PDA

View Full Version : Beard...

wally
04-09-2008, 06:37
Was just wondering if people thought it was feasible to hike the trail with a beard...? :)

sofaking
04-09-2008, 06:38
absolutely not.

4eyedbuzzard
04-09-2008, 06:41
It's against the rules and isn't proper hiking etiquette. :rolleyes: [joking]

Many hikers grow beards if they haven't started with one. Some shave occaisionally(towns). Rare ones daily. Whatever you prefer.

NICKTHEGREEK
04-09-2008, 06:54
Was just wondering if people thought it was feasible to hike the trail with a beard...? :)
Why cultivate on your face what grows wild on your a$$?

Two Speed
04-09-2008, 06:58
Because it's more sanitary to keep leftovers in your beard?

saimyoji
04-09-2008, 07:41
PM Minnesotasmith to get his ideas on beards. :rolleyes:

KirkMcquest
04-09-2008, 07:58
Ask this guy;

http://itrocks.biteus.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/beard5.jpg

warraghiyagey
04-09-2008, 08:12
I sometimes felt like I was the only guy on the trail that did shave.:cool:

Johnny Swank
04-09-2008, 09:02
I actually did shave in towns on my thru-hike. Looking back, I have no idea why.

Ditched my razor on the Mississippi River, and will never go back to that barbaric practice again!

Lone Wolf
04-09-2008, 09:03
w t f is shaving?

Bearpaw
04-09-2008, 09:04

You should ask if it's feasible to hike the trail without a beard since that seemed to be the exception (unless you were a lady hiker, and even then sometimes....). :D

Tipi Walter
04-09-2008, 09:31
You should ask if it's feasible to hike the trail without a beard since that seemed to be the exception (unless you were a lady hiker, and even then sometimes....). :D

I saw a lady at a Rainbow Gathering who had a nice goatee going. Sorry, no pics on this one.

Footslogger
04-09-2008, 09:39
I ended up with a little "5 O'clock Shadow" now and then ...

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/0/wilderness.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23760&original=1&c=530)

'Slogger

Deadeye
04-09-2008, 10:01
As every UL hiker knows, beards are heavy. Those few ounces of hair on your face translate into 10,000 pounds on your knees, at least. You'll need a third trekking pole to make up for the extra weight.

Strategic
04-09-2008, 10:33
Perhaps you might show your political acumen by trimming your beard from time to time on the trail, thus revealing yourself as a man of judgment; a moderate on the vexed question of beardism.

quasarr
04-09-2008, 10:43
how does Whiteblaze feel about styles other than a full beard? mustache only? goatee? :-?

I'm fine with anything that isn't a "soul patch." those are just gross

taildragger
04-09-2008, 10:45
As every UL hiker knows, beards are heavy. Those few ounces of hair on your face translate into 10,000 pounds on your knees, at least. You'll need a third trekking pole to make up for the extra weight.

Nonsense. A properly trimmed beard will function as a sun hat, balaclava, wool vest, and a dish rag, just to name a few.

If anything, my beard is my most versatile piece of equipment

taildragger
04-09-2008, 10:47
how does Whiteblaze feel about styles other than a full beard? mustache only? goatee? :-?

I'm fine with anything that isn't a "soul patch." those are just gross

Nothing short of this
http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v121/35/35/9603766/n9603766_34769029_8838.jpg

Thats a good 3monther with some trimming, grown for turkey hunting. A true hiker beard should be longer and possibly thicker

Tipi Walter
04-09-2008, 11:05
Nonsense. A properly trimmed beard will function as a sun hat, balaclava, wool vest, and a dish rag, just to name a few.

If anything, my beard is my most versatile piece of equipment

I agree totally. Head hair or beard hair, both work well as a wool vest or a balaclava. Another style which has great variation is my wolfman look, and it works in various social situations, etc. Sometimes totally hiding the face is important, at other times revealing a bit of the nose and lips is equally recommended.

minnesotasmith
04-09-2008, 12:34

But unwise IM considered O. Aside from making it harder to get hitches, yogi stays in townspeople's homes, etc., there's a terrible danger associated with having a beard on a LD hike on a trail where there are other hikers. (I can't tell you what it is, as last time I did my post got deleted, but suffice it to say it's a fate many hikers would prefer death to.) ;)

Lone Wolf
04-09-2008, 12:38
But unwise IM considered O. Aside from making it harder to get hitches, yogi stays in townspeople's homes, etc., there's a terrible danger associated with having a beard on a LD hike on a trail where there are other hikers. (I can't tell you what it is, as last time I did my post got deleted, but suffice it to say it's a fate many hikers would prefer death to.) ;)

that's all bs. i've never had trouble with hitches, etc.

Hooch
04-09-2008, 12:42
that's all bs. i've never had trouble with hitches, etc.Yeah, but you're special. :D

max patch
04-09-2008, 12:52
there's a terrible danger associated with having a beard on a LD hike on a trail where there are other hikers. (I can't tell you what it is, as last time I did my post got deleted, but suffice it to say it's a fate many hikers would prefer death to.) ;)

That was a Seinfeld episode....

I know you don't need a beard.

I don't either.

minnesotasmith
04-09-2008, 12:57
Why cultivate on your face what grows wild on your a$$?

That's one of the best lines I've seen on WB. Definitely don't want anyone to get those two ends mixed up. ;)

minnesotasmith
04-09-2008, 12:59
that's all bs. i've never had trouble with hitches, etc.

Hitches are easier to get, and it's harder to quantify success or its lack. Getting invited to stay in people's home is another matter. I got taken into people's homes without even hinting easily 7 times during my thruhike. How're your #s? :D

saimyoji
04-09-2008, 13:00
That's one of the best lines I've seen on WB. Definitely don't want anyone to get those two ends mixed up. ;)

Something tells me you'd have no problem with that. :D

10-K
04-09-2008, 13:48
I agree totally. Head hair or beard hair, both work well as a wool vest or a balaclava. Another style which has great variation is my wolfman look, and it works in various social situations, etc. Sometimes totally hiding the face is important, at other times revealing a bit of the nose and lips is equally recommended.

Dude... that's the Cousin It look! Very cool, wish I could do that.

Hooch
04-09-2008, 13:51
Dude... that's the Cousin It look! Very cool, wish I could do that.I'm not into beards for myself, mostly because I look like I have mange when I try to grow one. But I wouldn't mind going for the Red Duke (http://utsurg.uth.tmc.edu/trauma/biographies/duke.html) moustache. Dr. Duke is one of my heroes, utmost respect for the man. Very cool, if I could ever grow one. :(

1azarus
04-09-2008, 17:12
This is an amazingly entertaining thread. And it has the most useful information. Thank you.

sofaking
04-09-2008, 17:13
pencil thin mustaches are making a comeback...because i'm sporting one. chicks dig it.

