PDA

View Full Version : 2-3 week trip on AT

tsluscier
04-09-2008, 12:45
Hey all

I have a break this summer from May 1st - July 1st. I was curious if anyone could recommend a section of the AT that would be nice to hike for a few weeks during this time period. Any suggestions would greatly help as I have not done any work on the AT.

The Solemates
04-09-2008, 13:17
I'd start at hot springs and hike to damascus.

The Solemates
04-09-2008, 13:18
or if you want to travel a little further, do any 2-3 week section in nh or me.

Blissful
04-09-2008, 13:30
McAfee Knob area in Virginia through SNP. Hit it in mid May and you will be rewarded in the Blue Ridge mtns with splendid rhododendron and mtn laurel displays.

tsluscier
04-09-2008, 14:56
as far as packing goes, what is the most i would ever need to pack. I have read about resupplying along the AT is fairly easy, what are some methods in order to carry the lightest pack possible?

Blissful
04-09-2008, 15:13
as far as packing goes, what is the most i would ever need to pack. I have read about resupplying along the AT is fairly easy, what are some methods in order to carry the lightest pack possible?

Plenty of threads on that topic. And check the articles section as well. If you can keep your basic three - pack, shelter, and sleeping bag low, you're doing good. And for summer, that should be easy. My three for summer weighs in at 6.5 lbs (marmot pounder, tarptent, Gregory Jade).
Bring an alchol stove, a grease pot and a lexan spoon. Few clothes needed in summer. headlamp. first aid and personal stuff. map. rain jacket (poncho), pack cover, foam pad (like a z rest or ridgerest).

Kerosene
04-09-2008, 17:37
Along the south-central portion of the AT (Hot Springs to Harpers Ferry), I'd shoot for re-supplying every 3 days, although you might need to stretch that to 4 or even 5 days depending on the section, your hiking speed, and how far off the trail you're willing to go.

tsluscier
04-09-2008, 19:27
Along the south-central portion of the AT (Hot Springs to Harpers Ferry), I'd shoot for re-supplying every 3 days, although you might need to stretch that to 4 or even 5 days depending on the section, your hiking speed, and how far off the trail you're willing to go.

i lve in tallahassee...hot springs to harpers ferry is where? i know little about the AT, where are the spots to resupply at?

i apologize if this is the wrong place to post these questions, but i am new to the AT and to this forum.

Cookerhiker
04-09-2008, 20:39
In addition to exploring the numerous threads on this site, check out the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.1423119/k.BEA0/Home.htm) which is HQ'd at the aforementioned Harpers Ferry. You'll find basics on the AT there.

As to where to hike, Solemates (first suggestion, Hot Springs to Damascus) and Blissful's suggestions are good ones. I recommend you hike early in your available time, i.e. May to maximize views of the wildflowers.

e-doc
04-09-2008, 20:45
Go high. Fontana to Hot Springs.

tsluscier
04-09-2008, 20:51
thank you for the additional links...i appreciate your patience.

i have been having difficulty in finding a hiking partner to take this 2-3 week trip with. is this a trip i can take solo? are there many hikers going to be on the trail or at the shelters?

i am in good shape, most of my hiking has taken place on the PCT though, so i have no idea what to expect from the AT. I am also a photographer looking for some good nature shots, will i find some on the AT?

Cookerhiker
04-09-2008, 21:00
thank you for the additional links...i appreciate your patience.

i have been having difficulty in finding a hiking partner to take this 2-3 week trip with. is this a trip i can take solo? are there many hikers going to be on the trail or at the shelters?

i am in good shape, most of my hiking has taken place on the PCT though, so i have no idea what to expect from the AT. I am also a photographer looking for some good nature shots, will i find some on the AT?

You won't be alone - there're lots of others out when you're going. If you want a partner, there's a forum here on WB called "Hooking Up"

Re your nature shots, I reaffirm what I said earlier: Hike in May and you'll get the wildflowers.

oyvay
04-09-2008, 21:34
Erwin to Damascus and Mt. Rogers to Damascus. Start with Grassy Balds and end with ponies! What could be better!!
:banana:banana

Appalachian Tater
04-09-2008, 21:39
I am also a photographer looking for some good nature shots, will i find some on the AT?http://greencorners.com/gallerypages/at.galleries.htm

geyerpd
05-25-2008, 15:04
i lve in tallahassee...hot springs to harpers ferry is where? i know little about the AT, where are the spots to resupply at?

i apologize if this is the wrong place to post these questions, but i am new to the AT and to this forum.

I'll be driving from tally for 2-3 weeks in June on the AT in georgia. Let me hear from you.

[email protected]