PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Products....

88BlueGT
04-10-2008, 00:13
I've been looking at Tarptents for a while but now that its summer time I have a strong feeling that I will be picking one up soon. I'm not sure which one I want to get yet since I'm undecided on a solo or 2 person. My question is though, is there a catch with buying a tarptent? I'm checking out all their products out and they just seem too good to be true, just wondering if there are any down sides to these tents...?

Nearly Normal
04-10-2008, 00:20
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=589951#post589951

88BlueGT
04-10-2008, 01:02
thanks for the thread post.... not too many people commented on any tarptents though.

BTW, I am 5'8'' if anyone was going to ask :)

zeal
04-10-2008, 01:52
I bought a contrail a couple weeks ago. Haven't had it on the trail yet but used it in the backyard a couple of nights. I'm 6' tall and there's plenty of room and great ventilation. Haven't used it in the rain yet. I read on a different thread that it sags in the rain. Not enough tension on the guy lines maybe? Guess I'll have to see for myself! I'm really not a fan of trekking poles so i ordered the optional tent pole to set it up with. So i think that might limit the ways i can set it up. All around, I think its pretty awesome.

Sailor (The other one)
04-10-2008, 05:35
My wife and I have a Tarptent Double Rainbow. We've used it on the AT for six nights last fall, several one or two nighters in Florida last summer and this spring. We use a tyvek footprint (highly recommended) and the inner wall Henry sells for condensation issues.
The DR is a tad cramped at the shoulers when we sleep side by side. Would not be a problem sleeping feet to heads. Excellent foot and head space with room for gear at each end. Smaller, lighter packs would probably fit inside, especially frameless. Terrific sit-up space. Quick to set up. It would be a palace for one person, especially at only 2.5 lbs.
We had some rain splash at the foot and head ends on Springer one night. This has been commented on by others at length. We solved it temporarily by digging two inch holes for the pole ends. There are clips and stretch material on each side - one set per side - to hold up the floor. We plan to add the same things, two clips at each end and two more for each side. I have read, though, that there's a way to get the flooring up in a bathtub shape simply by changing the setup, but I haven't tried it, yet. Supposedly, you peg the floor straight out at a right angle to the short (width) dimension.
We have had no condensation issues except when we used the wings as vestibules to store gear. None inside. We sat out 24 hours of rain inside very comfortably. The double wing wide open set up is terrific for the Florida heat. Great ventilation, no bug problems.
You MUST seam seal it. We put two coats inside and three outside everywhere thread passed through fabric and have had no leak problems.
Ver extensive thread about the DR here:
http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836&highlight=Double+Rainbow
We want a tipi style tent tall enough to stand in yet still light. We can't find one anywhere and are so impressed with Henry's work we're bugging him to make one.

minnesotasmith
04-10-2008, 07:08
I've been looking at Tarptents for a while but now that its summer time I have a strong feeling that I will be picking one up soon. I'm not sure which one I want to get yet since I'm undecided on a solo or 2 person. My question is though, is there a catch with buying a tarptent? I'm checking out all their products out and they just seem too good to be true, just wondering if there are any down sides to these tents...?

It was fine. Quick to set up, would fit ON trail if need be, slept in it in downpours all right. Only issue was being single-walled, if outside wet could dampen cloth touching it, and any SW tent with thin enough walls for low weight would IMO do that. I'd use them again.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-10-2008, 07:11
If you want to read the link posted by RBrownKatz, you will need to copy the link and paste it into a browser window not currently viewing WhiteBlaze. The owner of that site has set it so anyone attempting to get to his site from this site is redirected to our home page. Obviously, he has some serious issues - pray for him.

Lilred
04-10-2008, 08:26
I love my tarptent Squall. Condensation is easily remedied with a swipe of the bandana, and I'm short, 5', so I can sit up and get dressed and never touch the walls. There are few advantages being short, this is one of them.

I use a hiking pole and never had a problem with sagging. You must be careful when tying out the side guylines that you don't pull them taut. It'll make your headroom shrink.