Hooch
04-09-2008, 17:28
pencil thin mustaches are making a comeback...because i'm sporting one. chicks dig it.You mean the Boston Blackie kind? Do you have a two-tone Ricky Ricardo jacket and an autographed picture of Andy Devine to go with it? :D

1azarus
04-09-2008, 17:50
pencil thin mustaches are making a comeback...because i'm sporting one. chicks dig it.

sure. the pencil thin isn't just comfortable... its... what?

mudhead
04-09-2008, 18:01
You mean the Boston Blackie kind? Do you have a two-tone Ricky Ricardo jacket and an autographed picture of Andy Devine to go with it? :D

Parrothead.

taildragger
04-09-2008, 19:05
Hitches are easier to get, and it's harder to quantify success or its lack. Getting invited to stay in people's home is another matter. I got taken into people's homes without even hinting easily 7 times during my thruhike. How're your #s? :D

Personally I'd never pick up a hitch hiker w/o a beard, that means that they thought this out and are more likely to kill me.

OTOH, if a girl were to draw a beard and then hitch, I'd drive 3 hrs out of my way for that.

As far as staying at my house...no, maybe using the hose in the morning. I just don't want that funk funking up my house

Hooch
04-09-2008, 19:10
Parrothead.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Few things make me smile like when Mr. Buffett sings a song for me. :D

Frosty
04-09-2008, 19:14
NICE beard!
I ended up with a little "5 O'clock Shadow" now and then ...

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/0/wilderness.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23760&original=1&c=530)

'Slogger

Frosty
04-09-2008, 19:24
Definitely don't want anyone to get those two ends mixed up. ;)Well, maybe if reincarnation is real, you'll have a second chance to get it right .... :D

minnesotasmith
04-09-2008, 19:26
Well, maybe if reincarnation is real, you'll have a second chance to get it right .... :D

The danger is that for bearded hikers, other people may mix up one of their ends for the other. As a nonbeardo, no danger for me. ;)

Foyt20
04-09-2008, 19:34

I already have a third treking pole ;)

taildragger
04-09-2008, 20:08
The danger is that for bearded hikers, other people may mix up one of their ends for the other. As a nonbeardo, no danger for me. ;)

Are you sure, maybe your just doubly hairless and quadruply confused

Cookerhiker
04-09-2008, 20:30
Perhaps you might show your political acumen by trimming your beard from time to time on the trail, thus revealing yourself as a man of judgment; a moderate on the vexed question of beardism.

In the 9 years I've had my beard, I've always trimmed it but recently decided to stop, except for where the mustache part curls into my mouth. Don't think I'll ever approach L Wolf's length but I'm curious to see how far it can go.

Some have advised me to shave because my hair has very little gray but my beard is heavily silver-streaked but I like it that way. The hair will catch up soon enough - perhaps in 2 weeks when I turn 60!

Cookerhiker
04-09-2008, 20:32

Isn't that what Bud Abbott had?

kayak karl
04-09-2008, 20:39
im shaving my head and anything else i want., but the beard and mustache are going on the hike:)

Lone Wolf
04-09-2008, 20:46

you're still FOS and don't know what you speak of. only 7 times in 9 months invited into homes? :) gypsy and i no less than 15 in 2000

minnesotasmith
04-09-2008, 23:09
you're still FOS and don't know what you speak of. only 7 times in 9 months invited into homes? :) gypsy and i no less than 15 in 2000

It was easier for you with a lady companion? Everyone thinks a psycho will be a lone male. Bet it was Gypsy that got you such invites more than your beard (okay, and your honest face and entertaining conversation).

When you were alone would be closer to apples and apples.

Wags
04-09-2008, 23:52
i would think the less hair the more sanitary

kayak karl
04-10-2008, 05:32
i would think the less hair the more sanitary
easier to find ticks or bites

CaseyB
04-10-2008, 08:53

Yes. This Beard would be best....
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0063896/

mudhead
04-10-2008, 08:55
Everyone thinks a psycho will be a lone male.

In certain cases.

max patch
04-10-2008, 09:29
This is my favorite beard:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3935803648/nm0000506

Hooch
04-10-2008, 09:42
......Everyone thinks a psycho will be a lone male......There's no such thing as everyone, just like there's no such thing as no one, always and never. :D

LIhikers
04-12-2008, 10:29
w t f is shaving?

I don't know. I do own a razor but I think they stopped making the blades it takes about 20 years ago. :rolleyes:

minnesotasmith
04-12-2008, 11:02
w t f is shaving?

Standard periodic personal hygiene for American males not polygamists, hippies that didn't get the word the 1960s ended a long time ago, people whose home address is a purloined Wal-Mart shopping cart, potential locals in a Deliverance remake, liberal college professors, or Muslim fundamentalists. ;)

X-LinkedHiker
04-12-2008, 11:35
Beards are quite useful. They certainly help protect you when you get hit in the mouth with a branch you didn't see flinging back at you from another hiker. They also work great to make sure you waste no food. (Save it for later)

taildragger
04-12-2008, 11:42
Standard periodic personal hygiene for American males not polygamists, hippies that didn't get the word the 1960s ended a long time ago, people whose home address is a purloined Wal-Mart shopping cart, potential locals in a Deliverance remake, liberal college professors, or Muslim fundamentalists. ;)

Hrmm, never met a bearded soul that fit into your categories MS, try again

minnesotasmith
04-12-2008, 11:51
Hrmm, never met a bearded soul that fit into your categories MS, try again

That would mean you'd not been on a college campus, a major city downtown, near a homeless shelter/halfway house, small towns in Utah or surrounding states, small southern towns bypassed by Interstate highways, outside a rock/alternative music store, anywhere near Democrat/Greens/NORML political events, a motorcycle dealership, or inside a natural foods store. You don't get around much, I see. ;)

Hooch
04-12-2008, 11:59
That would mean you'd not been on a college campus, a major city downtown, near a homeless shelter/halfway house, small towns in Utah or surrounding states, small southern towns bypassed by Interstate highways, outside a rock/alternative music store, anywhere near Democrat/Greens/NORML political events, a motorcycle dealership, or inside a natural foods store. You don't get around much, I see. ;)You forgot mosque. :rolleyes::eek:

taildragger
04-12-2008, 12:00
That would mean you'd not been on a college campus, a major city downtown, near a homeless shelter/halfway house, small towns in Utah or surrounding states, small southern towns bypassed by Interstate highways, outside a rock/alternative music store, anywhere near Democrat/Greens/NORML political events, a motorcycle dealership, or inside a natural foods store. You don't get around much, I see. ;)

Actually, I live near an us air force base, next to 3 major interstates and I do get around quite a bit, it looks like your the one who doesn't

FlimFlam
04-12-2008, 12:16

Oh, you forgot Jesus, Moses and Abraham....anyone else I'm forgetting?

