PDA

View Full Version : Need an interview with experienced hiker

sidereal
04-09-2008, 14:46
Hello WhiteBlaze Community,

I am writing a documentary script for a course I am taking here at college, and my chosen topic is the Appalachian Trail, since I have decided to hike a section of it this summer. While this script will likely never be produced, part of the requirement is that I interview someone who is knowledgeable and experienced on the subject, and so I figure here is a good place to look.

I'm looking for someone who has hiked the trail several times and has at least a decent understanding of the history and conservation efforts of the trail. Please only respond if you are experienced with the AT, but you certainly don't have to be a master on the subject as I've done some research myself and you would not be the only source of information. It would be an e-mail interview consisting of 15-20 questions and I would need the responses- at the very latest - by the 21st of April. I assure you it will not be anything too difficult...many of the questions will simply be about why you hiked and what you got out of your experience, but I would like more than one sentence responses.

If you have any questions or, of course, if you are interested in doing this, let me know.

Thank you very much, and I hope someone would like to help me out here, it would be very much appreciated!

bigmac_in
04-09-2008, 15:06
Well - If you don't have to be a master on the subject, there should be plenty of people here who can help. :D

Blissful
04-09-2008, 15:08
Calling Jack. Warren. And of course, LW.

Lone Wolf
04-09-2008, 15:09
not interested

minnesotasmith
04-09-2008, 15:13
Calling Jack. Warren. And of course, LW.

One's not interested. Another can't grasp some of the most basic trail subjects, e.g. hiker ethics (e.g., not stealing or trespassing). That leaves Jack. ;)

BTW, if you'll make it a phone interview., bet you'll have lots more takers. (Record and transcribe later.)

sidereal
04-09-2008, 15:29
Really? I would have thought that e-mail would be preferable as you can do it anytime you want...but I do see the merits of a phone interview and if anyone would prefer that I am open to do it over the phone as well.

Thanks for the replies.

Bulldawg
04-09-2008, 15:30
Jack is in Franklin at one of Ron's places and he was who I thought of immediately.

Kirby
04-09-2008, 16:34
Jack's who popped into my head.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
04-09-2008, 16:44

swellbill
04-09-2008, 16:51
Jack's who popped into my head.

Kirby

He popped into your head? I thought he was in Franklin at one of Ron's places

Kerosene
04-09-2008, 17:12
I'll volunteer if you're interested in a slightly different perspective from a long-time section hiker. E-mail preferred.

Lilred
04-09-2008, 17:47
I've been section hiking since 2003 if that counts for anything. I've only done 700 miles so far, but hope to have half the trail finished by the end of this summer. Maybe you could do a comparison/contrast in the differences b/w section and thru hikers. PM or email if I can help.

warren doyle
04-09-2008, 18:19
I would be willing to be interviewed.

Cookerhiker
04-09-2008, 18:27
He's hard to get ahold of because he's always out hiking or biking, but I suggest Stumpknocker. His latest journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=222426)(one of many on TrailJournals.com) has his e-mail address. I'm sure he'd be a great interview, especially on the subject of food.:D

Skidsteer
04-09-2008, 18:38
He's hard to get ahold of because he's always out hiking or biking, but I suggest Stumpknocker. His latest journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=222426)(one of many on TrailJournals.com) has his e-mail address. I'm sure he'd be a great interview, especially on the subject of food.:D

Excellent suggestion.

minnesotasmith
04-09-2008, 19:24

Why not Heald or Squeaky, also?

weary
04-09-2008, 20:32

I am writing a documentary script for a course I am taking here at college, and my chosen topic is the Appalachian Trail, since I have decided to hike a section of it this summer. While this script will likely never be produced, part of the requirement is that I interview someone who is knowledgeable and experienced on the subject, and so I figure here is a good place to look.

I'm looking for someone who has hiked the trail several times and has at least a decent understanding of the history and conservation efforts of the trail. Please only respond if you are experienced with the AT, but you certainly don't have to be a master on the subject as I've done some research myself and you would not be the only source of information. It would be an e-mail interview consisting of 15-20 questions and I would need the responses- at the very latest - by the 21st of April. I assure you it will not be anything too difficult...many of the questions will simply be about why you hiked and what you got out of your experience, but I would like more than one sentence responses.

If you have any questions or, of course, if you are interested in doing this, let me know.

Thank you very much, and I hope someone would like to help me out here, it would be very much appreciated!
What do you mean by "hiking the trail several times?" Many have done many section hikes. Very few have hiked all the trail several times." Nor, if you are looking for a typical AT experience, are those your best source.

It certainly would make a great study if you could find why some give up the ordinary processes of life and just walk 2,000 miles again and again. I would certainly read or watch an account of why. I would do it myself, had I not more important things to do for and about the trail.

But equally interesting to at least a few, might be to hear from those who dream of hiking, attempt it, and either succeed or fail.

