PDA

View Full Version : water storage

Cassiusblack
04-10-2008, 13:13
Hey guys what kind of gear do you use for water storage. I've heard use of Gatorade bottles and Nalgens and camlbacks all kind of things. can someone just post what they will be using to store their water this year?

Thanks

greentick
04-10-2008, 13:19
platypus bladders 1L and 2.5L, no drinking tube

.5 or 1L for bourbon

Uncle B
04-10-2008, 13:29
platypus bladders 1L and 2.5L, no drinking tube

.5 or 1L for bourbon

Be sure to hold the top of the platy when you turn up the brown water. It stings when in your eye.

At least that's what I'm told. :D

hopefulhiker
04-10-2008, 13:33
I used a one litre and a two litre platypus,(no hoses), and one gatoraid bottle

Hooch
04-10-2008, 13:38
While hiking, I use an MSR 2.5 liter Cloudliner. For in camp use, I use a Nalgene 3 liter Cantene.

Cassiusblack
04-10-2008, 13:55
why no drinking tubes guys? Did you just not get one that came with a hose or do you not want one in particular?

Hooch
04-10-2008, 13:58
why no drinking tubes guys?

While hiking, I use an MSR 2.5 liter Cloudliner......Hello? (http://www.msrgear.com/hydration/cloudliner.asp) :D

bigcranky
04-10-2008, 13:59
1-liter Aqua Fina bottles. They are cheap and last forever (and come pre-filled!)

1.5-liter Nalgene Cantenes if I want a larger bottle, which also folds up for storage.

6-liter Platypus zip-top bag for gathering and treating a large quantity of water. Very useful for family hikes.

Blissful
04-10-2008, 14:18
Soda bottles which were exchanged frequently in towns. I also had my platypus drink tube set up. For water gathering, we used a Nalgene canteen.

deeddawg
04-10-2008, 15:01
I use a 4L Platypus water tank plus two 1.8L Platypus', one with drinking tube. The tubed one goes in the pocket on my pack.

I gather water at lunch or end-of-day with the 4L tank and treat with Aquamira. I don't usually fill all 4L, just what I figure I'll need. I use whatever is left in my primary 1.8L for lunch / dinner and by the time I'm done the treated water is ready to use to refill the primary. I have a "filter link" cap for the 4L, so I just pull the bitevalve off the tube and fill the primary without pulling it out of its pocket. The second 1.8L serves as a spare or for extra water if my planned lunch spot is dry.

I also carry a 16oz nalgene with a home-made Reflectix cozy to use for tea or mixing powdered drink mix. I don't put anything but water in any of the Platy's.

Cassiusblack
04-10-2008, 15:29
Hello? (http://www.msrgear.com/hydration/cloudliner.asp) :D

Hello i was talking about Greentick. Smartass :D

Hooch
04-10-2008, 15:31
Hello i was talking about Greentick. Smartass :DGotta love you Brits, always with the quick wit. ;)

Johnny Swank
04-10-2008, 15:36
2 1-liter Dr. Pepper bottles. Accept no substitutes.

1 2-liter playpus for occasional camp use. I almost always camp at dry sites now, but eat dinner in the afternoon at a convenient water source then hike on a couple more hours. Rarely carry more than 1 liter most of the time.

slowandlow
04-10-2008, 15:49
2-liter Walmart bladder while walking, 1 liter Nalgene cantene for in camp or for extra while hiking through a dry area. I gather water in a 1 gal ziplock, then filter from it. This lets any sediment settle in the bottom and keeps my Hiker Pro filter nice and clean; i.e. I've never had a clog.

Cherokee Bill
04-10-2008, 15:54
:-? Camelback brand hydration packs, w/tube. Used for years, backpacking, road/Mtn biking and trout-fishing. Never had one problem.;)

At home I store the bladder in the refrig, keeps mold from growing inside :rolleyes:

Alligator
04-10-2008, 15:59
3l Platypus for hiking, a 96 oz Nalgene Cantene for camp, and a 1l Platypus to mix powdered drinks in (usually in camp). I also use the extra capacity of the Cantene to dry camp.

In the winter I bring a 1l widemouth Nalgene, and leave the 1l Platypus and Cantene home.

Cassiusblack
04-10-2008, 16:26
Gotta love you Brits, always with the quick wit. ;)

I did consider using the term smartarse instead of smartass but i went with the american term instead of ol' blighty's...

Montego
04-10-2008, 19:23
For this years hike I'll be using:

2 x 1 ltr Platys
2 x 1 ltr Gatorades

I don't plan on carrying all the containers filled while hiking, most likely just the 2 Gatorades, but I like having the capacity of 4 ltrs for use in camp.

I also am carrying a small green plastic scoop salvaged from an empty detergent box for use in scooping water if the source is too shallow or too small to scoop with the Gatorade bottles or just not condusive to using my Hiker Filter.

Haven't decided yet if I want to go with the Platy cap option w/hose or just drink directly from the containers. :-?

johnnyblisters
04-10-2008, 19:50
1 1.5 L Platy w/ tube
1 soda bottle
I carry about 2 liters at a time and if I need more I fill up some ziplocks and hike on.

Summit
04-10-2008, 21:38
Reliance collapsible camp jug at 7.3 oz:

http://www.rei.com/product/402099

One or two Nalgene bottles depending on the hike / conditions.

The camp jug allows me to get water one time in camp . . . very nice when the water source isn't real close. I can't stand drinking through tubes.

greentick
04-12-2008, 01:50
why no drinking tubes guys? Did you just not get one that came with a hose or do you not want one in particular?

I can reach my water while wearing the pack with some minor contorting. I found that I overdrink with the drinking tube so I stopped using it to save water, strangely enough. When I pull my water I just slug a bunch down. Works for me. Saves a couple of ounces without the tubing.

Bourbon goes into my mug for enjoyment, no eye protection required;)

bigcranky
04-12-2008, 11:01
Keeping the tube clean was a major PITA, in my experience.

On my current pack I can easily reach back for a water bottle, take a drink, and put it back. No biggie.

Summit
04-12-2008, 12:17
Keeping the tube clean was a major PITA, in my experience.

On my current pack I can easily reach back for a water bottle, take a drink, and put it back. No biggie.Same here . . . my Gregory McKinley pack has a made-for-Nalgene-bottle holder with an elastic cord that slips over to keep it from sliding out when you bend over, but it's right at my hip when I need a drink - just reach back, flip the cord off, pull it out, take a drink, put it back, without having to take the pack off and on. Works great and no feeling like I'm in an ICU on life support with tubes stuck in me! :p :)