PDA

View Full Version : another boot question-

le loupe
04-09-2008, 20:57
ok, I'm planning my first section on the AT and first real week long excursion. Also, I'm a big guy (240 lbs + pack) and I use an orthotic for plantar fasciaitis. I'm willing to invest in a $200 pair of heavyweight boots if that keeps me hiking and having a good time.

That said it seems that people hike in all manner of footwear, sandals and running shoes even.

One thread even talked about you shoe selection as if it didnt really matter as long as you understood you might need to buy 5 pairs of running shoes to match the mileage of a heavyweight boot.

I can afford an expensive pair of boots, but do i need them. Would I be just as happy in something light or midweight? I can visit EMS & REI and talk to their "boot gurus" but wanted to hear some ideas from the populus.

Summit
04-09-2008, 21:43
First off, don't expect EMS/REI to necessarily have a "boot guru." You might luck up and get one and then again you likely will not.

If you have special foot needs (as you indicated), your orthopedic doctor would be the place to start. If he/she isn't up to speed on backpacking footwear, find one who is.

If it's just special inserts you have then take them with you. If you don't already have the proper socks, shop socks first. Get two pair of thin merino wool liner socks like:

http://www.rei.com/product/659684

Then get two pair of thick outer socks like:

http://www.rei.com/product/242078

Put a pair of each on and then start trying out the trail runners first, replacing the shoe's inserts with yours (or adding yours). Vasque, Merrell, Salomon are probably the top 3 and fit should drive your decision. These are the ones I am currently using and love them:

http://www.rei.com/product/748515

Then, for comparison, try some "mids" and maybe a few of the heavier conventional heavy boots. But if the cross-trainers / trail runners feel right I'd go with them. My personal opinion is you will not be "hiking and having a good time" in heavy boots.

le loupe
04-09-2008, 21:51
The orthotic is just an insert that I plan on taking with me and sizing the boots with. I've read all the info i can about socks and sock liners. I understand the axiom of if they "feel right" use them.

But some info says if your going to be out for several days with a heavy pack (food for 7 days, no resupply) I need a heavyweight boot.

Is this overly cautious advice, is this the best case scenario, or is this overkill?

Summit
04-09-2008, 21:56
You should be able to get your pack weight down to 40 lbs or less with 7-8 days of food without too much effort. I do two 7-8 day hikes every year with the Merrells I showed you with great comfort and no downsides. I'm 5'10" and 190 lbs.

Summit
04-09-2008, 22:01
The "shoe sales people" at EMS/REI will likely try to steer you toward the heavy, hightop boots as a result of their sales training. Very few of them (that I've encountered) actually have the hiking experience you'll find from folks here at WB. So yes, I would say they typically give overly cautious advice.

joec
04-10-2008, 09:08
To each his own, but I did the trail runner thing last year and after 10 miles my feet hurt enough that I did not want to go further. I switched back to the heavier leather boots I had worn forever on my last hike and I did not have any pain with my feet. It is a trade off, heavier boots protect more but you have to lug them, dry or wet, every step. Trail runners are lighter but less protection. Pick your poison.

hopefulhiker
04-10-2008, 09:16
You know, I started out with a pair of Vasque Sundowners, a good mid weight leather , gortex lined, hiking boot. They were good as boots go. But in Damascus I switched over to trail runners and do not regret it. I started out weighing well over two hundred lbs myself.. I would highly reccommend those Super Feet inserts too. I used them in the boots and the trail runners...

Summit
04-10-2008, 11:41
The reason mileage varies regarding good/bad experiences with trail runners and heavy leather boots has to do with anatomical differences. We're all created different (thank you God!) and should not expect one shoe (literally) to fit all! I do think the vast majority of hikers would find trail runners the better choice for both section hiking and long hikes. ;)

mudhead
04-10-2008, 11:59
If I lived in NJ, I would want to go poke around at Campmor.

le loupe
04-10-2008, 12:17
Campmor may as well be in a different state- Its easier for me to go to EMS in Delaware, try things on and then order from Campmor online.

mudhead
04-10-2008, 12:23
Like LL Bean for me. I forget how long that state is, and how green. You need a better selection than EMS, from what I have seen. Good luck!

twosticks
04-10-2008, 15:25
ok, I'm planning my first section on the AT and first real week long excursion. Also, I'm a big guy (240 lbs + pack) and I use an orthotic for plantar fasciaitis. I'm willing to invest in a $200 pair of heavyweight boots if that keeps me hiking and having a good time.

That said it seems that people hike in all manner of footwear, sandals and running shoes even.

One thread even talked about you shoe selection as if it didnt really matter as long as you understood you might need to buy 5 pairs of running shoes to match the mileage of a heavyweight boot.

I can afford an expensive pair of boots, but do i need them. Would I be just as happy in something light or midweight? I can visit EMS & REI and talk to their "boot gurus" but wanted to hear some ideas from the populus.

I like the Sundowner GTX by Vasque, I believe. Great boot, lots of support. I have duck feet (flat and wide) and should be using those orthonics things(don't want to pony up the $500) so I get by with the orange super feet and those boots. Check em out.

LIhikers
04-10-2008, 16:08
I've had good luck with Vasque Clarion boots.

Summit
04-10-2008, 16:43
Campmor may as well be in a different state- Its easier for me to go to EMS in Delaware, try things on and then order from Campmor online."Google" the full name of the shoe you want to order and check all the "hits." I seldom find Campmor to have the best price anymore.

le loupe
04-10-2008, 17:51
orthotics where worth the $500- I wouldnt even bother with hiking if I didn't have them. The pain would have been too much. Its the best bit of pre-emptive medicine I've had.

Anybody like the Patagonia Vagabond? $75 or so from STP right now...

Summit
04-10-2008, 21:25
Anybody like the Patagonia Vagabond? $75 or so from STP right now...Try 'em on and see if they feel good. I had some mid-height Vasque boots like them once and they rubbed and bothered me around the ankles. They don't come up over the ankles but rather the ankle bone rests (and may rub) right on the top part. For that reason, I prefer the low-cut trail runners. Also they are waterproof. Since they are too low-cut to keep rain out, they will wind up keeping water that runs down your legs in, and they'll take forever to dry.

Mr. Clean
04-11-2008, 04:19
I have P.T. and hike in mid-weights. Just make sure they have a good solid shank in them. I have Beans Mtn treads, about 2 lbs, 8 oz.

My mother lives in Mauricetown.

Mother's Finest
04-11-2008, 10:49
If you have orthotics that work for you, meaning that you are symptom free from PF, then do not worry about a heavy boot.

The issue with any shoe gear is the heel counter. A high-quality running shoe or trail running shoe will be made with a strong heel counter. Asics and Brooks come to mind immediately as being made with very firm counters. The insole is removed and your orthotic supports your foot.

As to running shoes vs boots, you have to do what works for you.

peace
mf

le loupe
04-11-2008, 12:55
Thanks mother, interesting idea- the orthotic is the main support. so pick a boot/shoe i like

Mother's Finest
04-11-2008, 13:54
Thanks mother, interesting idea- the orthotic is the main support. so pick a boot/shoe i like

I wouldn't steer you wrong. I work with feet everyday.

Pick a boot/shoe THAT FITS. (because there are lots of em out there that I like, but won't fit me)

peace
mf

take-a-knee
04-11-2008, 14:46
I wouldn't steer you wrong. I work with feet everyday.

Pick a boot/shoe THAT FITS. (because there are lots of em out there that I like, but won't fit me)

peace
mf

That is the MAIN THING! They have to fit first and foremost, if they don't feel really great in the store, they will surely suck on the trail.