack to save their lives. And cold weather or rain? Forget it.

Theres this little thing called 2 deep leadership.............

Thoughtful Owl
04-09-2008, 15:19
I have had to cancel backpacking and/or other trips because I couldn't get other adult leaders to go. The scouts were very disapointed. I explained to them there wasn't anything I could do. I have to have two deep leadership. Well the scouts talked to their parents and now if I don't have a second leader to go along, one of the scouts will make a call home to his parents and usually one of them will come up with a parent to go along. The last trip out was a dad whom had never been out backpacking before. He told me again last night how much he enjoyed the outing and wanted to know when we could go again. He was so much like his son it was incredible.

Tin Man
04-09-2008, 15:22
I fully agree that philmont is "mecca" for scouting. This year a trek from Tallahassee, Fl. is in excess of 2,200 beans. Plus our council wants to skim 10 per cent of in addition.
As a parent of 3 kids in Parochial schools there is no way I could ever take my son or send him alone to philmont.
In all my days as a scout leader there has always been the fact that places like Philmont and Northern teir are for the afluent.
My stance is purely an economic one. I have no doubt that Philmont is the crown jewel. Just sorry that alot of us in scouting will never be able to "grab the golden ring".

Wow, $2,200 is high. The CT Yankee council is charging $1,550 this year, which includes some neat stuff like a day of white water rafting and other neat stops. Have you considered a fund raiser? Some of the boys in our troop have raised money for their high adventure trips.

Blissful
04-09-2008, 15:23
Theres this little thing called 2 deep leadership.............

Yeah, you're right, forgot that.

Okay, so we'll hope the other guy doesn't cancel or it's another trip down the drain. One time I went because there wasn't another leader (I was made assistant with the paperwork). But I can't go this weekend.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
04-09-2008, 16:36
:)

Okay, but if you have such a large group, please be considerate of other hikers and break up into at least three or four small groups. I can imagine the frustration if all of you try to cross a puncheon or get through a narrow section of trail as a group and other hikers have to wait for everyone to pass before proceeding in the opposite direction.

Christopher Robin
04-09-2008, 16:37
I offten was the second leadre for my husband's troop backpacking trip & both the boys & i had a blass. the only thing at souts neeg a change of is under-wear becuase cotten get et & the porse in if stay open. Other then extry pair of socks. What we use to do is have the boys or girls bring clean clothes & leve them in the car if we had a long trip home. An other backpacking trip for older boy is the50 mile hike if you have a 3-5 day to backpack. We have done it a few times on different parts of the A.T. & pland the service projet on a day that some A.T. trail work is being done also.

NICKTHEGREEK
04-09-2008, 16:50
no it's not
Yes it is

Lone Wolf
04-09-2008, 16:51
says who

NICKTHEGREEK
04-09-2008, 17:10
says who
Says me, and the immortal motto, Semper Lessen Twentyscoutem, thats who.

Tin Man
04-09-2008, 17:14
I have met groups of 20+ and led groups of 20+ on various trails. Never saw an issue except for camping and I have purposefully secured off-trail campsites for this trip and one in May.

cannonball
04-09-2008, 17:22
Wow, $2,200 is high. The CT Yankee council is charging $1,550 this year, which includes some neat stuff like a day of white water rafting and other neat stops. Have you considered a fund raiser? Some of the boys in our troop have raised money for their high adventure trips.

Actually our troop has above average oppurtunities for fund raisers. Problem is I have 2 other kids (girls) and only 1 of me:sun. You know that the "only 1 hour a week" they tell you is the norm when you get into scout leardership turns into alot more when you get into it. And thats just to do the regular stuff.
Putting in the time to do the fund raising events it would take to get to Philmont would just take to much away from the rest of the family.
Besides, 2,200 is'nt all- you know we would have to get the belts that say Philmont on them;).

Please understand that I am all for high adventure trips. I just wish they were more financially manageable. Further, my son has had a wonderful experience in scouting. He has aspergers syndrome, a disability on the autism spevtrum, and scouting has been wonderful for him. He goes to council summer camp and last year he and I went to Camp Daniel Boone in NC.