Deadeye
04-10-2008, 08:34
I have the original squall, and it's a great product. Performs as advertised. I use either the pole it comes with or a trekking pole with good results. The usual caveats of single-wall tents apply, but that's not unique to Shires' products. Accurate weights, worth the price (which actually seems more reasonable than most)

Rcarver
04-10-2008, 09:08
Great products. I bought a squall a few years ago and really liked it. When Henry came out with the squall 2, i had to have it. In fact, i also had to get a rainbow. Love both of them so much, that it's hard for me to decide which one to take backpacking sometimes. I've tried about 20 different tents through the years and i really like Henry's designs.

hopefulhiker
04-10-2008, 09:09
I thru hiked with the Squall two.. It was great. They really are good..

The only catch if there is one is the condensation... Condensation happens when there is a temperature difference... The way to solve this is to set up so that you have ventilation (but not in really high wind), flowing through the tent. So set it up so the front catches the wind.. Also it is good to set it up under some tree canopy and not in the middle of a field.. This helps..

The tarp tent was one of my favorite pieces of gear on my 05 thru hike....

John B
04-10-2008, 09:27
I have a Squall and my only issue with it is that it seems to sag quite a bit during rain. It could be that I don't have it stretched nearly as tight as needed, though.

take-a-knee
04-10-2008, 10:04
I have a Squall and my only issue with it is that it seems to sag quite a bit during rain. It could be that I don't have it stretched nearly as tight as needed, though.

I made some tensioners for the guylines on my tarptent from green theraband material, this really helps with the sagging:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearTarpTensioner2.html

burger
04-10-2008, 10:21
I have a Squall 2, and I would recommend it to anyone hiking the AT. Contrary to the above poster, I never had any problems with sag during rain, and mine has kept me dry in some serious downpours. For one person, the Squall is palatial--I could easily fit my pack inside and still have plenty of room to stretch out and spread my gear out.

By the way, if you do get a Tarptent I strongly recommend that you treat the floor to make it tougher and less slippery (see link here (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html)). Once you treat the floor, you'll be able to get away with a very thin or even no groundcloth, saving you a few more ounces.

minnesotasmith
04-10-2008, 11:01
If you want to read the link posted by RBrownKatz, you will need to copy the link and paste it into a browser window not currently viewing WhiteBlaze. The owner of that site has set it so anyone attempting to get to his site from this site is redirected to our home page. Obviously, he has some serious issues - pray for him.

I checked out the home page of that site. They are currently not accepting new members. And, the terms of use forbid posting links to anything elsewhere on the Internet. That place sounds as closed as North Korea, making Wingfoot's old site look as open to new info as WB.

LIhikers
04-10-2008, 16:12
My wife and I have 2 different Tarptents. We have the Rainbow for solo use, with or without our dog. Plus we have the Rainshow 2 for use with 2 people, with or without the dog. They work well, have kept us dry in pooring rain, keep out the bugs and are light weight. The only down side is occasional condensation.

88BlueGT
04-10-2008, 16:16
Thanks for all the reinforcement guys. I seem to be hooked on the Contrail because of the weight but I really need to get a 2 person so when my girlfriend comes we can share a tent. The Squall 2 is definetely my next choice though. Since I was going to spend $400 on a Black Diamond Hi-Light originally, maybe I'll just buy both :)

88BlueGT
04-10-2008, 16:25
Plus also, I really liked the Contrail becuase it seemed that the front beak was alot bigger which would give me more room to store gear outside and somewhere to possible cook in the rain, etc. Can you get an extended front beak for the Contrail? I just seen on their site that they had the option for the extended beak back in 03... not sure if its still an option now though... anyone know?

taildragger
04-10-2008, 16:50
I've got an original cloudburst and this thing has been a great tent for me. Its big enough to fit my friend (6'2" 160) and myself (6' 200) with no problems. I might carry a tarp with me anyways just for versatility and having a good place to reliably store gear in the rain.

The downfall of this design (IMHO) is the small vestibule, but like I said, I might just bring a tarp to throw up over the gear.

hopefulhiker
04-10-2008, 16:54
You might look at the Cloudburst for two people.. It is like a really big Squall but you have a front arch pole...

