PDA

View Full Version : experienced hikers -- weather/ETA

raye_raye
04-11-2008, 15:33
I'm dropping for someone in Fontana, who is currently in Franklin. According to the weather it says they are experiencing sev. rain/snow and freezing temps. My droppee is rather experienced and by no means a newb although they lost contact with me due to weather. Anyone have any suggestion as to what their ETA might be, taking into consideration the weather?

thanks ahead to any comments

Lone Wolf
04-11-2008, 15:35
I'm dropping for someone in Fontana, who is currently in Franklin. According to the weather it says they are experiencing sev. rain/snow and freezing temps. My droppee is rather experienced and by no means a newb although they lost contact with me due to weather. Anyone have any suggestion as to what their ETA might be, taking into consideration the weather?

thanks ahead to any comments

the weather in franklin? nothing like you describe
http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/ski/local/USNC0246?from=recentsearch
it's a 5 day hike

raye_raye
04-11-2008, 15:43
I may be absolutely wrong about current conditions although it said last night that it was going to rain all day tomorrow and possibly snow the next with freezing temps. Please excuse my newbiness... When looking on the map there is severe weather in the general direction although i may be totally misquided..

Bare Bear
04-11-2008, 15:53
I am in Robbinsville now Friday 4 pm........which is near Stecoah Gap between NOC and Fontana. What is your hikers name? I have a log of those that passed thru within tthe past week at Stecoah Gap at NC143. It rained a little this morning and is cloudy but the bad rain is not due until late tonight or Saturday, then snow for Sunday Monday especially up near Clingmans and the Smokies it will be pretty cold thru next Thursday.

CrumbSnatcher
04-11-2008, 15:59
2-4 days. depending on the weather,the hiker,how late of a start out of the motel their probably in in franklin. some good climbs and sights on this section. could check for them at the N.O.C. good luck

raye_raye
04-11-2008, 16:15
..... I have a log of those that passed thru within tthe past week at Stecoah Gap at NC143... then snow for Sunday Monday especially up near Clingmans and the Smokies it will be pretty cold thru next Thursday.
I'm sorry I'm affraid I don't know where she would be at in comparison to those locations, nor do I know what stecoah gap an nc143 means...once again excuse my newbiness...

For reasons beyond my knowledge I was asked not to release her name/trail name publicly...

although with gathered information I am going to just suggest the ETA to be 4/15...

bigcranky
04-11-2008, 19:49
Do you not have a data book or maps? They might come in handy. The AT Databook shows mileage for every significant point on the trail, including road crossings and towns. It's not expensive, and is available at any outfitter.

Stecoah Gap/NC 143 is about 40 miles north of Winding Stair Gap, which is where the trail crosses the road to Franklin. It's about 15 miles south of Fontana.

If the hiker is in Franklin right now, it's a 5-6 day hike to Fontana.

GlazeDog
04-11-2008, 22:03
Don't worry. I'm sure your friend will call from NOC (1 1/2 days hike from Franklin). NOC is definitely civilization--restaurant, hiker hostel, outfitters, etc. I'm sure they will contact you from there--whatever the weather may be. Also know there are many people hiking that section right now, so I'm sure she is safely within an hour or less of the next hiker.

happy trails,
GlazeDog