Blissful
04-09-2008, 17:30
Okay, but if you have such a large group, please be considerate of other hikers and break up into at least three or four small groups. I can imagine the frustration if all of you try to cross a puncheon or get through a narrow section of trail as a group and other hikers have to wait for everyone to pass before proceeding in the opposite direction.

If there's a large group of youth, I have seen them step aside for me if the leader directs. But I have also just stood to the side and let them past, encouraging them as they are struggling by, which these kids could use rather than a lecture that their group is too large. It doesn't take that long a time for them to pass. (!)

I can see why young kids don't want to go in the woods. Too many prima donna hikers out there.

Skidsteer
04-09-2008, 17:43
If there's a large group of youth, I have seen them step aside for me if the leader directs. But I have also just stood to the side and let them past, encouraging them as they are struggling by, which these kids could use rather than a lecture that their group is too large. It doesn't take that long a time for them to pass. (!)

I can see why young kids don't want to go in the woods. Too many prima donna hikers out there.

Preach it Blissful! Right on.

peanuts
04-09-2008, 17:48
:clapkludos to blissful

deeddawg
04-09-2008, 18:10

The thing is, Council organized trips are usually pretty steep. We did a non-council trip from Atlanta for a LOT less, I think the number was around $1300 plus spending money. Drove out over two days instead of flying and doing a charter bus. Drivers were given gas money; the fee for everyone included gasoline contribution. We spent three nights in Red River, NM to acclimate. During that time we visited Taos and on another day did the Combres & Toltec Scenic Railroad (really cool).

Individual troops can put in for Philmont crew slots, you don't have to go through your council as I remember. It can be done a lot more economically than you might think.

If a leader is interested in more info, PM me and I'll put you in contact with a real expert on organizing Philmont trips.

Hiking Philmont was significantly different from hiking in the East. I'm very glad I made that trip happen for my son and myself.

Cookerhiker
04-09-2008, 18:19
Rats.

Have a good one. I was just in that area last weekend doing trail maintenance with the PATC on the Half Moon Trail. Still winter-like conditions i.e. no Spring growth yet.

OregonHiker
04-09-2008, 20:08

Yes:

That is very high.

In 2006 the Philmont fee was about $550. We arranged our own air fare, about $350 and transportation to and from through Blue Sky adventures, 2 day aboy $350.

Total about $1300

OregonHiker
04-09-2008, 20:14
The thing is, Council organized trips are usually pretty steep. We did a non-council trip from Atlanta for a LOT less, I think the number was around $1300 plus spending money. Drove out over two days instead of flying and doing a charter bus. Drivers were given gas money; the fee for everyone included gasoline contribution. We spent three nights in Red River, NM to acclimate. During that time we visited Taos and on another day did the Combres & Toltec Scenic Railroad (really cool).

Individual troops can put in for Philmont crew slots, you don't have to go through your council as I remember. It can be done a lot more economically than you might think.

If a leader is interested in more info, PM me and I'll put you in contact with a real expert on organizing Philmont trips.

Hiking Philmont was significantly different from hiking in the East. I'm very glad I made that trip happen for my son and myself.

Our group was acouncil contingent, The cost was $1300. I wonder what the extras are for $2200

SteveJ
04-09-2008, 21:27

oh, probably not! I just got back from doing a 50-mile section with my son and his boy scout troop. It was interesting, and highlighted the need for Philmont prep hikes (this was a prep hike for 4 of our older scouts). On day 4, the older boys rebelled. One of the boys was being picked up by his dad, and the other boys argued that they had learned all the lessons they needed to learn (heavy packs suck, food, etc.), and that they were ready to go home..... The SM chuckled, let them argue for a while, then told them that one lesson they forgot to mention was really the main reason for a prep hike: almost always on a long-distance hike (he's led 4 trips to Philmont, 1 to Seabase, and been on 2 to Northern Tier) - on day 4 many want to quit! He emphasized the need to work through interpersonal issues, and that in doing so the boys would have stronger bonds than before. He told them they needed to stay on the trail, and work through whatever issues they had. Today, everyone finished the hike in great spirits!