Hooch
04-10-2008, 17:07
*cough* Hammock. :rolleyes::D

Skidsteer
04-10-2008, 18:18

You guys really can't help yourself can you? :p

Hooch
04-10-2008, 18:23
You guys really can't help yourself can you? :pNope.....I'll convert you too one of these days Skids. :rolleyes::D

Skidsteer
04-10-2008, 18:26
Nope.....I'll convert you too one of these days Skids. :rolleyes::D

I already have a hammock. And a tent. And a tarp. And a tarptent.

I sleep as well in one as the other. Must be livin' right. :D

Hooch
04-10-2008, 18:28
I already have a hammock. And a tent. And a tarp. And a tarptent.

I sleep as well in one as the other. Must be livin' right. :DMust be. :rolleyes: Really, what would WB do without the hammockers here trying to get others in line? :eek:

minnesotasmith
04-10-2008, 19:00

The PERFECT sleep shelter for balds or above treeline. :rolleyes:

I'll stick with my tarptent.

Hooch
04-10-2008, 19:05
The PERFECT sleep shelter for balds or above treeline. :rolleyes:

I'll stick with my tarptent.Doubles as a bivy/tarptent*. :D

* To be used in desperation only. Sleeping on the ground is inherently evil.

johnnyblisters
04-10-2008, 19:44

Have been using a hammock for the past 3 years, and I love it. But I also like spending nights on the ground. My tarptent (contrail) has turned out to be a great product. I have only spent a couple of nights in it but for the weight, bug protection, and ample room, I love it. Although sleeping between two trees really can't be beat for comfort, my tarptent will be coming with me for my next few section hikes for sure.

minnesotasmith
04-10-2008, 20:27
Sleeping on the ground is inherently evil.

Like sleeping in shelters, sleeping on the ground allows for lying with your back flat. Ahhhhh... Comfort. :)

Hooch
04-10-2008, 23:22
Like sleeping in shelters, sleeping on the ground allows for lying with your back flat. Ahhhhh... Comfort. :)And so does a hammock hung correctly. Of course, this hammock (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH.htm)is designed for such. But, then again, I passed that link on to you before. :D

Sailor (The other one)
04-11-2008, 05:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=591074#post591074)

I checked out the home page of that site. They are currently not accepting new members. And, the terms of use forbid posting links to anything elsewhere on the Internet. That place sounds as closed as North Korea, making Wingfoot's old site look as open to new info as WB.

Sometimes I feel like I've stumbled into some weird soap opera...

Rcarver
04-11-2008, 09:14
I would rather quit backpacking then to use a hammock.

hopefulhiker
04-11-2008, 09:22
If you think this is bad, do not go to the political forums!

Anyway the tarp tents are really good.. there are other compnanies that make good products too like six moon designs.....

kytrailman
04-11-2008, 10:33
Henry makes a super quality product. Despite the light weight materials the construction is solid and I never have worries of malfunction in the field.

Hooch
04-11-2008, 11:11
I would rather quit backpacking then to use a hammock.Then you've probably never tried one. :rolleyes::D

Rcarver
04-11-2008, 11:14
Yea. i've tried one. thank you.

Hooch
04-11-2008, 11:18
Yea. i've tried one. thank you.More trees for the rest of us then. Thanks for donating yours. :D

minnesotasmith
04-11-2008, 11:38
And so does a hammock hung correctly. Of course, this hammock (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH.htm)is designed for such. But, then again, I passed that link on to you before. :D

Looks light-years ahead of the usual "your back WILL be curved, and don't even THINK about lying on your side" hammocks. I'd actually consider getting one of these, but for their weight capacity. (Before thruhikes, I weigh more than they're rated for.) If you can tell me where I can find a hammock like this that'll hold me, I'd like to know about it.

I have long envied hammockers' option to set up camp anywhere there are two trees. With that one issue dealt with, I could do the same...

take-a-knee
04-11-2008, 13:50
Looks light-years ahead of the usual "your back WILL be curved, and don't even THINK about lying on your side" hammocks. I'd actually consider getting one of these, but for their weight capacity. (Before thruhikes, I weigh more than they're rated for.) If you can tell me where I can find a hammock like this that'll hold me, I'd like to know about it.

I have long envied hammockers' option to set up camp anywhere there are two trees. With that one issue dealt with, I could do the same...