Since when is scraping a piece of metal against your face, ripping off hair and skin on a daily basis, a form of hygiene? Seems to me that's not a very good promotion of health. A better promotion of physical *and* spiritual health is to avoid ripping off your face, just wash your beard thoroughly while avoiding that vain look into a mirror every day.

(bTW, do you shave the top of your head too, Mr. Hygiene?)

minnesotasmith
04-12-2008, 12:19
Actually, I live near an us air force base, next to 3 major interstates and I do get around quite a bit, it looks like your the one who doesn't

Someone less than half my age, with under a fourth as much time as an adult, is going to tell me my life experience is less than his. Come back when you're dry behind the ears.

===========================================
Good point, Hooch. Yep, I definitely should have included mosques on that list. ;)

saimyoji
04-12-2008, 12:22
Someone less than half my age, with under a fourth as much time as an adult, is going to tell me my life experience is less than his. Come back when you're dry behind the ears.

Good point, Hooch. Yep, I definitely should have included mosques on that list. ;)

hmmmm....24*2=48. MS your profile says you are 46....:-?

taildragger
04-12-2008, 12:54

I've been dry behind the years for a while, I got sick of hearing crap like that when I worked and in the end held the right answers.

For me, shaving was always a hassle, I grow a thick face coat, and if I did shave, I'd have to shave twice a day or get flack for having a 5 O'clock shadow at noon. A thick beard makes shaving rather painful at times (nothing like slicing my face every few days). So to me it seemed like a good idea to grow a beard and keep it trimmed, I've been told it looks good, and man, its nice to have the extra warmth when I'm stuck in a bow stand before dawn.

So SYOH

Dances with Mice
04-12-2008, 13:20
Standard periodic personal hygiene for American males not polygamists, You must not be keeping up with current events? There wasn't a beard to be seen on the polygamist compound in Texas. The jailed sect leader, Warren Jeffs is clean shaven. The suspect indicated in the recent raid and a convicted child molestor, Dale Barlow, is a pudgy balding middle aged white guy with thick glasses.

mudhead
04-12-2008, 13:24
Now that is scary.

woodsy
04-12-2008, 13:28
Where is this standard periodic personal hygiene regulation/law pertaining to shaving anyway?

mudhead
04-12-2008, 13:32
Black flies make their own laws.

minnesotasmith
04-13-2008, 09:43
hmmmm....24*2=48. MS your profile says you are 46....:-?

Meant to say "about half my age". I figure whatshisdoof probably attended public high school in the 90s, so likely wouldn't have caught it (you know how lousy they teach optional courses like math there these days, going by the perpetual SAT declines, most of the emphasis now being on global warming/environmentalism/gender issues/other PC bovine excretions) if you hadn't pointed it out. ;)

minnesotasmith
04-13-2008, 09:54
Where is this standard periodic personal hygiene regulation/law pertaining to shaving anyway?

Try and get hired at a bank, insurance company, join a conservative law firm, enlist or be commissioned i the military, run for office outside of Marxist areas of the country, or a hundred other types of jobs with a face that resembles Osama bin Laden towards the bottom. Too, even for well-to-do retired or independently-wealthy men, in survey after survey, the majority of American women indicate that their preference for type of facial hair in men they sleep with is "NONE". Between those two issues, the majority of American men can find a major motivation to keep their faces clear and clean of what they have in their nether regions, thankfully covered by clothing. ;)

ed bell
04-13-2008, 10:11
<snip>........ a pudgy balding middle aged white guy with thick glasses.
Don't they always seem to get all the ladies? Usually because what they do not have in looks, they make up for in charm.:)

woodsy
04-13-2008, 10:26
MS: Try and get hired at a bank, insurance company, join a conservative law firm, enlist or be commissioned in the military, run for office outside of Marxist areas of the countryNot interested in any of those areas

MS: the majority of American women indicate that their preference for type of facial hair in men they sleep with is "NONE".Prove it

MS: Between those two issues, the majority of American men can find a major motivation to keep their faces clear and clean of what they have in their nether regions, thankfully covered by clothingI must be in the minority then because those issues don't motivate me.
BTW, Shiny faces in the woods are in the minority cause all the other critters have hairy faces, including the majority of hikers, that puts you in the minority when you're in the woods.

Hooch
04-13-2008, 10:30
......a pudgy balding middle aged white guy with thick glasses.Sound like anyone we know here? :D:eek:

mudhead
04-13-2008, 10:36
Chew a little Juicy Fruit.

Somehow, facial hair or not, I manage.

Tipi Walter
04-13-2008, 11:10
When I went thru my hippie phase I was glad to have some facial hair, it proved I wasn't a member of the armed forces. When I was in the Air Force in '69-73 my buddies and I were just waiting for the day when we could grow some hair, facial or otherwise. So when we got out we exercised our follicle freedoms.

As far as the wimmin goes, here again my beard was like a bright bulb at night, it pulled them in like moths. BTW, a buddy of mine, Johnny B, found his light beard to be very attractive to dogs. I even found my beard to be attractive to male backpackers and so I have to keep a constant vigilance, etc. One fotog shows a fellow backpacker trying to grope me and I had to spin on him in a defensive posture.

Beard as symbol of freedom--hippie phase.
Beard pulling in the women.
Beard attractive to dog.
Man attracted to beard--Pisgah NF.

minnesotasmith
04-13-2008, 11:53
Sound like anyone we know here? :D:eek:

To rephrase an old joke, what's the difference between a 20-YO college dropout perpetual hiker and a large pizza? The pizza can feed a family of four. ;)

The women I've been involved with during my life predominantly have been substantially younger than I was at the time. The reason in part is hypergamy.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergamy

Hypergamy refers to a system of practice of selecting a spouse of higher socio-economic status than oneself. Specifically, it refers to a widespread tendency amongst human cultures for females to seek or be encouraged to pursue male suitors that are comparatively older, wealthier or otherwise more privileged than themselves.

One that was half my age (but still legal, thank you) had male peers whose situation was typically that they were out of school, and part-time retail workers, most commonly either living in Section 8 housing or with their parents. They came off worse than the large pizza, I'd say.

It's not purely looks and youth*, obviously, otherwise Mick Jagger would have been a lifelong celibate (at least WRT unpaid, conscious partners). Likewise, if Paul McCartney had been an aging line employee at Jiffy Lube, he wouldn't have landed that model he just got divorced from. (Had he had the foresight to keep his assets and income stream outside the country where he lived, precluding their theft by divorce courts, it would have removed her motivation to divorce, and he'd likely still be married to her, but that's another story.)