We finished the hike, the boys got in their service project, and 7 of the boys earned their 50 mile patch. We had 3 12-yr olds join - 2 got 30 miles in, and the other (my son!) got in 50 miles.....

(pic below is SM addressing group on day 4....)

Foyt20
04-09-2008, 22:33

that statement alone is very "elitist" Talk to your council about "scholarships" to go to high adventure camps. Also, contact the national council. I have been to Philmont 3 Times (as a scout, as crew leader, and as adult leader), and i have 2 sisters that have been 3 time between them, and my parents were putting 2 kids through college at the same time. No one would consider them "afluent". Look around, and the chance will find you. The money is there you just have to find it.

Good Luck

:D

sasquatch2014
04-09-2008, 23:49
If I get out there this weekend I'll have to keep an eye out for you and your troop. I am only about 15 min from there and was out that way this past weekend. We are just getting some buds popping open so it's still early spring down here. What part of the trail through the park are you planning to do. There is some great history along the trail in the park like the old mule powered rail bed that the trail uses just south of Rt 301. The stone work still supports the trail after more than a 125 yrs. Now that is craftsmanship.

Tin Man
04-10-2008, 05:34
If I get out there this weekend I'll have to keep an eye out for you and your troop. I am only about 15 min from there and was out that way this past weekend. We are just getting some buds popping open so it's still early spring down here. What part of the trail through the park are you planning to do. There is some great history along the trail in the park like the old mule powered rail bed that the trail uses just south of Rt 301. The stone work still supports the trail after more than a 125 yrs. Now that is craftsmanship.

Tentatively, Sunk Mine Road to a point north of Canopus Lake and blue-blazing back to our campsite in Durland Scout Reservation.

Last weekend, my brother and I hiked Old Route 55 North past Nuclear Lake to Route 22. Just south of Pawling, we stopped to enjoy the view overlooking town and the surrounding country-side - spectacular. The trail was in great shape, except where it was underwater about 100 yards south of Route 22.

Ashman
04-10-2008, 05:36
He goes to council summer camp and last year he and I went to Camp Daniel Boone in NC.

I went CDB as a kid GREAT camp, man I loved that place

sasquatch2014
04-10-2008, 07:31
Tentatively, Sunk Mine Road to a point north of Canopus Lake and blue-blazing back to our campsite in Durland Scout Reservation.

Last weekend, my brother and I hiked Old Route 55 North past Nuclear Lake to Route 22. Just south of Pawling, we stopped to enjoy the view overlooking town and the surrounding country-side - spectacular. The trail was in great shape, except where it was underwater about 100 yards south of Route 22.

Glad to hear you had a good hike on that section. There is a big plan to put a wooden raised walkway across the great swamp similar to the one near the Walkill wildlife refuge in NJ. We did some test work on it this past fall. It is going to be big $$$ to get it completed.

I hope you took time to enjoy the view from the rock overlook because that is all going to change and be houses and a golf course before too long. Land on both sides of the trail after the Dover Oak heading north has been sold to a developer. I am sure you may have seen some of the survey markers. It is just what we need more homes that the average person up here can't afford and one more view of rooftops and roads. I feel this way and I sell real estate for a living imagine how most others feel.

cannonball
04-10-2008, 13:35
that statement alone is very "elitist" Talk to your council about "scholarships" to go to high adventure camps. Also, contact the national council. I have been to Philmont 3 Times (as a scout, as crew leader, and as adult leader), and i have 2 sisters that have been 3 time between them, and my parents were putting 2 kids through college at the same time. No one would consider them "afluent". Look around, and the chance will find you. The money is there you just have to find it.

Good Luck

:D

When one focuses on the obtainment of funds one ends up paying twice the value.

Translation: If we never make it to Philmont our scouting experience won't be incomplete. My son learning accomlishment won't be a product of the arena but rather a result of the game itself.

Foyt20
04-10-2008, 14:20
When one focuses on the obtainment of funds one ends up paying twice the value.

