PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know...?

Passionphish
04-11-2008, 12:59
I am looking for a website, or websites, that list the average weight of food per meal, per person (adult and child)

I'm hoping to include both dehydrated and not dehyrated food. I have started a project about the total cost of a three day, two night hike. Carbon, money, stress (or the lack of it), everything. But I have run into a snag with food. Any help would be much appreciated!

-Passionphish

Cuffs
04-11-2008, 14:51
I have read/heard between 1.5 & 2 # per person, per day. On week long hikes, I usually take between 1 & 1.5#.

budforester
04-11-2008, 15:58
There is much individual variation. For weekend outings, I calculate 2 times the serving size on Nutrition Facts panels. Those state "normal" intakes of 2,000 or 2,500 Cal. On longer hikes, that's not enough, and a couple thru- hikers can wipe out an AYCE buffet. Websites in my bookmarks show "normal" quantities. SGT Rock gave some figures that work for him on his trailjournal; maybe that will help; here's a link. (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=207105)

PS you might find some published military studies on caloric needs and things like MRE standards.

Passionphish
04-11-2008, 21:30
Ooooo... Military sites. Hadn't thought of that.... Thanks!

Thanks for the link Budforester!!!!!

Nearly Normal
04-12-2008, 01:51
On short trips I usually don't have much of an appetite. Always wind up packing out food.

zeal
04-12-2008, 03:00
Don't forget to pack your portable dvd player and a copy of "Over the Top" starring Sylvester Stallone.