PDA

View Full Version : Bursitis - ouch

Lellers
04-09-2008, 16:07
I have had problems with intertrochanteric bursitis (hip) since a bad fall during a figure skating session. (I never was a very good skater!) Ten years ago, I had steroid injections, physical therapy and a whole bunch of other stuff and we got it under control for a very long time. But lately, it's back again. It's extremely painful. I want so bad to get out and crank out some miles to keep in shape, but I know I can't. I actually don't feel too bad while I'm walking, but when it's done and over with, it's like someone set my hip and thigh on fire. So I sit here resting, stretching, heat and ice, and getting soft and flabby. Meanwhile, I have a Grand Canyon trip in June and a 100-mile section of the AT in August that I've been planning for a year. I'm soooo frustrated and want to get in shape.

Has anyone dealt with this, and have you done anything besides the usual routine? I'm seeing a sports med doc, and I'm just doing the same thing that I've always done. Maybe I'm just impatient. I want this gone NOW.:(

Deadeye
04-09-2008, 16:34
Nasty stuff, I feel your pain... literally. In addition to what my doctor told me (ice, ibuprofen, stretching), I found Capzacin creme and Aspercreme to be very helpful. Capzacin is definitely strong stuff, so if you have sensitive skin, the Aspercreme is the one to go with. The nice thing about topical treatments is there's no stomach problems.

Relief was pretty quick for me, a matter of a few weeks if I didn't do anything to aggravate it. Not a problem for me anymore.

Deadeye
04-09-2008, 16:36
p.s. I usually flame people who ask for medical advice from hikers :rolleyes:, but you said you're seeing a doctor, so you got my 2 cents.

sofaking
04-09-2008, 16:53
gin soaked raisins? i believe you soak golden raisins in gin overnight, remove and throw out the raisins and drink the bottle of gin...;)

take-a-knee
04-09-2008, 17:03
I have had problems with intertrochanteric bursitis (hip) since a bad fall during a figure skating session. (I never was a very good skater!) Ten years ago, I had steroid injections, physical therapy and a whole bunch of other stuff and we got it under control for a very long time. But lately, it's back again. It's extremely painful. I want so bad to get out and crank out some miles to keep in shape, but I know I can't. I actually don't feel too bad while I'm walking, but when it's done and over with, it's like someone set my hip and thigh on fire. So I sit here resting, stretching, heat and ice, and getting soft and flabby. Meanwhile, I have a Grand Canyon trip in June and a 100-mile section of the AT in August that I've been planning for a year. I'm soooo frustrated and want to get in shape.

Has anyone dealt with this, and have you done anything besides the usual routine? I'm seeing a sports med doc, and I'm just doing the same thing that I've always done. Maybe I'm just impatient. I want this gone NOW.:(

You should investigate how diet affects inflammation, even if it isn't the source, it may be exacerbating your condition.

Lellers
04-09-2008, 18:29
p.s. I usually flame people who ask for medical advice from hikers :rolleyes:, but you said you're seeing a doctor, so you got my 2 cents.

Thanks for holding off on the flames! Yes, I'm seeing a pretty good doc, but I was looking to see if anyone else could add to my fund of information. Of course, anything that I learned here I would discuss with my doc! :D

Lellers
04-09-2008, 18:38
You should investigate how diet affects inflammation, even if it isn't the source, it may be exacerbating your condition.

Well, you could be onto something there. But I think the recent flare came when I really upped my training and I'd do stupid things like... oh, not stretching before hiking 10 miles on PA rocks, etc. I'm usually applauded for my diet, which is pretty much the Mediterranean diet that I grew up on... lots of veggies, olive oil, fresh stuff, whole grains. My only really big food sin is the occasional scrapple indulgence. It's a big sin, but it's very rare.

orangebug
04-09-2008, 22:04
Well, if it follows a sudden increase in working out, it suggests that you would have made a big mistake heading out to either the Grand Canyon or the AT for your annual 100.

Mamma Nature has reminded you (and us) for the need for the stretching and warm up before work outs. Time and patience will help you heal, but you will need to resist the temptation to get more miles before you are ready - really ready.

Blissful
04-09-2008, 22:41
I know you can get flare-ups of injuries. Might be good to figure out what caused the flair-up also. Have you been back to physical therapy recently? Ten years is a lot of time. Maybe they have some new ideas for you. Shoes and insoles can have direct effect with your hip as well. And if you aren't getting satisfaction from your dr, you might look for a second opinion. I did that and went to a running Dr who got me back on track. Tho other supposed sports MD told me I would never hike again (I had a bad ankle injury that lasted two years). I completed the trail last year.

Wags
04-09-2008, 23:16
if you can't get relief from your doctor you may want to check out acupuncture. i know a couple of guys who've used to to recover from sports injuries. just another avenue worth exploring if this western doctor path doesn't work out...

desdemona
04-10-2008, 23:01
if you can't get relief from your doctor you may want to check out acupuncture. i know a couple of guys who've used to to recover from sports injuries. just another avenue worth exploring if this western doctor path doesn't work out...

I'd recommend this as well. Of course, bare in mind that I come from the land where one of 10 people is a massage therapist (or something) and people drive around with bumper stickers reading "Visualize turn signals" (which apparently is to be taken literally- people don't actually use them).
! :eek:

BTW, I had tendenitis once. Capzasine is good stuff (see my address though and think this thru :)). I think you need to get used to it though, so you use a teeny bit and increase.

--des

--des

Montego
04-10-2008, 23:11
I'd recommend this as well. Of course, bare in mind that I come from the land where one of 10 people is a massage therapist (or something) and people drive around with bumper stickers reading "Visualize turn signals" (whick apparently is to be taken literally- people don't actually use them).! :eek:

BTW, I had tendenitis once. Capzasine is good stuff (see my address though and think this thru :)). I think you need to get used to it though, so you use a teeny bit and increase.

--des

--des

Didn't you know, turn signals became optional equipemnt back in - mmmm lets see, '02 I think. Though many started practicing "visualizing" long before that :D

take-a-knee
04-10-2008, 23:28
I read a while back that Tequila, the really high-quality stuff made from blue agave (no worms in these bottles), had more long term anti-inflammatory properties than OTC pain relievers.

Skidsteer
04-11-2008, 07:02
I read a while back that Tequila, the really high-quality stuff made from blue agave (no worms in these bottles), had more long term anti-inflammatory properties than OTC pain relievers.

Don't enable me.

Lellers
04-12-2008, 16:09
Here's an update. As it happens, I had a sinus infection and bronchitis this week. Finally went to my doc and was prescribed some antibiotics. Within 24 hours of taking the stuff, the pain in my hip went away completely. Nada. As if never had it in the first place. I can't help but think that the pain and the infection may have been related, especially since the hip pain started up as a dull ache just a day or two before my head turned into goo. Go figure. In any case, I had set up an appointment with my physical therapist, a hiker, who wants me to come in with my new boots and old poles. I'm sure we'll make some adjustments, maybe insoles, etc.

orangebug
04-12-2008, 17:54
Inflammation.

You treated a major source of inflammation with the antibiotics. Your current treatment for inflammation (rest and analgesics) was finally able to kick in.

Keep doing whatever is working for you.

Ain't serendipity neat?