Translation: If we never make it to Philmont our scouting experience won't be incomplete. My son learning accomlishment won't be a product of the arena but rather a result of the game itself.

Ahhhhh, very inciteful :D. Just saying that my trips were some of the highlights of my scouting experience. It is worth every penny and more. Just saying that there is always a way :D;)

cannonball
04-10-2008, 14:41
Gottcha. glad you had such great experiences.

NICKTHEGREEK
04-10-2008, 15:11
I have met groups of 20+ and led groups of 20+ on various trails. Never saw an issue except for camping and I have purposefully secured off-trail campsites for this trip and one in May.

Look familiar?
January, 2008

Requirements for the Backpacking merit badge:

Discuss the prevention of and treatment for the health concerns that could occur while backpacking, including hypothermia, heat reactions, frostbite, dehydration, insect stings, tick bites, snakebite, and blisters.
Do the following:
List 10 items that are essential to be carried on any backpacking trek and explain why each item is necessary.
Describe 10 ways you can limit the weight and bulk to be carried in your pack without jeopardizing your health or safety.
Do the following:
Define limits on the number of backpackers appropriate for a trek crew.
Describe how a trek crew should be organized.
Tell how you would minimize risk on a backpacking trek.
Do the following:
Describe the importance of using Leave No Trace principles while backpacking, and at least five ways you can lessen the crew's impact on the environment. Now I haven't been a BSA merit badge advisor in 10 yrs, and I'm not going to run out and buy the BP MB book, but 7-10 max sticks in my mind. I've been wrong many times before--- anyway right or wrong they'll have fun.

LIhikers
04-10-2008, 15:34
Last year my wife and I played leap frog with a scout group in MA. They'd pass us, we'd pass them, they'd pass us, we'd pass them and at the end of the day we always wound up camping in the same places. What a blast we had, the boys were pretty well behaved, and it was nice to have some young blood around. Their group was a little smaller at about a dozen scouts, 5 or 6 dads, and 1 mom. By the time they finished, just north of Mt. Greylock, I felt like we had been adopted by their group. It made for a fun and interesting few days while they earned their 50 mile hike patches. It actually took a couple of days to get used to NOT having them around. :)

Bob S
04-10-2008, 16:42

Having to wait for 20 people to walk by. That should take less them 2-min at most.

Not a big deal.

Foyt20
04-10-2008, 16:45
They do it on Mt. Everest all the time :D

Tin Man
04-10-2008, 16:49
Look familiar?
January, 2008

Requirements for the Backpacking merit badge:

Discuss the prevention of and treatment for the health concerns that could occur while backpacking, including hypothermia, heat reactions, frostbite, dehydration, insect stings, tick bites, snakebite, and blisters.
Do the following:
List 10 items that are essential to be carried on any backpacking trek and explain why each item is necessary.
Describe 10 ways you can limit the weight and bulk to be carried in your pack without jeopardizing your health or safety.
Do the following:

Define limits on the number of backpackers appropriate for a trek crew.
Describe how a trek crew should be organized.
Tell how you would minimize risk on a backpacking trek.
Do the following:

Describe the importance of using Leave No Trace principles while backpacking, and at least five ways you can lessen the crew's impact on the environment.
Now I haven't been a BSA merit badge advisor in 10 yrs, and I'm not going to run out and buy the BP MB book, but 7-10 max sticks in my mind. I've been wrong many times before--- anyway right or wrong they'll have fun.

Thanks for the thought, but this is a Troop excursion, not Backpacking Merit Badge. I cannot invite only half the Troop. Everyone who signs up gets to go and I am the only experienced adult leader to show them the way. We are base camping and day hiking...for Hiking Merit Badge. Breaking the Troop up into two groups for Saturday's 10 mile hike has crossed my mind, but this is our first big hike, so I am playing that by ear. It is a slow process to wean them off car camping and I need to make sure they are ready before taking on bigger challenges.

OregonHiker
04-10-2008, 17:03
that statement alone is very "elitist"

Please explain

mudhead
04-10-2008, 17:46

Still a pile of dough.

