PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for the PA section?

Ether
04-10-2008, 20:55
I'd like to thru-hike, but my partner is uncertain if thru-hiking is something they are interested in. We live in PA, and I was thinking of taking a week or so and the two of us doing the entirety of the PA section.

I've read many things on the AT itself, planning, etc. but I'm curious suggestions which are specific to the PA section in particular. We're looking at Sept-Oct for our hike.

I know that our state is known for it's horrendous rocks, and I'd like to apologize on behalf of the state. Any suggestions on the best way to manage the rocks? Best gear to have with us for the PA section? Things that we should definitely leave behind?

I'm looking for suggestions all across the range of subjects- gear, planning, funds, etc.

Thanks in advance, and I'm glad to be here!

buff_jeff
04-10-2008, 21:18
I sectioned PA last summer and it was my first real long-distance experience on the AT. Needless to say, it hooked me despite the negative connotation of our state.

The rocks are really only bad in the northern 76 miles--Duncannon through the Delaware Water Gap. There are more than enough bail out points, side trails, towns, and road crossings along the way. I don't think you really have anything to worry about. The trail goes right through the towns of Port Clinton, Duncannon and Boiling Springs, so you can resupply along the way in those areas. There are also hotels available in the Cumberland Valley if you need them. The southern section of the state is generally considered one of the easiest sections of trail on the entire AT, but I've found that there is no such thing as an *EASY* section of trail. I honestly don't think you need to do much planning for a state like this. You can really just pick a start point, plan a pick-up method for the end, and just walk until you're done.

Have fun! :banana

buff_jeff
04-10-2008, 21:21
Oh, as far as gear is concerned, if you have weaker ankles I'd look into a heavier pair of boots for that northern, rocky section, but for the rest anything will suffice. Trekking poles might also help you maintain balance in those areas. Besides that, just bring anything you'd normally bring. Water might be a little scarce in September, though, so be cognizant of how much you have at all times.

ki0eh
04-10-2008, 21:24
230 miles in a week is pretty ambitious except for thru-hikers in absolutely top form. If you routinely do the Laurel Highlands Trail in two nights you should do OK. If not, you may want to allow more time or do weekends between now and then to build yourself up.

I personally need ankle high leather boots to manage the "PA rocks" but I suspect that will be a minority opinion on this site.

The rocks are more noticeable north/east of Duncannon vs. south/west. If your backpacking experience is largely on the Mid State Trail in Bedford County you will wonder where the rocks you hear about are, on hitting the A.T. :D

Water will be an issue in Sept-Oct even in a normal year, a lot of the ridgetop springs will be dry. Otherwise temperatures should be pleasant and weather dry, except for the occasional tropical storm remnant in which case it will be very wet for a day or two. Buy and carry maps for clues to water (I think that's a very slight majority opinion on this site with a vocal minority).

Most of the A.T. in PA is open to hunting. You'll see hunters out from Columbus Day weekend on. Stay out of trouble where the A.T. passes through State Game Lands and understand the following: http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter135/s135.42.html

The Doyle Hotel really is as nice a place as people say. It's also smoky as heck.

Ether
04-10-2008, 21:39
One would think that staying at the shelters would be generally a safe location for overnight, but thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it.

Nearly Normal
04-11-2008, 03:59
Someone should apologize for all those icky bugs.

Ether
04-11-2008, 13:15
Last night we came up with a great idea which changes things a bit, but I think I like it. Doing West Virginia, Maryland, and then part-way into PA. The AT crosses pretty near where my partner's family lives, so it makes a great deal of sense. Would shorten the hike a goodly bit, but it's looking like taking 2 weeks off work might not be feasable at that point, so that's ok.

Anyone have their guides handy or know offhand which shelters are nearest to Lebanon/Lancaster? Harrisburg would work as well.

4eyedbuzzard
04-11-2008, 13:21
Here's a link to the online companion http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm
Just click on the WV, MD, PA section. Loads slow(big .pdf)

ki0eh
04-11-2008, 13:27
Peters Mountain or Clarks Ferry Shelters would be closest to Harrisburg.
Rausch Gap Shelter would be closest to Lebanon.

NativePennsylvanian
04-11-2008, 14:37
Someone should apologize for all those icky bugs.

Please, the prefered nomenclature is "out-of-staters"

Nearly Normal
04-12-2008, 00:40
I know that our state is known for it's horrendous rocks, and I'd like to apologize on behalf of the state.

Thanks!

Fly Rod
04-12-2008, 10:59
Peters Mountain or Clarks Ferry Shelters would be closest to Harrisburg.
Rausch Gap Shelter would be closest to Lebanon.

