PDA

View Full Version : Thrift Store Backpack

Bob S
04-09-2008, 18:02
I stopped at the Good Will Store today, They had a Kelty backpack there for $3.00.
I bought it, all the zippers are working and still have the pulls on them, the shoulder and belt straps are in good shape, and the frame is in great shape.

The only problem is that in the bottom of the pack there is a hole melted in it. The hole is 1 ½ inches long by ¼ inch wide.

What is the best way to fix this and have a strong repair? I thought about just sewing it up, but I don’t want to tare the fabric around the sewing.

mark.k.watson
04-09-2008, 18:46
Take it to a fabric store and see if they weill do a large patch over the hole, double reinforced.

SGT Rock
04-09-2008, 18:51
Get another old pack made from cordura nylon to get a patch. Hand sew with heavy nylon thread. It won't look good but it will give it character.

Good find!

Bob S
04-09-2008, 18:59
It's on the bottom of the pack and can't be seen unless you turn it upside down.

Appalachian Tater
04-09-2008, 19:12
Any tailor or seamstress or laundry or drycleaners that does repairs will sew a patch over it. You might want to waterproof it with some diluted silicone or spray.

tsluscier
04-09-2008, 19:57
are kelty backpacks generally good quality?

Bob S
04-09-2008, 20:00

Not sure, it seems well made. Never had one before and I don’t know anybody that has had one.

Pennsylvania Rose
04-09-2008, 20:18
My daughter uses her dad's nineteen year old Kelty Tioga. Way out of style, but a great pack!

SGT Rock
04-09-2008, 20:20
I've always heard good things about Kelty.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-09-2008, 21:35
We have a pair of 1970's Kelty pack that have thousands of miles on them and are still usable. He-Dino uses a Kelty Trekker 3950 and other than the squeaking loves it. No complaints about materials or workmanship.

fiddlehead
04-09-2008, 22:50
Looks like you got a great deal. I'd just sew a patch on with dental floss. You can tow a car with that stuff.

Bob S
04-09-2008, 23:18
Dental floss? How well will that work? Never thought of using it for anything like this.

4eyedbuzzard
04-09-2008, 23:19
Duct tape. [Okay, just kidding, but it probably would work just fine.]

fiddlehead
04-10-2008, 02:17
I've used dental floss as the thread for many pack repairs that ended up being permanant repairs. Just carry a sewing needle that has an eye big enough to take the floss. Then sew as if you are using thread. Strong stuff!
It's already held my packstraps on.

Patrickjd9
04-10-2008, 02:58
We have a pair of 1970's Kelty pack that have thousands of miles on them and are still usable.
I used a Kelty Tioga pack from 1982 until I hung it on the wall as a decorative piece in our 1960s vintage basement bar :D in 2006.

Jester2000
04-10-2008, 03:17

Kelty packs rule. I have had more than one and would feel comfortable using all three today.

For a repair that will get through tough fabric and hold well, think about taking your pack to a shoe repair place (if you can find one) and asking them to see what they can do. I've found that they can work wonders on tough fabric, and they're usually pretty eager for business. 'Cause, you know, um, who the hell gets shoes repaired at a store anymore?

Duct tape or floss are fine for in the field repairs that turn out to be excellent and relatively permanent, but a shoe repair place has awls and big-ass needles and good thread and smart people. Give 'em a try.

StarLyte
04-10-2008, 05:46
How will the mice get in afterwards ? :D

Kelty is good canvas. Match up a piece of fabric, take it into a seamster or shoe repair.

NICKTHEGREEK
04-10-2008, 05:50
They varied widely in price and material but quality generally was good. Like any company that had maybe 100 different pack designs over several decades some were better than others.

Doughnut
04-10-2008, 07:03
Kelty used to be known as the Cadillac of Packs. Back before Internal Frames and such

Lyle
04-10-2008, 10:05
In the past I have repaired holes of that size (usually mouse induced) with rip-stop repair tape. Tape both sides, sticky side to sticky side. Then stitch around the perimeter. Held well for many years with normal use. The adhesive held the loose threads of the original material and kept it from unraveling. Probably would take care that excess stress wasn't put on the patch itself, no sharp or protruding objects placed right over the patch.

Bob S
04-10-2008, 10:14
Thanks for all the replies; I’m going to try to find a shoe repair place this week (great idea.)

Mags
04-10-2008, 10:37
I've used dental floss as the thread for many pack repairs that ended up being permanant repairs..

My beloved day pack (that I just retired recently) had many dental floss repairs. Dental floss makes wonderful thread for sewing up equipment.

mudhead
04-10-2008, 12:33
That thing looked like it might walk off on it's own. Did you give it a place of honor, or a Viking burial?

Mags
04-10-2008, 13:49
That thing looked like it might walk off on it's own. Did you give it a place of honor, or a Viking burial?

I should have a burning ceremony.

I loved that pack. Ground in red dirt from Utah, sweat and salt stains, faded from the sun, copious amounts of dental floss at the stress points.

People always commented "Man..that pack looks it is well used".

I had it for 10+ years. A constant companion.

(Yes. I have trail patches on my daypack. No car until fairly recently. They were my wicked cool bumpah stickahs)

http://www.pmags.com/gearpics/pack_front.JPG

http://www.pmags.com/gearpics/pack_side.JPG

Now I have a GoLite pack I bought for $30. It is starting to get well used. It is lighter than the old day pack..but will it have the same value to me? Maybe ten years from now. :)

Bob S
04-10-2008, 14:44
Yea that pack looks like it’s paid its dues.

LIhikers
04-10-2008, 15:40
Ah, thrift store packs. I've gotten several that way. Now I'm working on trying to get my nieces and nephews to join me for a trip so we can put them to good use! :)

atraildreamer
04-12-2008, 13:52
.Looks like you got a great deal. I'd just sew a patch on with dental floss. You can tow a car with that stuff.

Use the waxed dental floss. The wax makes it easier to pull the floss thru the fabric, and the wax itself will help to seal the needle holes and help in waterproofing. I have repaired holes in tents this way and have good results.

If you use the mint flavored floss, this helps to negate some of the 2 week on the trail, in the rain, mud, and heat aroma! :eek:

mudhead
04-12-2008, 18:00
If you are headed to the twillies, and intend for the dental floss to repair gear as well be used for suture material, you want unwaxed.

I have some fancy Nexcare strips that serve that function.

Lyle
04-12-2008, 20:26
"If you use the mint flavored floss, this helps to negate some of the 2 week on the trail, in the rain, mud, and heat aroma! :eek:"

May also make for some interesting nights in bear country with a tent or sleeping bag repaired with mint dental floss.:rolleyes:

BitBucket
04-12-2008, 20:31
You could try contacting Kelty and see if they will repair it free (or for a nominal cost)

Stir Fry
04-12-2008, 21:15
[quote=tsluscier;590627]are kelty backpacks generally good quality

I have been using one for 7 yr and have never had a problem. I want to get an new one but this one has grown on me . I know where every thin goes. So I cant bring myself to try a new pack.

Bob S
04-12-2008, 23:14
You could try contacting Kelty and see if they will repair it free (or for a nominal cost)

I wouldn’t feel right asking them to do a free repair on a backpack I picked up for $3.00 and damaged from a burn hole.

I would guess shipping to them would cost as much as having it repaired locally.

tina.anderson
04-15-2008, 12:50
Yeah it's probably not worth it to ship it to them. Great find though, despite the needed repair. $3.00 is a steal.