For another viewpoint, look up the article on an elite hiker/peakbagger with the trail name "Cavedog". I read an article on the guy several years ago in Backpacker Magazine or the like. He was a nice guy, in fantastic physical shape, intelligent -- but his longtime GF was restless. Why? His income stunk, with no forseeable change in sight, and it sounded as if she wanted to start a family.

*By all accounts, those do factor in. One compilation of surveys of women's apparent actual (as opposed to professed) motivators in this area assigned their apparent share thusly:

from http://www.laddertheory.com/attractiondeconstruct.htm :

http://www.laddertheory.com/images/womanchart2.gif

http://www.laddertheory.com/images/womanchart3.gif

To give the women reading this an insight into men most of them (especially the more liberal/PC ones) an insight about men they often don't grasp for much of their lives: http://www.laddertheory.com/yesvirginia.htm

minnesotasmith
04-13-2008, 12:08
Prove it

-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.lovena.net/mens-facial-hair.html

"Men have always wondered should I shave or let it grow. We wonder "Do women find me more attractive with a beard or a clean shave"? You don't have to wonder anymore. I have studied the question "Do women prefer facial hair?" and this is what I have come up with.

70% of women prefer a clean shave
20% prefer a goattee
7% prefer a full beard
3% Do not care about facial hair"
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_120779.html

Women hate beards - survey
"Beards, moustaches and goatees are a huge turn-off for women, with nine out of 10 saying they prefer a clean-shaven man.
But men seem to labour under the delusion that facial hair will get them the girl of their dreams, with two-thirds saying they believe that a beard makes them seem more masculine and appealing.
The survey of more than 2,000 men and women for aftershave manufacturer Lynx will revive the debate over the appeal of beards.
Women displayed a contradictory streak, with 72% saying actor Brad Pitt's designer stubble actually made him more appealing, and 66% admiring Manchester United star David Beckham's hint of hair.
The poll found that 92% of women preferred a clean-shaven man, with 95% complaining that facial stubble made a romantic kiss an unpleasant experience and a turn-off.
Seven out of 10 women dismissed moustaches as "out of date", two thirds condemned trendy goatees as "sloppy", and a massive 86% said they found beards unattractive.
But 63% of men believed facial hair made them more manly and attractive.
Failure in the hair stakes can lead to feelings of inadequacy - one in five men admitted they were not capable of growing a full beard and felt ashamed as a result.
But in the battle of the beards and the sexes, women seem to win - as just 8% of men aged between 17 and 74 have beards.
A third sport occasional stubble, 15% have a moustache and 12% have a goatee."

----------------------------------------------------------
http://psychologytoday.com/articles/index.php?term=19941101-000022&page=3

"Our results reflected the current cultural preference for clean-shaven faces. Sixty percent of male respondents were cleanshaven, 21 percent had a mustache only, 19 percent had a beard and mustache. Less than 1 percent had a beard without a mustache.

Men guessed correctly that women would prefer clean-shaven men. Yet while only 14 percent of women overall named "beard with mustache" as their first choice, 55 percent of women whose partner had a beard ranked it first. Once again, women may have brought their judgment in line with their partner.

Most of the [negative] comments about facial hair were about beards, and the positive ones were about neatly trimmed beards. Women tended to associate poorly groomed or neglected beards with generalized slovenliness. The goatee was singled out for derision."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

X-LinkedHiker
04-13-2008, 12:32
Oh, you forgot Jesus, Moses and Abraham....anyone else I'm forgetting?

Since when is scraping a piece of metal against your face, ripping off hair and skin on a daily basis, a form of hygiene? Seems to me that's not a very good promotion of health. A better promotion of physical *and* spiritual health is to avoid ripping off your face, just wash your beard thoroughly while avoiding that vain look into a mirror every day.

(bTW, do you shave the top of your head too, Mr. Hygiene?)
Santa Clause, Most newly promoted middle management in their mid 30's.

minnesotasmith
04-13-2008, 12:37
Since when is scraping a piece of metal against your face, ripping off hair and skin on a daily basis, a form of hygiene?

Cut your beard, not your face. I don't get parts of my ears cut off when I get a haircut. Why can't someone with this fear manage the same thing? If they can't manage a safety razor, there are these things called electric shavers.

woodsy
04-13-2008, 12:40
MS: Woodsy doubts the bulk of American women prefer men without facial hair...
No , you assumed that I doubted it.
I just wanted to see how much time you were willing to spend proving it.
now, back to the regularly scheduled program :

"Is it feasible to hike the trail with a beard" Yes

Hooch
04-13-2008, 12:55
Interesting people with beards*:

Chuck Norris
Jesus Christ
Fidel Castro
Che Guevera
Abraham Lincoln
Muhammad
Lone Wolf
John Phillip Sousa
Billy Gibbons
Dusty Hill
Lee Sklar
Sigmund Freud
Frederick Douglas
Confucius
Ulysses S. Grant
Robert E. Lee
Ernest Hemingway
Jim Morrison
Jerry Garcia
Vincent Van Gogh
John Lennon
Leonardo Da Vinci
Dan "Grizzly Adams" Haggerty
Denver "Uncle Jesse" Pyle

*This list is, obviously, not all-inclusive.

OregonHiker
04-13-2008, 13:04
-------------------------------------------------------

Women hate beards - survey
"Beards, moustaches and goatees are a huge turn-off for women, with nine out of 10 saying they prefer a clean-shaven man.--------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's an interesting couple of statistics...

I have a beard, a wife and a kid.

You have no beard, no wife and no kids.

Numbers never lie :)

mudhead
04-13-2008, 16:15
Dang! Since when has a male had a clue about women?

Beard/no beard. Ask the one that matters.

Dances with Mice
04-13-2008, 17:16
Interesting how someone calls gender studies "bovine excretement" - and on that I completely agree, btw - then puts up several posts filled with bovi... uh, results of gender studies.

Bulldawg
04-13-2008, 17:41

I am getting the feeling that the beard wouldn't be the contributing factor in confusing the two ends??

taildragger
04-13-2008, 18:41
Meant to say "about half my age". I figure whatshisdoof probably attended public high school in the 90s, so likely wouldn't have caught it (you know how lousy they teach optional courses like math there these days, going by the perpetual SAT declines, most of the emphasis now being on global warming/environmentalism/gender issues/other PC bovine excretions) if you hadn't pointed it out. ;)

Hrmm, I've made it with a Engineering Physics degree, most of a chemical engineering degree (dropped after I realized that ethics and chemical engineering didn't go hand in hand). I've served as a research assistant for electron transfer theory, leukocyte adhesion, and biofuels. I've also worked for two major corporations during the same time span and now I'm shooting for dual doctorates, so I think that this whathisdoof has done fairly well with the math and science (I let the math fact slip since I am approximately half your age)

And as for women and beards, I've never been with a girl that was any good for me that wanted me to shave. My current girlfriend didn't like it the one time that I did shave.