The sad part is that teens use these shelters on Fridays and Saturdays to party when the ridgerunner is not running (cold months). I don't know if they will still be watching in September/October. The shelters are great in January when it's 12 degrees, the folks worked hard to build them and did an awesome job; otherwise I have to agree with Lone Wolfe when he once said they should all be burned to the ground. I tend to just visit them briefly and find my own spot.

Oh, and I'm sure you've already been warned about the Peter's Mountain Shelter Spring. I think the Myans built those steps!

Cookerhiker
04-12-2008, 11:02
....Oh, and I'm sure you've already been warned about the Peter's Mountain Shelter Spring. I think the Myans built those steps!

Also, don't stay in Peters Mountain Shelter in cold weather unless you like the wind blowing in on you.

Fly Rod
04-12-2008, 11:16
Also, don't stay in Peters Mountain Shelter in cold weather unless you like the wind blowing in on you.

The tarp helps, but you are right. I was there with an exchange student when it was 18 degrees and blowing 40 MPH gusts. I should have used the tent!
I mean NO disrespect to GREAT Earl Shaffer (He is one of my idol's), but why in the world was his original shelter built on the windward side of the mountain, FACING the prevailing winds!?? I took my grandson up there for a nostalgic lesson this winter and slept in the famous lean-to. We woke up with a half inch of snow over us & everything else. Oh, and to boot, the fire pit is between the hut and the prevailing winds also. The boy "had" to have a fire and my eyes burned all night.

X-LinkedHiker
04-12-2008, 11:26
Hey ether. I have hikes the whole trail in PA and NJ. You are absolutely right about the rocks in PA, but no need to apologize. In fact, I think the rocks/Boulders are the best part as we're one of the only states that have this kind of terrain. The rocky parts don't really start until you start getting by or just north of the Lehigh Gap. Sept-Oct is a great time of year for many things. The weather should be warm but not exhaustingly hot and the views will be spectacular. The days start getting a little shorter at that time, so just make sure you plan enough time to setup camp each night.

You will really enjoy the lookout points among the central part, such as Bake Oven Knob up through the Del Water Gap.
These are the rocks we're talking about. They provide lots of fun and many of broken ankles. Good luck and enjoy.http://www.alphabluetech.com/kjhanlon/images/Picz/Albums/BOK/slides/100_3542.JPG

If you have any specific questions, certainly feel free to message me or so. Also, there are many AT hikers on the www.hikersjournal.org site that could also provide you with some help. Also, watch out for late season snakes and some wicked spiders.

ki0eh
04-12-2008, 21:38
I think the Myans built those steps!

Weeks of ATC Mid-Atlantic Trail Crew actually... :)

shelterbuilder
04-13-2008, 11:02
Weeks of ATC Mid-Atlantic Trail Crew actually... :)

Yes, aren't they descendents of Mayans!!!

Don't forget to wear at least 250 sq.inches of blaze orange that can be seen 360* - on State Game Lands; this is mandatory for EVERYONE during hunting season; elsewhere during hunting season, it's not a bad idea.

The rocks will tend to slow you down, so plan a little extra hike time. And carry maps - if the primary water sources are still dry, you can use the maps to locate secondary sources that are either not signed along the footpath or that are further down the mountainside than the primary sources.

Ether
04-13-2008, 18:14
Growing up I had to wear blaze orange in my backyard, and had to put vests on my cats when they went out, for fear of getting shot. I love the venison and goose we get from hunter friends, but they sure make enjoying the outdoors a might annoying at times.

Ether
04-13-2008, 18:17
My partner (who grew up hunting and whose father hunts) just mentioned that at least for hunting animals who have a specific hunting season and at least in PA, hunting is NOT permitted on Sundays. At least that's a day of respite from the possibility of hearing random gunshots. My thought is blaze orange is still a good idea on Sundays though.

Fly Rod
04-14-2008, 22:04
Growing up I had to wear blaze orange in my backyard, and had to put vests on my cats when they went out, for fear of getting shot. I love the venison and goose we get from hunter friends, but they sure make enjoying the outdoors a might annoying at times.

I heard somebody on NPR joking that hunting became pointless and obsolete with the invention of the steakhouse.:D

tina.anderson
04-15-2008, 13:05
Oh, as far as gear is concerned, if you have weaker ankles I'd look into a heavier pair of boots for that northern, rocky section, but for the rest anything will suffice. Trekking poles might also help you maintain balance in those areas. Besides that, just bring anything you'd normally bring. Water might be a little scarce in September, though, so be cognizant of how much you have at all times.

I would definitely suggest heavier boots too. I have been hiking in that area before and I do have skinny ankles, so I paid the price when I wore cross-training sneakers the first time.