PDA

View Full Version : Clothing

JWren
04-09-2008, 01:57
I am going on a hike this summer and possibly more, what do you recommend to use as shirts, shorts, underware even, socks especially sock, i have a Mountain hardware Wicking shirt and for shorts i have used atletic nylon and i have use tennis shoes, i just want some recommendations, need extra help with socks, feet need to stay dry the hike will be about 4-5 days

warraghiyagey
04-09-2008, 02:00
2 pairs Smartwool
2 pairs sock liners

88BlueGT
04-09-2008, 02:41
definetly get yourself a pair of thin wool socks. Also, is there room in the budget for new shoes? I wouldnt trust used tennis shoes on the trail. Depends where you are going also. NJ/PA tons of rocks and in tennis shoes your feet would be killing you in a few hours.

88BlueGT
04-09-2008, 02:43
And as for clothes, just try and stay away from cotton. People stay away from cotton in the winter because of hypothermia. You don't have to worry about that in the summer time but cotton takes for ever to dry out so anything synthetic will dry ten times faster (washing clothes in streams, sweaty clothes, etc.).

fiddlehead
04-09-2008, 09:45
Yeah, it depends where you are going. Cotton is fine in dry climate areas.

Running shoes are probably better than tennis shoes.
It's a good idea to buy them a size bigger than your normal shoes. (feet spread out a bit when you put weight on your back plus friction causes blisters)

I like fleece socks when it's cold, many like wool, some just use lightweight nylon.
Some like liners, some don't. Take a few choices along and let us know what YOU like afterwards.
Keeping your feet dry is next to impossible if you get enough rain. Just learn to enjoy hiking with wet feet and have a pair of dry, warm socks for sleeping in your pack.

weary
04-09-2008, 10:04
I am going on a hike this summer and possibly more, what do you recommend to use as shirts, shorts, underware even, socks especially sock, i have a Mountain hardware Wicking shirt and for shorts i have used atletic nylon and i have use tennis shoes, i just want some recommendations, need extra help with socks, feet need to stay dry the hike will be about 4-5 days
I would just wear whatever you normally wear while being active outside. Feet always get wet when it rains. But they will dry when the sun comes out.

Try to do some walking with a pack on rough ground before you go to try out your foot wear. All kids used sneakers for hiking 50 years ago, so they may be adequate, or you may decide you need something with thicker soles. Key thing is not to load yourself down with a too heavy pack.

Weary

Thoughtful Owl
04-09-2008, 10:12
And as for clothes, just try and stay away from cotton. People stay away from cotton in the winter because of hypothermia. You don't have to worry about that in the summer time but cotton takes for ever to dry out so anything synthetic will dry ten times faster (washing clothes in streams, sweaty clothes, etc.).

Yikes, what a misconception! Granted hypothermia isn't as common in the summer time, it can and does occur. Hypothermia occurs when body core temperature lowers below 35°C/95°F. The onset can be subtle and creep up on you. Hypothermia does NOT require temperatures below freezing to occur, in fact more people die of hypothermia in the summer than in the winter!

for more info read this link http://www.outdoored.com/articles/article.aspx?articleid=122

JWren
04-09-2008, 21:26
Running shoes are probably better than tennis shoes.

I am a runner, i am on my high school's cross country team and track, 800-mile, i run about 35 miles a week, possibly 40 or 50 in cross and about 20-25 in track per week,

To Clarify, when i said tennis shoes i meant Running Shoes, i am looking at using my Mizuno Wave Rider 11s

Are the Wigwam socks good and could i get by with the low cut to hike in and longer ones as a dry pair

Summit
04-09-2008, 22:07
I have tried the low-cut Wigwams with liners and they did OK. I would go with the Thorlo regular length and just turn them down if you like. Then you have the option of turning them up if you encounter stinging nettles, briers, etc.

Blissful
04-09-2008, 22:22
Running shoes would probably be okay, if your hike isn't too long and the terrain isn't too rocky. You might consider trail runners though with better traction and more support for longer distances. Remember too, that if you wear your running shoes, you will wear then down quicker, so you may not be able to use them afterwards for real running without developing some calf issues, etc.

And with running shoes or trail runners, you would likley only need one pair of socks as they ventilate well. I like light hikers with some merino wool in them. They seem to hold up better.

Wags
04-09-2008, 22:23
i prefer low cut socks to hike in unless it's really cold. i don't like the feeling of that bunched up on my ankle... if the bugs are out i'd just as soon put on track pants rather than pull my socks up (and up and up if the elastic wears out). although i'm sure summit's plan works for him. try a bunch of different styles and see which you like best!

imo hiking in the summer your socks will get wet and stinky no matter what style/brand you buy. please don't feel the need to go buy expensive hiking socks just b/c you're hiking. just keep changing em during the day, cycling from feet to pinned on your pack to feet to pack etc.

i too come from an athletic background and just use a lot of the stuff i used for sports out on the trail. some of the 'hiking' stuff is great, but some of it is unnecessary for me (example: do i really need to buy a capilene base layer when i already own under armor/nike dryfit? i found that i enjoy track pants way better than nylon convertible hiking pants, in summer i wear the sgt rock recommended white nylon dress socks from walmart, 3 pairs for 4 bucks). you'll find your own way!

WORD
04-10-2008, 11:34
running shoes are fine. just be a little extra cautios of where you place your feet, as you dont have as much tortional support that trail runners may give. if you do this your shoes will last longer as well.

88BlueGT
04-10-2008, 16:34
Never heard of someone getting hypothermia in the summer... I have heard of people getting it in the 50's but not in the summer. I dunno, I'm a young man though, what do I know? :rolleyes:

4eyedbuzzard
04-10-2008, 17:29
Never heard of someone getting hypothermia in the summer... I have heard of people getting it in the 50's but not in the summer. I dunno, I'm a young man though, what do I know? :rolleyes:

Um, it can drop below 50 almost anywhere on the trail in the mountains during the summer, especially and most obviously at night. And it undoubtably will in VT, NH, and ME. Hypothermia is a potential danger virtually everywhere on the trail and in every season.

Every year there are cases of hypothermia in the White Mountains in the dead of summer. And it happens in the higher elevations in the south as well.

bigcranky
04-10-2008, 19:59
1/4-height coolmax or other synthetic socks. Your feet are going to get wet when it rains - really - but in running shoes they will dry quickly.

Some people wear very light wool socks in warm weather. They are more expensive and slower to dry, but better for temperature control.

Other clothing:

Synthetic t-shirt, and nylon running shorts are a good choice. I like to take a very light long-sleeve top for camp or cooler days. A very light sub-3 oz wind shirt. Depending on the location and time of year, I may take a waterproof shell jacket -- but more likely a wide-brimmed rain hat in summer. A second pair of socks, and maybe a second pair of shorts. Maybe my 4.5-oz Montbell down vest if I expect cooler evenings. Nylon baseball hat for hiking. That's pretty much it.

Happy trails.