I now see why scouts are scarce in Maine.

Tin Man
04-10-2008, 18:59
Still a pile of dough.

I now see why scouts are scarce in Maine.

This is usually a once in a life trip for Scouts. Like I said earlier, many conduct fundraisers in order to go, which in itself is a good experience for the boys. Most of scouting involves simple, low-cost weekend camping trips and many do not take the big trip to Philmont.

SteveJ
04-10-2008, 19:16
This is usually a once in a life trip for Scouts. Like I said earlier, many conduct fundraisers in order to go, which in itself is a good experience for the boys. Most of scouting involves simple, low-cost weekend camping trips and many do not take the big trip to Philmont.

I would say (and I'm sure Tin Man will agree), that the vast majority don't make a trip to any of the three BSA High Adventure Camps: Philmont (emphasis on backpacking or horseback riding), Sea Base (emphasis on ocean sports in the Florida Keys), or the Northern Tier (emphasis on wilderness canoeing in the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness Area). These are all relatively expensive trips where you not only must pay the BSA, which acts as the outfitter / provider of guide (in the case of Northern Tier and some trips at Sea Base) / provider of program (everything from shotgun shooting to donkey races at Philmont), but must also outfit yourself properly and pay for transportation.... Our troop has several fundraising opportunities for scouts that are participating in a troop crew to any of these bases.

I took my oldest son to Northern Tier when he was 14. He dropped out of Scouting within a year, just short of making Eagle Scout (he now says that this trip is one of his favorite memories). My middle son, who made Eagle, was not interested. I'm hoping the youngest is still interested when he turns 14 - he loves backpacking now!

ki0eh
04-10-2008, 22:17

Maybe the lead photo on this page will get them to go: http://www.greateasterntrail.org/

gold bond
04-11-2008, 10:26
POPCOR, POPCORN,POPCORN!!!!! Most of our scouts sold enough of the stuff to pay for half or more of thier trip.

envirodiver
04-11-2008, 11:42
Biggest fundraiser I was ever associated with was when in the Scouts.

We sold lightbulbs, door to door.

Almost everyone needs lightbulbs and it is so easy to forget to pick them up at the store. You always remember when you turn on the light at home.

Have a great trip Tin Man!!!!

Chantilly Lace
04-11-2008, 12:11
Tin Man,

Sounds like a fabulous trek. Give us a report when you get back!

X-LinkedHiker
04-11-2008, 12:44
It's great to see that people are still scouting. It seems like every year you see less and less boy/girl scouts out there. Whether it be in town, on the trails or in the camp sites.

Thoughtful Owl
04-11-2008, 14:15
I would say (and I'm sure Tin Man will agree), that the vast majority don't make a trip to any of the three BSA High Adventure Camps: Philmont (emphasis on backpacking or horseback riding), Sea Base (emphasis on ocean sports in the Florida Keys), or the Northern Tier (emphasis on wilderness canoeing in the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness Area). These are all relatively expensive trips where you not only must pay the BSA, which acts as the outfitter / provider of guide (in the case of Northern Tier and some trips at Sea Base) / provider of program (everything from shotgun shooting to donkey races at Philmont), but must also outfit yourself properly and pay for transportation.... Our troop has several fundraising opportunities for scouts that are participating in a troop crew to any of these bases.

I took my oldest son to Northern Tier when he was 14. He dropped out of Scouting within a year, just short of making Eagle Scout (he now says that this trip is one of his favorite memories). My middle son, who made Eagle, was not interested. I'm hoping the youngest is still interested when he turns 14 - he loves backpacking now!

Philmont here we come!

Tin Man
04-11-2008, 14:35
OK fellas, have a good weekend. I am off to finish packing and load the car. The weather predictions are sounder better. Hope our new Eureka Timberlines don't leak or the Assistant Scoutmaster (me) is not going to be too popular. ;)

Bob S
04-11-2008, 14:40
Popcorn.

When I was in the Boy Scouts my brother and I sold a ton of it.

We ate a lot of it also.