Hike it with a beard and save yourself the the razor weight, and if you're worried about hitches, just carry some scissors and trim it up before sticking your thumb out.

ed bell
04-13-2008, 20:18
It's hair envy. I know I'm right.:sun

Lone Wolf
04-13-2008, 20:19
Hrmm, I've made it with a Engineering Physics degree, most of a chemical engineering degree (dropped after I realized that ethics and chemical engineering didn't go hand in hand). I've served as a research assistant for electron transfer theory, leukocyte adhesion, and biofuels. I've also worked for two major corporations during the same time span and now I'm shooting for dual doctorates, so I think that this whathisdoof has done fairly well with the math and science (I let the math fact slip since I am approximately half your age)

And as for women and beards, I've never been with a girl that was any good for me that wanted me to shave. My current girlfriend didn't like it the one time that I did shave.

Hike it with a beard and save yourself the the razor weight, and if you're worried about hitches, just carry some scissors and trim it up before sticking your thumb out.

no ****. chicks dig beards. specially when you head south with it. MS ain't reached puberty.

max patch
04-13-2008, 20:24
no ****. chicks dig beards. specially when you head south with it. MS ain't reached puberty.

someone make this a poll in the female section.

minnesotasmith
04-13-2008, 20:29

1) Engineering majors and young engineers are notorious as a group about not getting out much, especially if they're at all serious about their studies.

2) I figured out a way around the "do I want the weight of a beard or razor" on the Trail by resorting to the wisdom in the aphorism "when confronted by a choice between two evils, choose neither". I don't carry one in my pack as a rule, but instead put a cheapie dispo razor in my maildrops. Shave when I shower in town, little beard weight and no razor weight when on the Trail. That's a more UL route than "let's see if I can grow enough hair on my face to catch in brambles and provide a nest for two pairs of weasels" choice you seem to favor. ;) After all, no true ULer could bring a beard along. ;)

Lone Wolf
04-13-2008, 20:32
****in anti-social geeks :rolleyes:

ed bell
04-13-2008, 20:37
no ****. chicks dig beards. <snip>Funny how a beardless one attempts to refute this while the bearded ones seem to have no problems. Must be more important to be a stand up fella than merely relying on a clean shave and some stats. That aside, why bother with it?:sun

Lone Wolf
04-13-2008, 20:42
Funny how a beardless one attempts to refute this while the bearded ones seem to have no problems. Must be more important to be a stand up fella than merely relying on a clean shave and some stats. That aside, why bother with it?:sun

MS don't like women and they don't like him. hairy or not. pretty effin simple

minnesotasmith
04-13-2008, 20:47
MS don't like women and they don't like him.

I like ladies (enough of whom historically like me), who are sadly relatively rare in this country these days.

Post #75 should take care of any remaining holdouts who actually believe that women not raised by bikers and the like overall prefer beardos to sleep with, if anyone will actually read it.

Lone Wolf
04-13-2008, 20:51
I like ladies (enough of whom historically like me), who are sadly relatively rare in this country these days.

Post #75 should take care of any remaining holdouts who actually believe that women not raised by bikers and the like overall prefer beardos to sleep with, if anyone will actually read it.

you're FOS and spank it it more often than not

ed bell
04-13-2008, 21:01

Post #75 should take care of any remaining holdouts who actually believe that women not raised by bikers and the like overall prefer beardos to sleep with, if anyone will actually read it.Why should I care about post #75 when my bearded self is married to a woman who likes my beard? On top of that, do you imagine that your pontificating on the subject of beards is influencing anyone? Why do you even care? Strange. I still think it's hair envy.:D

saimyoji
04-13-2008, 21:05
MS' views on beards are nothing new. I'm surprised he hasn't come right out and called us "crotch faces" yet. :rolleyes:

Bulldawg
04-13-2008, 21:10
I'm beginning to think that perhaps MS is full of BS and can't grow a beard and therefore is envious of those who can and is projecting his shortcomings on those he envies.

Dances with Mice
04-13-2008, 21:41
Post #75 should take care of any remaining holdouts who actually believe that women not raised by bikers and the like overall prefer beardos to sleep with, if anyone will actually read it.Let's do that. I've never had a beard myself, but let's see what we can see....

The first reference is totally useless. Some statistics are given but no numbers of respondents or any clue as to how the survey population was chosen. Near as I can tell the statistics have been pulled out of midair. These results have no foundation.

The second reference is worse! Who sponsored the survey? An aftershave company?! Why not ask tobbaco companies to conduct a poll to see if cigarettes cause cancer? These results are not credible. At all.

Third reference is from Psyco Today magazine. This 15 year old study was of a self-selected population so no inferences can be made about the general population. All that can be said from this article, it doesn't qualify as any sort of study, is that female readers of Psyco Today prefer clean shaven men and that they rate facial hair way down on their list of characteristics they look for in a mate, behind personality, height, weight, and some others.

ed bell
04-13-2008, 21:46
Personality matters? Who would have ever guessed that.:D;)

minnesotasmith
04-14-2008, 09:45
Interesting how someone calls gender studies "bovine excretement" - and on that I completely agree, btw - then puts up several posts filled with... results of gender studies.

The departments in universities and the professors in them that specialize in gender studies and the like are generally FOS at best, no question. (Any "researcher" that admits ignoring history and logic, as those routinely do, not to mention considers all criticism to be ad hom attacks, is not academically qualified to teach preschoolers how clocks work, let alone to hold prestigous tenured university positions.) That does NOT mean that valid studies on the subject can't be done. Stephen Baskerville, Christina Hoff Sommers, Sylvia Ann Hewlett, Glenn Sacks, Angela Fiori, Wendy McElroy, Rich Zubaty, etc., have all done good rigorous work in that area.

Attempting to understand and dealing with the opposite sex is a topic of great interest to many people; glance through a Cosmopolitan or Maxim sometime if in doubt of this. And, just BC a general rule may not apply to one individual, doesn't mean it lacks validity or utility; there is the concept of central tendency with which all scientists and engineers are fully familiar. (It's safe to say that a husband who voluntarily does not bring in income, or a wife that secretively bears children by another man, will very probably seriously piss off their spouse.) As Napoleon B. once said, "The race is not always to the fast, nor the battle to the strong -- but that's the way to bet.".

minnesotasmith
04-14-2008, 09:47
I'm beginning to think that perhaps MS is full of BS and can't grow a beard and therefore is envious of those who can and is projecting his shortcomings on those he envies.