Weary GA-ME 1993. www.matlt.org

Nean
04-09-2008, 21:08
Not much of a hiker but I've probably read more books on the the subject than most, plus ++++ I know Squeaky AND Heald.;) Give me a call, let's chat.:eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-09-2008, 21:27
On the history and conservation end - Weary is a great resource. If you mean has hiker long portions of the trail several times in your criteria for hiking experience, Weary is is your man.

If you are looking more for a typical hiker's point of view, I would suggest interviewing a mother and son team who thru-hiker last year - Blissful and Paul Bunyan. Really nice, down-to-earth people who had a blast doing this.

If you want someone who has thru-hiked the trail multiple times, Jack Tarlin is likely the best choice (LW has already said no).

Skidsteer
04-09-2008, 21:43

Not much of a hiker but I've probably read more books on the the subject than most, plus ++++ I know Squeaky AND Heald.;) Give me a call, let's chat.:eek:

Nean would be a good interview, IMO.

CrumbSnatcher
04-09-2008, 21:45
nean,heald,jack,lonewolf and warren would all be great choices...

Two Speed
04-09-2008, 21:46
nean,heald,jack,lonewolf and warren would all be great choices...Crumb, you're being way too modest. Interested?

Lone Wolf
04-09-2008, 21:47
nean,heald,jack,lonewolf and warren would all be great choices...

you too. you've only hiked 3 or 4 times :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-09-2008, 21:49
....i know at least 10 folks that have the same. jack is a newbie compared to folks i knowCool, could you hook sidereal up with some of them via PM? I was kind of thinking about Tha Wookie or Lion King, but both are pretty busy right now.

Two Speed
04-09-2008, 21:50
Where is Wookie these days?

Jack Tarlin
04-09-2008, 21:52
Where's Wookie? Clever enough to not be over-occupied here! :D

Lone Wolf
04-09-2008, 21:57
Cool, could you hook sidereal up with some of them via PM? I was kind of thinking about Tha Wookie or Lion King, but both are pretty busy right now.

no cuz these folks i know aren't part of the "community" and could care less about the BS thru-hiker mystique. it's a lifestyle

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-09-2008, 21:57
I believe he's down in the Caribbean, but not sure. Know he was discussing a serious project for the this spring.

Two Speed
04-09-2008, 22:01
Where's Wookie? Clever enough to not be over-occupied here! :DI have dreams of when I retire. Until then I do section hikes, once in a great while a LDH if I'm really lucky and dream a lot in between.

weary
04-09-2008, 22:09
why? warren has mor knowledge and experience than anyone on here. i know at least 10 folks that have the same. jack is a newbie compared to folks i know
I agree absolutely. Warren has as much experience as anyone -- and a unique perspective of that experience.

As does Lone Wolf for that matter.

Weary

Thru Hiker Wife
04-09-2008, 22:19
OK, folks. I've already apologized so please let's move on. I have/had no intention of starting a flame war. If I had the ability I would delete my posts myself but I don't. Mods, please feel free to do so...sorry to create the trouble.

Lone Wolf
04-09-2008, 22:21
OK, folks. I've already apologized so please let's move on. I have/had no intention of starting a flame war. If I had the ability I would delete my posts myself but I don't. Mods, please feel free to do so...sorry to create the trouble.

donate 10 bucks

Tin Man
04-09-2008, 22:23
Katz would make a good interview...

Marta
04-09-2008, 22:24
Warren would be an excellent interview subject. He can give you the perspective of several decades of experience on the AT. He has some unusual views that some people get all lathered up about, but I suggest you talk to him yourself and make up your own mind.

Blissful
04-09-2008, 22:27
Warren would be an excellent interview subject. He can give you the perspective of several decades of experience on the AT. He has some unusual views that some people get all lathered up about, but I suggest you talk to him yourself and make up your own mind.

or get two hikers with opposite opinions - that would REALLY make an interesting paper. :)

(Just kidding)

Thru Hiker Wife
04-09-2008, 22:28
donate 10 bucks

Believe me I would and will if and when I get the opportunity!:D If you check out some of my other posts, you'll realize that my funds are a little tied up right now.:(

Tin Man
04-09-2008, 22:30
or get two hikers with opposite opinions - that would REALLY make an interesting paper. :)

(Just kidding)

Or Jack interviewing Warren. :)

fiddlehead
04-09-2008, 22:39
Nean says he's not much of a hiker. Yeah right!
He's at least a triple, triple crowner and the only one that can say that.
Although i believe he's done the AT 4 times, maybe more?

Funny how all these experts immediately think you should change your paper's subject.

Tin Man
04-09-2008, 22:48
Funny how all these experts immediately think you should change your paper's subject.

Maybe for his next paper he could write about internet hiking? :-?

Nah, he would never have enough time to review all the responses.

Wags
04-09-2008, 22:51
whoever agrees to do it please post interview here for us to read ok? thx

Thru Hiker Wife
04-09-2008, 22:53
whoever agrees to do it please post interview here for us to read ok? thx

That would be great! Maybe it'll help some of us spouses to better understand the drive!

Tin Man
04-09-2008, 23:05
That would be great! Maybe it'll help some of us spouses to better understand the drive!

