PDA

View Full Version : Inherited gear (aka Let's play name that gear!)

Ether
04-12-2008, 00:37
So, after moving and losing a goodly number of our worldly possessions in addition to selling off stuff we didn't think we needed anymore (or which we outgrew), we're now inheriting gear for upcoming longer hikes.

Most recent inheritance includes two thermarest sleeping pads, and two sleeping bags. Now, I'm pretty confident saying that the bags aren't going to be suitable for serious weather... but I am wondering what they can handle. They are LL Bean labeled, though it seems that LL Bean no longer carries their own branded bags so I can't look them up that way. Photos coming soon.

The thermarests are orange, and definitely short. Is there a way to tell which version of pad I've got? Distinguishing marks or design bits?

I'm sure this game will continue not just for me, but for others as well. It'll be fun! Name that gear!

bkrownd
04-12-2008, 01:11
Feel free to inherit some of my old gear, as well... ;)

jlb2012
04-12-2008, 08:23
valves on older thermorests were brass - a distinguishing mark so to speak

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-12-2008, 08:34
This link (http://www.trailspace.com/gear/l.l.-bean/sleeping-bags/) may help you identify the LL Bean sleeping bags.

NICKTHEGREEK
04-12-2008, 08:52
Thermarests are pretty much categorized by length, width, and thickness. Measure then compare to a chart from a site that bsells them. Weight is also a factor but I'm hesitant to suggest that anyone weigh gear as it leads to acute gram-weenieism.

envirodiver
04-12-2008, 10:07
I have one of those older, orange, Thermorests. Had it forever.

Ether
04-12-2008, 10:13
The thermorests do have black plastic valves, so they aren't THAT old then. I'll have to inflate on and see what it measures.

I was really shocked to get these for free! Even if the bags aren't worthy of autumn trips for me, the pads will be quite welcome!

mudhead
04-12-2008, 13:31
I have a black valve pad. Circa '89. 2 1/2 lb in bag.

I use it alot. In the truck.