I understand they are working on that currently, also some have said that hammock needs to be wider for them so that will be in the redesign supposedly. The Jacks are easy folks to talk to and they answer their phone.

Pootz
04-11-2008, 14:05
We have 4 tarp tents and like them all. I used a squal 2 and my girlfriend used a rainbow during our 2007 thru hikes. Both worked very well. And we just ordered a double rainbow for a hike we are doing this summer. The advantages of the rainbow are more head room and they can be set up free standing using your hiking pools.

Hooch
04-11-2008, 15:17

I have long envied hammockers' option to set up camp anywhere there are two trees. With that one issue dealt with, I could do the same...MS, the usual "your back WILL be curved, and don't even THINK about lying on your side" hammock allows me to do just that. I lay on my side and sleep soundly laying flat. There are plenty of us who do. If you're ever in my neck of the woods or we both attend an AT/WB event somewhere, I'll bring my hammock (I always have it with me anyway) and will be more than happy to show you how. In the mean time, give us a look on Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net), you can get plenty of info on anything hammock related. On the ground or off, happy trails and best wishes. We now return this to your regularly scheduled thread.

margo
04-11-2008, 19:19
I can see how in some instances a hammock would be the best thing, like in a jungle or other wet humid envirnonment. If I did more overnights I would consider one.

I have a double rainbow. I had to seam seal mine twice to catch a small drip on the top where the velcro and top tube are. As little as it leaked it would have gone unnoticed. I had trouble setting mine up at first but when I used my hiking poles as guides to keep the sides perpendicular I could do it.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/gitarmac/hiking/rainbow5.jpg

margo
04-11-2008, 22:28
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/gitarmac/hiking/rainbow1.jpgOpps, I can't edit my post. I was going to comment on those tensioners. I whipped some bungee cord elastic to rope for my hiking poles but those surgical tube tensioners look much neater and lighter, I'm going to try that on tent guy line!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/gitarmac/hiking/rainbow.jpg
all battened down!

Ramble~On
04-12-2008, 03:16

:-? To good to be true..funny you should say that.
I picked up a Rainbow in ?January and have said the same thing many times. 37.5 ounces total..that includes my liberal seam sealing, stakes, pole and stuff sacks. I ran this thing through it's paces to see what it could handle and that included a very strong wind storm, snow, hail and plenty of rain. I figured the Rainbow would be shredded during the night of very high winds...nope, it survived without a seam torn. The headroom, usable interior and vestibule space for 37 ounces..seems to good to be true.
If all HS Tarptents are as well designed and constructed as the Rainbow...you can't go wrong! I have nothing bad to say.
I hiked the Foothills Trail in March and often had no condensation at all and when I did I wiped it up with a bandana before packing up.
I hammock and tent..with he combined weight of a Rainbow and an ENO I can do either or both for less weight than most people carry in a tent alone.
It's hard to beat an ENO type hammock set up to be used as a chair/lounger.

Terry7
04-12-2008, 08:37
Check out The Lunar Duo by www.sixmoondesign.com (http://www.sixmoondesign.com)

Berserker
04-15-2008, 13:08
I am a big fan of the Tarptents. I have an original Squall and a Double Rainbow. For hiking on the East coast where most of your camping is probably done under tree cover I think Tarptents are perfect. They are light, well ventilated, and have a lot of space inside. The only downsides I see are that condensation can be an issue at times, and the ventilation is actually not a good thing when it is really cold outside. These two issues can be easily resolved by carrying a pack towel, and using a different tent when it is cold.

At any rate, I use the Double Rainbow for 3 season use, and a Hilleberg Akto in the winter (or really bad weather). I prefer the Double Rainbow over the Squall due to the increased amount of head room (I am 6'-5").

88BlueGT
04-15-2008, 22:15
I really wanted to get the Atko but I need a 2 person tent for when I have company, unfortunately.

take-a-knee
04-15-2008, 23:38
I am a big fan of the Tarptents. I have an original Squall and a Double Rainbow. For hiking on the East coast where most of your camping is probably done under tree cover I think Tarptents are perfect. They are light, well ventilated, and have a lot of space inside. The only downsides I see are that condensation can be an issue at times, and the ventilation is actually not a good thing when it is really cold outside. These two issues can be easily resolved by carrying a pack towel, and using a different tent when it is cold.

