PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference.....

musicwoman
04-10-2008, 10:21
Between a water purifier bottle and a water filter bottle....I was looking at some Katadyn products recently, specifically the Katadyn Exstream water purifier bottle vs. the Katadyn Microfilter bottle. Both have built in filters.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to each? I am thinking the purifier is better, but I am not sure....

Advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks!!

Footslogger
04-10-2008, 10:27
A filter bottle removes floaties and contaminants using some form of mechanical filter element (paper, ceramic etc). A purifier bottle may or may not include a mechanical filter but in addition it renders water "purified" by nature of some chemical treatment.

Mechanical filtration is as good as the filter medium. In other words ...the medium is designed to remove items of a certain size. The smaller the size of item removed the better the filtration.

Chemical filtration is as good as the chemical used. The more effective the chemical is at neutralizing or eliminating all pathogens the better the purification.

'Slogger

slowandlow
04-11-2008, 22:56
The exstream bottle has a cyst filter small enough to remove giardia, the other one doesn't. I own an exstream and it is good for dayhikes where you can use it as intended i.e. fill and drink as you go. The flow rate is too slow to filter any significant amount of water at one time as for cooking, etc. Replacement filters are also very expensive relative to the number of gallons they will treat. I bought the exstream a few years ago when I was just learning about gear and it didn't take long to replace it with a hiker pro filter for backpacking trips. Hope this helps.

Bob S
04-12-2008, 01:14
Anyone know how those filter straws work? I have seen them in camping stores but never bought one.