I rapidly grow a beard that dulls most razors in a single use. Brillo has nothing on my facial hair for prolific toughness, should I let that part of my personal hygiene go uncared for.

paradoxb3
04-14-2008, 09:56
To rephrase an old joke, what's the difference between a 20-YO college dropout perpetual hiker and a large pizza? The pizza can feed a family of four. ;)

Not if those four are perpetual hikers. :cool:

Chuck Norris
Jesus Christ

I'm hoping for your sake this list wasnt grouped in any particular order. :D

minnesotasmith
04-14-2008, 09:58

Chuck Norris
Jesus Christ
Fidel Castro
Che Guevera
Abraham Lincoln
Muhammad
Lone Wolf
John Phillip Sousa
Billy Gibbons
Dusty Hill
Lee Sklar
Sigmund Freud
Frederick Douglas
Confucius
Ulysses S. Grant
Robert E. Lee
Ernest Hemingway
Jim Morrison
Jerry Garcia
Vincent Van Gogh
John Lennon
Leonardo Da Vinci
Dan "Grizzly Adams" Haggerty
Denver "Uncle Jesse" Pyle

*This list is, obviously, not all-inclusive.

Those people are either from so far back (at least a century's worth of different cultur in the past), or if from the last 60 years, professional nonconformists (e.g., generally not in the higher social classes). Garcia and Morrison (both dead druggies) would have been more comfortable at street glue-sniffing than in a law school. When was the last U.S. President with a beard? Benjamin Harrison in the late 1800's, I believe. Hmmmm... ;)

taildragger
04-14-2008, 10:07

Right, cause statistics are all inclusive and never have any fliers nor have ever been proven wrong :rolleyes:

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

mudhead
04-14-2008, 10:10
Plenty of ladies out there.

They just walk too fast for you.

paradoxb3
04-14-2008, 10:13
Unfortunately I can't have a strong opinion of either side of the beard debate. I'm 24 years old, and it seems my own genetics has made the decision for me. I, like most of the men in my family, can't grow much more than a thin lil' chin-friend, at the rate of about 1/2" per month. I could probably thru hike and only shave my chin 4 or 5 times the whole trip, and nobody would ever remember me with a beard.

Dances with Mice
04-14-2008, 10:14
... As Napoleon B. once said, "The race is not always to the fast, nor the battle to the strong -- but that's the way to bet.". So how much would you like to bet that Napolean actually said that? That paraphrase of Ecclesiastes 9:11 was written by NY sportswriter Damon Runyon.

So how is “Nonverbal Communication in Close Relationships” by Guerrero & Floyd, published in 2005, perceived within the touchy-feely community? It appears much more academic than the sources you provided earlier.

Check out page 74. (http://books.google.com/books?id=Aa4vuLur_aYC&printsec=frontcover#PPA74,M1)

This proves....absolutely nothing except that anyone can find anything on the Internet.

minnesotasmith
04-14-2008, 10:16
There wasn't a beard to be seen on the polygamist compound in Texas. The jailed sect leader, Warren Jeffs is clean shaven.

I've seen multiple pics of that type in the past over the years, and they were far more likely to be serious beardos than men in American society in general. Here is a pic of one of the most famous polygamists/child molestors in American history (yep, a beardo):

http://www.utlm.org/images/brighamyoungswivesandestate/brighamyounginchair.jpg

http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/brighamyoungswives.htm

"In 1868 Brigham Young, at age sixty-seven, married Ann Eliza Webb, an attractive twenty-four year old divorcee with two children. Young had already married dozens of other women. LDS scholar Jeffery Johnson, writing on Brigham Young and his wives, explained:
"Sixteen women gave birth to Brigham Young's fifty-seven children; Emmeline Free had ten; six wives had only one child. The oldest child, Elizabeth Young Ellsworth, was fifty-two at Brigham's death and the youngest, Fannie Young Clayton, was seven."

Looks like the pattern was set a while back; polygamist child molestors (look at depictions of Mohammed) do like their beards. Not the best company to be identified with if you ask me...

Dances with Mice
04-14-2008, 10:29
You are not being consistent.

Those people are either from so far back (at least a century's worth of different cultur in the past)

.... Here is a pic of one of the most famous polygamists/child molestors in American history (yep, a beardo):"In 1868 Brigham Young, at age sixty-seven, married Ann Eliza Webb,

In 1868 US Grant was elected President. Both of their facial decorations reflected nothing more than that time's fashion, as you have already noted.

minnesotasmith
04-14-2008, 10:33
You are not being consistent.

American culture, and most of its men, have long since moved on from the cultural mores of those times. Many polygamist child molestors, like fundamentalist Muslims, homeless street bums, leftover aging hippies, etc., have not kept up, and have not lost their beards yet.

Dances with Mice
04-14-2008, 10:39
American culture, and most of its men, have long since moved on from the cultural mores of those times. Many polygamist child molestors, like fundamentalist Muslims, homeless street bums, leftover aging hippies, etc., have not kept up, and have not lost their beards yet.I can't help it if the news doesn't match your views of the Texas polygamist colony. For reasons I can't understand it seems important for you to make association and to make your opinions into proclamations.

mudhead
04-14-2008, 10:43
Huffing. Done rotted his brain.

minnesotasmith
04-14-2008, 11:09
Huffing. Done rotted his brain.

Unlike some posters' bearded heroes ala Jerry Garcia, Jim Morrison, Ernest Hemingway, Sigmund Freud, etc. ;)

taildragger
04-14-2008, 11:22
Some posters have rather notable bearded heroes

Tesla, Boltzman, Planck, to name a few, and they are either bearded or have facial hair.

minnesotasmith
04-14-2008, 11:35
Some posters have rather notable bearded heroes

Tesla, Boltzman, Planck, to name a few, and they are either bearded or have facial hair.

Those 3 were born and grew up in the 1800s, if memory serves, so were formed by that time's culture. Show me that the bulk of nonliberal, nondrug-abusing fully-mainstream Americans from the last 60 years who are achievers are and were beard-wearers over the bulk of their careers, and we'll have something else to discuss.

Bulldawg
04-14-2008, 12:03
Well BS, I mean MS, I know this does not mean much to you. But one of the most influential men in my life was my agriculture teacher in high school. He had common sense, not this liberal hippy sense you get in College these days. He taught us things ranging from how to weld to how to approach a business deal. I learned much of the "ways of the world" from this man. He didn't make millions and was only influential in a few lives, but he wore a beard then. And even now, 15 years later, he wears a beard. He is not a polygamist child molester, a fundamentalist Muslims, a homeless street bum, or a leftover aging hippy. He is just a regular Joe who taught me and many others useful things to be used throughout our lives.

Oh yeah, his wife is a hottie too. What I might refer to as a MILF.