At any rate, I use the Double Rainbow for 3 season use, and a Hilleberg Akto in the winter (or really bad weather). I prefer the Double Rainbow over the Squall due to the increased amount of head room (I am 6'-5").

I think that combo (Rainbow/Atko) would be hard to beat. I don't own an Atko but I believe it would be unusable in the Southeast for over four months each year, it would simply be too warm, this is when the tarptent outshines any double walled tent.

The Band-aid Kid
04-15-2008, 23:45
I used 2 tarptents during my 2007 thru; a Henry Shires Rainbow 1+ and a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. They both weighed 2lbs 2 oz the way I carried them. I loved the Rainbow and learned to despize the Lunar Solo.

The Rainbow kept me dry in even a driving rain, had plenty of head room to sit up and change in, had plenty of room to keep my pack and gear inside, and was plenty long enough for me (I'm 5'10"), my bag foot never got wet. I sealed all outside seams 3X and it never leaked. Ventilation was fine and the bug netting saved my Butt (literally) on many occasions. Of the 2 tents, this one is my keeper.

I just couldn't seem to get the Lunar Solo set up right to shed rain without having one side of the canopy dropping onto me or my gear. Sites with any kind of slope to them were very hard to pitch properly in, and I found few tent sites on the AT that were perfectly level. There was very little head room and it was almost impossible to change my shirt without brushing the canopy and picking up condensation from the canopy. When closed down in windy rain it condensed badly. There was less usable room for gear than you might expect because the canopy drooped badly into every corner, so despite lots of floor space I found it had very little usable space that would not be brushing the canopy.

Both tents had condensation occasionally. But, it seemed the Rainbow had it much less frequently because ventilitation was better. And, when the Rainbow had condensation it was MUCH easier to stay out of the way of it and get it with a bandana before it got me. In the Lunar Solo this was always a chore and usually resulted in lots of water on me and my gear.

If anyone wants a relatively new Lunar Solo, I have one for sale...

Berserker
04-16-2008, 13:01
I think that combo (Rainbow/Atko) would be hard to beat. I don't own an Atko but I believe it would be unusable in the Southeast for over four months each year, it would simply be too warm, this is when the tarptent outshines any double walled tent.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend the Akto for summer use in the SE although I have used it once or twice in the summer. It is a 4 season tent, and is definitely more at home in colder weather.

envirodiver
04-16-2008, 13:12
[quote=hopefulhiker;592220]If you think this is bad, do not go to the political forums!
quote]

As Elvis Costello said "I used to be disgusted...but now I'm just amused"

Been dry of those forums for about a month now. I feel a lot better. Not nearly as much anger in me.:banana:banana:banana

88BlueGT
04-17-2008, 23:28
One other thing I was thinking about, is the fabric that tarptent uses loud? I just thought about it after watching this video from gossamer gear (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/The_One.html). Although it looks like a really nice solo tent, I have a feel that a night sleeping in that with good winds would agrivate the hell out of me. Please let me know. thanks guys.

88BlueGT
04-17-2008, 23:46
I have a very strong feeling its not going to be as loud as the spintek (or whatever it is) material that gossamer gear uses but I just don't want something thats going to be annoying at night while trying to sleep and when a gust of wind comes it sounds like a tree is crashing down or something lol.........

take-a-knee
04-17-2008, 23:58
I have a very strong feeling its not going to be as loud as the spintek (or whatever it is) material that gossamer gear uses but I just don't want something thats going to be annoying at night while trying to sleep and when a gust of wind comes it sounds like a tree is crashing down or something lol.........

I believe all of the Shires Tarptents are silnylon except for the spinnaker version made for Gossamer Gear, and it looks to be out of production due to a shortage of material.

Silnylon doesn't "rustle" but it will flap if it isn't properly staked and it does stretch some so some sort of tarp tensioner (shock cord or rubber tubing) helps to prevent this.

88BlueGT
04-18-2008, 00:23
OK well thats a good thing because I don't consider silnylon loud....

Now I'm back to excitement. All I have to do is sell some parts off my Mustang and I'll be good to go! Anyone interested ?!!? LoL