PDA

View Full Version : Greetings all! Newbie to white blaze here.

HeartoftheTrail
04-11-2008, 02:07
Hey all!:sun

Just thought I'd introduce myself to everyone around here. My name is Eric and I'm from central Ohio. For the past 2 months I've been planning my 30 day excursion into the AT starting in good ol' Georgia. If any of you have any good tips or anything it would be much appreciated as I am looking to learn as much as I possibly can before my trip. This just looked like the place to do it.

1 last thing, what are these trail names I keep hearing about? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Rain Man
04-11-2008, 03:56
Eric, welcome to WhiteBlaze! You can find a lot of information and helpful folks here. Don't forget how helpful the trail maintenance clubs themselves can be. It's "their" trail and they are the "horse's mouth" to go to for solid, up-to-date (and even ahead-of-date) information on their section of the trail.

The Georgia AT club has a web site at http://www.georgia-atclub.org/ and I found them to be very helpful when I was preparing to hike Georgia.

Trail names are just nicknames some folks use on the AT. You can pick your own or wait on someone to give you one on the trail.

Best to you and have a great hike!

Rain:sunMan

camojack
04-11-2008, 03:57
Hey all!:sun
Just thought I'd introduce myself to everyone around here. My name is Eric and I'm from central Ohio. For the past 2 months I've been planning my 30 day excursion into the AT starting in good ol' Georgia. If any of you have any good tips or anything it would be much appreciated as I am looking to learn as much as I possibly can before my trip. This just looked like the place to do it.
1 last thing, what are these trail names I keep hearing about? Sorry if it's a dumb question.
This is definitely a good place for information related to hiking the A.T., et al.

Coincidentally, I'll actually be in Columbus, OH this very weekend for a friend's wedding.

Trail names are nicknames people use on the trail; some people choose their own, others are given to them by their fellow hikers...

:welcome

HeartoftheTrail
04-11-2008, 03:59
Awesome, great info already. I've been looking into the site for about 2 hours now and I have to say, It still looks like I've got even more to read and I've already written down about 4 pages of notes .:banana

Thanks again guys.

Thoughtful Owl
04-11-2008, 11:00
Welcome to WB you have come to the best place on the internet for information and advise on hiking, backpacking etc. A "30 day excursion"? What are your plans? When are you planning to do this hike? Is this a one time deal, do sections or what? What kind of bp experience do you have? All these questions will allow for better feedback and advise to you.

I am originally from Southeastern OH down on the OH River near Marietta. Moved to VA in '81 to be closer to the AT. Wouldn't move back to OH for anything in the world.

envirodiver
04-11-2008, 11:14
:welcome
As many have said this is a great place for info on the trail and bnackpacking in general. Lots of experience in here.

Note the search function on the bar above. An excellent way to find previously posted info, as well as asking specific questions through thread posting.

Have a great hike:banana

bloodmountainman
04-11-2008, 11:45
Welcome! Be glad to give any information about Ga. trail section you may need or desire.:D

Mags
04-11-2008, 12:14
Only two real "rules" for outdoor activities: Be safe and have fun. :)

Everything else is just gravy.

Have an awesome trip!

X-LinkedHiker
04-11-2008, 12:40
Welcome to the WB forums Eric. You won't be disappointed with any part of the AT. I don't think you could anyways. Trailnames is just some nicknames for some tree huggers who probably didn't pay taxes and doesn't feel like using real names anymore to avoid getting caught. Ha ha. If my mom wanted to call me the Mighty Oak, she would have. Until the sign from god, i go by Kevin. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-11-2008, 12:49
Welcome

CrumbSnatcher
04-11-2008, 15:02
welcome

Montego
04-11-2008, 15:27
Welcome to WhiteBlaze Heartofthetrail :welcome

HeartoftheTrail
04-11-2008, 15:33
I suppose I should have been a little more specific yeah? What I meant by "30 day excursion" was that I'm starting my section hike of the AT starting on June 1st. I would LOVE to thru-hike it, however, finding a partner that has that much time on his or her hands has proven to be quite difficult.

CrumbSnatcher
04-11-2008, 15:43
you could easly make it to katahdin starting june 1st, 4 1/2 month trip, avg. 16 miles per day... you'll meet alot of people on the trail,you don't have to start with a partner to end up with one. good luck

MoBill122
04-11-2008, 17:04
Welcome to WhiteBlaze !

My first advice would be to get in shape, but then you're a young man, not an old fellow like me.

Just keep posting notes, someone may just be looking for a partner in that time frame too.

Heck... I might even hike the GA AT with you!