PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 1990 Thru Hikers

Marko Polo
04-10-2008, 16:22
Trying to track down contact information for thru hikers from 1990. Hope to get a reunion together to celebrate 20 year anniversary at Trail Days in 2010.

If you can offer any info let me know.

Thanks, Marko

rafe
04-10-2008, 22:36
Marko, I started but didn't finish a thru in 1990. I made it to Catawba. In September of that year I walked sobo from Katahdin to Monson, and I believe I met you just south of Abol Bridge, and (if my notes are correct) you were traveling with a lady named Linda, aka Hunger Hiker. I believe the date of our encounter was Sept. 12, 1990. PS: I finally finished the trail, in sections, last September.

There are at least two other Class of '90s on WB: Geek and Pennsylvania Rose. (Geek did a 2nd through hike some years later...) I've had occasional contact with Cosmic Charlie (Mike Harrison) -- he's a cop in Phoenix these days. I also have contacted Carol Moore (Lagunatic) not too long ago. There are some photos of my '90 hike here (http://www.terrapinphoto.com/Appalachian%20Trail0.html).

Wolf - 23000
04-11-2008, 12:35
Marko,

Dam, why did you have to bring that up. It has been almost 20 years sense I've did my first thru-hike or in the case of 1990, 1 1/2. I met most of the thru-hikers that year including Jeff and Molly who brutally lost their life.

I wonder if we could get our two time thru-hiker to show up. Anyone know where Ward is these days.

Wolf

X-LinkedHiker
04-11-2008, 12:42
You are probably doing the best thing you can. Check all the forums and see who responds. whiteblaze.net, hikingforums.net, hikersjournal.org, alpinezone.com are some of the more common forums and AT trail hiker websites. Good luck getting a hold of those individuals you want to.

wilconow
04-11-2008, 14:54
met most of the thru-hikers that year including Jeff and Molly who brutally lost their life.

Curious,what happened? Weren't there thru-hikers killed around Pearisburg around that time?

Lone Wolf
04-11-2008, 14:55
Curious,what happened? Weren't there thru-hikers killed around Pearisburg around that time?

no. duncannon

wilconow
04-11-2008, 14:57
thanks LW, I see it here

http://www.aldha.org/murders.htm

They were the eighth and ninth people killed in the past two decades along the Appalachian Trail. "In three of those cases, they were double-murders: six incidents, nine murders," the ATC's Brian King was quoted as saying by the Associated Press.

In 1988, a man frightened two women off the trail and shot them, killing one, in south-central Pennsylvania. Stephen Roy Carr was sentenced to life in prison without parole. He acknowledge at the time that he shot the women because they were lesbians. Two years later, a man and his fiancee were shot to death as they slept in the Thelma Marks Shelter on the A.T. south of Duncannon, Pa. Paul David Crews is on death row after being convicted for their murders.

In May 1981, a man and a woman hiking from Maine to Georgia were killed in a remote cabin near Pearisburg, Va. Randall Lee Smith, who pleaded guilty to lesser charges, is again up for parole in September. A Wisconsin woman was hacked to death by a hiker with a hatchet in Tennessee in April 1975; her attacker died in prison. A 26-year-old man was killed at a shelter in Georgia in May 1974

also found this ny times article

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CEFDD163AF930A1575AC0A9669582 60

X-LinkedHiker
04-11-2008, 15:59
You might also be able to check with certain parks that the AT goes through for thru-hiker registration.

wilconow
04-11-2008, 16:00
^^^ Lol

Scaper
04-12-2008, 14:34
Hey Marko Polo, I started behind you on May 5 and never caught up to you. I started out hiking with No Matter and Styder. Also hiked with Squeezel and Dweezel, Stove stomper, Poptart, Wonder boy, Island time, Philly Lee, Grasshopper, Gizmo and Megahiker, Lonestar, Moose on the Loose , Spike on the hike, Nowhere man and woman, Thumper, Howard and Max, Dan and dave, Santa claus, Ward, and a bunch more who names I have forgotten. Might be intrested in Trail Days. I was in Damascus in 1990 on June 11 well after Trail Days. I finished my hike on Oct. 9. I didn't hike the trail to meet people and stay in towns but was surprised of the friendships I developed on the trail. I am pretty much a loner and like to hike alone.

Marko Polo
04-12-2008, 22:45
Scaper,

Good to hear from you. It looks like you were about a month behind me all the way. Ward is the only name that rings a bell on your list. But of course I'd like to contact as many folks as possible, whether I know them or not. If you come up with any contact info let me know so we can get a list going.

Thanks, Marko