PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrated pesto

krazychefkurtis
04-09-2008, 00:27
Anyone ever make dehydrated pesto? I'm guessing you don't use oil and add it a' la trail?

Appalachian Tater
04-09-2008, 00:33
I have never bought it but they have packets you can buy.

It's easy to make from scratch: basil, olive oil, cheese, garlic, pine nuts, pepper, a little lemon maybe. You can also use pecans or walnuts.

The problem is, oil doesn't really dehydrate, and pesto is so much better with fresh basil. I would be more likely to just take a container of fresh pesto. It should last several days.

fiddlehead
04-09-2008, 00:58
Also, if it is out of season (basil) and expensive, you can substitute spinach for basil.
Tastes great also. I love pesto ever since my buddy Joe used to send it to me on the PCT in '96 (3 or 4 times he sent me a whole litre in a nalgene, i wasn't going to carry that much so always gave about half of it away. Many PCT '96 hikers looked forward to my packages from Joe)

Drying the greens (basil or spinach) carrying the nuts and cheese and oil separate, wouldn't save much weight that i see. Just carry one or two meals worth and eat it first nights out IMO
good stuff for sure.

gumball
04-09-2008, 05:28
Not dehydrated--but so good for a treat--is a tube of pesto, the size of a travel tube of toothpaste, that I found in the Italian foods section of the grocery store. Very good and, although I generally travel very light and use freezer bag meals, I love this on tortilla wraps.

Sorry, just an aside and an alternative.

gearfreak
04-09-2008, 09:49
Last night my wife made a bean stew from a recipe she found which uses multiple types of beans and gets all of its flavor from pesto that's stirred in when it's served. Dried the leftovers for 6 hours and it's perfect. :cool:

sarbar
04-09-2008, 11:33
You can find a number of recipes online for making pesto dry mixes :) Just add oil on trail! Though for a commercial mix the Simply Organic one is pretty decent.

envirodiver
04-09-2008, 11:39
Knorr makes a good commercial one also. Add olive oil, and water and I usually add a little extra parmesean when done. I've found that when solo I can split the package, cook my pasta al dente pour off some water then add the mix and oil directly to the pasta and remaining water, stir it up and add cheese.

SteelReserve
02-09-2009, 16:43
I have used Knorr's pesto mixes several times - the first time I followed the directions on the package (adding water, simmering for a bit, etc.) but it is much easier just to add oil and the powder directly to the pasta.

bigcranky
02-09-2009, 17:23
Not dehydrated--but so good for a treat--is a tube of pesto, the size of a travel tube of toothpaste, that I found in the Italian foods section of the grocery store. Very good and, although I generally travel very light and use freezer bag meals, I love this on tortilla wraps.

That is a freaking awesome idea. I've used the tube pesto, but it never occurred to me to make a sandwich with it. It's going in my pack next month -- thanks!