It's just walking, no driving involved.

Some thinks it's an adventure,
some sey it's a yearning,
some thinks hiking is a quencher,
for what is burning,
the miles in time,
walking through your mind.

Wags
04-09-2008, 23:19
drive to and from the trail though, but it's more likely riding

Thru Hiker Wife
04-09-2008, 23:26
Smarta****!!!:D;)

warren doyle
04-10-2008, 08:20
There are certainly many blank spaces on this thread (reminds me of the ridge north of the Lehigh River).
I'm sure they were all very complimentary.
I wish you well on your interview (s).

sidereal
04-10-2008, 12:59
Phew, you guys gave me plenty to work with. I'll be contacting some of the recommendations shortly, and I'll be sure to post the interview when it's completed.

Thanks to all those who helped.

DesertMTB
04-10-2008, 13:12
I think Squeaky II would be a great choice. He has thru'ed the AT twice and holds the current triple crown speed record.

Sly
04-10-2008, 14:01
I think Squeaky II would be a great choice. He has thru'ed the AT twice and holds the current triple crown speed record.

Which is not likely to get beaten anytime soon, with the possible exception of a supported hike.

Blissful
04-10-2008, 14:05

Now there's a topic right there - but I think a thread is discussing why you want to do something like this...

Or as the mayor of Unionville told us - "I know the name of a good psychiatrist...." and pointed to his head.

DesertMTB
04-10-2008, 14:05
Which is not likely to get beaten anytime soon, with the possible exception of a supported hike.

Amazing thing about the guy is that he never hiked before starting his first thru.

I put him up there with elite athletes from other sports

Frosty
04-10-2008, 16:53
Phew, you guys gave me plenty to work with. I'll be contacting some of the recommendations shortly, and I'll be sure to post the interview when it's completed.Yes, please do. Also let us know what your professor thought of your script (hope you get an "A+").

By the way, you have an interesting screen name. Is your hobby astromony?

A-Train
04-10-2008, 17:11
Nean says he's not much of a hiker. Yeah right!
He's at least a triple, triple crowner and the only one that can say that.
Although i believe he's done the AT 4 times, maybe more?

I'd suggest Fiddlehead too. :) And Sly. Both of them I believe are triple crowners and have multiple thru-hikers. You've got a thesis paper full of potential info with a handful of posters on this thread.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-10-2008, 17:13
I thought Sly was out hiking - if he is available, he would be an excellent person to interview.

CrumbSnatcher
04-10-2008, 17:27
nean, your telling tales out of school.(not much of a hiker,my ass) nean is at least a triple-triple crowner! who is a fast hiker(if that matters)but who will slow down long enough and have a beer with you. good hiker/great person.

CrumbSnatcher
04-10-2008, 17:31
fiddlehead,weathercarrot,geek,sleepy the arab. so many great choices! they all bring something different, but special to the table... talk to more than just one, you;ll see what i'm talking about.

wgw5000
04-10-2008, 20:23
Haha I was surprised to see this thread as I too need someone to interview for a school paper!! If anyone else is interested in doing an interview with me please pm me!! I'd greatly appreciate it... I would just like to speak to someone who has thru-hiked the trail (once is plenty)....

hopefully someone sees this lonely post at the bottom of the thread, I figured I'd try here as opposed to start a new one

Thanks a ton!!!

-Billy Weisser

Jack Tarlin
04-10-2008, 20:26
Billy:

PM me with details on your paper; would be glad to help you if I can.

Jack Tarlin
Yeah, I'm a former thru-hiker

minnesotasmith
04-10-2008, 20:28
Jack Tarlin
Yeah, I'm a former thru-hiker

The understatement of the year. ;)

Sleepy the Arab
04-12-2008, 13:36
fiddlehead,weathercarrot,geek,sleepy the arab. so many great choices! they all bring something different, but special to the table... talk to more than just one, you;ll see what i'm talking about.

*blinks awake*

Hmm? Wha? Someone mention my name?

sidereal
04-21-2008, 16:18
Hey everyone,

I've been trying to contact a few people for this interview, but to no avail. So my request goes out again for anyone who is willing to do this, except now, unfortunately, the time is very limited. I need the answers by late Wednesday (well, before 9 AM on Thursday), and I realize that this is incredibly short notice, and because of that I'm willing to interview basically anyone under the condition that he or she has thru-hiked the trail once. Ideally I would have someone who has done it many times and is well versed on the history and such, but that is likely not going to happen on such short notice.

Anyone who is interested post here or PM me and just tell me what your experience is so that I can pick the best candidate. I know that it would be good to interview a lot of people, but my questions and my documentary are structured around the more experienced ones.

Thanks to everyone who is willing to help me out by putting up with this!

sherrill
04-21-2008, 16:48
Best of luck. Unfortunately, this time of year, avid hikers are out, well, hiking.

sidereal
04-21-2008, 23:39
Sorry, please disregard my last post, I have what I need now. Thanks to everyone who helped!