CrumbSnatcher
04-11-2008, 14:46
good for you and those scouts!!! i hope its a great weekend

kolokolo
04-11-2008, 22:48
Those boys will always remember this. You may be introducing a future 2000 Miler to the trail.

Fly Rod
04-11-2008, 22:56
a opportunity... teach them the way of the trail

Tin Man
04-13-2008, 20:37
Those boys will always remember this. You may be introducing a future 2000 Miler to the trail.

We just might have sparked the interest in long-distance hiking in at least one boy. When we stopped for breaks on Saturday, I gave them a short talk on different aspects of thru-hiking and section hiking. After one of these breaks, I overheard one of the older boys telling a buddy that he wanted to hike the AT one day.

Lone Wolf
04-13-2008, 20:40

it ain't about doin' the whole thing. thru - hikin' is a marathon

Tin Man
04-13-2008, 21:10
Thanks again for all the kind words. We had an excellent weekend of backpacking. On Friday, we managed to hike into our destination campsite get setup, gather wood and get the fire going before dark. Everyone enjoyed their bag dinner around the campfire. Some boys prepared smores for desert. Rain was predicted and it held off until 10:30 pm. Thunder storms passed in the distance early in the morning. Some mothers called to check on their husbands and boys because the storms passing through the home front were very loud, more than one said their house shook from the thunder.

Saturday morning the weather cleared early and each patrol cooked breakfast, did their KP and packed lunch along with the 10 essentials for a 7 mile day hike, about 3 miles on the AT and 4 blue blazing back to camp. Most of the boys did very well with the hike, but we did have two younger scouts who were having a hard time keeping up, so we cut it short of the targeted 10 miles. Being this was their first hike carrying a pack, we decided it would be better to quit while we were ahead around mid-afternoon. We also wanted to allow them enough time to relax and have some free time rather than make them hike until supper time.

Just when we thought we had tired them out, they started running around the campsite and they played capture the flag. I told the scoutmaster that maybe we didn't hike them enough. We laughed and agreed that the day went well and we were better off breaking them into backpacking slowly and take this as a big win. They really seemed to have fun and later around the fire later that night they talked about the great hike they had.

Sunday morning, we packed up, policed the area and headed for a planned stop at a local maple syrup farm for a pancake breakfast ... with maple bacon! After breakfast the owner gave the boys a short tour of the maple syrup "factory" and gave a very interesting talk about how the sap is collected and turned into syrup. We were home by early afternoon.

I think they are all looking forward to more backpacking in May.

Tin Man
04-13-2008, 21:13
it ain't about doin' the whole thing. thru - hikin' is a marathon

I did talk to the boys about the difficulties of doing the AT in one go and promoted the benefits of section hiking. I think they appreciated the notion that hiking is fun when you limit how much you do at once versus turning it into an occupation for 6 months.

Tankerhoosen
04-14-2008, 00:12
Good job getting them outside Tinman! Keep it up!

River Runner
04-14-2008, 00:25
Great job Tinman. I commend you on having the foresight to have a back-up plan so you could cut the hike shorter so the boys had a great time.

SteveJ
04-14-2008, 01:15
Sounds like a great trip!

gold bond
04-14-2008, 09:14
Scouting is outing!!! Great job, glad everyone had a great time and stayed safe.

sasquatch2014
04-14-2008, 10:33
I was on my way north along NY Rt 22 and stopped at the trail pull off to have my lunch when I saw a bunch of scouts coming down the trail. At first I thought that you had changed your plans and wereover in this section. It turned out that it was a troop from just over the NY CT line out for a halfday hike in from Hoyt Rd to Rt 22. I guess it was Scout day on Saturday. Glad to see people out there enjoying the trails.

grquinn
04-14-2008, 11:00
Thanks again for all the kind words. We had an excellent weekend of backpacking. On Friday, we managed to hike into our destination campsite get setup, gather wood and get the fire going before dark. Everyone enjoyed their bag dinner around the campfire. Some boys prepared smores for desert. Rain was predicted and it held off until 10:30 pm. Thunder storms passed in the distance early in the morning. Some mothers called to check on their husbands and boys because the storms passing through the home front were very loud, more than one said their house shook from the thunder.

