PDA

View Full Version : Tray Gap to Dick's Creek Gap

FIRFTR911
04-10-2008, 08:50
I'm very new to this site, and need some help. I have been following hikes on Trail Journals for years and will finally have the opportunity to spend some time on the AT this June. I have several questions...

What to bring with for a day hike (water, matches, map, compass?)?
Where is a good spot to stop for lunch?
Is this section of trail exposed, or shady?
Is the trail well marked?
Can you get a cell signal from the Dick's Creek Area?
How long should we expect it to take (we are in average shape at best, and from very flat Chicago)?Also, any other tips or info on this section would be greatly appreciated! I have some "wilderness" experience, but most is from the Boundary Waters, paddeling and carrying a canoe. Sorry for the long post, but I didn't want to start 6 different threads.

bloodmountainman
04-10-2008, 09:04
This section of trail is 16.5 miles from Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap.
It is a shaded section with open views on the ridge line.
Tray Mt. shelter or Deep Gap shelter are good lunch spots.
Cell phones will work on the ridges.
Carry water or water filter ( several springs to obtain water)
Food ( don't over do this)
Rain Gear
Should be able to cover this ground in a weekend!:welcome

Dances with Mice
04-10-2008, 09:18
Others will chime in:

Things to bring: All that you mentioned plus raincoats, tp & hand sanitizer and water bottle & water treatment of choice.

Lunch depends on when you start - Your hike is about 12 +/- miles, Addis Gap is about 6 miles, Deep Gap is about 8 miles. If you start early, Deep Gap is a nice rest stop.

It will mostly be shady in June.

The Trail is extremely well marked.

I don't know about the phone signal, sometimes it depends on your carrier. I think people call hostels from there so it should be ok. Others might know.

This walk is about 12 miles including a climb of about 600 feet up Tray Mtn and nearly 1000 foot climb over Kelly Knob. But you also have a long flat section through the Swag. So I'd guesstimate 2 mph walking time counting rest and sightseeing breaks, plus however long for lunch. 6 to 8 hours.

FIRFTR911
04-10-2008, 16:23
Thanks for the info. I can't wait until June.

Summit
04-10-2008, 16:32
There is an outstanding view from both Tray Mtn. and on the rocks to the right on the Tray Mtn. shelter trail (one of the finest campsites anywhere by these rocks). If you are indeed starting at Tray Gap, just .9 miles south of Tray Mtn, then you won't be ready for lunch at Tray shelter (it would be a great place on these rocks mentioned above).

I would suggest a side trip at Addis Gap -> right -> about 3/4 mile down the logging road to where the old Addis Gap shelter used to be. There is an excellent stream there so it would be a good water replenishment stop as well as a great place for lunch.

SteveJ
04-10-2008, 16:48
<clip>Can you get a cell signal from the Dick's Creek Area?<clip>

I came off the trail at Dick's Creek Gap yesterday. My Verizon phone, which generally has the best coverage in GA (in my experience), did not have a signal out....I did have coverage on all the ridges that I tried to call from south and north of there....

Steve

bigmac_in
04-10-2008, 17:37
I was at Dick's Creek Gap last May and had signal on my Verizon phone. But my phone seems to get signal better than most. If you are looking to call for a ride, call before you descend.

-SEEKER-
04-10-2008, 19:45
When you start seeing the stream right alongside the trail before you get to Dick's Creek Gap that is your last sure chance for a cell signal.

FIRFTR911
04-11-2008, 08:07
When you start seeing the stream right alongside the trail before you get to Dick's Creek Gap that is your last sure chance for a cell signal.

This is great information. How long (time wise) is it from that point to Dick's Creek Gap? Our wives aren't real happy with us being gone all day already, so the less time they are sitting in a parking lot with 4 kids waiting for us, the better.

-SEEKER-
04-11-2008, 21:04
Five minutes or less actually. That's where I called the Cloud9 Hiker Hostel from.

Skidsteer
04-11-2008, 21:39
This is great information. How long (time wise) is it from that point to Dick's Creek Gap? Our wives aren't real happy with us being gone all day already, so the less time they are sitting in a parking lot with 4 kids waiting for us, the better.

Five minutes or less actually. That's where I called the Cloud9 Hiker Hostel from.

Worst case scenario you could hike to Cloud9(@ 2 miles)and ask to use the phone.

Catch a trout while you're there.