Dances with Mice
04-14-2008, 12:40
Those 3 were born and grew up in the 1800s, if memory serves, so were formed by that time's culture. Show me that the bulk of nonliberal, nondrug-abusing fully-mainstream Americans from the last 60 years who are achievers are and were beard-wearers over the bulk of their careers, and we'll have something else to discuss.So you're saying the bulk of mainstream Americans are following mainstream fashion. Thanks for the Revelation.

taildragger
04-14-2008, 13:07
Those 3 were born and grew up in the 1800s, if memory serves, so were formed by that time's culture. Show me that the bulk of nonliberal, nondrug-abusing fully-mainstream Americans from the last 60 years who are achievers are and were beard-wearers over the bulk of their careers, and we'll have something else to discuss.

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1987/muller-autobio.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Branson

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.chemistry.msu.edu/Lectureships/Images/GrubbsRobertHc.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.chemistry.msu.edu/Lectureships/lectures.asp%3Fseries%3DDK%26Year%3D2003&h=640&w=445&sz=66&hl=en&start=1&sig2=k91qEgf-tEQfhEtcXTJgrQ&um=1&tbnid=mnPTYM1aEm2XJM:&tbnh=137&tbnw=95&ei=YY0DSI25EKjmigGV38HFCg&prev=/images%3Fq%3DROBERT%2BH.%2BGRUBBS%2B%26um%3D1%26hl %3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DG

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/28/obituaries/28lauterbur.html?ex=1332734400&en=d48e680bb24899b3&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

http://cbme.ou.edu/faculty/resasco.htm

http://cbme.ou.edu/faculty/sikavitsas.htm

http://chem.ou.edu/Details/Personel/Faculty/Daniel-T.-Glatzhofer.html

taildragger
04-14-2008, 13:10
So you're saying the bulk of mainstream Americans are following mainstream fashion. Thanks for the Revelation.

Really, I never noticed that before, I should really thank MS for pointing that out. MS thanks for pointing that out, I've always wondered why most people dressed the same.

Oh well, this beards off to go get some food

Appalachian Tater
04-14-2008, 13:44
minnesotasmith, if you took testosterone, you could probably grow a beard, and you would look more manly. Facial hair is a signal to women that you have testosterone and viable sperm and it would make you more desirable as a potential breeding partner.

Dances with Mice
04-14-2008, 14:04
minnesotasmith, if you took testosterone, you could probably grow a beard, and you would look more manly. Facial hair is a signal to women that you have testosterone and viable sperm and it would make you more desirable as a potential breeding partner.Unfair and inaccurate, Tater. Male pattern baldness indicates he's more than amply supplied with tesosterone. MPB is well-known as a marker of extreme viability and potential breeding partner desirabilitiness. Matter of fact I'd say it's very, very high on the list. Way up there. Nothing better.

GGS2
04-14-2008, 14:07
DWM has MPB?

Dances with Mice
04-14-2008, 14:12
DWM has MPB?Some would say the pattern is pretty much complete.

Alligator
04-14-2008, 14:15
Unfair and inaccurate, Tater. Male pattern baldness indicates he's more than amply supplied with tesosterone. MPB is well-known as a marker of extreme viability and potential breeding partner desirabilitiness. Matter of fact I'd say it's very, very high on the list. Way up there. Nothing better.Yet he has no children to prove that with.

Gray Blazer
04-14-2008, 14:15
Got the goatee and mustache going finally. I've got too much American Indian blood in me and can't grow it in on the sides (made it really hard for me with the pork chop sideburns of the late 60's). Follically challenged.

Appalachian Tater
04-14-2008, 14:46
Unfair and inaccurate, Tater. Male pattern baldness indicates he's more than amply supplied with tesosterone. MPB is well-known as a marker of extreme viability and potential breeding partner desirabilitiness. Matter of fact I'd say it's very, very high on the list. Way up there. Nothing better.Male pattern baldness is much more complicated than that.

Tipi Walter
04-14-2008, 14:47
Exhibit B: Another woman(and two dogs)drawn to my beard. My testosterone levels are too high to be kept indoors(and too dangerous).

BTW, the tree behind me is the biggest locust you'll ever see.

taildragger
04-14-2008, 14:49
Exhibit B: Another woman(and two dogs)drawn to my beard. My testosterone levels are too high to be kept indoors(and too dangerous).

Was the locust drawn by the beard as well?

I've also seen a comparable locusts, and I'm not sure that I ever want to see one that is bigger

Hooch
04-14-2008, 14:53
I'm hoping for your sake this list wasnt grouped in any particular order. :DI put Chuck first, just in case he saw the list. Wouldn't want to wind up roundhoused for not givin' him his props. :D

GGS2
04-14-2008, 15:00

I used to live on an old farmstead in Mississquoi County, Quebec. We had a beautiful old honey locust out front. When it was in bloom, it was hard to stay on the veranda for the perfume. It was maybe half the girth of that one.

Dances with Mice
04-14-2008, 15:22
Male pattern baldness is much more complicated than that.I thought this thread was all about over - simplification and broad statements pronounced to be facts.

D'Artagnan
04-14-2008, 16:04
I stopped shaving about three months ago and it allowed me to save about 7 minutes every morning. :D (Plus, my girlfriend likes it which is enough encouragement for me.)

ed bell
04-14-2008, 21:33
<snip> ... (Plus, my girlfriend likes it which is enough encouragement for me.)Disregard that! How dare you fail to conform! Everybody knows that Conformity is the spice of life.:p

Bulldawg
04-14-2008, 21:38
Disregard that! How dare you fail to conform! Everybody knows that Conformity is the spice of life.:p

If you dont believe Ed, just ask MS!!:p

LIhikers
04-21-2008, 15:23
Well, now I've gone and done it. The other morning I was standing in front of the bathroom mirror when I said to myself, "Self, it's been an awful long time since I've seen myself without a beard." In fact, I believe it was when my now 24 year old son was 10. So, on a whim I took off the beard. The last time I did that my son ran around the house singing "Dad looks wierd without a beard". This time my wife noticed by didn't comment at first but my nephews asked me if I got a hair cut. I said "sort of" but it wasn't until much later they realized what had actually happened. I guess I'll shave everyday until I tire of that and then I'll let the beard come back. :-?

mudhead
04-21-2008, 17:50
Heads up for sunburn. Lips, too.

She been messing with that baby soft skin?

sloopjonboswell
04-21-2008, 18:03
Plenty of ladies out there.