Saturday morning the weather cleared early and each patrol cooked breakfast, did their KP and packed lunch along with the 10 essentials for a 7 mile day hike, about 3 miles on the AT and 4 blue blazing back to camp. Most of the boys did very well with the hike, but we did have two younger scouts who were having a hard time keeping up, so we cut it short of the targeted 10 miles. Being this was their first hike carrying a pack, we decided it would be better to quit while we were ahead around mid-afternoon. We also wanted to allow them enough time to relax and have some free time rather than make them hike until supper time.

Just when we thought we had tired them out, they started running around the campsite and they played capture the flag. I told the scoutmaster that maybe we didn't hike them enough. We laughed and agreed that the day went well and we were better off breaking them into backpacking slowly and take this as a big win. They really seemed to have fun and later around the fire later that night they talked about the great hike they had.

Sunday morning, we packed up, policed the area and headed for a planned stop at a local maple syrup farm for a pancake breakfast ... with maple bacon! After breakfast the owner gave the boys a short tour of the maple syrup "factory" and gave a very interesting talk about how the sap is collected and turned into syrup. We were home by early afternoon.

I think they are all looking forward to more backpacking in May.

Now that's the spirit! Excellent!

grquinn
04-14-2008, 11:16
I did talk to the boys about the difficulties of doing the AT in one go and promoted the benefits of section hiking. I think they appreciated the notion that hiking is fun when you limit how much you do at once versus turning it into an occupation for 6 months.

I read an article in the ATC newsletter archives about six young scouts from New York City who thru-hiked the entire length of the AT in the 1930's. Several miles of the AT had not been completed but they hiked 2000 miles if I'm not mistaken. The boys ages ranged from 15-17 I believe. What an adventure that must have been.

Tin Man
04-14-2008, 12:49
I read an article in the ATC newsletter archives about six young scouts from New York City who thru-hiked the entire length of the AT in the 1930's. Several miles of the AT had not been completed but they hiked 2000 miles if I'm not mistaken. The boys ages ranged from 15-17 I believe. What an adventure that must have been.

Are you sure about those dates? Earl Shaffer is generally accepted as the first AT thru-hiker... in 1948.

LIhikers
04-14-2008, 13:02
Sunday morning,....headed for a planned stop at a local maple syrup farm for a pancake breakfast ... with maple bacon! After breakfast the owner gave the boys a short tour of the maple syrup "factory" and gave a very interesting talk about how the sap is collected and turned into syrup.

Was that at the Taconic Environmental Center?

Dirtygaiters
04-14-2008, 13:17
Tin Man,
That's awesome that you organized such a great trip for so many kids. Scouting is a great and important experience in young people's lives.

I have to say something, though. 20+ people is a huge group and next time I'd encourage you to split it up into 2-3 smaller subgroups that camp in different places and hike at different paces. LNT advises group size to be less than 10 for a reason. The larger the group, the larger the wake of destruction, no matter how careful people are (and speaking from experience Scouts aren't very careful). It's also respectful to other hikers to limit your group size (and IMO, unfair to expect other hikers to clear off the trail as you and your ungainly group walk by or set up lunch in some area). Granted, the AT is heavily impacted already so who cares about a little more heavy impact? Well, on the AT, I guess the main concern would just be respect for other hikers and if you do or don't respect other hikers is up to you. However, you'd be setting a really good example for these kids by following LNT well. Many of these kids will probably go more trips later in life to places that are more wild, and by following LNT well, you'll have at least done your part to instill good wilderness ethic in them. Otherwise, how are they going to learn good wilderness ethic if their Scoutmasters don't follow LNT very well?

/end of rant

Thoughtful Owl
04-14-2008, 13:38
Tin Man,
That's awesome that you organized such a great trip for so many kids. Scouting is a great and important experience in young people's lives.