They just walk too fast for you.

that sounds about right,

Zelph81
04-25-2008, 04:07
Here is a pic of one of the most famous polygamists/child molestors in American history (yep, a beardo):

"In 1868 Brigham Young, at age sixty-seven, married Ann Eliza Webb, an attractive twenty-four year old divorcee with two children. Young had already married dozens of other women. LDS scholar Jeffery Johnson, writing on Brigham Young and his wives, explained:
"Sixteen women gave birth to Brigham Young's fifty-seven children; Emmeline Free had ten; six wives had only one child. The oldest child, Elizabeth Young Ellsworth, was fifty-two at Brigham's death and the youngest, Fannie Young Clayton, was seven."
Looks like the pattern was set a while back; polygamist child molestors (look at depictions of Mohammed) do like their beards. Not the best company to be identified with if you ask me...

You sir, are grossly in error. Your false and malicious accusation is nothing more than slander of the worst kind. First off, Fannie Young Clayton was Brigham Young's youngest child, not wife. Read your own quote: "The oldest child, Elizabeth Young Ellsworth, was fifty-two at Brigham's death and the youngest, Fannie Young Clayton, was seven" (emphasis added). Fannie Young Clayton (http://books.google.com/books?id=ei2zEz3RIAwC&pg=PP5&lpg=PP5&dq=%22fannie+young+clayton%22&source=web&ots=ofchQZxxjo&sig=3iUaH-3SUr4QpjC7IQWRbxl79Ds&hl=en#PPP5,M1)'s mother, Mary Van Cott Young, was one of Brigham Young's wives. Though Brigham Young did practice polygamy, he was not a child molester as you so falsely charge. If you look at the chart on the bottom of the page that you cited you will notice that the youngest any of his wives were was 16. Though this is indeed young (in my opinion) for a marriage relationship, you must agree that at this age a 16 year old is certainly not a "child." Indeed, in the U.S. the age of consent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America) is anywhere from 16-18 depending on the state. This is the legal age at which someone can choose to get married.

Another point. At post #102 you deride someone for putting forth many different examples of respectable (in some cases interesting) people who wore beards simply because they are not contemporary and therefore they are part of a different culture. Or, they are simply the product of a different Zeitgeist, if you will. However, then you immediately use an example of Brigham Young, from the mid 1800's, as a broad generalization and blanket statement to stereotype contemporary polygamists and to further your own claims and arguments. This is hypocritical and ignorant behavior.

Please note, despite how it may sound, I am not trying to defend polygamy. Rather, I am trying to defend and promote truth.

Show me that the bulk of nonliberal, nondrug-abusing fully-mainstream Americans from the last 60 years who are achievers are and were beard-wearers over the bulk of their careers, and we'll have something else to discuss.

A few examples that come quickly to mind:
Sean Connery (http://www.seanconnery.com/). Actor. Though born a Scotsman he has been every bit a part of the mainstream American culture and the American psyche. And he sports a cool beard.
Phil McGraw. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_McGraw) Noted psychologist, author, and TV celebrity.
Richard Karn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Karn). TV celebrity, actor.
Joe Brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Brown_%28judge%29). Judge
Phil Jackson (http://www.nba.com/coachfile/phil_jackson/). NBA basketball coach.

Having said all that - beards do not make a man; nor does the lack thereof.

mudhead
04-25-2008, 09:04
Don't let MS get you worked up. He suffers from the dreaded tropical disease, lakanooky. Results in brain rot.

minnesotasmith
04-25-2008, 09:22
Most of those people you mentioned are still in fringe fields. 3 of the 5 you quoted are in the entertainment fields. Do you think Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, and Robert Downey are representative of how most of your successful classmates live their private lives, or how you want your younger siblings or your children to behave?

Show me how even 20% of the current active-duty personnel in the U.S. military have Moses beards (no, you can't use the tiny #s of Spec Forces who do), and I'll figure you're right, that being a beardo is mainstream.:rolleyes:

Footslogger
04-25-2008, 09:27
...how about underarm hair on women hikers ??

'Slogger

woodsy
04-25-2008, 09:35

'Slogger
Or legs????
MS, shouldn't you be doing something more productive with you time like finding us some oil for our gas guzzlers?:rolleyes:

minnesotasmith
04-25-2008, 09:37
I did misread that sentence in the article on BY's 55 (!) wives' ages. The youngest at time of marriage to him appear to be:

Clarissa Caroline Decker, age 15, him 42;

Elizabeth Fairchild, age 16, him 43;

Diana Chase, age 17, him 43;

Ellen Rockwood, age 16, him 44;

and Lucy Bigelow, age 16, him 45.

Yep, a normal-lifestyle guy, that Brigham Young. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigham_Young

minnesotasmith
04-25-2008, 09:39
MS, shouldn't you be doing something more productive with you time like finding us some oil for our gas guzzlers?:rolleyes:

I have some spare time this morning due to problems (not of my making) on the drill rig I'm on. Trust me, they'll be busting my balls with work soon enough...

woodsy
04-25-2008, 09:43
I have some spare time this morning due to problems (not of my making) on the drill rig I'm on. Trust me, they'll be busting my balls with work soon enough...
Oh, OK, good,
Ya know those petroleum based plastic products like BIC disposable razors used by billions of shiny faced men are depending on you to keep the supply coming.;)

Two Speed
04-25-2008, 09:57

'SloggerBetter than underarm hair on male hikers. :cool:

Footslogger
04-25-2008, 10:03
Better than underarm hair on male hikers. :cool:
=====================================

...that depends on how well groomed it is.

'Slogger

taildragger
04-25-2008, 10:22
Also, why we're talking about body hair and its role in society, what do ya'll think about the unibrow. Should I let me grow wild during my hike? Will it really make that big of a deal when trying to hitch.

Two Speed
04-25-2008, 10:22
=====================================

...that depends on how well groomed it is.

'SloggerTell ya what, if there's a male hiker with really well groomed under arm hair he's all yours.

Chance09
05-27-2008, 19:06
I was planning on growing one before the hike to skip spending the itchy phase on the trail. Nuthin worse if you ask me.

As for facial hair and women, i've had a goatee since 8th grade, yes 8th grade, and never had a problem getting women.
I did braid it once but that was probably the only exception to not getting women...

Wise Old Owl
06-05-2008, 16:05
I saw a lady at a Rainbow Gathering who had a nice goatee going. Sorry, no pics on this one.

Another fine reason to carry a camera phone!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/desireerose22/goofingoffofcourse013.jpg

The Old Fhart
06-05-2008, 16:53
MS-"Attempting to understand and dealing with the opposite sex is a topic of great interest to many people..."Something you should certainly try. That's probably why all the women on the trail treated you like a pariah, especially the hiker you told: "was of no biological significance" to you.:eek:

mudhead
06-05-2008, 17:08
Something you should certainly try. That's probably why all the women on the trail treated you like a pariah, especially the hiker you told: "was of no biological significance" to you.:eek:

Please tell me you are making a joke.

The Old Fhart
06-05-2008, 17:17
That is an exact quote. Some of the other comments I can't repeat.