I have to say something, though. 20+ people is a huge group and next time I'd encourage you to split it up into 2-3 smaller subgroups that camp in different places and hike at different paces. LNT advises group size to be less than 10 for a reason. The larger the group, the larger the wake of destruction, no matter how careful people are (and speaking from experience Scouts aren't very careful). It's also respectful to other hikers to limit your group size (and IMO, unfair to expect other hikers to clear off the trail as you and your ungainly group walk by or set up lunch in some area). Granted, the AT is heavily impacted already so who cares about a little more heavy impact? Well, on the AT, I guess the main concern would just be respect for other hikers and if you do or don't respect other hikers is up to you. However, you'd be setting a really good example for these kids by following LNT well. Many of these kids will probably go more trips later in life to places that are more wild, and by following LNT well, you'll have at least done your part to instill good wilderness ethic in them. Otherwise, how are they going to learn good wilderness ethic if their Scoutmasters don't follow LNT very well?

/end of rant

You need to go back and read post #1 in this thread to get the full details and better understand the experience Tim Man offered these scouts.

Dirtygaiters
04-14-2008, 13:56
I did read post #1. It sounded like a great experience, like any successful Scout outing. My point was about setting a good example of wilderness ethic for young Scouts and why I think it's important.

Tin Man
04-14-2008, 14:08
I did read post #1. It sounded like a great experience, like any successful Scout outing. My point was about setting a good example of wilderness ethic for young Scouts and why I think it's important.

Well, we camped in a campsite designated for 50 boys in a boy scout camp. For hiking, I did not see a big difference between hiking with 27 people in one, two or three groups - it is still 27 people going down the trail. I did ask everyone to step aside if we came across any hikers and they did do just that - anything for a break. ;)

We talked LNT as far as it goes. They learned to hike by staying on the trails and respect signage to keep out of protected areas and private property. They learned how to only gather wood that was down and dead. They learned not to throw anything but sticks and wood into the fire. They learned how to avoid disturbing nature in general. And they did a pretty darn good job of all of it.

Tin Man
04-14-2008, 14:13
Was that at the Taconic Environmental Center?

Niese Maple Farm

http://www.pcnr.com/news/2006/0614/Front_Page/005.html

Bear Cables
04-28-2008, 01:26

I began my hiking experiences with the Scouts. (Mom of two Eagles and 2X Philmont.) Hope your troop remembers to be mindful of other camper/hikers. Last summer my friend and I shared a campsite with a troop . The boys were really great until they woke up at 5am and made soooo much noise. We were trying to sleep a little longer but that wasn't happening!

Bear Cables
04-28-2008, 01:31
Tin, We had a group of 12 Scouts and adults this past weekend that is going to Philmont this year on trail. We hiked from Sams Gap to the other side of Big Bald and camped then back to Sams Gap the next morning.
Alot of the boys had been following the weather and as we pulled into Sams Gap it was raining, I mean a real frog starngler! The boys wanted to cancell. We waited untill the rain was managable and set off. We had several gear shake downs as well as this was our second "shakedown" hike. Still some of the boys were not prepared for that type of conditions.After we got back to the scout hut we had a "thorn and roses" type discussion. All the boys had a great time and could not stop talking about how they were ready to get out again as we have one maybe two more hikes. All the boys have to make two out of three hikes and we will have another one just for the fun of it. We told the boys that the reason we went on with this hike is once your on trail....you have got to keep going.We can't change the weather just learn how to be prepared for it and deal with it.
We all had a great time and thanks to all the trail maintainers in that section as it was immaculate!

I love Thorns and Roses! It is such a great way of reflecting. We still do it when we hike and my boys are 23 and 26. The woman's group I hike,canoe and camp with does it too.

SteveJ
04-28-2008, 10:32
I love Thorns and Roses! It is such a great way of reflecting. We still do it when we hike and my boys are 23 and 26. The woman's group I hike,canoe and camp with does it too.

we've added "buds" - as in rosebuds, or things that you're hoping for tomorrow....

great stuff!

Bear Cables
04-28-2008, 14:15
we've added "buds" - as in rosebuds, or things that you're hoping for tomorrow....

great stuff!

I like that addition!